Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nessus posted:

So are there any systems where all this physical stuff is PHYSIQUE while intelligence gets broken down into Knowledge, Intuition, and Spatial Awareness?

Eclipse Phase ostensibly has all your attributes be mental aptitudes. Two of these - Somatics and Coordination - are primarily about the ability to use your body, but it also has Cognition, Intuition, and Social Savvy as three components of more convention intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Glagha posted:

I like intelligence becoming knowledge instead. Like, I dunno about you but I for one do enjoy playing the nerd character. I like the wizard with their books who sees the ancient runes on the wall and is kind "ah yes this looks like ancient whatever" and remembers an ancient tome they read or something. Doesn't mean the wizard knows better than everyone else, but if you need someone who knows obscure trivia about ancient history which may or may not be relevant to the current situation, this is your guy. Nerd fantasies do make intelligence be the "be the best" stat instead of the "good at studying" stat though.

I feel like this kind of stuff is better handled by skills, or feats, or something other than implying that knowledge is some kind of inherent ability

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LatwPIAT posted:

Eclipse Phase ostensibly has all your attributes be mental aptitudes. Two of these - Somatics and Coordination - are primarily about the ability to use your body, but it also has Cognition, Intuition, and Social Savvy as three components of more convention intelligence.
Seems like a more reasonable breakdown if you must keep the habit. And I suppose EP has all the body swapping so things like strength, height, ability to endure shelling etc. would be per-frame rather than intrinsic to the character.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Darwinism posted:

I feel like this kind of stuff is better handled by skills, or feats, or something other than implying that knowledge is some kind of inherent ability

You can say that for all the ability scores though (which might be a point all on its own). Like, you can definitely work out a bunch to get stronger. I feel like having a stat that is "ability to be a fuckin nerd and know things" isn't inherently a bad thing.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Glagha posted:

You can say that for all the ability scores though (which might be a point all on its own). Like, you can definitely work out a bunch to get stronger. I feel like having a stat that is "ability to be a fuckin nerd and know things" isn't inherently a bad thing.

Sure and agreed, there's no reason to try to measure inherent potential as opposed to learned potential, and it causes lots of both narrative and world-view problems. (There's also no very good mechanical reason.)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Darwinism posted:

Having a stat for somethng doesn't necessarily imply it's an inherent ability, though. Like, I could have the stats in my game be Strength, Dexterity, Constitution and Wealth; I don't think anyone would interpret that as suggesting that having gobs of money lying around is an inbuilt status in the same way as being really beefy is.

Equally, then, you could have one of the stats be something like "Education" or "Lore" or something to indicate that the character -- through whatever means -- has amassed a whole load of book-learning, and they tend to solve problems by pulling out some obscure piece of trivia from their past that turns out to be relevant. That feels a lot better to me than calling the stat "Intelligence".

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nessus posted:

Seems like a more reasonable breakdown if you must keep the habit. And I suppose EP has all the body swapping so things like strength, height, ability to endure shelling etc. would be per-frame rather than intrinsic to the character.

That would make sense, so EP doesn't do that. Instead, strong bodies add to your Somatics score.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well now it doesn't. Morphs add to Pools in 2e instead of directly affecting your attributes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

So if Intelligence is dressed up differently it is OK?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Darwinism posted:

Have you ever, ever been somewhere where someone seriously went, "I am the smartest person here, therefor I should be in charge," and that like... actually worked? At all, even in the slightest?

The LessWrong people are deep into that rabbit hole, and they have some weird sex cult poo poo going on.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Lord_Hambrose posted:

So if Intelligence is dressed up differently it is OK?

Depends on what you mean by "dressed up differently." If you're talking about reframing the context of the "smart person" stat in such a way that it better reflects the systemic origin of knowledge spreading or attach it to some combination of personality traits rather than suggesting some sort of in-born genetic destiny to "intelligence" then it could be fine.

If you're picking a different word like "smarts" or "brains" then that's not going to work super well.

Roadie posted:

The LessWrong people are deep into that rabbit hole, and they have some weird sex cult poo poo going on.

The LessWrong folks are definitely huge into this idea of their own in-born superiority and how "conventional" thinking holds them back and they're super gross and sexually abusive about it.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
D&D already represents intelligence with at least four factors. (Int, Wis, Cha, and level, at least.) Renaming Int to Edu is probably more than sufficient.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Whybird posted:

Having a stat for somethng doesn't necessarily imply it's an inherent ability, though. Like, I could have the stats in my game be Strength, Dexterity, Constitution and Wealth; I don't think anyone would interpret that as suggesting that having gobs of money lying around is an inbuilt status in the same way as being really beefy is.

Plenty of actual people in this hobby would make the argument that wealth-making/hording is inherited to your face if you just reworded it slightly to be more vaguely anti-Semitic so I don't know if your point here is as good as you think it is

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The thing is that INT has in-game benchmarks so it doesn't matter how a character meets them. It's irrelevant whether they studied real hard, have a natural affinity for jamming spells in their skull, preternatural cognition, improvised quickly, or whatever.

It's an abstraction, just like all the other attributes. STR doesn't differentiate between core strength, upper body, or leg day. If you can bend bars / lift gates at X percentage, you have Y Strength.

If you can learn X bonus spells, you have Y Intelligence.

moths fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 19, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

moths posted:

The thing is that INT has in-game benchmarks so it doesn't matter how a character meets them. It's irrelevant whether they studied real hard, have a natural affinity for jamming spells in their skull, preternatural cognition, improvised quickly, or whatever.

It's an abstraction, just like all the other attributes. STR doesn't differentiate between core strength, upper body, or leg day. If you can bend bars / lift gates at X percentage, you have Y Strength.

Then maybe the Intelligence stat should be updated to reflect that it's magical ability being quantified, not intelligence.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The six stats, Melee Damage Bonus, Hitpoints, Stuff For Rogues, Spells, Pretty Much Clerics Only (And Perception I Guess), and Diplomacy Checks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This discussion reminds me of when I saw Celebrity Jeopardy with astronaut Mark Kelly, NFL quarterback Aaron Rodgers, and Kevin O Leary from Shark Tank.

Figured the astronaut was going to do really well, especially on the science categories.
Aaron Rodgers slayed it. He got to a huge lead at the beginning and widened it throughout the game. So in addition to being good looking, a top tier quarterback, and super rich, he's also really good at Jeopardy :mad:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

King of Solomon posted:

Then maybe the Intelligence stat should be updated to reflect that it's magical ability being quantified, not intelligence.
Call of Cthulhu, ironically, does this better. There is still INT but it is explicitly "cleverness and intuition," with the other factors unpacked into EDU (how much book learning you have - you can explicitly be high EDU, low INT, or vice versa) and POW (force of personality, affects magic power and some aspects of social presence).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

The six stats, Melee Damage Bonus, Hitpoints, Stuff For Rogues, Spells, Pretty Much Clerics Only (And Perception I Guess), and Diplomacy Checks.

I've thought about combining Wisdom and Charisma into "Poise", to go with combining Strength and Constitution into one stat, and then splitting Intelligence into one stat for education/memorization and one for puzzle-solving and quick thinking.

Edit: gently caress it, just make it four stats. Brawn (Fort saves), Agility (Ref saves), Lore (??? saves), Poise (Will saves).

Roadie fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 19, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

This discussion reminds me of when I saw Celebrity Jeopardy with astronaut Mark Kelly, NFL quarterback Aaron Rodgers, and Kevin O Leary from Shark Tank.

Figured the astronaut was going to do really well, especially on the science categories.
Aaron Rodgers slayed it. He got to a huge lead at the beginning and widened it throughout the game. So in addition to being good looking, a top tier quarterback, and super rich, he's also really good at Jeopardy :mad:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Kai Tave posted:

Fighter, Rogue, Health, Wizard, Cleric (and Perception), Diplomacy.

Paladins are Fighter Diplomats
Monks are Rogue Perception Fighters
Barbarians are Healthy Fighters
Sorcerors, Bards and Warlocks are different types of Diplomancers.
Rangers are Perception Rogues (and not rogue clerics, which are a different thing and worth 100xp at level 1)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nessus posted:

Call of Cthulhu, ironically, does this better. There is still INT but it is explicitly "cleverness and intuition," with the other factors unpacked into EDU (how much book learning you have - you can explicitly be high EDU, low INT, or vice versa) and POW (force of personality, affects magic power and some aspects of social presence).
Yeah, it pans out nicely there because EDU determines your skill points for occupational skills and so that reflects your training, whilst INT determines how many skill points you have available for non-occupational skills (which I guess makes it a measure of your capacity to do further mental labour in learning new skills outside of work).

7th Edition is an even bigger improvement because whilst in the old system your career skills were based solely off EDU, making it a bit of a god stat, now it depends on your application - stuff like being a college professor might be based off EDU solely, whereas other professions might have it based off EDU and some other stat. (Artists, for instance, get to choose between being based off EDU and DEX - which I guess represents being an artist known mainly for their fine technique - or EDU and POW, which can represent being an artist known more for their creative, original ideas.) EDU's still good in all cases because having more training is clearly better than having less training, but it's less of an all-conquering stat, and it's much harder to roll a character who gets a truly miserably low number of skill points unless you are either incredibly unlucky in rolling your stats (assuming rolling rather than point buy or an array is being used) or you deliberately choose to play a character who's bad at their day job because that's what you want to play.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
One of the early "Let's try to beat D&D at its own game" RPGs, SPI's Dragonquest, had no intelligence stat at all, just a "Magic Aptitude" stat and Perception, the latter of which was the same for everyone. Various schools of magic required more magic aptitude to play with, with greater summoning requiring basically average values while being a psychic required a pretty high score, based on the idea that demons want people to be able to contact and contract with them fairly easily and being a psychic was almost all your own internal power.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Intelligence is the stat for overcoming obstacles.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Pendragon has no INT stat.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Meinberg posted:

Depends on what you mean by "dressed up differently." If you're talking about reframing the context of the "smart person" stat in such a way that it better reflects the systemic origin of knowledge spreading or attach it to some combination of personality traits rather than suggesting some sort of in-born genetic destiny to "intelligence" then it could be fine.

If you're picking a different word like "smarts" or "brains" then that's not going to work

So yes?

It seems pretty obvious that training is also rolled in to intelligence as having more of it give you more skill points as well as, and this is the important bit, the fact that you can raise it like strength or other physical stats. I have always felt INT was book learning while wisdom is non book learning and charisma was social skills. This is of course applicable to d&d derivatives, but many other games as well.

I feel the names are perfectly fine, but I certainly think game designers should not give races that represent real minorities a subhuman amount of brains.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You guys forgot to talk about the industry again.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

You guys forgot to talk about the industry again.

The industry's INT is at the left side of the Dunning-Kruger graph.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

homullus posted:

The industry's INT is at the left side of the Dunning-Kruger graph.
Ah, lawful good or only lawful neutral?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I enjoy the division of casters such that some work off of learned knowledge, some work off faith, and some work off force of personality. But that can be boiled down to flavor and a uniform "magic" stat.

Meinberg posted:

The LessWrong folks are definitely huge into this idea of their own in-born superiority and how "conventional" thinking holds them back and they're super gross and sexually abusive about it.
I know about their "rational" troll logic about how you need to give them literally all your money or the benevolent God AI will torture three quintillion copies of you for eternity/odds are you yourself are a copy and the only way out is to show you love the ai. Also the Harry Potter fanfic.

But what sexual abuse did they do so I can properly hate/mock them more?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lord_Hambrose posted:

So yes?

I have always felt INT was book learning while wisdom is non book learning and charisma was social skills.

ohh this is real dumb imo the distinction of "book learning" to other kinds Is classist as gently caress. and also makes no real sense wisdom is literally the accumulation of knowledge over time

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remember BECMI describing intelligence as being able to realise that it's raining, and wisdom as knowing to get the gently caress inside before you catch a cold.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Elfgames posted:

ohh this is real dumb imo the distinction of "book learning" to other kinds Is classist as gently caress. and also makes no real sense wisdom is literally the accumulation of knowledge over time

But isn't it literally what the stat is trying to represent in d&d? Same thing with what wisdom is trying to represent, learning from less formal instruction.

The labels might be upsetting to you, but in the context of the game that is what they are.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

We still have a Gygax quote in the thread explicitly saying 'Intelligence is IQ' and its clearly supposed to be innate because it's an attribute, not a skill.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I enjoy the division of casters such that some work off of learned knowledge, some work off faith, and some work off force of personality. But that can be boiled down to flavor and a uniform "magic" stat.

You can still do this mechanically by having a " Magic" stat, then giving wizards automatic Magical Theory training, Clerics Theology training, and Sorcerers Streetwise or something. Hell, give unique bonuses to those classes in those skills to represent their more extensive background with those particular subjects.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

FMguru posted:

Pendragon has no INT stat.

In fact, it has 20 different stats for determining the particular way you're going to be stupid!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

moths posted:

It's hard to argue that the representation of intelligence is not problem or not tied to mental capabilities when Gully Dwarves exist and are a thing. Their mental disabilities (which are played for a joke) are tied directly to their Intelligence score. (Source: http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/d/dwargull.html) You can even look at 3e racial templates for Gully Dwarves and they receive a whopping -4 to Intelligence to represent this.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

But isn't it literally what the stat is trying to represent in d&d? Same thing with what wisdom is trying to represent, learning from less formal instruction.

The labels might be upsetting to you, but in the context of the game that is what they are.

I wish people would stop thinking that it's the labels themselves that're the problem. They aren't, and swapping them won't change it. The problem is that the way we talk about 'intelligence' is fundamentally flawed in many instances, especially when talking about poo poo like IQ. Turns out that we know a lot of these ways are really bad and usually racist because they were pioneered by people with lots of racism and an urge to justify it!

So it's not enough to just go, "Oh, okay, we'll call the Racial Superiority stat something else on the surface, we cool now?" Instead we should probably be going, "Man, how do we reflect the thing we wanna do without also just repeating racist screeds only divorced of some of the context that'd help us realize they're bad?"

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Kurieg posted:

But what sexual abuse did they do so I can properly hate/mock them more?

I can't seem to find the receipts online, but that's probably because they've recently become very litigious. But essentially, one of their victims committed suicide about a year ago and her suicide note included some very serious reports of sexual violence against her, behavior which I've seen corroborated privately by a friend of mine who has gone silent on the subject because of targeted harassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bieeanshee posted:

I remember BECMI describing intelligence as being able to realise that it's raining, and wisdom as knowing to get the gently caress inside before you catch a cold.

Yeah, all the old sources tend to treat Int as the trivia stat and wisdom as the folksy know-how stat. You see poo poo like:

Intelligence: A tomato is technically a fruit
Wisdom: Don't put a tomato in a fruit salad
Charisma: I could sell fruit salad with a tomato in it