Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The name should perfectly synch with B.A. Barachus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Wait why the gently caress would you be pronuncing the middle syllable as rock if it's maraca

How are you trying to pronounce maraca, it's maraca not maroca

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ma rah ca and ma rock ah are virtually the same

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Oh is this the point of the thread where we learn english varies wildly in pronunciation based on location

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

They just revealed a new double battle move in the trailer a couple days ago, so I’m looking forward to using that all of never times once the game comes out.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

Oh is this the point of the thread where we learn english varies wildly in pronunciation based on location

All English dialects are acceptable except for the ones where you pronunce Maractus the same as Maroctus

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Vandar posted:

They just revealed a new double battle move in the trailer a couple days ago, so I’m looking forward to using that all of never times once the game comes out.

The big raid bosses probably count as double battles for move mechanics, since you get partners.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Don't get me started on Vivillon and Carvanha!!!!!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Don't get me started on Vivillon and Carvanha!!!!!

Vih-vee-yon like a Galarian impression of a Kalosian, and Carve-ahn-uh with the last two syllables like piranha, and the first like the verb to carve, like this toothy mofo will do to you if you are careless.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Nth Doctor posted:

Vih-vee-yon like a Galarian impression of a Kalosian, and Carve-ahn-uh with the last two syllables like piranha, and the first like the verb to carve, like this toothy mofo will do to you if you are careless.

NH is pronounced ny. Like ñ.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
You complain about these things when 94% of the English speaking world can't even pronounce the flippin games name right.

My favorite variants are "poke-ahmun" and "poh-kahmən"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
This is why I choose to call all Pokémon by their original Japanese names as Masuda intended

E: the only acceptable pronunciation of Arceus is arsey-arse

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Arceus more like MorMON
get it.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Ka0 posted:

Arceus more like MorMON
get it.

Was his original trainer Joseph Smith? Or if you prefer his original Japanese name, JoJo Smith.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Actually it's pronounced jalar

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

While we are on the topic of names, it is impossible for me to look at Audino as anything other than arduino. Same with Verizone/virizion

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Ka0 posted:

While we are on the topic of names, it is impossible for me to look at Audino as anything other than arduino. Same with Verizone/virizion

Skiddo is clearly a misspelt Skidoo.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

This is why I choose to call all Pokémon by their original Japanese names as Masuda intended

E: the only acceptable pronunciation of Arceus is arsey-arse

It ever get awkward calling Charizard "Lizardon" in casual conversation?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'd be very excited for a pokemon game where you're auto-healed after every fight, would be dope if most trainer battles are balanced around you losing a couple of pokemon.

I also think that you should be limited to 3 pokemon at the start of the game, and you slowly get to expand to 6 thanks to gym badges.

that first idea is great, trainer battles should be tougher, but the second idea is just no fun. maybe you're only allowed to use the same number of Pokemon as the trainer and you pick which three at the start of the battle

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Found the Pokémon anime fansubber in the thread!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Instead of reducing your team size, enemy trainers should just have full 6 teams of their own after certain points.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'd be very excited for a pokemon game where you're auto-healed after every fight, would be dope if most trainer battles are balanced around you losing a couple of pokemon.

I also think that you should be limited to 3 pokemon at the start of the game, and you slowly get to expand to 6 thanks to gym badges.

If trainer battles required you to match their Pokemon total, but also let you heal your Pokemon after fighting them, it'd go a long way towards making them feel more like friendly competitions. Then battles with the villain teams would feel seriously distinct due to the villains not giving you those courtesies.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Instead of reducing your team size, enemy trainers should just have full 6 teams of their own after certain points.

Yeah, there really shouldn't be any of those lame 1-2 pokemon enemy trainers after the first gym.

Having that paired with their pokemon actually being threatening enough to justify auto-healing everything up to full after every trainer battle would be amazing, which is exactly why it's never going to happen.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Oh 100% absolutely.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like 6v6 is pretty longwinded... but should be way more common after the Eight badge. Like the Eighth gym leader should be the last 'boss' with 5 pokemon, some Victory Road chumps should be running full teams, and now that we're in perpetual gimmick town, the E4 should all have 6 while the champion has 6 and a mega dynamax z-moved or whatever ace.

Hell, hear me out, super simple thing: some of the Gym Trainers should be in the E4, running teams based on their leaders, but fully realized as a full team. It'd be cool to see an older NPC surpass the leader they were working for.

e: pokemon tcg wc finals is going on, I think it's the last category, so the vgc finals should be starting soon and maybe another SwSh trailer after it's all done in some hours?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
There was already one a couple of days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaF9iJ9bzUM

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Avalerion posted:

That sounds boring as hell, since trainers that did do that, such as Breeders and Magikarp guy just had a bunch of low level trash that was yawn inducing to get through. I don't want regular trainers to have 6 Pokemon again, unlike it's a specific challenge like the Veteran in Challenge Cave.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Everyone having full teams would get incredibly tedious very fast.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I really like the choose as many mons as the opponent has. Keeps the battles shorter while still really upping the challenge.

If you want to balance out the difficulty just have them be ok to lose, where after the fight the trainer no longer auto-aggros, but you’re welcome to challenge them again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Make boxed Pokemon viewable, if not accessible, remotely.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Make boxed Pokemon viewable, if not accessible, remotely.

This works phenomenally in Lets Go.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I really like the choose as many mons as the opponent has. Keeps the battles shorter while still really upping the challenge.

If you want to balance out the difficulty just have them be ok to lose, where after the fight the trainer no longer auto-aggros, but you’re welcome to challenge them again.

Exactly! Hell, give your character a win-loss record, or make it so the game keeps track of how many trainers you've beaten. Add in rewards for being the "master" of a certain area and it could let you get really challenging with route trainers.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

That sounds boring as hell, since trainers that did do that, such as Breeders and Magikarp guy just had a bunch of low level trash that was yawn inducing to get through. I don't want regular trainers to have 6 Pokemon again, unlike it's a specific challenge like the Veteran in Challenge Cave.

"It was implemented badly before, therefore all possible implementations of this thing will be bad"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Saagonsa posted:

"It was implemented badly before, therefore all possible implementations of this thing will be bad"

No, no, I think he has a fair point. 6v6 can take a long-rear end time, and it makes it so the E4 and Champion having full teams feels less impactful. The Champion should feel like the longest, most hard-fought battle in the game, after all, and while it can be the most difficult otherwise Pokemon number is the easiest way to give the feeling of length.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I would like rando trainers to have full 6 teams after a certain point. To balance that have fewer of them littering randon routes.

It makes sense in the early game to have tons of young hopefuls with a starter of sorts an one or two captured wilds.

Then beyond the first few gyms you see fewer and fewer because they've hit a a wall or just given up

You could give rando trainers better battle synergies differential to each other. Sone with a gimmick, some with a theme like trick room etc.

Edit: And victory road should he the most awful point in the game. The elite 4 are the final hurdle but you get a poke center to try over and over again.

Victory Road is the final slog mixed with the terrain an other hungry trainers seeking to be the champ.

You can have it easy or make it mean something. You can't have both.

For_Great_Justice fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 18, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

For_Great_Justice posted:

I would like rando trainers to have full 6 teams after a certain point. To balance that have fewer of them littering randon routes.

It makes sense in the early game to have tons of young hopefuls with a starter of sorts an one or two captured wilds.

Then beyond the first few gyms you see fewer and fewer because they've hit a a wall or just given up

You could give rando trainers better battle synergies differential to each other. Sone with a gimmick, some with a theme like trick room etc.

Most people you run into aren't doing the gym challenge though. They're mostly just like an office worker with his buddy pokemon, or a construction worker with his Machop who helps him carry stuff.

Pokemon world design is pretty naturalistic overall and there's a lot of stuff like Cheren in B/W2 or the Kanto gym leaders in G/S/C that point out gyms scale their challenge level to how experienced the challenger is and they have a wide roster of Pokemon. Very few people are actually following the gym order the player does, and very few people you fight are serious trainers period until like Victory Road.

Honestly even the fact you tend to have stronger random trainers in the late game seems like a gameplay concession so they you don't get swarmed with a bunch of dudes trying to use their cool level 10 Rattatas on you right before the 8th gym. And the reverse is also true because otherwise where are all the super strong dudes who should be hanging out around Viridian?

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 18, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Bee posted:

No, no, I think he has a fair point. 6v6 can take a long-rear end time, and it makes it so the E4 and Champion having full teams feels less impactful. The Champion should feel like the longest, most hard-fought battle in the game, after all, and while it can be the most difficult otherwise Pokemon number is the easiest way to give the feeling of length.

You can do this just by making the champions numbers bigger.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

Most people you run into aren't doing the gym challenge though. They're mostly just like an office worker with his buddy pokemon, or a construction worker with his Machop who helps him carry stuff.

Pokemon world design is pretty naturalistic overall and there's a lot of stuff like Cheren in B/W2 or the Kanto gym leaders in G/S/C that point out gyms scale their challenge level to how experienced the challenger is and they have a wide roster of Pokemon. Very few people are actually following the gym order the player does, and very few people you fight are serious trainers period until like Victory Road.

Honestly even the fact you tend to have stronger random trainers in the late game seems like a gameplay concession so they you don't get swarmed with a bunch of dudes trying to use their cool level 10 Rattatas on you right before the 8th gym. And the reverse is also true because otherwise where are all the super strong dudes who should be hanging out around Viridian?

That construction worker should 5 more Machops

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The finals for VGC Worlds are ongoing if you care to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9AWqAv2SyU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I do agree with your points to an extent.

Not every trainer follows but as you progress, get badges, travel around, it stands to reason your character will gain a reputation of your skill. In this instance you might get the Joey trying to pit his Rattata to your fully evolved charizard but most folks are going to think twice or get easily swept.

As for the randos like construction workers or cops with a growlithe would they actually bother fighting someone with 5 badges when they have a job to do? That makes less sense to me.