Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zaa Boogie posted:

Quoting this so I acn save for later but also a question: Do you fight off the pirates in the first attack and then ignore the freighter or do you ignore the pirates and the situation entirely?

You can finish the encounter and go all the way into the freighter and check out the stats if you want. As long as you don't accept it, you'll still get the next one free. I did it on my new character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I really wish there was a way to skip npc dialog. I feel like somehow the npc chatter is way less interesting than it was pre-expansion, and also it sucks to have to wait all that time every time I want to buy something or get a nav map. It gets really annoying really quick.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Is there a single person who thinks based were improved by wiring?

Should have been optional or at least not loving needed for the teleporter systems.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wiring / power management doesn't annoy me too much but it was much better in Astroneer. Haven't experimented with the switches yet though.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone looked if you can use the nexus to travel to other systems and buy poo poo at those systems? I’m curious if the nexus a man be used to find S/Exotic multi tools and ships.

Also I’m going to have to relearn all the stargaze glyphs again but I read you can learn those from travelers in space stations and don’t necessarily need to do the entire storyline?
If you go to the Nexus portal, you can travel to other people's bases. So I guess you could travel to their base, get in your ship, then look around in the system / space station and stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I remember playing this game on release day on PS4 and being blown away by it and thinking “this would be amazing in VR” but I thought that first release would be all we’d get and the game would never make it to VR.

What a weird world we live in.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Zaa Boogie posted:

Quoting this so I acn save for later but also a question: Do you fight off the pirates in the first attack and then ignore the freighter or do you ignore the pirates and the situation entirely?

Have to beat the pirates to get a chance to buy the frieghter

Shorter version of the freighter hunting tutorial:
1.get in your spaceship - Warp, land on a planet, manual save, warp, planet, save, warp, save until your next warp results in a freighter under attack. (Every 5-6 warps triggers a freighter attack on the next warp).
2. Don't Save. Reload, and warp to different systems, reloading without saving, until you see the freighter you want (each system has a pre-set freighter, design/size/color).
3. When you see the freighter you want, STOP. WRITE DOWN THE SYSTEM YOURE IN. Don't Save, don't reload.
4. Kill the pirates, board the freighter, talk to the captain. The ship's class (A-S) and # of slots spawns randomly when you warp in. If you like it, buy it.
5. If you want to re-roll until you get an S Class, reload your Manual Save (because you have an autosave from getting out of your ship in the hangar), look at the name of the system you WROTE DOWN, and warp back in, wash, rinse, repeat!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Does it have to be a planet or can I save in the station?

Wait it has to be a plent because you’re saving with the save station right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does it have to be a planet or can I save in the station?

Wait it has to be a plent because you’re saving with the save station right?

You save every time you exit the ship on a planet or a station (but not a freighter for whatever reason). You can only place a save station on a planet.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Early game money tip: there are planets that have something like recoverable technology in their scan sheet, if you find a recoverable technology module it can be worth millions. It's not as easy as dinosaur bones though you have to mine off armor as a corrupted sentinel tries to kill you

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well this is a weird predicament:

I had to force quite two times before it went to normal. The first time I tried to leave via space and when I got the entrance I got ejected from my ship and went hurtling through space. The second time I was like "well why don't I try to leave via the portal" but most of the Anomaly decided it wasn't going to load, an then I got teleported out of bounds above the area. :shrug:

Unrelated:

My dude HOW ARE YOU ALIVE

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That happened to me as well. Seems that if you save / reload in the nexus it can get you stuck in limbo until the game syncs you into a MP session. So keep reloading or moving around until you see other players. That’s when it’s safe to exit.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Party Boat posted:

Wiring / power management doesn't annoy me too much but it was much better in Astroneer. Haven't experimented with the switches yet though.

That's kinda what No Man's Sky has become really, a collection of systems added in from other games all thrown into one but individually executed much worse than whichever game they're copied from (for the most part).

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

Early game money tip: there are planets that have something like recoverable technology in their scan sheet, if you find a recoverable technology module it can be worth millions. It's not as easy as dinosaur bones though you have to mine off armor as a corrupted sentinel tries to kill you

That's my cash cow too. I have one specific planet where the environment is very hostile (it's extremely warm), but it's filled with salvage. So I just bolt from salvage to salvage and whenever the temp goes up, I dig a hole and wait it out.
The corrupt sentinels aren't hard to handle either. The first salvage I dug up was from a tunnel I had dug to escape the heath. But the sentinel spawned above ground and couldn't really do anything to me while I shot at it.
So now I just dig below the salvage, shoot of the armor, kill the sentinel and go on to the next.

Edit: Don't know if any of this is some sort of a spoiler, may as well play it safe.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Man this game made me super motion sick. Been a while since a game did that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For anyone starting this game for the first time (and for those that never bothered checking): each space station you visit has stores on one side of it. One of these stores is for exosuit upgrades and behind the little dude is an exosuit hologram you can buy an extra space slot (general/tech/cargo). You can buy an extra slot at EVERY station you visit. Price goes up with each purchase but there’s no reason to always make that purchase.

There’s one exosuit upgrade in the nexus as well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also I just realized that I’m.... not being charged for the suit upgrades? :wtf:

EDIT: just double checked and yeah I am not being charged to upgrade my suit in the space stations. Whoo!

EDIT2: I'm calling it a night but for those freighter hunting - in addition to having to make the 5-6 jumps there's a time component of 2-3 hours (in-game?) before a freighter battle can take place again.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 18, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Better in Astroneer, hell, better in Fallout 4.

hosed with my mind that powered doors need to be *unpowered* to be open. We don't have automatically opening doors anymore. Hrrmmmm. Guess we just need to go the Minecraft route and put switches or pressure plates down...

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You don't need active power to your base to teleport TO it. You just need power to use the teleporter to return to wherever you came from.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My friends seem to be having their freighters go missing/cease to exist. Although it's just meant they can get another through the pirate encounter.

Group sessions definitely seem like they've got a lot of bugs. Like more then usual.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Pigbottom posted:

I really wish there was a way to skip npc dialog. I feel like somehow the npc chatter is way less interesting than it was pre-expansion, and also it sucks to have to wait all that time every time I want to buy something or get a nav map. It gets really annoying really quick.

I really hate that 99% of all NPCs are basically just a knowledge stone with more clicking. I don't really know what the point of learning the words is now that nobody says anything to you of any importance. Has anyone played around with the 'practice speech' system and gotten that to do anything interesting?

quote:

Also I just realized that I’m.... not being charged for the suit upgrades?

I just double checked because you said that and I can confirm I also don't pay for suit upgrades.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I shored up my performance issues a little tonight in VR. steam was trying to super sample the game at 150%, which was killing my 1080ti. Did all the usual stuff, reduce monitor resolution , fov, etc.

The one thing that really seemed to help was turning off FPSVR, which is a 3rd party in-game FPS monitoring thing. It and NMS do not seem to like each other.

Anyway, I finally got to sit down and put 2 solid hours in the game. It’s pretty amazing. I built a base right outside of a massive cave system on my home planet of Noxville VIII, a name which the game chose and I’m keeping

I spent some time just climbing and exploring and taking in the sights. When you get fully immersed in this game in VR it’s truly amazing. This is what I always wanted VR to be.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
The updated inventory limits and the lack of the upgrade costs are a real welcome change and probably I will play this game farther this time.

Bedurndurn posted:

. Has anyone played around with the 'practice speech' system and gotten that to do anything interesting?

A broken nose from a Vy'keen.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

How’s the psvr quality

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Base building in VR using Vive wands doesn't really work right, you can't change colors because the input just doesn't seem to handle it properly in multiple ways.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Has anyone managed to get a PS4 or XBOX One controller working alongside Rift Touch Controller. Flying with the hand controllers sucks rear end.

XB1 controller works perfectly in non-VR NMS, as soon as I fire it up in SteamVR the bindings are all screwed and it wont pick up the thumbstick input as a joystick at all.

Is there anyway to force SteamVR to use the normal controller bindings?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Is there a reason all my normal base doors are open and won't close? It has power and everything.

edit: nevermind, it did not have power, I thought the structure itself would receive power automatically as soon as there was attached power available. Silly me, definitely glad i have to run an extension cord from my front door to the generator.

edit2: doors are closed when powered PERIOD, not 'auto detects you and opens or closes' wtf :cripes:

they added cable management to NMS whyyyyyyy :cripes: :cripes:

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 18, 2019

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
jesus christ the entire outside of the base automatically gets power lines and power sockets for easy access but i have to run an extension cord to my goddamn vault

god drat whoever designed this is brain dead

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Managed to meet up with a friend in the Nexus last night. We tried a couple of Nexus missions together (kill dangerous plants and hunt pirates) but both times when we left the Nexus it seemed like it instanced us separately? We were still partied up but couldn't see each other, although in both cases our kills counted towards the overall goal - I got a mission complete notification when I was halfway through a wave of pirates.

Has anyone else tried them? This can't be what was intended surely?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

In vr if you use a trade terminal at a ground spaceport your vr space reference point gets attached to the trade terminal which subtly floats up and down, it's nauseating

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone else walking through the Nexus caressing peoples faces in VR, dry thrusting, or titty-twisters to other players? It’s fantastic and I can’t stop myself.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone seen NPC ships since the update? It's kind of spooky, but I've now traveled through multiple star systems without ever seeing NPC ships land. Or even show up. I think I saw a green ship for a nano second, but it just vanished mid-flight. I think I'm now in the ghost dimension

Also even after two hotfixes, the upload all button still is dead as a door nail.

And trying to build suit upgrades from old stations makes the UI flip the gently caress out. At least I don't lose money after buying from them, though. So that stopped working, either by bug or on purpose with a display bug added in

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I see them constantly. Flying over head or in stations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I see.

I guess this bug is just for myself. I feel special! :v:

Edit:

Wait, an update: Only ships in stations are gone. Just landed on a planet and saw ships flying overhead.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 18, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve built several skyscrapers and put Landing pads on them for fast access. One of my constant annoyances is that some jerk will use it as a parking spot.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone else walking through the Nexus caressing peoples faces in VR, dry thrusting, or titty-twisters to other players? It’s fantastic and I can’t stop myself.

It's really fantastic how much of a jerk you can be

This is going to be a real problem for VR gaming I think in the future, being able to violate people's personal space but anyway noogie all Gek is what I'm saying

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

For anyone who's done the free great freighter trick to get a capital ship, I read somewhere that a capital ship pops every 3 hours of play, is that continuous playtime or just 3 hours in total even if you quit out halfway or whatever?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCh8qkFgtmU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My god they've definitely hosed up something performance wise. I don't remember it being close to this bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

dogstile posted:

My god they've definitely hosed up something performance wise. I don't remember it being close to this bad.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues. Has Hello acknowledged it?