Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

pssst.

hey.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is real good Y'all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAn4PNRRSrU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Bumble He posted:

talking citcon:

i think it would be time for a big retrospective theme this year.
like: “guys it has been an absolutely amazing journey with the best community in the world!“

why not spin the narrative and look back how this was the most awesome game project of all times.

I figured that was the plan what with things like. "Look at all the years of cool swag." Showing up on Twitter.

It's a good play in my opinion if you want to milk a cult. Fosters the in group narrative.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Oh dear he's from my country, isn't he.

Maybe I could become a refugee.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Jonny Nox posted:

pssst.

hey.

I especially like the ranty bit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAn4PNRRSrU&t=76s).

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Jonny Nox posted:

pssst.

hey.

Hehe, devs with a sense of humour :)

Notice the underside of his tea cup at the end?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Sabreseven posted:

Hehe, devs with a sense of humour :)

Notice the underside of his tea cup at the end?

I've always really enjoyed their tweets and poo poo talking since announcing RG:O - if it hadn't been on Epic I'd have bought it just to support that.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

They're not going to put out a big flashy demo at CitCon for the same reason they didn't put one out last year: All the big flashy demos were made by other companies, and they've burned everybody in the industry who could possibly work with them.

It's important to keep this in mind. There is nobody at CIG competent enough to put together something like the sandworm demo, or the vertical slice. These guys can barely make sitting in a chair function correctly, you think they can put together 45 minutes of semi-interesting footage? All they ever produced for those things was the art assets- everything else was coming from other, better dev teams.

This year's CitCon will be a near-future preview of whatever poo poo assets they've managed to get working. It'll be thoroughly uninteresting and mostly focus on stuff that they will deliver in the next three months- new particle effects, new damage states, new missile contrails, whatever. Just random pretty poo poo. There won't be any promises or previews of big mechanics. That era is over. Chris is barely even connected to this thing anymore. I mean he really hasn't even appeared once in the last 6 months. His orders are to hunker down, don't say anything stupid, churn out minimal progress, and keep taking money until the last possible minute when he slams the doors and turns out the lights.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Jesus, he's literally describing the concept of pitching Star Citizen, then justifies backing Star Citizen like all those "risks" weren't part of that backing. I wish I had the capacity to turn my brain off to this level...

I don't think I've ever paid a tax. My bad.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Sabreseven posted:

They could imagine a new minigame where you have to imagine yourself at a certain speed and height before you can deploy the imaginary net, also they would have to run detailed imaginary scans to find the rarest and most profitable imaginary fish, and if they are mega successful at it, rather than an aquarium they could own an 'imaginarium' stocked to the brim with rare mo-capped fish.

Can Gardiner do the rare fish mo-cap?

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 18, 2019

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Sandweed posted:

I'm not a native English speaker and always have problems with this.

I suppose my issue with this error is that, to me, these words sound completely different, yet so many people confuse them.

It's my pet peeve error, for some reason.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Colostomy Bag posted:

English is my worstest language.

Don't worry about it. Lie/lay and who/whom for etc.

Just let loose and lose the inhibitions of making a mistake.

I only just recently got lie/lay. Still don't get who/whom.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

skeletors_condom posted:

Can Gardiner do the rare fish mo-ca?

I'm sure it would be possible if she promised to not strangle anyone. :)

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
looking forward to chris' keynote (at his very own convention!). what will be the theme and tone?

- the future (get hype for bdsse)
- the present (amazing progress and roadmap development)
- the past (what an advanture. gamedev is haaard!)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

XK posted:

I only just recently got lie/lay. Still don't get who/whom.

For who/whom just think of when you'd use he/him. Who did it? He did it. Money was stolen from whom? Money was stolen from him.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bumble He posted:

looking forward to chris' keynote (at his very own convention!). what will be the theme and tone?

At this point they should just ditch the pretense and call it ConCon. It's not like they'll lose the remaining backers. The people left are pure, distilled idiocy. They've got them for life.

Chris doesn't care about Star Citizen or SQ42. He can ask these backers to give him free money until the day he dies and they'll take out loans to send it to him.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

For who/whom just think of when you'd use he/him. Who did it? He did it. Money was stolen from whom? Money was stolen from him.
Fair enough. Write a typical syntax structure of a sentence using 'whom' that doesn't underline the underline trigger within the browser.

e: You know I'm not being an rear end about this.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Bumble He posted:

- LOOK AT OUR COMMUNITY, OUR COMMUNITY IS THE GREATEST, PS OUR COMMUNITY

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Since we're making Citizen-Conned predictions, here's mine:

The "big reveal" will be Squadron stuff. Art assets, probably a new teaser scene with those A-list actors. Citizens may fantasize about CI(G) working on all sorts of stuff for Star Citizen behind the scenes, but, other than salable assets, that doesn't seem to really happen. But for Squadron 42, it does. I'd bet that the main happening at CI(G) is utter panic about that Squadron 42 Beta date, and more and more all hands on deck, pulled off of SC, to try to not blow past Q2 2020 too badly.

Any significant demo they have will come out of the Squadron 42 side of things. Anything SC will be basically for sales.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
I wonder if their office space-airlock is still working. Or if they have to clip though it to get to work.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Fair enough. Write a typical syntax structure of a sentence using 'whom' that doesn't underline the underline trigger within the browser.

e: You know I'm not being an rear end about this.

"For whom the bear tolls"

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Scruffpuff posted:

That's whom in the wheelchair? That's him in the wheelchair!
Checks out.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Thoatse posted:

My preference for poo poo like this is mdf and a sprayable catalyzed high-fill polyester primer like PCL Polyprimer to seal and contour with but maybe I just don't understand custom furniture development. I suppose using a tooling paste over mdf and cnc'ing post cure might be more sensible in many cases but particle and vapor capture/containment becomes much more vital.

I love everything about this post.
:five:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
All they need to do at CitizenCon is have live streams with content that isn't prerecorded or edited.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws2kzfaj0zk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001ZIKlGJrw

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

:staredog:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Trump parachute account spotted

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol, backers thinking people are upset about the estimates. Everyone understands, that is not even remotely the issue with Star Citizen at all. I know i'm speaking to the choir here, but it's the fact that the game has been in pre-alpha since 2012, is up to 230 million dollars in crowdfunding, and has made no progress.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The fact that that's not a link to the one angry gamer racist tirade is criminal

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

That's whom in the wheelchair? That's him in the wheelchair!
Checks out.

:lol:

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

I said come in! posted:

lol, backers thinking people are upset about the estimates. Everyone understands, that is not even remotely the issue with Star Citizen at all. I know i'm speaking to the choir here, but it's the fact that the game has been in pre-alpha since 2012, is up to 230 million dollars in crowdfunding, and has made no progress.

Why do you lie ? That's not supporting your arguments. You know there's been progress. Everybody knows. See that pixel there ? It's green. It used to be blue.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I said come in! posted:

Plenty of people are mad about the estimates for good loving reason.

You shouldnt be poo poo at estimates after 5 years of being poo poo at estimates.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Plenty of people are mad about the estimates for good loving reason.

You shouldnt be poo poo at estimates after 5 years of being poo poo at estimates.

I mean, I think people would be happy if there was just a functional loving game here with coherent gameplay modes and things to do. CIG still hasnt done that.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3zPu9f8Ios

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

It's that time of year again when it feels desperate, like the whole thing is going to implode at any moment. Morale Ebbs lower after another year of broken promises and glacial progress. The new magic progress fix pushed last year isn't working and people are fighting hard to justify it.

It's the time of year I want to predict it's all going to come apart at citcon....but as I am capable of learning. This year we have to predict something else .

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Citcon will be a poo poo show to average at best, they will half rear end some presentations, but then release some sq42 assets and some new massive ship, out of nowhere sales will break all records.

Chris will then lay more ground work for his great absolution and soften the backers up further ... "What is a game?"

Shitizens will do victory laps pointing to this as proof of how healthy the project is, the December patch will be terrible.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The project will shamble on for yet another year... Only just slower than progress on its pending law suit.

The highlight for next year will be watching backers convince the world that sq42 was never really planned for 2020 and they knew it was going to be delayed and are happy with what they backed.

And the reactions to annual road map update ... That will be the most cut down ever but hopefully achievablw this time

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I enjoy the Citcons, I get to see all kinds of cool footage of poo poo that isn't in the game and never shows up again. Remember the sandworm? Remember the time they "flew" down to a planet to find a piece of hardware with a serial code on it that you had to pick the damned thing up and physically look at the serial number to make sure you had the right part? Remember walking slowly through a corridor in "SQ42" and it was absolutely loving horrible from stem to stern?

None of it is in the game, of course, and nobody's seen any of it since, but I'm really looking forward to this year anyway. Anything can happen!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I remember when they had a jump section that required the player to be incredibly precise and the player missed it like 3 times and had to restart every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

DigitalPenny posted:

Citcon will be a poo poo show to average at best, they will half rear end some presentations, but then release some sq42 assets and some new massive ship, out of nowhere sales will break all records.

Yeah, that part bugs me a bit. It is as regular as you imply, but I've never seen any single human say "Yeah, I save my tithe, and after CitizenCon, I just go buck wild with the credit card." Who are all these people?