Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

Did they leave it on autopilot mode? If so, any orbit will do, it’ll swerve to hit you

Only if you dress up like a fire truck or the side of a semi trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Happy Jeff K page everyone

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Yawgmoth posted:

Happy Jeff K page everyone

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
Since this is the OSHA thread, I would think more goons would be willing to donate their bodies to advancing wood chipper technology, or at least making some high quality safety videos.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
OCCUPATIONAL SAFE HAXX0RING AREA

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Since this is the OSHA thread, I would think more goons would be willing to donate their bodies to advancing wood chipper technology, or at least making some high quality safety videos.

I can only wonder (in horror) at what the next Staplerfahrer Klaus video will look like

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm going out like D. B. Cooper. With a sack of cash and a harebrained scheme.

Ever consider running for Congress?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Is her first husband living off of all the donated organs?

Nah my dad died of ventricular fibrillation in the years before AED devices were everywhere. He's in a stone box on a hillside in western Massachusetts

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I'm the middle ladder that appears to be leaning against nothing.

How dare you impugne the structural integrity of the Wahoo folding ladder!

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 17, 2019

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

e: dp

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FreshFeesh posted:

I can only wonder (in horror) at what the next Staplerfahrer Klaus video will look like

I would donate my body to see what, specifically happens when a dude falls into an industrial macerator. Rocks go in, sand comes out.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

A refined version: a guy wearing a CRT television set as a helmet carries a 38" Sony Trinitron onto someone's front step and leaves it there. Hidden inside is you.

Probably lighter than the real thing.

E: drat you Imagined!

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 18, 2019

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'd donate my body to science but specify that science be, like, astronomy or particle physics or something.

"Well, at least now we know what the LHC does to a human body at full power. I'll go get the mop."

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'd donate my body to science but specify that science be, like, astronomy or particle physics or something.

"Well, at least now we know what the LHC does to a human body at full power. I'll go get the firehose."

ftfy

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"Well, at least now we know what the LHC does to a human body at full power. I'll go get the mop."

That much is known, at least a fair bit of it. This man tried to troubleshoot a particle accelerator when all the safeties failed and he took the full beam straight to his face. He completed his PhD afterwards, just got mentally exhausted faster than he used to (along with a half-paralyzed face and hearing loss in one ear).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Icon Of Sin posted:

That much is known, at least a fair bit of it. This man tried to troubleshoot a particle accelerator when all the safeties failed and he took the full beam straight to his face. He completed his PhD afterwards, just got mentally exhausted faster than he used to (along with a half-paralyzed face and hearing loss in one ear).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Shot in the face with a 76 GeV proton beam and the Russian government denied him a disability pension :ussr:

"You still walk? Talk? You go to job? You don't look so bad. No money"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

guy should have just gotten an auto-PhD after all that.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

guy should have just gotten an auto-PhD after all that.

if it worked that way, PhD students would be lining up to injure themselves in new and creative ways

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not strictly OSHA but now I’m wondering if there’s an economy thesis on putting yourself into crippling debt to get an Econ degree.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Log082 posted:

if it worked that way, PhD students would be lining up to injure themselves in new and creative ways

I'm not sure I see the problem here.

Injure yourself in a way no human ever has been, and live/die, but otherwise further the knowledge of humankind? I mean, that's what a PhD is all about, right? :v:

Plus if some die that's an extra gently caress you to student loan companies.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Pyroclastic posted:

Back to what leads up to corpse disposal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvCQtst6y1U

I went looking and found a video from the kayaker's perspective

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Fuuuuck. My wife's employer is probably going to end up with an OSHA recordable death today. Don't want to post details just yet but the guy really didn't do much wrong, just a weird incident. Proof that disaster is lurking everywhere.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Icon Of Sin posted:

Looks like he's still kicking too!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Icon Of Sin posted:

Early human trials in proton therapy :jebstare:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Potato Salad posted:

Early human trials in proton therapy :jebstare:

LOL Jeb!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

big dyke energy posted:

What the hell is the smell of "old dirt"?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

big dyke energy posted:

The loving editing on that segment, holy poo poo.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

You've never smelled new dirt?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
E: heh teach me to get distracted

Cojawfee posted:

It's uh, pretty distinctive as compared to fresh earth

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

goatsestretchgoals posted:

i feel like dumping a shitload of lye into the sewer system isn't as environmentally friendly as you think

Another article I found says that if the resultant liquid is too alkaline, the corpse-dissolver technician just adds vinegar or citric acid to get it close or to neutral, before it's disposed of or recycled. You can spray grandma right on your rose bushes once she's neutralized.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Russian Dr Manhattan origin story looking cyka blyat!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Russian Dr Manhattan origin story looking cyka blyat!

I learned today that either the USSR didn’t really go for project codenames, or Wikipedia does not include them in their articles:

quote:

The Soviet atomic bomb project (Russian: Советский проект атомной бомбы, Sovetskiy proyekt atomnoy bomby)

I am fairly sure that if I stumbled across the name of this project in papers recovered by espionage, I would figure out what the project intended to accomplish.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Grundulum posted:

I learned today that either the USSR didn’t really go for project codenames, or Wikipedia does not include them in their articles:

I am fairly sure that if I stumbled across the name of this project in papers recovered by espionage, I would figure out what the project intended to accomplish.

Back in WW2 everybody used a multi-beam radio system to guide their planes. The Nazis started a project to develop a one beam system and used the code word "Wotan" for the system. Aka Odin, the name of the one-eyed Norse god. It took Bletchley Park like all of five minutes to figure out what it meant.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And having figured out what it must be, they figured out how it would have to work in order to do that, and had their jammer all set up and ready to go by the time the germans switched it on.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Pretty sure after that the Allies realised the importance of using code names that didn't match anything to do with the project.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Varkk posted:

Pretty sure after that the Allies realised the importance of using code names that didn't match anything to do with the project.

And 50-70 years later forgot it with “Operation Desert Storm”, “Operation Iraqi Freedom”, and “Operation Enduring Freedom”. (Though the cynic in me argues that these names actually did have nothing to do with their factual outcomes. :v:)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grundulum posted:

And 50-70 years later forgot it with “Operation Desert Storm”, “Operation Iraqi Freedom”, and “Operation Enduring Freedom”. (Though the cynic in me argues that these names actually did have nothing to do with their factual outcomes. :v:)

OPERATION PAUL BUNYAN is the best of this vein.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Platystemon posted:

OPERATION PAUL BUNYAN is the best of this vein.

Look, that loving tree is coming down!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

8one6 posted:

Back in WW2 everybody used a multi-beam radio system to guide their planes. The Nazis started a project to develop a one beam system and used the code word "Wotan" for the system. Aka Odin, the name of the one-eyed Norse god. It took Bletchley Park like all of five minutes to figure out what it meant.

The British committed the same blunder on their side of the Battle of the Beams, but it was of no consequence because Nazi intelligence was Scheiße.

The first-generation Nazi radio guidance tech was referred to as “Headache”.

Its counter? Aspirin.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Grundulum posted:

The freedom is a reference to all the free money haliburton received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiIUhcQmx-0

So many fried eyeballs :unsmigghh: