Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Nope nothing happening yet except they said all the mates have vanished to chase activations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Trigger warning that poo poo.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The 3rds probably went out of Oak. I think we got all the mates from the Henry but the Horn should be crewing up next week so it can sail to the yard Friday. I'm on the best one only because its activated in the last 10 years while the others havent. Thus, a fire.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I read where the Navy is getting rid of IBNS on the DDs, at least one class of DD. Supposedly it is so complicated that it was responsible for a least a small part of the blame with the McCain collision.

Can anyone shed any light on that? I know it's a touchscreen system that replaced manual throttles, but why so complicated?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

loving touchscreen throttles ahahahahahahahahahahahahayayayayayahahGHgGgzhxhzhxjckvkvk

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Trip report: Capo is actually a cool chill base with a lot to do near it and also my reserve job doesnt suck and is instead pretty cool because I watch sports center and the news all day. 10/10 would AT again so far.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PneumonicBook posted:

Trip report: Capo is actually a cool chill base with a lot to do near it and also my reserve job doesnt suck and is instead pretty cool because I watch sports center and the news all day. 10/10 would AT again so far.

Is this the base near Naples? Well glad you are having a standard reserve AT.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
That's the one at the airport in Naples. Capodichino, IT

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

loving touchscreen throttles ahahahahahahahahahahahahayayayayayahahGHgGgzhxhzhxjckvkvk

I tried to Swype for all stop but all it gave me was "always sup bro"

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Is this the base near Naples? Well glad you are having a standard reserve AT.

I was kind of being facetious about sportscenter and the news, I'm sitting in a giant watch room with enormous TVs that are 4 TVs put together and monitoring everything happening in the region. It's actually pretty alright. Also I'm here with an LT who's cool as poo poo and knows everyone so that's going well. Going to spend the weekend getting lost on the coast.

And yea, it's the base with the airport right behind it, Capodichino.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

I was kind of being facetious about sportscenter and the news, I'm sitting in a giant watch room with enormous TVs that are 4 TVs put together and monitoring everything happening in the region. It's actually pretty alright. Also I'm here with an LT who's cool as poo poo and knows everyone so that's going well. Going to spend the weekend getting lost on the coast.

And yea, it's the base with the airport right behind it, Capodichino.

I’m a little embarrassed I thought that was average from my experience.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m a little embarrassed I thought that was average from my experience.

Well my last AT was a nightmare of boredom and garbage being stuck in Jacksonville so they could have only gotten better.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Laranzu posted:

I tried to Swype for all stop but all it gave me was "always sup bro"

I’m the guy trying to adjust a slider on a touchscreen in the dark while the ship is rolling 30 degrees and pitching.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Please set lights for vessel not under command, my steering wheel crashed and I have to reboot it.

I have seen this happen more than once

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There was a big subplot in some of the newer Star Trek shows to explain why the technology in chronologically older ships seemed to be much more high tech than the Kirk era Enterprise that pretty much mirrors this.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

PneumonicBook posted:

Going to spend the weekend getting lost on the coast.

Capri was overrated to me, but Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are super beautiful. I really liked the sites of ruins at both Pompeii and Ercolano.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

Capri was overrated to me, but Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are super beautiful. I really liked the sites of ruins at both Pompeii and Ercolano.

Ercolano kicks rear end.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeah, agreed. Plus, that neighborhood by the water there, Portici, is a great place for spaghetti and clams restaurants

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

*furious scribbling taking notes*

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ercolano kicks rear end.

Don't miss this if you're nearby!

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

MrMojok posted:

I read where the Navy is getting rid of IBNS on the DDs, at least one class of DD. Supposedly it is so complicated that it was responsible for a least a small part of the blame with the McCain collision.

Can anyone shed any light on that? I know it's a touchscreen system that replaced manual throttles, but why so complicated?

They're fine when you know how to use them. You need training though, just like anything.

Also, instructor duty has been interesting so far. I'm enjoying it; everyone is incredibly helpful and nice, but I've never been a part of something so laid back. Wednesdays are bowling days for the department, we have Taco Tuesdays, and Fridays are for BBQ. Two of the civilians we work with also build boats for the annual Fool's Float Regata. I have been asked why I was still in the building at 1530.

As to Italy: I've heard Herculaneum is even better than Pompeii. Pompeii is amazing, so I can only imagine Herculaneum.

The Valley Stared fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 14, 2019

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
just in case
Herculaneum:Latin::Ercolano:Italian

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

just in case
Herculaneum:Latin::Ercolano:Italian

Did not know that! I only hear it called by the Latin name, not the Italian.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Haha yeah wasn't sure if you had figured that out or if you were just calling it by the Latin to be cool

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/USNINews/status/1162048305515376640

This photo does not inspire confidence

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hope it helps young SWOs jerk off on deck more competently.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
"Making young SWOs more competent" is a pretty low bar to clear..😂

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lou Takki posted:

Don't miss this if you're nearby!

So the time Im here there isnt an ITT tour going, and I kind of want to do that with my wife next FY which will end up being in a couple of months, so I think I'm going to save that. It's absolutely on my radar though.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
An MC once had me pose on a SPA-25G that was primarily being used to hold a coffee cup. An accurate depiction of SWOdom.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

From CG Memes but relevant.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I mean, at least Chiefs have done something to earn a tree fort.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Heh poo poo I mean it was hardly a treefort on Enterprise but those mugs and that table cover are tacky as gently caress.

The first class "mess" as it was was basically just a couple tables that were in the main mess decks that all the first classes sat at. It's not really a tree fort if it's in a small bush. Chiefs had a mess that had like a 70 inch TV and their own mess line and staff. They also had better cooks than the wardroom, and were the last ones to feel the pinch of a missed unrep.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 18, 2019

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

vulturesrow posted:

I mean, at least Chiefs have done something to earn a tree fort.

:roflolmao:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm all about getting a mug for the unit (and I'm still salty that NAWDC kept my money) but that's the dumbest goddamned thing I've seen all day.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Godholio posted:

I'm all about getting a mug for the unit (and I'm still salty that NAWDC kept my money) but that's the dumbest goddamned thing I've seen all day.

I take it you have not reported to work yet today.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Fortunately I don't work there anymore. It's the least driven and forward-looking organization I've ever been a part of, and I flew on the loving AWACS.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

Fortunately I don't work there anymore. It's the least driven and forward-looking organization I've ever been a part of, and I flew on the loving AWACS.

Didn't realize you bailed on NAWDC.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
My unit has a lot of the rah rah mess stuff, replete with the seconds making shirts and coins, the firsts being insular and focusing more on drinking than mentoring and training and God knows what the loving Chiefs do.

Retention is tanking. The system must be working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

My unit has a lot of the rah rah mess stuff, replete with the seconds making shirts and coins, the firsts being insular and focusing more on drinking than mentoring and training and God knows what the loving Chiefs do.

Retention is tanking. The system must be working as intended.

I thought the big deal with bees was advancing anyways.