Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The old Bandai lady bodies weren't that egregious, they were just typical exaggerated unrealistic comic book lady torsos.

Sculpted badly and with poor articulation.

But I digress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://external-preview.redd.it/4dxBs-0J4zXeOa4UL0ZODPnct0boY9d5R9NA-8E7sAQ.jpg?auto=webp&s=65659cfa5b1664c0b452c673fbeb0cec4eeb82ce

This is the exact body type of every single figure that didn't have armor pieces. All of the dudes were super chunk ultra muscles and all of the women were big titted ultra waifs who look like they're wearing body paint instead of a suit.

This isn't even a good shot of the female mold either- each of their tits are the size of their loving heads. And ALL of them share this mold.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Morby posted:

2 ladies out of all of those waves? Jesus, Hasbro! Can you at least give me a Jen?

This is just a toy problem in general. Power Rangers is marketed to young boys and they don’t want gross girls because they have cooties or whatever. Most female characters in most toy lines are either peg warmers or are the rarest ones to get because they make so little. Same for villains. I’m still excited for this line either way. Besides a few stiff ankle joints and a sloppy paint job on a dragon dagger, I’ve been really happy with what I’ve picked up so far.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So if one wanted to watch PR again after not watching any since the original series where would one start of the PR series available on Netflix ? something that "holds up" to adult viewing (or as much as can be expected from a kids show) if that makes sense ?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah this line has been fantastic and Kim looks great. Trini is just a unique case I'm curious about how they're going to handle.

The dudes mostly sharing the same kind of body type in this line actually DOES make sense, for the record- as we've discussed before, big athletic dudes all generally look the same in spandex.

One figure I really hope they do is Scorpina. She'd be fantastic to have partnered up with Goldar, she's got one of the best lady villain designs, she's MMPR and still pretty drat popular, and she has a unique look all her own.

Trakeena would be an easy figure to push down the line as well as Astronema, but Scorpina was the first. It'd be great to see her. I was wondering if you could do a thing with her monster head like they did with Kruger, but her design changes pretty radically between her human and monster forms.

EDIT: In Space probably. Anywhere from In Space to Time Force is a good bet. They're close to what you remember, but more matured, with some of the best action stuff even to this day. Each have their own flaws, but you can tell it's when they were really stretching their wings. Wild Force was a stumble and starting with Ninja Storm, things kind of took a severe turn for the worst.

I like Dino Thunder just fine but the over all story is weak as piss and the ending is a joke, and the other seasons all have their own serious shades of problems. RPM is really good as well, though don't let the internet overhype it for you either. It's just a bit snarkier than the rest.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 17, 2019

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

mfny posted:

So if one wanted to watch PR again after not watching any since the original series where would one start of the PR series available on Netflix ? something that "holds up" to adult viewing (or as much as can be expected from a kids show) if that makes sense ?

Time Force, SPD, RPM are ones most people recommend, though I’m gonna add Jungle Fury to that list too. Super under appreciated.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lost Galaxy too if your can roll with it. There's a giant space ark with mountains and roughly a dozen ancient artifacts happened to have been located on it and there's air in space.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'll throw a coin in for Dino Charge. It doesn't have the pathos that PRiS, or Time Force manage, but it's super fun. Juggles a cast of a bunch of rangers, the villains are decent, and the zords are ok.

I mean, it's got a cast member that is a Power Ranger caveman and it's not that dumb a premise. It embraces that cartoony comic nature from the original but the show makes it work.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

I really hope she doesn't just get a copy paste of Kimberly's body, because that simply isn't what she looked like.

Neither girl looked like a stripper in spandex, especially given that they were regularly wearing compression clothing underneath.

This isn’t Bibsposting, but we were getting there for a minute.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Neither girl looked like a stripper in spandex, especially given that they were regularly wearing compression clothing underneath.

This isn’t Bibsposting, but we were getting there for a minute.

I was referring to the Lightning Collection body mold, where Kim actually LOOKS like Kim, and not Maya's actress in body paint.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah but Kim and Trini, in your usual command center helmets-off shot, the major difference was height. You didn’t notice that one was stacked compared to the other or anything, unless you were weird. There’s one or two re-shots out there that are the exception because the cast aren’t wearing the compression clothes that flatten curves and hide genitals, but I don’t think those were filmed as carefully.

I’m just going to assume they were never going to use Sentai footage for the body molds anyway.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Hasbro has like three body molds for every woman in the entire Marvel universe, I doubt there's going to be an real differences between female rangers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah but Kim and Trini, in your usual command center helmets-off shot, the major difference was height. You didn’t notice that one was stacked compared to the other or anything, unless you were weird. There’s one or two re-shots out there that are the exception because the cast aren’t wearing the compression clothes that flatten curves and hide genitals, but I don’t think those were filmed as carefully.

I’m just going to assume they were never going to use Sentai footage for the body molds anyway.

This was specifically what I was going off of. Here Kim looks about right to how her Lightning Figure looks. Though spandex is unflattering no matter what so who knows

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Ok, let’s just go through all we know here to set everything straight.

Zyu Pink

MMPR Pink

Lightning Collection Pink

Legacy Pink

Zyu Yellow

MMPR Yellow

Legacy Yellow

Yes, the legacy figures had a much more exaggerated body shape for male and female characters. The Lightning Collection is truer to the source material. I’m sure Hasbro would want to save money and will likely use the same body mold for Trini as they do Kim, just sans skirt. They were pretty similar in body shape. Now if there’s one thing we should be complaining about with the Lightning figures, it’s why the heck does Kim not have double jointed elbows. If it wasn’t for those butterfly joints, she wouldn’t be able to shoot her bow.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

This was specifically what I was going off of.

Yeah she’s not wearing the sports bra or compression top or whatever they use for command center scenes and promotional shots here.

The same is the case in the octophantom episode where they had to re-shoot the captured rangers to not be tied to crosses. The sequence is like two seconds long and clearly not shot with DVDs in mind, but the shape of her boobs are on full display.

There’s a similar episode with the green ranger’s teenie weenie, probably JDF would say they used the stunt person for that one. :b

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Minor nitpick: There is no ZyuPink and ZyuYellow (it's PteraRanger and TigerRanger), otherwise agreed for the most part.

As for shows to watch: In Space, Time Force, SPD, Jungle Fury (a vastly underrated season in my opinon), RPM, and Dino Charge are all good choices. The current season Beast Morphers seems pretty decent as well (no idea when it's coming back to the states but new English episodes have been airing in Australia as of late and can be found online if you care to search for them) and while Zeo and the original MMPR have stupid moments they still hold up pretty well regardless.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 18, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah she’s not wearing the sports bra or compression top or whatever they use for command center scenes and promotional shots here.

The same is the case in the octophantom episode where they had to re-shoot the captured rangers to not be tied to crosses. The sequence is like two seconds long and clearly not shot with DVDs in mind, but the shape of her boobs are on full display.

There’s a similar episode with the green ranger’s teenie weenie, probably JDF would say they used the stunt person for that one. :b

As a kid I always noticed the additional boobage, but my kid mind just combined that with them taking off the helmet meaning the suit was relaxed.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I blame mrbibs for the last page and a half.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Speaking of Ptero, why was she silver in like one group weapon attack shot? I always noticed that as a kid and it just flashed by without comment.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FilthyImp posted:

Speaking of Ptero, why was she silver in like one group weapon attack shot? I always noticed that as a kid and it just flashed by without comment.

Cheap Japanese TV-grade film stock isn't the most durable medium.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will say this for MMPR, notably season 1

Season 1 is shockingly Not Terrible when compared to toku of its era. It really isn't. The ending is a wet fart because the real ending isn't until season 3, but season 1 is actually a pretty good toku series, that manages to be distinct from ZyuRanger despite taking so much footage from it. It's not the best thing ever, but it's got a lot of good to it and it gets better as it goes, with the Zyu2 footage being both unique and a lot of fun.

Season 2 starts out pretty strong (with some hilarious missteps) but falls apart after a while. Season 3 is REALLY good to start but it just loses its momentum

Zeo is a perfectly fine piece of tokusatsu. It is exceedingly well done in what it tries to do, nothing too ambitious and nothing too egregious.

It is a Good Show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In fact I would actually go so far as to say that Zeo is better than its Sentai counterpart (though the villains in Ohranger were probably the best part of that season). There are a few duds here and there but it’s overall a decent show that’s absolutely worth watching.

In regards to MMPR Season 2, at the very least I will say that Lord Zedd is a better (or at least more entertaining) villain than any of the Gorma Tribe in Dairanger.

FilthyImp posted:

Bad film quality, she’s back to being pink in the DVD version of that scene (the Zyuranger DVDs at least, not sure if they fixed it in the MMPR ones).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 18, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Season 2 starts strong and falls apart fast, but gets good again right around the turned into a kid two parter, which is immediately followed by The Wedding and then a bunch of good to great ones through the end of the series, so like episode 39 through 52.

I'd say generally the first 18 episodes are pretty good with a couple boring ones in there(up through Tommy becoming white ranger), the middle is mostly very boring and only good for gawking at the poo poo they were trying to get away with with three missing actors, and then the last 13 are good to great.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Funky Valentine posted:

Cheap Japanese TV-grade film stock isn't the most durable medium.
Holy balls seriously?! I always thought it was some weird Japanese color-draining enemy or someshit. It's literally a film error? Goddamn.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
On the topic of recommendations, once again I'll be the one to suggest looking up the Super Sentai originals, especially since Shout Factory has them up for free streaming

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

drrockso20 posted:

On the topic of recommendations, once again I'll be the one to suggest looking up the Super Sentai originals, especially since Shout Factory has them up for free streaming

Strong agree. In particular:

Mahou Sentai Magiranger - Power Rangers, but they are also wizards and all brothers and sisters. I’m not sure if it was trying to build on the popularity of Harry Potter or what. Strong cast, a couple of good overarching plots through the series, good mech design. Adapted as Power Rangers Mystic Force.

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger - One of the rare Sentai series to just take a serious premise and play it mostly straight. A great cast, especially Red, who gives a really deep performance. A really solid series. Adapted as Power Rangers Samurai, and they apparently tried to use the plot points almost beat for beat, leading to a white dude with a Japanese last name being mentored by a Maori guy.

Tokemei Sentai Go Busters - Another mostly serious Sentai. Set in the far-flung future year of 2012, humanity has harnessed a clean energy source, but computer terrorists led by a sentient program want to steal it. Notable for Enter, who is hands down the best acted antagonist in any Sentai show - (over)acted brilliantly by Syo Jinnai. The plot goes to some really interesting places, and the ending is spectacular. You can see that Toei were experimenting with a bunch of stylistic changes for this season, and apparently they all failed domestically, but they work together to make a really watchable show. Adapted to Power Rangers Beast Morphers, which is currently airing but doesn’t quite hit the same high points.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/jdfffn/status/1163230702634065920?s=19

:smith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

As far as recommendations go, people seem to love Boukenger as much as they hate Operation Overdrive. I haven't seen the former although can certainly understand the latter. Was it Overdrive who had somebody playing a thief that turned out to actually be a thief? Feels like par for the course with that show.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dawgstar posted:

As far as recommendations go, people seem to love Boukenger as much as they hate Operation Overdrive. I haven't seen the former although can certainly understand the latter. Was it Overdrive who had somebody playing a thief that turned out to actually be a thief? Feels like par for the course with that show.

Long story short: Samuel Benta who play Overdrive Black took an autographed banner that was suppose to be auctioned off for Make-A-Wish at the first Power Morphicon and when confronted refused to return it. He has basically been blacklisted by the fandom for stealing from sick kids.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mateo360 posted:

Long story short: Samuel Benta who play Overdrive Black took an autographed banner that was suppose to be auctioned off for Make-A-Wish at the first Power Morphicon and when confronted refused to return it. He has basically been blacklisted by the fandom for stealing from sick kids.

And last I heard he feels no remorse for taking it either. gently caress that guy.

Overdrive had plenty of other problems besides that of course (Boukenger is good though) but it’s watchable at least.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Did he loving sell it off or does he just have a giant For Sick Kids Love Rangers banner in his apartment now?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

FilthyImp posted:

Did he loving sell it off or does he just have a giant For Sick Kids Love Rangers banner in his apartment now?

he kept it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Another reason to hate Overdrive is that was the season when Bandai of America switched to using their own molds for the Megazords rather than using the Bandai of Japan molds, especially criminal considering Boukenger has some of the best mecha designs in the franchise

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Operation Overdrive had Snow Miser and Heat Miser as main villains and I'll give it props for that.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

That's why its so important to have good merch for the few lady Rangers we do have

This and it’s not like there aren’t fan favorites amongst the ladies. I’m glad we’re getting Kim and Trini, but I really hope other ladies get representation as well. If we must play it safe with MMPR, I’d buy an Aisha in a heartbeat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mateo360 posted:

he kept it

That's... even worse than I thought, even if I'm not sure what else he'd do with it. Screw that guy.

Morby posted:

This and it’s not like there aren’t fan favorites amongst the ladies. I’m glad we’re getting Kim and Trini, but I really hope other ladies get representation as well. If we must play it safe with MMPR, I’d buy an Aisha in a heartbeat.

IIt would get us another female Ranger, so I do hope for a Boom Twins two-pack at one point.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FilthyImp posted:

I’d love if it said For Sick Kids Love Rangers, but it was probably closer to For Wealthy Fan Love Rangers.

I’m not exactly sure what he thought he was going to do with something lots of people know is stolen. Find some random pawn shop that doesn’t even google unique Hollywood items?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Beast Morphers spoilers

Well Vargoyle showed up and he's not Neo Grifforzer, he's the Dangaloid from Go-Busters elevated to sub-villain status.

So what the heck is that last figure in Wave 5 supposed to be, and how are they gonna use that costume???

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best thing they could do

NEO GOLDAR

Goldar REBORN

Come on, give it to us

We've got Jason, and as much as I love Tommy and Goldar's fight in Green No More, Jason V Goldar was always the MVP rivalry. Bring Goldar back for the grudgematch of the century!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tommy: You're a...

Tommy: You're a...

Goldar: SAY IT!!!!!!

Tommy: YOU'RE A FOOL, GOLDAR! (jumps 50 feet vertically into the sky as my theme song kicks in)

(5 minutes later)

Tommy(internally): I got it, I'll disguise myself as a watermelon