Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm working my way through Bosch on Amazon Prime at the moment, just finished season 3 and it's just really good.

It doesn't seem to do much original, but it's just a really well made detective show. Plus Lance Reddick is in it and I will watch anything that man is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think the problem it had is a lot of it took place on the edges of reality and perception, something I think it portrayed very well, but it started to have that side of the story bleed into the more grounded parts of the story, which blurred the edges, and sometimes made it feel creatively unstuck at the times when it needed to be more grounded. Sometimes you want that to happen, narratively speaking, but it seems sometimes it was just a bit too weird for weird's sake, at times when it wasn't appropriate for the story. It was still great though, I'd definitely recommend it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I liked Legion overall, but it definitely climbed up its own butt from time to time. I never really got the critics' love for the Loudermilks, though; I just thought they were dull as hell and only existed to serve some of the laziest aspects of the storytelling. Cary was the "we need a thing that does X so I have instantaneously invented it" sort of techie deus ex machina and Kerry is just a bog-standard Whedon ripoff and honestly I just don't have much time for either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Trying to get into Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but man the first few episodes are dark. Is it always like that?

You're in the happy, quirky, light days. poo poo gets dark.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SardonicTyrant posted:

Trying to get into Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but man the first few episodes are dark. Is it always like that?

if you don't like dark comedy you absolutely should stop now because you're actually in the happy funtimes season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still have to watch Season 4 but Season 3 was a kick in the crotch.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Nate RFB posted:

Legion was ultimately a show that I felt was decent, but decidedly not great, with a smattering of moments and episodes that were truly outstanding, superlative, and notable. The best way I think I can put it is that in the end they thought that they were way smarter than they actually were with regards to the various character arcs. Many of them (especially David and Syd) feel quite awkward when you look at them in their totality. It was at its worst in S2 but S3 still has that problem in places. It will still ultimately be a show that I will wind up recommending a lot though because the highs are so interesting and entertaining and still don't feel like content I would get in most shows, let alone a Marvel story.

Agreed. That's also pretty close to what I feel about Mr. Robot.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I liked Legion overall, but it definitely climbed up its own butt from time to time. I never really got the critics' love for the Loudermilks, though; I just thought they were dull as hell and only existed to serve some of the laziest aspects of the storytelling. Cary was the "we need a thing that does X so I have instantaneously invented it" sort of techie deus ex machina and Kerry is just a bog-standard Whedon ripoff and honestly I just don't have much time for either.

I'd say it's the probably best superhero show I've seen

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inspector 34 posted:

Finished Wu Assassins. What a mess.

I'm up to ep5 and don't know if I'll finish, it's so bad. Chinese parents that travel halfway around the world to argue about plant placement. Characters just abandon their meager arcs. Random medieval Scottsman gets Chinese spirit? It doesn't make any loving sense.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

wormil posted:

I'm up to ep5 and don't know if I'll finish, it's so bad. Chinese parents that travel halfway around the world to argue about plant placement. Characters just abandon their meager arcs. Random medieval Scottsman gets Chinese spirit? It doesn't make any loving sense.

If you are watching Wu Assassin for any reason other than to watch awesome martial arts fight scenes from the guy who stared in the best martial arts movie ever (The Raid: Redemption) you are doing it wrong.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Skex posted:

If you are watching Wu Assassin for any reason other than to watch awesome martial arts fight scenes from the guy who stared in the best martial arts movie ever (The Raid: Redemption) you are doing it wrong.

Don't throw it back on me, not my fault it's bad. The fight scenes aren't even choreographed well. In several scenes the camera angles allow you to see he is bending at the wrist when punching, that should have been caught in post. Characters frequently turn their backs on enemies and stand there until stabbed or shot. The female/male fight scenes are straight out of Die Hard 4. In early episodes lower level enemies don't defend, they just stand waiting their turn to get beat up.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Just finished the two seasons of fleabag. Very natural dialogue and acting, both very funny and very serious. The way the main character interjects scenes with breaking the fourth wall without cutting away the shot works beautifully. Excellent excellent show.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I just watched the first two Episodes of HBO's show Our Boys. I didn't see a thread for it on a quick glance. It's a docudrama about the 2014 Gaza War. The first two episodes were about the murders of 3 Israeli teenagers, which resulted in the retaliatory abduction and murder of a Palestinian teenager. I didn't really have any background information on the conflict itself, but has been a very entertaining watch so far.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

I'd say it's the probably best superhero show I've seen

Yeah don't get me wrong, I really like the show in general. I just never got the love for those two, because they strike me as the show's weakest link.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm amazed at Money Heist on Netflix. I'm on Part 2 and I can't believe how much the Professor has planned out everything.Even hiring outside help when he's caught by the inspector and Tokyo is being transferred to prison.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I like La Casa de Papel, but it does crack me up how many deathless firefights there are in that show.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong, I really like the show in general. I just never got the love for those two, because they strike me as the show's weakest link.

Yeah, their individual characters were pretty cliché, but I thought the concept of their power was pretty unique and the relationship between the two characters is something you don't see very often so I liked them for that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

I'm amazed at Money Heist on Netflix. I'm on Part 2 and I can't believe how much the Professor has planned out everything.Even hiring outside help when he's caught by the inspector and Tokyo is being transferred to prison.

I been also watching this and love it, in general Spanish media is pretty good and quite underrated.

I just binged through Chernobyl, whenever there is a great show on HBO you hear everyone talk about it and I also many positive things about it on this thread. Decided to just check it on the side monitor while I was playing something but after like 5 minutes I had to stop playing. The production, the atmosphere, the music and the actors were all great. I know someone whose family was affected by this event so I felt extra emotional at some points. Scary, sad and entertaining.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I am currently binging through The Kirlian Frequency.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

It's such a quick watch and I'm hoping that more is out there or will be put on Netflix soon.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

wormil posted:

Looks intriguing but it's already not a secret that politicians are influenced by money and religious leaders. Is it actionable? Tell me anything I don't already suspect?

I didn't know half of what the national prayer breakfast folks were up to.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

TV Zombie posted:

It's such a quick watch and I'm hoping that more is out there or will be put on Netflix soon.
Each episode was originally released every few months, and I think the latest is episode six, so...

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just blew through the first season of Dark. Loved it! I’m ready to consume season 2.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Raspberry Bang posted:

Just blew through the first season of Dark. Loved it! I’m ready to consume season 2.

It's really good. So is season 2! :woop:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Eight episodes into Succession and it's so loving good I wished I'd waited two months so season 2 could be binged as well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Started Bordertown on Netflix, didn't watch the trailer or anything just went in cold assuming it was set in Texas or Cali but surprise it's in Finland and Russia is their Mexico. The dubbing is poor but the show is good. Main guy is a policeman with a memory palace and incredible deductive abilities, his Watson is a former Russian secret police that interviews suspects by karate chopping them in the throat until they talk or can't talk. Third wheel is a brown-nosing paper pusher that might have a hidden talent for detective work. The women in the show are gorgeous and look like the latest models from the ubermensch factory.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Four episodes into Years and Years and my wife is already intensely depressed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Found a show on Netflix called Better Than Us, seems to be the Russian take on Humans. Presumably about sex robots gone mad but really it's the boring drama of assholes and energy vampires, and their boring rear end robot alarm clocks. Anyone watched more than one episode?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Finished Money Heist Part 2 and thought that this would have been a great finish to the series but then I saw that they have a part 3, which just seems unnecessary.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

TV Zombie posted:

Finished Money Heist Part 2 and thought that this would have been a great finish to the series but then I saw that they have a part 3, which just seems unnecessary.

I thought exactly the same thing. Don't think I'm gonna watch season 3.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think it's complex enough to need to end anywhere.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

Still pretty good though, better than I expected but not as good as the first two parts.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

The heist is over and the first character they show in Part 3 turned me off as I disliked him from the previous seasons.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I started Patriot and Im really liking it, very unique, funny, sad, absurd and real at the same time, and great acting all around

But, its just me smoking too much pot or the plot became kinda of a mess on S2? I can barely understand why people are doing what they are doing anymore and some things seems to contradict stuff that happened before

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I started Patriot and Im really liking it, very unique, funny, sad, absurd and real at the same time, and great acting all around

But, its just me smoking too much pot or the plot became kinda of a mess on S2? I can barely understand why people are doing what they are doing anymore and some things seems to contradict stuff that happened before

It became a family drama and they tried to make the wife matter which complicated everything. The cop chick gets greedy, steals the money so John kidnaps her daughter but she doesn't think he will hurt her and gives no fucks. Wife shows up and secretly teams up with cop lady in the belief that working against her husband will help him. There is some misdirection going on and John plays his cards right. Then jellyfish.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

dudemanbudguy posted:

Kim's Convenience is so light and wholesome. You grow to love the characters and watching each one grow as a person. It's fantastic.

I'd also recommend Schitt's Creek for a similar vibe.

Ended up settling on Kim's because that turned out to be exactly the vibe I was looking for. The parents especially make me laugh, the Dad when he's trolling his daughter in some way and the Mum when she's suddenly revealing some whole other side of her character that no-one has ever seen before.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
sneak attack!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I dropped Crazy Ex-Girlfriend after the first few episodes because it's way too dark for me. Trying GLOW and I'm loving this cringy rear end in a top hat director. :allears:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I'm trying to get through season 1 of Dark. It seems good but I can't seem to binge it at all. It seems good but I can't consume it in chunks for some reason.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

SardonicTyrant posted:

I dropped Crazy Ex-Girlfriend after the first few episodes because it's way too dark for me. Trying GLOW and I'm loving this cringy rear end in a top hat director. :allears:
Oh god, watching Ruth get into character is like watching a train crash and I can't stop staring :stare: