Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sephyr posted:

...character motivations don't work in "Well, it wouldn't fit with the story" ways. As far as he's concerned, AfO is going to rule the underworld forever, or as close to that as he can make it. Being able to unmake and remake things and people would be a -tremendous- asset to that goal.

Hell, didn't he steal a far more useless Quirk from one of the kitten-themed heroes?

I wonder why the man with no eyes thought the quirk that let's you see where a hundred things are was worth stealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Overhaul is a young dude and seems to have it well in hand.

Well, he used to, at least.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Leviabeetus posted:

Well, he used to, at least.

Hah!

My hat is off to you, good sir-or-madam.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Nephthys posted:

I'd be fine if we never learn anything more tbh. Like if he was just a professional criminal and this is just his job, which he takes pride in, I'd respect that.

I mean, there are hints from his costumes and mannerisms that he used to be a street/stage magician who used his quirk for sleight of hand tricks.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I liked Curious's design continuing the trend of well designed older lady characters, I hope she's not dead. :(

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Junpei posted:

I mean, there are hints from his costumes and mannerisms that he used to be a street/stage magician who used his quirk for sleight of hand tricks.

I wonder how impressive a street magician really is in an age of super powers?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I wonder how impressive a street magician really is in an age of super powers?

I assume still pretty impressive. It involves (assuming you're not cheating with a quirk) slight of hand and misdirection and that doesn't become less impressive just because a dude can fly. If the answer is "it's a Quirk" then yeah it isn't very fun but someone doing that kind of stuff without a Quirk will still have the same "how the gently caress did they do that?" thing modern magicians do.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The tricks themselves are like 20% of being a magician.

The lions share of the talent is charisma and misdirecting people and putting on a good show.

Like if you're watching a magic show you know it's a trick from the start, the parts that make it fun are their bits and personality and their ability to draw you in enough to stop thinking about the fact this you know it's a trick.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sephyr posted:

...character motivations don't work in "Well, it wouldn't fit with the story" ways. As far as he's concerned, AfO is going to rule the underworld forever, or as close to that as he can make it. Being able to unmake and remake things and people would be a -tremendous- asset to that goal.

Hell, didn't he steal a far more useless Quirk from one of the kitten-themed heroes?

I think my point was more that if he grabbed a quirk that never saw use in the story even if it would be in character it would seem like sloppy writing in the future. Objectively, sure, why wouldn't you grab it and hold on to it if you could?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The lions share of the talent is charisma and misdirecting people and putting on a good show.

Compress has the misdirection part down-see his "I switched the balls with Bakugou and Tokoyami in them with balls of random Shouto ice" trick.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

239 official: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-239/chapter/18740?action=read

Trivia thread: https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1163197364451938304

I actually didn't draw the comparison between Tomura and Nana until he pointed it out.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Like if you're watching a magic show you know it's a trick from the start, the parts that make it fun are their bits and personality and their ability to draw you in enough to stop thinking about the fact this you know it's a trick.

Yeah, Penn and Teller are masters at this and you can tell even when they explain the trick.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like look at this trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w1vMWsB3wc

This is a trick they have performed a variation of, that they know in intimate detail, being performed in front of them with incredibly moderate changes. And look at the sheer childlike glee on their faces. Because God drat is that a showman, putting on a hell of a show. Even if someone walked up to you and told you exactly how a trick is performed, it doesn't mean it won't impact you to see it done.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers are showing up.

Scooby and the Gang are patched up and eating sushi with the ReDestro crew
Toga is (temporarily) a pirate
The league is now the Meta Liberation Battlefront- they merged
Hawks is present and is unnerved at all these developments
He apparently finally got his ticket up showing them Jeanists corpse stuffed in a bag

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All shall quake in fear at Major League Baseball.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's the time line like at this point? Was this fight and the upcoming chapter a few weeks/month before "present time" or are we all up to the current point of December?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fabricated posted:

Spoilers are showing up.

Scooby and the Gang are patched up and eating sushi with the ReDestro crew
Toga is (temporarily) a pirate
The league is now the Meta Liberation Battlefront- they merged
Hawks is present and is unnerved at all these developments
He apparently finally got his ticket up showing them Jeanists corpse stuffed in a bag

There's gotta be some sort of trick with Best Jeanist's "body", or he was dying anyway and agreed to it or something.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Hey nice this is like my favorite possible outcome!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Glad the good guys finally got a lead.

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
I love everything about these spoilers

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Interesting twist that probably debunks a popular theory:

That's Geten/Apocrypha.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Please geten May I get your number I also believe might makes right now

Popo turned out to be nana!!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Interesting twist that probably debunks a popular theory:

That's Geten/Apocrypha.

wonder if she's related to Todoroki's mom

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Doubtful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Jam version of chapter.
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/240/page/1

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm worried this isn't gonna end well for Hawks. Dabi's that close of a friend to the rest of the group so they might not trust his decision to vouch for Hawks here.

Also :laffo: at Spinner helping come up with this new name. He's such a dork.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You gotta feel for Shigaraki. All his pals are having a sushi party and he's stuck on stage being paraded around in front of a bunch of gullible cultists while wearing fancy clothes he probably hates. Was it all worth it??

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dabi is basically low-key a completely useless fuckup who hasn't really accomplished much. I'd say Spinner has been more useful overall because he hasn't brought the cops to the party accidentally.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Punished Toga is the best.
Also they instantly made Ice dude more interesting by Not making him an ice dude. Looks like a Todoroki, what's all that about?

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 23, 2019

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mulderman posted:

Punished Toga is the best.
Also they instantly made Ice dude more interesting by Not making him an ice dude. Looks like a Todoroki, what's all that about?

I mean, if you want to consider family connections, Shoto's mom had ice powers and she presumably has family relations of her own, that could easily be a sister or cousin or niece or who knows. Or just someone entirely unrelated who has ice powers, since elemental powers seem like they'd be pretty common.

Might be interesting if they're part of Rei's family though, just because we don't know much about them, but if they abided what happened with Rei and Endeavour then they could have something going on with them too.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

A sister seems like an interesting idea. Maybe seeing how her sister got taken away by Endeavor, sparked her hatred against the current status quo and that is what made her join up with Redestro's group.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RIP Toga, you will be missed. I'm glad Toga is okay though.

Also, I was totally right about them covering up the League's involvement in the attack on the city.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Twice's knee slide though

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Fabricated posted:

Dabi is basically low-key a completely useless fuckup who hasn't really accomplished much. I'd say Spinner has been more useful overall because he hasn't brought the cops to the party accidentally.

He really is. His whole "I could've taken Geten out" in the last chapter and him getting on Mr. Compress' case about not doing anything in this chapter made me go "Yeah, suuuuure, buddy :rolleyes:.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

amigolupus posted:

He really is. His whole "I could've taken Geten out" in the last chapter and him getting on Mr. Compress' case about not doing anything in this chapter made me go "Yeah, suuuuure, buddy :rolleyes:.

I mean, he's not wrong about that last part. Compress kind of did nothing for the whole battle. At least Dabi fought the one with a powerful ice quirk to a standstill.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

Twice's knee slide though

The different way the League and the MLA present themselves in that scene is very good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like a large point of all of this is to make it easier to justify Hawks joining them, because clearly the underground army thing is a little more mainstream.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I liked it better when I thought they were going to be the MLB.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They released a new key visual for season 4 and it just looks so silly:

My
R
EMIA

Also :lol: that Momo, Bakugou, and Todoroki are all featured in this when they're barely going to show up this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bakugou and Todoroki have the supplementary classes at least.

That happens at the end of the overhaul arc, right?