Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've discovered a wide range of aggressive and puzzling Turkish food videos on Instagram, it's very weird. This watermelon one isn't surprising at all.

Yeah I was just looking at the Instagram of the guy who did the watermelon: https://www.instagram.com/faruk_cheff/?hl=en

He seems to be dedicated to making the most unappetizing seafood possible. I guess it's a Turkish thing? I dunno, maybe I'm too American in my palate, but I just couldn't eat something that looks like this:

That said the watermelon thing is still probably the worst one there. I just don't see how that could taste good.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Genuinely interested in what this one would taste like. I'm guessing it'd be a tad rubbery.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I'd imagine it'd be fine if you're into octopus texture. Really into octopus texture.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Without the picture I would absolutely assume this was an invite to a local bluegrass band. I'm going to live in that world instead.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Detective Thompson posted:

Is this a snakehead? I would guess the picture is from Southeast Asia somewhere, but do they do vegetable noodles there? Or is someone in the US finally doing something productive about invasive snakeheads?

A place in DC near where I used to live sold an 'Invasive Fish Sandwich' which was just beer battered snakehead. It was good; has the snakehead been given a more appetizing name to appeal more to the masses?

I thing orange roughy has a waaaaaay less appetizing name, but that name makes it more palatable in a restaurant.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LadyPictureShow posted:

A place in DC near where I used to live sold an 'Invasive Fish Sandwich' which was just beer battered snakehead. It was good; has the snakehead been given a more appetizing name to appeal more to the masses?

I thing orange roughy has a waaaaaay less appetizing name, but that name makes it more palatable in a restaurant.

Invasive Fish Sandwich would probably also get some warm fuzzies for casual environmentalists. These fish need to die whether anyone eats then or not, so by eating them you're indirectly doing something good for the environment. A good deed with no effort on your part, the best kind of good deed.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah I was just looking at the Instagram of the guy who did the watermelon: https://www.instagram.com/faruk_cheff/?hl=en

He seems to be dedicated to making the most unappetizing seafood possible. I guess it's a Turkish thing? I dunno, maybe I'm too American in my palate, but I just couldn't eat something that looks like this:

That said the watermelon thing is still probably the worst one there. I just don't see how that could taste good.

This is a whole lot more appetizing to me than one of those rectangular slabs of frozen fish or a McDonald's fish slurry concoction.

The octopus one ehhh idk but that's basically a terrine of sorts?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

For some reason, I've discovered that Turkish cooks on social media really like to prepare food as fast and as hostile as humanly possible, including slapping meat, squeezing everything violently, and throwing toppings and sauces everywhere with vigour. It's quite remarkable and I can't look away sometimes.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

The largest lake in Japan is being overtaken by various invasive species, some of which the local aquarium delights in serving at its cafeteria. There's an explicit "let's get those bastards" vibe to their signage for these dishes.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I know Chilean sea bass is less glamorously known as Patagonian toothfish.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

This is a whole lot more appetizing to me than one of those rectangular slabs of frozen fish or a McDonald's fish slurry concoction.

The octopus one ehhh idk but that's basically a terrine of sorts?

I used to process those slabs. McDonald's fish is not any kind of slurry. That's the beef and nuggets.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

LadyPictureShow posted:

Orange roughy used to be slimefish, IIRC.

Around DC, northern snakeheads are called frankenfish. They are able to airbreathe enough to survive for several days out of water, and young ones can move overland (hence the moniker).There's a lot of strong feeling about them around DC because the darn things are so predatory and the invasion is so recent that people pretty much helplessly watched it happen despite efforts to unhappen it. Alas.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hirayuki posted:

The largest lake in Japan is being overtaken by various invasive species, some of which the local aquarium delights in serving at its cafeteria. There's an explicit "let's get those bastards" vibe to their signage for these dishes.

I know Chilean sea bass is less glamorously known as Patagonian toothfish.

Well, then I've certainly done my part to fight back against the snakeheads! :chef:

In other news, my brother sent me this photo to show the scale of a burrito (chicken finger, hot, w/blue cheese added) he ate this afternoon.

Yes, he finished the entire thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A cubit of burrito is a lot of burrito.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A long, exhausting, and delicious crime against nature.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TotalLossBrain posted:

A long, exhausting, and delicious crime against nature.

Don't post about my genital

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

"Invasive Fish" sounds like a candiru

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Invasive Fish" sounds like a candiru

If it was near DC its probably snakehead

https://www.wypr.org/post/now-menu-snakehead-cakes-and-kudzu-salad

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiSVUFVyb00

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I'm partial to mixing ice cold water and this

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Am I going crazy or are those pieces of peeled lemon in there alongside the orange?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Well, then I've certainly done my part to fight back against the snakeheads! :chef:

In other news, my brother sent me this photo to show the scale of a burrito (chicken finger, hot, w/blue cheese added) he ate this afternoon.

How. How.
Dude must regularly eat huge meals to have a stomach stretched out to do that.

What I'm saying is his stomach has stretch marks.

e: sometimes I think lack of sleep posting should be prohibited like drunk posting. No one is going to get this but I'm not editing this thing to be more coherent. The idea of an organ having stretch marks is amusing at 2 AM. Shut up. Just shut up.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Aug 19, 2019

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

I would regret that for a week.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

RareAcumen posted:

Am I going crazy or are those pieces of peeled lemon in there alongside the orange?

Pretty sure they are limes, I peel and eat them several times a week. They are a bit of a hassle to peel until you get the hang of it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was thinking pomelo.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yes, pomelo, the fruit we all often eat

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was thinking pomelo.

Could be but is a bit small to be pomelo, and limes kinda break up like that because they dont like to separate as much into wedges like pomelo or oranges.
Source: I eat a lot of limes.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

this is violence

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

It's grapefruit segments :rolleye:

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Yes, the tiny lime green grapefruit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tea and crackers? :confused:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RareAcumen posted:

Yea, lemon segments. The orange segments are clementines and the apple slices are honeycrisp.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DicktheCat posted:

How. How.
Dude must regularly eat huge meals to have a stomach stretched out to do that.

What I'm saying is his stomach has stretch marks.

Yeah, he's a biggun, and his eating feats are well documented amongst family and friends.

One time he went out for 5 cent wing night, and a while later he called me to let me know he had 'beat Roger Maris's record', which had been his goal going into things.

Sure, wings you get at a 5/10 cent night are on the dinky side generally, but he ate 68 chicken wings (he didn't just stop once he passed 61). Another time he managed 82.

If he drops dead from eating like this, I'll be sure to post his obituary.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/griffski/status/1163371116368474112?s=21

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ripped it on my new PC

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008