Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One of the mods in Life in the Woods adds submerged ruins and wrecked ships full of loot and unique blocks you can't find anywhere else. It was fantastic.

Another thing that was fantastic: one of my favorite world generators, the Primordial Desert Generator. Unfortunately it was an external program that had to be run and you had to punch in a map size you wanted, you couldn't have it on the fly generate worlds for you, but it made a virtually endless desert(for the size of the map you generated) that had oases, mountain ranges, volcanos full of ore, and the caverns were MASSIVE. I'm talking so big the tunnels would often extend past where you could see the chunks generate so at the end of the tunnel you might see the moon or sun because the chunks stopped loading before the tunnel ended. And as well as those, there were seemingly endless dungeons made of brick that had huge loot rooms, and tons of booby traps. Like, disguised trip plates in the hallways that if stepped on would set off 40 blocks of TNT and send you plummeting down a 50-block-high hole in the ground to the bedrock at the bottom. Here's some screenshots from it from eight years ago. I wish there was more stuff like it or the person had updated it more, it was my favorite thing ever but also one of the oldest mods. They also made a generator that made spherical "planets" that were sorta biodomes and each one had miniature biomes in them. Some were made of glowstone. It was interesting. Oh, and falling off either meant falling into the void and dying or into the ocean and having to nerdpole your way out.

a dark screenshot of one of the cave tunnels, tubes like a giant worm made them. and some shots of the tunnels proper with ore everywhere, huge deposits of a hundred or more ore were scattered throughout the tunnels, and hoo boy it was a trial to get to them because ALL THE ENEMIES SPAWNED IN THESE TUNNELS(or the dungeons) during the day, since there's zero shade to spawn in on the surface.

The surface looked like this for the most part, endless wavy dunes, occasional mountain ridges, massive decapitated cones that were either volcanoes or empty and full of ore/entrances to dungeons, and rare pyramids(with either loot or dungeon entrances)

Dirt was an actual rare, valuable resource, as the only place it spawned is in oases, which were very uncommon. So if you wanted crops to stave off hunger, you had to find an oasis first, and you had better hope you find one before nightfall because all those underground mobs go to the surface at night.

All of the coal spawned in volcanoes, you had to clear out the lava a bit to get to it or risk getting burned. All the volcanoes were usually vertical tubes so you could just fill them with sand or gravel and clear out all the lava.

snowfall kinda hosed up the desert aesthetic though.

using trees grown with bonemeal was useful for breadcrumb trails.

I made a small paradise with a Biocube at the first oasis I found and made it my home base. With a desert of like 2000 chunks(which took about 3 days nonstop to generate), I had to make sure I didn't lose the location because that desert was BIG.

I don't have any shots of the dungeon tunnels and stuff, but they had things like creeper spawners in the ceilings, chicken spawners that would eventually wander onto a TNT switch and blow a massive gash in the landscape making certain dungeon passages just a big ol' hole, occasional large rooms full of treasure or glowstone chandeliers, and other stuff. It was really awesome, and I would pay 60 dollars for a full minecraft integration of that worldgen but on the fly like minecraft's normal worldgen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh hey, he apparently updated some of it a few years ago, which is neat. also added some new worldgen types like...Woolpocalypse. Oh my.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I recently just tried the throw together mods I like in my own pack with the twitch client thing and it’s working out so far. Loading is a lot faster when you cut out the 90% of mods that you aren’t using anyway. I figure as long as it doesn’t need resources from world gen, I can add and remove as I please. I do still like having some quests though, even as just something of a checklist to build up to the final stages of a mod. Is there somewhere someone has put together something like a standalone FTB folder for various mods like AE2 or Forestry or a good pack to copy them from?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

BlondRobin posted:

After DD&SS spawned a literal creeper in my fully lit, locked storeroom next to my chests

this kind of chicanery is why i always turn mobgriefing off

i don't have that kind of time

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just need a simple power mod that isn’t more complicated than using a furnace and lets me charge gadgets like Scannable.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I just need a simple power mod that isn’t more complicated than using a furnace and lets me charge gadgets like Scannable.

Actually additions has a coal generator and a charger that shouldn’t be all that complicated.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Actually Additions is a lot more than just power.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Anyone know why modded mc won't launch through multimc on fedora? I have the Java it came with and it just... doesn't launch with no error message. It does say something about a .so file being improperly signed, but that message has been there on successful launches too I think and that's a warn that makes it sound optional. On windows that was often due to openjdk, but this is with packs that work with openjdk on windows.

Vanilla MC launches fine through it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

[edit] Nevermind, it's still making GBS threads itself

fondue fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 20, 2019

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

VideoGames posted:

Thanks to Mehall and many hours of constant searching/mining I have finally begun construction on my new underground lair :D

what are those unique storage units? is that a mod that you can get wholesale just to have easy to sort through chests wherever?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Futaba Anzu posted:

what are those unique storage units? is that a mod that you can get wholesale just to have easy to sort through chests wherever?

I think it is a combination of several mods and I just like using random bits.

The nearest left are diamond and gold chest from Iron Chests mod (I believe).

Behind them are drawers from the mod Storage Drawers.

To the right I am using Storage Cache for my powders and diamontes and that is thermal expansion. :D

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
has anyone made a mod for creepers of the bombs-for-hands screaming guy from serious sam where when a creeper aggroes it starts screaming and gets louder as it gets closer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwC-XMkTuro

I know that's not the point of creepers but it's not like they're a threat anymore anyways

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So I have been playing vanilla minecraft again after many years of putting it down and starting to get into mod packs to try but I always have the same problem no matter which one I choose, The game seems to lag as if I have 999 ping despite playing in single player and vanilla never having this issue, is there a way to fix this at all?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Stevefin posted:

So I have been playing vanilla minecraft again after many years of putting it down and starting to get into mod packs to try but I always have the same problem no matter which one I choose, The game seems to lag as if I have 999 ping despite playing in single player and vanilla never having this issue, is there a way to fix this at all?

do you give the modded packs enough ram?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I have allocated about 8 gigs which seems to be plantey as it never reaches it when looking into it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Played a little more vanilla 1.14 today, and yeah, I do see how caving can be boring and unrewarding. There's a really, really long timespan between getting iron and getting gold/diamonds, during which you're mostly just walking down dark corridors, freaking out over enemies, and mining all the iron you can find. Plus, gold is really useless. Actually getting to Y<=12 is basically RNG, cause you have to hope that the cave path you find actually goes down that far, or you have to do a bunch of backtracking. Then diamonds are relatively rare, and if your cave system stops at Y=12, you still have to dig a bunch, which defeats the entire point of caving. And god help you if you find a ravine, cause you're stuck there without any decent movement options. Which the game also doesn't provide.

That said, the alternative is branch mining, which is even more boring since Minecraft provides absolutely no mining options except for 1x1. I really missed Ore Excavation, I just can't go back from that.

Caving could be a lot more fun if the caves actually had stuff besides enemies and ore, and if the benefits of caving were less backloaded to Y<=12.

EDIT: It now occurs to me that the one and only reason to go caving is to get ores. I think I understand why there are so many mods centered around alternative resource generation now.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 21, 2019

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Stevefin posted:

I have allocated about 8 gigs which seems to be plantey as it never reaches it when looking into it

Have you tried turning down your graphics? Reduce viewing distance?
Theres also various command line tweaks, but I forget what they are.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

Have you tried turning down your graphics? Reduce viewing distance?
Theres also various command line tweaks, but I forget what they are.

Yeah I did start tyring that it and it seems like mipmap is the culpret, even just turning it down will make whatever thing I am hitting disapear right away and not do laps around waiting

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stevefin posted:

Yeah I did start tyring that it and it seems like mipmap is the culpret, even just turning it down will make whatever thing I am hitting disapear right away and not do laps around waiting

Post your specs.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Quick specs are Ryzen 2600, 16 gig 3200 mem and raedon 480

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Stevefin posted:

I have also had this problem in the past (but not lately despite not changing versions or hardware? I also think most of the time minecraft now boots with mipmaps off already when I run it tho); for whatever reason the mipmap rendering can under arcane circumstances make minecraft lag horribly. If that solved it you should have no other problems when it's off, or I haven't. FWIW I also run an AMD graphics card, so it may be related to that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Stevefin posted:

Always disable mipmapping in modded minecraft. There's some sort of bug that makes it consume all available resources forever, poop on your carpet, leave the milk carton out on your porch, and tilt all the paintings in your house an imperceptible amount, which you can't see but your subconscious can detect, giving you that anxious feeling every time you walk by. I don't really know what the exact problem is, but it should help.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
Is there a way to play a skyblock modpack on a regular world if it'll only let you pick the premade skyblock world when you create a new world? A way to turn that off in the configs somewhere? (I like modpacks with quest books, but I don't like skyblocks.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

oh hey, he apparently updated some of it a few years ago, which is neat. also added some new worldgen types like...Woolpocalypse. Oh my.

screenshot needs the minecraft hand with flint and steel equipped imo :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm setting up a low-stakes, casual fun server for a few friends who lean away from anything with resource sinks and high demands. So I'm mostly looking for stuff that's Vanilla+, and I've got a bunch of quality of life improvements, but I also think more involved diversions can be fun if they're not too grindy or require too much infrastructure.

So stuff like Thermal Expansion, EnderIO, and so on are out, but Astral Sorcery might be on the border of acceptable because it's got a high payout compared to say, how much infrastructure you need in Thaumcraft to get things kicking.
The Betweenlands is probably a good example of a lot of fun new content you can unlock without grinding. Anyone have any suggestions for other such content?

Are there any really fleshed out biome mods these days? I know there are a bunch that add new wood types but ideally I'd want one that could make custom chests, doors, etc. from those too, and not just as building materials. Basically anything to flesh out the world without having to scrape up a tech tree is something I'd have my eye on.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I'm setting up a low-stakes, casual fun server for a few friends who lean away from anything with resource sinks and high demands. So I'm mostly looking for stuff that's Vanilla+, and I've got a bunch of quality of life improvements, but I also think more involved diversions can be fun if they're not too grindy or require too much infrastructure.

So stuff like Thermal Expansion, EnderIO, and so on are out, but Astral Sorcery might be on the border of acceptable because it's got a high payout compared to say, how much infrastructure you need in Thaumcraft to get things kicking.
The Betweenlands is probably a good example of a lot of fun new content you can unlock without grinding. Anyone have any suggestions for other such content?

Are there any really fleshed out biome mods these days? I know there are a bunch that add new wood types but ideally I'd want one that could make custom chests, doors, etc. from those too, and not just as building materials. Basically anything to flesh out the world without having to scrape up a tech tree is something I'd have my eye on.

This isn't really what you're asking for, but if you're looking for "Vanilla+," Quark is something you want. It does add some worldgen, but nothing so sweeping as new biomes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This isn't really what you're asking for, but if you're looking for "Vanilla+," Quark is something you want. It does add some worldgen, but nothing so sweeping as new biomes.
Yeah, Quark is the backbone of this pack. Honestly it's the main reason I'm waiting for Forge to update before I play 14.4. Just too convenient.

This is an odd thought, but a fun mod (not just for this pack, but to exist, in general) would be something like a very low-tech/low cost version of things like the bedrock laser ore drill, Environmental Tech, etc. Just a kind of fortune block that costs a bit to make, but then pops out a small amount of resources every now and then. Nothing incredible, but just a little free stuff from time to time to feel like you've earned some resource replenishment without having to climb a massive tech tree/resource sink first.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 22, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vib Rib posted:

I know you're aware of it, but have you considered showing them life in the woods? It's multiplayer capable right? It's got very very little stuff that is heavy investment and mostly focuses on improving basic world design and generation with tons of new biomes, entirely reworking the nether, etc

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Stevefin posted:

Quick specs are Ryzen 2600, 16 gig 3200 mem and raedon 480

I had some random stuttering in Minecraft every couple of seconds until I updated my motherboard's BIOS to the latest version when I first got my Ryzen 2600, might be worth a shot. Otherwise check java versions and incompatibilities with certain versions of Minecraft and your video card, I had an issue once in 1.7.10 with a specific version of Java and specific NVIDIA driver version that was resolved by reverting to an older version of Java until NVIDIA fixed the bug in their driver.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Captain Invictus posted:

I know you're aware of it, but have you considered showing them life in the woods? It's multiplayer capable right? It's got very very little stuff that is heavy investment and mostly focuses on improving basic world design and generation with tons of new biomes, entirely reworking the nether, etc
I'd probably want a more personalized pack, but probably a good point of reference. Isn't it for 1.8 though?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I get that this might defeat the entire point of playing Minecraft, but oh man is it boring as gently caress to make a house of the kind you'd see online and in videos. I mean like, the nice ones. It involves a lot of manual labor when you have to place the blocks piece by piece, and wands really only help with houses once you get diamonds. It's a complete slog early-game to build a large, well-constructed house otherwise. And don't get me started on the roof.

Now, I could just use Prefab, but I want to make it dead simple to build my house, so that all I have to worry about is making sure it looks good. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to do this. Maybe like a blueprint or something that you can design, then put down? Building a house from modular components or something?

Any mods out there that could make building structures like a house braindead-easy?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pollyanna posted:

Any mods out there that could make building structures like a house braindead-easy?
Effortless Building.
Available from the second you start a new game (but still upgradeable as you progress), requires no special tools, has built in options for tiling, mirroring, radial building, etc. Also mass-places walls/roofs/floors, does diagonal slopes no problem, super easy to use.

Seriously just take a peek at the videos, you'll be sold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmYSV4z1UbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GfNKw3bGhg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLg5JwdZJc4

And here's another one specifically showcasing roofs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLwh-SA8gOQ

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vib Rib posted:

Effortless Building.
Available from the second you start a new game (but still upgradeable as you progress), requires no special tools, has built in options for tiling, mirroring, radial building, etc. Also mass-places walls/roofs/floors, does diagonal slopes no problem, super easy to use.

WHAT DA gently caress

Okay, this is immediately going into my pack. Thank you so much!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Effortless Building.

What the heck why is this not in all modpacks????

Heck, i barely even get to use wands because they love gating them behind poo poo. I might just manually add this to future modpacks.

I'm still looking for a new modpack to play though, I'm moderately concerned D&D&S might be 'too much'.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vib Rib posted:

I'd probably want a more personalized pack, but probably a good point of reference. Isn't it for 1.8 though?
It's definitely for older versions of java minecraft, 1.7 iirc(the last update to LITWR was in 2017), so it won't have newer base game stuff, but there is a FUCKTON of stuff included in LITWR.

-a huge amount of food stuff to make
-beekeeping
-bamboo that grows quickly automatically which let's you make blocks out of the bamboo shoots
-the nether is far far more interesting and varied with actual biomes in it
-different ways to acquire bone meal and other enemy drops without killing them so you can play peaceful mode and not miss out on gunpowder etc
- you can craft backpacks that take up one slot in your inventory but hold a small chest's worth of stuff (and the Too Many Items interface lets you get Big Backpacks which are two large chests worth each)
-a massive amount of biome-specific plant life as well as 80ish new biomes
-a composting system that lets you turn excess organic stuff into compost (charcoal/fertilizer i.e. bonemeal)
-oceans are full of coral and fish (sharks, angler fish, whales and manta rays)
-there's a great shader pack included
-launcher does all the legwork of installing the mods, totally brainless to get started

Easily my favorite of any mod pack I've tried. Get Nether Ores as well and you'll be able to get plenty of useful resources while digging through nether rack as well as actual ore blocks to place (each nether ore turns into 2 Ore Blocks, normally only acquirable via silk touch tools)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I can't find any mods that do this, so if anyone knows of one lemme know:
1. Zombies don't attack villagers.
2. Items don't burn in lava/fire.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I can't find any mods that do this, so if anyone knows of one lemme know:
1. Zombies don't attack villagers.
2. Items don't burn in lava/fire.

There's something in Volcano Block that does 2, but maybe only for specific items.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Anyone recommend a modpack where you start with a base?

Ideally I'd like a fun quest based pack where I have a starting area already built for me.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
You technically do in the Material Energy series. And Forever Stranded/Forever Stranded: Lost Souls.

Also after a bout of ADHD I decided that it might be better to wait until modding picks up in 1.14 to make my Regrowth-a-like pack because I really want those water mechanics. :sigh: I want there to be underwater exploration because of the story of the pack but underwater sucks pre-1.13.

xanthan posted:

Craft of the Titans 2 starts you off in a gas station I think.

Only for long enough for you to leave the dimension though.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Anyone recommend a modpack where you start with a base?

Ideally I'd like a fun quest based pack where I have a starting area already built for me.

Define base. Do you mean any building you start in with a base? Just an enclosed space that's lit up do you don't need to worry about mobs spawning in it?

Any pack with Prefab or Minecraft Comes Alive will provide you with a house at least, Craft of the Titans 2 starts you off in a gas station I think.

Could also plop Schematica or Prefab into a pack. Schematica could be used to build a small base quickly if you have a schematic file for it while prefab is just items that make buildings and you start with a basic house.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 25, 2019