Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I agree, the version of BOTW we got was extremely hamstrung by the removal of such incredibly innovative features as... map on second screen and... uhh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

to be fair having a map on a second screen is extremely good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

romanowski posted:

to be fair having a map on a second screen is extremely good

Not worth having to play it on a Wii U

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Andrast posted:

Not worth having to play it on a Wii U

I definitely would've welcomed a touch-screen inventory on the tablet like in Twilight Princess HD, but eh. BotW was still basically perfect on the Wii U (at least after they patched away the major slowdown issues)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Map on second screen, on top of free switching weapons on the fly, inventory\cooking is a simple tap, would all be huge for the game as is. A better gyro and dpad in the gamepad don't hurt either.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I never really cared for the map on the second screen on Wii U. It was kinda awkward to look down and I’d end up pausing when doing so anyways. That concept works a lot better on DS/3DS due to both screens always being in your field of view.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

DLC Inc posted:

Skyward Sword is still one of the few times where I felt completely loving hoodwinked by the critical consensus of a videogame

Legit gave me an "Am I So Out Of Touch?" moment. Literally nothing about it clicked for me and all the coverage treating it like the second coming.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I didn't quite get the controls until the cutting minigame and suddenly it clicked perfectly

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I enjoyed Skyward Sword. The motion controls worked perfectly for me. My biggest criticism was the boring and sometimes annoying overworld. I’d play it again if it got an HD version with things tightened like turning off Fi’s dumb hints.

I’d much rather have the excellent Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD ports come to Switch first though.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Klisejo posted:

Legit gave me an "Am I So Out Of Touch?" moment. Literally nothing about it clicked for me and all the coverage treating it like the second coming.

Zelda is one of those where the critics are afraid to trust their own judgement and say it's bad. Nobody in their audience wants to hear that the new Zelda is bad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Good thing Skyward Sword is good, then.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

there is goodness somewhere inside Skyward Sword but it's surrounded by a lot of bullshit. I think it's more interesting than Twilight Princess at least

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

TheScott2K posted:

Zelda is one of those where the critics are afraid to trust their own judgement and say it's bad. Nobody in their audience wants to hear that the new Zelda is bad.

For sure, take TP for example. A perfectly average game but since it carried the title of sacred cow, the critics panned it as an accomplishment akin to OoT, a must play, yet another crowning achievement etc.

Like nah dawgs, I can't remember anything about that game other than the cool frozen house dungeon. It was a generic brown fantasy game with an empty completely non-interactive world. Nothing about it felt inspired or interesting (sans that one frozen dungeon), there was no noticeable improvement or change to the gameplay (wolf link was extremely lame). The content between dungeons was downright atrocious, the dungeons themselves are a brown blur, and there wasn't any mystery, intrigue, or really interesting bits. I guess the battle with ganandorf was ok, I'm really sick of fighting that one dude/pig tho

I'd say it's a solid 6 or 7 at best. To be honest the only Zelda games that have gotten me inspired/riled up in the last decade or so were the GB games and botw. For such an acclaimed series, Zelda has a ton of duds. Compare it to something like from software and it almost makes nintendo seem like a scrappy inexperienced company

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

For sure, take TP for example. A perfectly average game but since it carried the title of sacred cow, the critics panned it as an accomplishment akin to OoT, a must play, yet another crowning achievement etc.

Like nah dawgs, I can't remember anything about that game other than the cool frozen house dungeon. It was a generic brown fantasy game with an empty completely non-interactive world. Nothing about it felt inspired or interesting (sans that one frozen dungeon), there was no noticeable improvement or change to the gameplay (wolf link was extremely lame). The content between dungeons was downright atrocious, the dungeons themselves are a brown blur, and there wasn't any mystery, intrigue, or really interesting bits. I guess the battle with ganandorf was ok, I'm really sick of fighting that one dude/pig tho

I'd say it's a solid 6 or 7 at best. To be honest the only Zelda games that have gotten me inspired/riled up in the last decade or so were the GB games and botw. For such an acclaimed series, Zelda has a ton of duds. Compare it to something like from software and it almost makes nintendo seem like a scrappy inexperienced company

The malo mart music was great at least

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Twilight Princess came out in 2006, it's got a lot of things we can be critical of because games have changed a lot in 13 years. At the time it was pretty great, even the Jeff Gerstmann review that people reference like some kind of savage takedown of the series is still an 8.8, that's a good score.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The only good things about Skyward Sword are the overworld lore it contributed to BotW like the Forgotten Temple and the Leviathans

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Twilight Princess came out in 2006, it's got a lot of things we can be critical of because games have changed a lot in 13 years. At the time it was pretty great, even the Jeff Gerstmann review that people reference like some kind of savage takedown of the series is still an 8.8, that's a good score.

eh my impressions are from my playthrough back in 06 and I thought it wasn't a very good game back then.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Twilight princess wasn't very good on release imo

It's one of the few Zelda games I never bothered to finish because I just got bored of it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

Twilight princess wasn't very good on release imo

It's one of the few Zelda games I never bothered to finish because I just got bored of it

they should have fully embraced the frozen dungeon approach and made dungeons "surprises" that you figure out halfway through because they're so organically designed within the game world, you don't even realize you're in an elemental themed palace until you come across a compass or some poo poo

that definitely owned and it was a shame to see nintendo never try anything like that since

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
There's forgettable in TP, and then there's those things which my brain actively erased in order to protect me, a nintendo fan

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cursed image

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingSlime posted:

eh my impressions are from my playthrough back in 06 and I thought it wasn't a very good game back then.

i started playing the wii u port last year and got tired of it at the sky temple. the ice mansion is really good though, to the point where it's kinda sad how bad that dungeon makes the rest of the game look in comparison

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMNAfQuEUT8

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Twilight Princess is better than Windwaker.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Twilight Princess is probably a fine game.

I just made the mistake of playing it directly after Okami.

Okami isn't the perfect game by any stretch- the first part goes on for too long, the combat's a couple notches too easy for as interesting a toolset they give you, they run out of steam right as the finale kicks off- but holy poo poo it's design and what it does with it makes the Zelda series post-OoT look lazy as gently caress. Ocarina of Time being a super mega hit might just have been the worst thing possible for the Zelda games that followed because they clung way too tight to that game's formula and design concepts for some fifteen years (barring, weirdly, the game that came directly after it)

That said, I get it Zelda is a lot of gamer's comfort food series. You go, run a bunch of well built (if overly familiar) dungeons, poke around a world looking for places to put your new toys to work, and have a bunch of interesting (in concept) gadgets to mix in with your decent swordplay. I'm a Mega Man fan, I understand. I also understand the critical darling nature of the series- LoZ on the NES or LttP on the SNES is why a lot of these critics got into the business. But the sheer vitriol that spewed out whenever a Zelda game didn't get earmarked at launch for being a new modern masterpiece is just boggling. Especially since until BotW, no main console Zelda game was better then the one before it at least since OoT. Skyward Sword wasn't better then Twilight Princess which wasn't better then Wind Waker which wasn't better then Majora's Mask which wasn't better then Ocarina of Time. Most of these cases are incredibly clear even at launch, and it's not like most of these games didn't inherit the sins of the previous game so it's not like they even get the perspective of being the 'newer, more modern' game- if you had told me Twilight Princess was the immediate follow up to OoT, I'd take a moment to boggle at the graphical leap then just kinda nod my head as I noticed how the game played. Skyward tried the hardest there but it was all waggle nonsense putting an emphasis on improving the swordplay and archery to the detriment of... most of the rest of the game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

cursed post

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wasn't a huge fan either but at least wind waker has its own personality and vibe, the first few hours really do feel like you're embarking on a brand new adventure in a fresh setting

The execution, esp the second half of the game, was kind of weak. But overall it was still a consistently enjoyable experience. As for TP, I honestly don't remember 85 percent of that game. I also remember hating the world map because everything felt weird, which as it turns out was mirrored in the Wii release or something?

Fwiw I haven't played either game since they launched, I just don't feel like it's something I need to do unlike timeless games like re4, MegaMan x, all that good stuff

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 18, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The new Switch is on sale, are there any noteworthy deals or bundles I should check out?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Remember when everyone mocked Wind Waker cause its graphics were "kiddy"? And now everyone says its the best game (it is)? Man, good times.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

punk rebel ecks posted:

No way.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Leal posted:

Remember when everyone mocked Wind Waker cause its graphics were "kiddy"? And now everyone says its the best game (it is)? Man, good times.

For the record the best Zelda game is Link's Awakening but Wind Waker is okay

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Leal posted:

Celda

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I know a lot of people love wind waker but do they often say it's the best Zelda? I haven't really seen that a lot.

Def remember the "it's too kiddie" outrage, fun times

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Leal posted:

Maybe these two "everyones" are different people?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Twilight Princess is basically "let's just do Ocarina of Time again," and it works because Ocarina of Time is good, but it lacks a certain vital spark. It's filler.

Skyward Sword's got annoyances, and it's up to each individual to decide whether they're deal-breakers. I think it hangs together really well. But Breath of the Wild couldn't have been made without learning from what it tried, because so many of the systems that make its successor work show up there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Maybe these two "everyones" are different people?

everyone does imply multiple people, yes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Twilight Princess is basically "let's just do Ocarina of Time again," and it works because Ocarina of Time is good, but it lacks a certain vital spark. It's filler.

I didn't realize Ocarina of Time was that boring

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

All 3D Zeldas are bad, except BOTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

KingSlime posted:

I also remember hating the world map because everything felt weird, which as it turns out was mirrored in the Wii release or something?

Yes, the entire game (literally everything except the UI) was mirrored in the Wii version. And yes, this even included any text in Hylian letters in maps and signs, those were mirrored too.

For example, this is the world map on GameCube (notice the vaguely legible place names):

Same on Wii (everything backwards):