Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm stoked to mess around more in H3VR, and I love how they made the Blade Runner Blaster function, it's so in depth and fun to use. I have a Tomenosuke replica and it's just spot on (save for the heating thing).

What's the key to working the safety for weapons? You have to click the right stick and bring it down right? It seems really finicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Too bad H3VR will never get multiplayer. It'd be the best gently caress-around multiplayer shooting game.

Songbearer posted:

They bleed yellow sausage goo
You're some resident H3VR explainer. MUSTARD! MUSTARD, MAN!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Songbearer posted:

Okay so I have this thing where I cry if I see something that's really beautiful to me

I just cried at the first level of Tetris Effect

gently caress off

It really is beautiful. It’s very close to a religious experience

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

sigher posted:

I'm stoked to mess around more in H3VR, and I love how they made the Blade Runner Blaster function, it's so in depth and fun to use. I have a Tomenosuke replica and it's just spot on (save for the heating thing).

What's the key to working the safety for weapons? You have to click the right stick and bring it down right? It seems really finicky.

Tilt the stick to the left then click it down. This is emulating clicking the vive touch pad on the left, as the game was made with that HMD in mind.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad H3VR will never get multiplayer. It'd be the best gently caress-around multiplayer shooting game.

You're some resident H3VR explainer. MUSTARD! MUSTARD, MAN!

Gonna refer to mustard as yellow sausage goo from now on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jack Trades posted:

This is probably the most wrong sentence I've ever read that was still technically correct.

Prey animals generally have eyes on the sides of their heads so that they have larger fields of view and would be capable of seeing predators stalking behind them.
Predator animals generally have eyes on the front of their heads so that they'd have an easier time tracking fast moving prey.
Small differences in IPD between human individuals don't mean poo poo. All humans are technically "predator animals".

Nice try, you wide eyed freak. I'm gonna hunt you to the ends of the Earth.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It really is beautiful. It’s very close to a religious experience

The pieces landing bring out just the tiniest bit of music and as the level builds up so does the music then the background and chorus kicks in and gently caress you just get so engrossed with it. It really is such a gorgeous chill experience unlike anything else.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Nice try, you wide eyed freak. I'm gonna hunt you to the ends of the Earth.

:downs:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ugh when will tetris effect be on quest...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Am I the weird one for having his Oculus IPD setting set at 58 (the narrowest it’ll go) and being completely comfortable? I could move it a few notches out but anything past 63 or so gets noticeably out of focus for me. I use the Oculus Home green-line-cross-calibration-thing every single time I put the headset on and just having the IPD switch on its tightest setting always puts poo poo into super clear focus. That and the 1.5 SS that I leave on globally.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The pieces landing bring out just the tiniest bit of music and as the level builds up so does the music then the background and chorus kicks in and gently caress you just get so engrossed with it. It really is such a gorgeous chill experience unlike anything else.

Every time you rotate the pieces it also plays a sound, which evolves as the music of the level does. So later in the first level it plays these gorgeous piano notes every time you rotate a piece and it's just so good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

Am I the weird one for having his Oculus IPD setting set at 58 (the narrowest it’ll go) and being completely comfortable? I could move it a few notches out but anything past 63 or so gets noticeably out of focus for me. I use the Oculus Home green-line-cross-calibration-thing every single time I put the headset on and just having the IPD switch on its tightest setting always puts poo poo into super clear focus. That and the 1.5 SS that I leave on globally.

It’s.........not weird if your IPD is 58?

Mine is 65 and I can comfortably go outside of it in either direction. Too much though and I go cross eyed.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

On my Rift the lowest setting 58 was the clearest. Yet when I self measured my PD I came up with 61.5. When I went to the optometrist for my yearly visit they said my PD was 61. On my Index 62 looks the clearest for me.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SPACE HOMOS posted:

On my Rift the lowest setting 58 was the clearest. Yet when I self measured my PD I came up with 61.5. When I went to the optometrist for my yearly visit they said my PD was 61. On my Index 62 looks the clearest for me.

Our eyeballs must be similarly distanced apart. Do you find, knowing that 61 is the doctors message, that 58 is more comfortable for you still or did you find adjusting it back to what your eyeball doctor said was a righteous thing to do?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I just set it to whats clearest. I think this may be an issue with lens shape and distance from my face.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can also be a weirdo whose eyes are asymmetrical.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

My PD is 30.5 for both eyes, so who knows.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I just found out through random means, that Dirt Rally support VR, but it doesn't show up in my Steam VR category. So I'm wondering what other games I own (among thousands) support VR and are not in the category. Anyone have a cool way to find out this information? I tried looking through all the steam games that are tagged VR, but there's several thousand, and I can't be bothered. Please help my first world problems!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Looking at a list on Wikipedia, is I’d imagine the best way.

Compound that with the fact that there are games with really good VR mods made by the community (quake 3, alien isolation) and its gets very confusing

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Looking at a list on Wikipedia, is I’d imagine the best way.

Compound that with the fact that there are games with really good VR mods made by the community (quake 3, alien isolation) and its gets very confusing

yeah, thanks, but remember how I said I have thousands of games, that was literal, and I probably don't even remember I have 70% of them. Yes it's embarrassing, but it's kind of annoying that Steam's VR category completely ignored the VR tag.

edit: thanks for confusing me further, bud... now I have to look up the VR mod scene.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yegods posted:

yeah, thanks, but remember how I said I have thousands of games, that was literal, and I probably don't even remember I have 70% of them. Yes it's embarrassing, but it's kind of annoying that Steam's VR category completely ignored the VR tag.

edit: thanks for confusing me further, bud... now I have to look up the VR mod scene.

Go here https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/ filter by the vr tag, not anything under vr support

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SPACE HOMOS posted:

My PD is 30.5 for both eyes, so who knows.

Holy poo poo do you just have one big eye?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

EbolaIvory posted:

No idea. Sams dude measured mine no problem, and my roommate just called her eye doctor and asked. They measure it, its info they can give you, and they cant like, say no, but they didn't make a fuss. She told em the same thing I did when they asked. VR poo poo.

I went into an optical store and asked the same thing, asked them if they'd be willing to measure my IPD because I recently got a VR HMD and talked to them a little about it, and was being polite as heck, but the employee said they don't really do that and that she couldn't do it unless I was a customer. No budging.

my girlfriend then reminded me that I did buy glasses here years ago, and after finding me in the system I was given an updated measurement.

So anyone who wants to can definitely try, but if I hadn't already spent 400$ at this place years ago they wouldn't have entertained my "I have a new big boy toy could you measure my peepholes pwease"

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo do you just have one big eye?

You do realize each eye has its own measurement right? 61 divided by 2 is 30.5. Some people are uneven in each eye, for example 63mm but one eye is 31 and the other eye is 32.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

Go here https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/ filter by the vr tag, not anything under vr support

Perfect! Thanks

---

Also, are there any good Skiing simulations? It seems like a natural for standing VR. I found a couple on a loose search, but they don't look so good yet.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

yegods posted:

Perfect! Thanks

---

Also, are there any good Skiing simulations? It seems like a natural for standing VR. I found a couple on a loose search, but they don't look so good yet.

Oddly this SteamVR environment seems to be people's favorite skiing game.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135645775

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think you need a perfect optician measured IPD. I highly doubt mechanism of the index or the OG Rift is anywhere near as accurate. Using a mm ruler will be good enough.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

You do realize each eye has its own measurement right? 61 divided by 2 is 30.5. Some people are uneven in each eye, for example 63mm but one eye is 31 and the other eye is 32.

You do realize this is an OPHTHALMOLOGY thread for goons who are frogmen.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Its the same measurement but there's a difference between how ipd is applied between glasses and VR, IE glasses are made so the optical center of the lens matches the position of your pupil and In VR its used to adjust the position of the image through a static lens to best replicate binocular vision. its entirely possible that you may find playing at a different ipd from your actual glasses prescription more comfortable.

I had my rift S at the highest ipd for months with no discomfort and then I had my eyes tested it turned out I was around 58mm. Then again my eyes are imbalanced as gently caress so maybe my brain is just used to them pointing in divergent directions.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
When you measure IPD make sure you measure far. VR focal distance is about 9 feet, which is far IPD.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

rage-saq posted:

When you measure IPD make sure you measure far. VR focal distance is about 9 feet, which is far IPD.

If I’m ordering those round Zenni lenses and 3D printing adapters, I can just do the “stand 8 inches from a mirror and look at a ruler” thing, right?

I want to relegate the Go to watching plex in bed after I take my contacts out.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Biologically, narrow eye distance means you're likely to be a predator.

Explains why I'm playing so much Blade and Sorcery I guess :black101:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I have a Vive OG full setup with two lighthouses. I'm very tempted to buy an Index's headset and just use my OG Vive controllers and lighthouses. Figure the honeymoon period's faded with the Index: good idea or bad idea?

edit: Also my IPD is 64.6 but I do wear glasses. The OG Vive was the most comfortable for glasses of the headsets I've used.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 19, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shoefish posted:

Or just give it a good shake, cylinder facing down

Oh nice, they got the Taurus license?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jack Trades posted:

This is probably the most wrong sentence I've ever read that was still technically correct.
:shuckyes:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So my NMS savegame is all kinds of hosed up and it was just frustrating going into it in VR because all I got to experience was hours of work being negated and things being offset randomly.

RE: IPD chat
I meassured 67 with the SteamVR ruler included on the manual. Got new glasses recently and I'm at 33.5 with the optician. I think we are all good you guys.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 19, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Did they put out a PC performance patch for NMS yet or is it basically abandonware at this point

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Hadlock posted:

Did they put out a PC performance patch for NMS yet or is it basically abandonware at this point

Lots of little patches, but mainly crash fixes etc. So somewhere in the middle...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

It's being patched almost daily and NMS has been anything [i]but/i] abandonware for the developers. Say what you will about the game, they're really committed to actually make it work as-advertised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I bought NMS after VR was announced and I remember the complaints after release, but the game is quite good as it stands, save for a few game breaking bugs you can trigger fairly easily.