Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Awful call against Riewoldt

Toby Greene has ruined football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also the way it is framed as "helping to secure the future of the club". I guess Gold Coast will be OK, once all their players start loving and having sons. That's what the club needs.

On a similar note: They have made a Father-Daughter rule to keep up with the Father-Son rule. Have they made a Mother-Daughter/Mother-Son rule yet? I know it won't be applicable for at least 15-20 years, but who isn't looking forward to seeing Erin Phillips's, and Daisy Pearce's kids running around against each other.

No they haven't yet. I'm sure there's a lot of lovely reasons behind it, but one legitimate reason is going to be figuring out the games played threshold considering how short the seasons are.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

NTRabbit posted:

Erin Phillips now has 2 boys and a girl, just fyi

I still hate the father/son rule even if it might benefit my club of choice!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Also the way it is framed as "helping to secure the future of the club". I guess Gold Coast will be OK, once all their players start loving and having sons. That's what the club needs.

On a similar note: They have made a Father-Daughter rule to keep up with the Father-Son rule. Have they made a Mother-Daughter/Mother-Son rule yet? I know it won't be applicable for at least 15-20 years, but who isn't looking forward to seeing Erin Phillips's, and Daisy Pearce's kids running around against each other.

NTRabbit posted:

No they haven't yet. I'm sure there's a lot of lovely reasons behind it, but one legitimate reason is going to be figuring out the games played threshold considering how short the seasons are.

Not yet, games threshold being a big issue with the seasons so short but also things like adoption. Not that it is a huge issue and I doubt it would ever arise, but they'll take some time and figure it out later.

In better news:

https://twitter.com/EFCFinals/status/1162929623996481536

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
We must secure the existence of our club and a future for purple guernseys

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

drunkill posted:

Not yet, games threshold being a big issue with the seasons so short but also things like adoption. Not that it is a huge issue and I doubt it would ever arise, but they'll take some time and figure it out later.

Is that a thing in the Father-Son rule? Are adopted kids treated differently to biological ones? That is awful. And if they care about biological parents, what are the rules with illegitimate kids?

Could a club get a DNA test and try to say "We want to claim this kid as a father-son, coz we reckon that a former player is his dad coz he had a one night stand with the kids mum 20 years ago."?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Simpler to scrap the rule forever imo

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
AFAIK it isn't, but with many of the AFLW players being gay and not having given birth themselves (like erin phillips) who knows what rules lawyering will come into it.

I don't think it should be an issue, but in some wacky reality would a club ask a former aflw player who qualifies for mother-son rules to adopt a 16 year old orphan boy who is a gun footy player they want to take?

I think this is why they're waiting, wait for an actual test case which is still a decade away from happening before they settle the rules.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Is that a thing in the Father-Son rule? Are adopted kids treated differently to biological ones? That is awful. And if they care about biological parents, what are the rules with illegitimate kids?

Could a club get a DNA test and try to say "We want to claim this kid as a father-son, coz we reckon that a former player is his dad coz he had a one night stand with the kids mum 20 years ago."?

Yes they are. By current rules a biological child you didn't know existed until his draft year is automatically eligible, but adopted children have to make a submission to the AFL and are assessed on a case by case basis.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Because of course the AFL chooses the bad way to handle something

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The good way would be to scrap the rule

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Chairchucker posted:

Yeah I reckon there's probably enough legacy pressure that it doesn't need to be an actual rule

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
The finals are gonna be siiiiiiick.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Huh, looks like the Bulldogs want a piece of this top 8.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
this loving game

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If bulldogs don’t make it can they just have essendons spot anyway to get a good elimination final going?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Dogs are currently killing Hawthorn's slim finals chances.

edit: Nah, looking again, it doesn't matter if the dogs win today, (hopefully by only a little), so long as Hawthorn win by heaps today and next week, and Adelaide beat the Dogs, (also by a little). Also Port Adelaide lose to Freo. Which should be easy as piss.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 18, 2019

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nah Adelaide will lose to the dogs for sure

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

realbez posted:

Nah Adelaide will lose to the dogs for sure

We'll never get Fourthorn with that kind of negative attitude young man. :colbert:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

We'll never get Fourthorn with that kind of negative attitude young man. :colbert:

Next year, friend.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I've gotten really mad every time I look at our early season form and the games against Carlton & the Suns that we dropped along with the ones where they started awfully and just barely lost. We'd be a genuine threat in the finals if it wasn't for those stupid ones that we dropped.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Crows wont beat the dogs at ballarat and hawks wont win next week.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Roughy 😍

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

Crows wont beat the dogs at ballarat and hawks wont win next week.

The AFC board of directors have entered Iraqi Information minister in Baghdad territory, I'm not sure what's going to happen when we lose

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
What a magnificent man. So glad I could be at that game.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
That was a lot of fun. If it's his last game he's finished two goals behind Buddy for all time goals for Hawthorn.

Testro
May 2, 2009

realbez posted:

Roughy 😍

What a send off for the big fella.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Chairchucker posted:

Only people crying about this rule are teams who get poo poo sons from their famous fathers :smug:

Next year I am going to tip against Melbourne in every match. I don't care if they pull off some Brisbane like revival

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

loving 2/9 how am i so bad at tipping

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

Only people crying about this rule are teams who get poo poo sons from their famous fathers :smug:

Next year I am going to tip against Melbourne in every match. I don't care if they pull off some Brisbane like revival

Welcome to the club

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NPR Journalizard posted:

I doubt many people expected Freo & Port to not even fire a shot or for the Giants to give up after half-time.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

NPR Journalizard posted:

I got 3 :smith:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also two genuine 50/50 games between the top 4, really the only certs were Hawthorn and Collingwood

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I did well to get 4 by not tipping

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Somehow I was the only person to get above 6 this round, Essendon and Port tripped me up so the sacrifice to Pazuzu on Friday morning worked it seemed!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I got 7, gently caress you GWS and Freo

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I got 5, don't think I'm going to be able to make up 3 on Apolis before the end of the season

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You Am I posted:

I just think that rules designed to favour some clubs over others are bad.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Apolis on 127
Whoever "Clive Waterhouse" is on 125

Third is back on 122

So they're the only two who can reasonably win it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Reminds me of this story a few months ago on Greg Phillips

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/afl/sanfl-legend-greg-phillips-says-he-would-not-trade-his-daughters-for-the-world/ar-BBVyxYc

quote:

Greg played 343 games for the Magpies in the South Australian National Football League (SANFL) — including eight premierships — and another 84 games for Collingwood in the Victorian Football League.

He had three daughters but no sons.

"Many, many times people used to say to me 'which one of them did you want me to trade in?'" he told ABC News.

"Everyone loved Port Adelaide and they wanted players to have sons.

"I used to cop that a lot, but I wouldn't trade them for the world."