Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Sindai posted:

I wonder if insect breathing means she breathes through her skin

you will regret your words and deeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fabricated posted:

I guess they're solving the no narrator problem with filler material that negates the need for one. Makes sense I guess?

It's not really filler since it's plot relevant though. It's more like taking creative license for clarity.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shinobu is real good
trust me on this

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I've not read the manga.

But so far all the characters have been cool and good. (After Zenitsu got over his annoying phase...)

The animation and sound design as mentioned previously have been great too. This is such a good series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am pretty sure that the Father Spider Demon transformation was possibly him removing the modifications Rui made to him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

some good, good shinobu content this week

almost makes up for it not being what i expected, but i'm sure next week they'll finally leave this mountain

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I did feel some pity for the Elder Sister Demon, even though she was a bad person. Given the focus she got I was originally wondering if it was planned for her to be spared and turn, but Gotoge changed her mind and decided to use her to show off Shinobu.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Alder posted:

i love shinobu and kinda sad the entire series will be ending soon.

this show was pretty much ubiquitous in akiba when i was there a month ago and is pumping out merchandise, a second season is probably a safe bet

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

yes the episode was great and all but can we get more jabami yumeko

Ah hell yes we got the jabami yumeko demon slayer

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Homura and Sickle posted:

this show was pretty much ubiquitous in akiba when i was there a month ago and is pumping out merchandise, a second season is probably a safe bet
my question is what the state of Ufotable is given the investigation over tax evasion.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gotta admit I did not like them undermining last weeks fantastic episode by having Rui completely bullshit himself to be fine just so they can arbitrarily rob Tanjiro of the win.

I guess the author didn't want Tanjiro to actually be on that level yet and wanted to show off whatshisface but it still felt really cheap and lame.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
To me it seemed moreso to show that even though Tanjiro has gotten a lot more powerful, he still doesn't really have poo poo on even one of the lower moons, it's the stereotypical "there's a whole world of power that the MC has barely scratched the surface of" thing. It's not really about showing Giyuu off because (very slight spoiler for the next few episodes/the next arc, if I remember correctly) Giyuu doesn't really feature again until a few arcs later - aside from what i think the next episode is gonna cover. So it's not like Giyuu comes back and features a lot from now on.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 18, 2019

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, the whole "protagonist does all-or-nothing attack that seemingly defeats the villain at the end of episode, but at the beginning of the next episode it's revealed that the villain actually countered it and the the protagonist is at their mercy! But wait! A new character appears! And he is super cool and effortlessly defeats villain with his own super-move!" reminded me of Bleach, which is not a praise, to say the least. Also was not super thrilled about how the show decided to conclude the whole thing with spider sister. I guess I was supposed to be OK with her death when it was pointed out that she killed tons of people, but at that point it was obvious that the spiderbro would have tortured and killed her if she even thought about going off script in any way, like not wanting to kill people, so I felt that it was a lot less damming the the show wanted it to. And the bug lady going "hey, do you want to be survive and be my friend? Well, I'll have to torture you so hard you would die multiple times if you were a human first, but no biggie right? No? Oh, well, agonizing death time via anti-demon poison!" right after the flashback made it clear that spider sister is basically abuse victim was also super weird and made bug lady look like unhinged psychopath.

Was not feeling this episode at all.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The entire family were abuse victims. A sort of microcosm of how demons in general are victims of Muzan (who when not just acting on a whim preys on the vulnerable, turning them into monsters and forcing them to join his cult).

But the point with the sister's taunting and the flashback was to show that even for a demon (who have to turn psychopathic as a survival strategy) she was unusually cruel and duplicitous - we get right into her head, so we see how all she ever cared about was herself, and that remaining part of the family and playing the house game was a decision driven by self-interest rather than fear of Rui. She gets angry for loving up, because she had been playing it perfectly up until that point. Unlike the mother and the other sister who were disgusted and terrified, she was consciously using him to her advantage.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 18, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

she sold out her own sister immediately so yeah, the episode is pretty much flipping your previously-established sympathy on its head there. same goes for rui getting basically nothing in terms of redemption unlike the last few demons tanjiro has taken down.

i think the degree to which they played up the kagura and igniting blood last week is more to blame for giyuu's appearance feeling hollow to people though. they pretty much had to immediately undercut that lol. but we've known the guy is a badass from ep1 and he's already well-established as being on mountain cleanup duty so it hardly comes out of nowhere.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think the extended spider girl sequence was anime original. Either way, you are looking it at wrong, contrast "sister" with the "mother" spiders, both murdered a bunch of people but when push came to shove the mother realized that she would be better off dead while the sister was always thinking about self preservation to the very end. The scene showing that the mother was actually a little girl forced to play the role makes it even harder.

As for the rest really disliked spider boy surviving, less so in the anime than in the manga. The scene isn't sold that hard in the manga as they did in the anime so the payoff didn't feel completely stolen. But its important to show the gap between the pillars and Tanjiro and that his super special secret technique cant match years of single minded devotion to killing demons

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
shinobowns

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Pillars make up for being the strong cjaracter squad by being immensely entertaining.

Like Shinobu
Who owns

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am pretty sure that the Father Spider Demon transformation was possibly him removing the modifications Rui made to him.

they were modified to be more like spiders so they could fit rui's family aesthetic so I doubt it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
shoulda been some cool hosed up women siblings spiders. the guys looked weird and the girls just Got Tattoos

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
In a way, every battle with a demon is a gamble of sorts so Shinobu is compulsive gambler in voice and temperament

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
the little flourish on shinobu’s jacket when she was dodging the web attacks is really good. also i don’t hate Rui cutting off his head to deprive tanjirou of his win. it’s a logical way for the show how strong fire breathing is without making the hashira look disappointing. and it’s a “You didn’t win! I owned myself!” and those are always fun

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not *super* bothered by it, but I do wish Rui was just more expressive of a character so the audience could get more of a sense that he panicked/actually thought Tanjiro was about to kill him for a second. That way it would at least feel like Tanjiro won a small victory just by freaking Rui out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm not *super* bothered by it, but I do wish Rui was just more expressive of a character so the audience could get more of a sense that he panicked/actually thought Tanjiro was about to kill him for a second. That way it would at least feel like Tanjiro won a small victory just by freaking Rui out.

Well he would not have cut his head off if he did not think Tanjiro was about to kill him.

Conspiratiorist posted:

But the point with the sister's taunting and the flashback was to show that even for a demon (who have to turn psychopathic as a survival strategy) she was unusually cruel and duplicitous - we get right into her head, so we see how all she ever cared about was herself, and that remaining part of the family and playing the house game was a decision driven by self-interest rather than fear of Rui. She gets angry for loving up, because she had been playing it perfectly up until that point. Unlike the mother and the other sister who were disgusted and terrified, she was consciously using him to her advantage.

I would not mark her as especially cruel and duplicitous. Just cowardly and purely interested in self preservation.

She joined up with Rui cause he was strong, and would help protect her. She sold out the other sister, because she did not want to leave the protection Rui offered, did not want Rui to take his anger out on her if she escaped, and wanted to increase her standing in Rui's eyes. When the family was being defeated by the Demon Slayers she relies on Father to protect her, before trying to convince Rui to escape with her, so she can keep his protection. When Rui expresses interest in Nezuko she worries about Rui abandoning her. When she realizes that Shinobu is dangerous she immediately begs Shinobu to spare her.

The only time her self preservation instincts lower is when her fear of Shinobu is overpowered by her anger at Shinobu for offering her false hope.

And it was false hope, Shinobu never had any intention of sparing her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think I figured out the origin of the headless Demon the Mother manipulated. He was likely a member of the family that displeased Rui and so was reduced to a puppet for the Mother to use.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Worthwhile info here:

https://twitter.com/itsbonedaddy/status/1163875596926984193?s=21

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
With this episode it is clear that Shinobu never had any intentions of sparing the Sister.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Can't wait to meet this gang of weirdos

butterfly apprentice is the worst person in history for trying to murder cute escaping Nezuko

Mismatched Haori putting Shinobu in a headlock was great

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
sigh... of course Rui gets half of an episode for his tragic backstory, a moment of pity from good-boy Tanshiro and implied forgiveness in afterlife, because I guess he shown a regret in literally last second he spent living on this earth?

Yeah...whatever, at least this new stuff with Demon Hunter Organization looks great.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How much time do we have left, anyway?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Like... episodes? 5 more

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

sigh... of course Rui gets half of an episode for his tragic backstory, a moment of pity from good-boy Tanshiro and implied forgiveness in afterlife, because I guess he shown a regret in literally last second he spent living on this earth?

he is literally going to hell

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah...whatever, at least this new stuff with Demon Hunter Organization looks great.

Tanjiro isnt a shonen Jesus type.
Its not forgiveness, its pity.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Uh, if you don't like that you should probably just fast forward past the end of every fight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lt. Lizard posted:

Tanjiro doesn't know anyone's backstory. He just smells a ridiculously overpowering scent of "my life was loving awful, yall" from every demon he kills, so that bugs him. I mean, skip the flash backs if you'd like, and you can put yourself in his shoes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

none of the demons are forgiven when they die

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kinda almost as if the show's underlying theme is how a person, or people, in power exploit society's most vulnerable and turn them into cruel and base creatures.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Manatee Cannon posted:

none of the demons are forgiven when they die

I don't know about that. Whether they are actually forgiven is complicated because it's like, forgiven by whom? The victims? Tanjirou? God? Themselves? But I think it makes it pretty clear that they aren't beyond forgiveness, in the abstract.

Also, Tanjirou's attitude of being prepared to forgive murderers and cannibals while also 100% committed to stopping them, by force, from causing further harm -- and the show inhabiting his perspective and reinforcing it with flashbacks that he couldn't have known about -- is a good thing and a much better moral example than like 90% of media.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Beasteh posted:

Like... episodes? 5 more

Okay, probably enough time for one more decent arc then? I was worried it was gonna be more like 2 or 3 and that we'd be in a weird spot transitioning out of the spider family arc with that little time left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No, it’s pretty much decompression now. There won’t be enough time to rush through to the next combat arc if this is a typical 24 episode series.