Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Mordiceius posted:

I think the Golden Deer perspective can make more sense than the Blue Lion perspective. For Golden Deer, it could make at least some sense that the Kingdom attacks you because at this point, Dimitri basically is a crazy person. But when going from Blue Lion, it makes zero sense, because Claude, despite being a bit of a joker, has always been the most rational of the three of them.

The only problem from the Golden Deer perspective is that Dimitri is believed to be dead right up until this very point, so it's not like the route has any time to establish him beforehand as a crazy person. He just suddenly is.

And that map was totally meant to have fog. I mean, the cutscene right before has them make a big deal about it. But as you say, fog maps also suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

And that map was totally meant to have fog. I mean, the cutscene right before has them make a big deal about it. But as you say, fog maps also suck.

Fog maps suck in Fire Emblem because of the way Fire Emblem handles Fog of War. See: the Marianne paralogue.

Since Fire Emblem doesn't disperse fog until you end your turn, you can't move into fog and attack what is there. So what results is you run into fog, get stopped because you're standing next to an enemy and then just sit there while they hit you.

I don't know how to solve this. They clearly do this so you can't just freely scout out areas, but it also loving sucks. FE just shouldn't ever try to do fog of war at all. It doesn't handle it well.

If they want to make "surprise" fights, just make it so that if someone is hiding in bushes, they're 100% invisible unless you're right next to them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fog maps are ok if you have everyone with a Torch, changes how they play a bit

But then also why would you give everyone a torch for like the 3 fog maps

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I just got to the Flame Emperor fight in Blue Lions and wow Dimitri just loses all of his poo poo right there, huh

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/bylethclaude/status/1163154443887505408

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

gently caress, of all the pointless vestigial systems in this game, I really wish they'd do away with weapon degradation. So much pointless clicking.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

gently caress, of all the pointless vestigial systems in this game, I really wish they'd do away with weapon degradation. So much pointless clicking.

Didn't they get rid of it in Fates and then some were just absolutely broken
They actually did the opposite with Magic where it was limited use in Fates and unlimited here (but limited uses per battle). I was wondering why stuff like Warp felt so much more broken in this

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fates ended up giving all the weapons a bunch of fiddly little modifiers that were a pain to keep track of. Three Houses instead uses the weight system as a much more consistent way to express the tradeoffs between different weapons.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

They could have gotten rid of it for training/iron/steel weapons and kept it for the rest

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

For anything that can be repaired with easily acquired materials (smithing stones), managing weapon durability is just a chore. I'm never going to run out of money to repair my Iron/Silver/Steel weapons, ever, so the only time durability ends up mattering for those weapons is when I get ambushed by it in the middle of a mission because I neglected to trudge through the annoying chore of going into menus and checking everyone's weapons.

It's much more of a relevant thing for weapons that require Wootz Steel or Mithril, but then again you can go an entire playthrough without ever repairing those and still handily beat the game, so :shrug:

They even doubled down on durability by making combat arts use it as payment, but combat arts fall off in effectiveness so quickly as it is, and it's not like you're ever going to use expensive weapons with 20 durability to do your -5 arts anyway.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I pop in and say that Dedue and Ashe have a really heartwarming and sad A support. I really like it...

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Eh you can buy and once you get the extra 2 shops, easily repair/forge killing weapons.
Which is all I really care about anyways.

They could have done more with it though. Maybe add another option to the calendar called weapon maintenance, which has your units restore their weapons. It could also raise the weapon rank.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I hate how cumbersome inventory management is. Especially with battalions. There are too many menus that don't connect to each other.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I hate how cumbersome inventory management is. Especially with battalions. There are too many menus that don't connect to each other.

Yeah, the inventory is a bit of a sign of how this isn't the same studio as usual.

Awakening had probably the best inventory management in the series. Auto sort, you could use items from the convoy, and there was a button to refill charges on your gear by combining the half-busted stuff. Here, it's just clunky.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, the inventory is a bit of a sign of how this isn't the same studio as usual.

Awakening had probably the best inventory management in the series. Auto sort, you could use items from the convoy, and there was a button to refill charges on your gear by combining the half-busted stuff. Here, it's just clunky.

I put off updating my gear/abilities/skills as long as possible because I have to go through six different menus to cross reference which abilities people are using with which weapons they're having with which skills they have points in. Every time I'm like "Welp, I guess I should do a full update." I have to sit in inventory/shop menus for an hour to get this worked out.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How do endgame pairings work? I was thinking dear old Raphael would be with Ingrid or smth

Mordiceius posted:

If you could just use stuff directly through the convoy menu, I had so many stat boost items stacked up that when came time to give it to everyone it took me ages

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Honest Thief posted:

How do endgame pairings work? I was thinking dear old Raphael would be with Ingrid or smth

Characters are paired with the A support they have the most support points with

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Dealing out stat boosters in the end is such a pain. It would be better if you could stack them when not in battle.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

Characters are paired with the A support they have the most support points with

Dang, no wonder he turned into a innkeeper and bestest buds with Ignatz

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

lmao, Ingrid's "canon" post-timeskip class is pegasus knight because they didn't bother to make a flying horse for the advanced tier

Shame, it's a cute outfit, but also lol no

also Ashe doesn't even qualify for the sniper class because I put a lot of training into making him into a Bow-wielding Wyvern Rider

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

For new game plus, are you able to buy skills from classes you previously mastered right off the bat?

e:

Blaziken386 posted:

lmao, Ingrid's "canon" post-timeskip class is pegasus knight because they didn't bother to make a flying horse for the advanced tier

Shame, it's a cute outfit, but also lol no

She also has the outfit as a paladin iirc, but lmao if you don’t make her a wyvern rider.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

For anything that can be repaired with easily acquired materials (smithing stones), managing weapon durability is just a chore. I'm never going to run out of money to repair my Iron/Silver/Steel weapons, ever, so the only time durability ends up mattering for those weapons is when I get ambushed by it in the middle of a mission because I neglected to trudge through the annoying chore of going into menus and checking everyone's weapons.

It's much more of a relevant thing for weapons that require Wootz Steel or Mithril, but then again you can go an entire playthrough without ever repairing those and still handily beat the game, so :shrug:

They even doubled down on durability by making combat arts use it as payment, but combat arts fall off in effectiveness so quickly as it is, and it's not like you're ever going to use expensive weapons with 20 durability to do your -5 arts anyway.

Actually if anything the unique weapon arts you get for relic weapons feels like the one time it works. You can kill this enemy RIGHT NOW and get your cavalry past the choke point and get rid of that archer targeting a flyer, but you’re using a huge chunk of your durability for something that is meant to last pretty much the rest of the game so you have to think about it.

I think it’s the kind of thing that would be more obvious if the game was harder

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

For new game plus, are you able to buy skills from classes you previously mastered right off the bat?
She also has the outfit as a paladin iirc, but lmao if you don’t make her a wyvern rider.
Making her into a Wyvern Rider ASAP was... kind of a priority early on

She really needed the strength boost

also, yes, you can buy previously mastered class skills immediately, it's very useful

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Your Computer posted:

what

Caspar is a composed of 80% optimism and 20% yelling, or to put it differently, a shounen protagonist
I know this is from a ways back, but I just saw the Caspar/Hilda A rank. It's probably the most suggestive one, (she's basically propositioning him) but like other shounen protagonists before him, he is denser than lead.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'd like to see a system in FE where weapons don't degrade, but you also can't buy them and they are fairly rare. Everyone would start with their weapon of choice or whatever, but then occasionally you'd get a Silver Sword off a dead dude in a map or something. No weapon shops, no inventory bloat. Everything gets used (ideally). I guess that makes it a bit closer to Shining Force (except you can buy weapons in that).

All I know is my inventory was absolutely full of garbage and repairing is kind of a pain. And you cant even buy smithing stones and such during a battle screen so running out is tedious if you didn't plan your Monastery time better.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

also, yes, you can buy previously mastered class skills immediately, it's very useful

:getin:

Good to know my more oddball masteries like Fiendish Blow and potentially Lifetaker on Felix won’t be wasted.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Blaziken386 posted:

Making her into a Wyvern Rider ASAP was... kind of a priority early on

She really needed the strength boost

my BL ingrid is at level 14 as a fighter and somehow has 15 strength and 13 speed, it's positively bizarre; like i might just make her a pegasus knight after she gets death blow after all

also im the idiot who took a while to realize i could just buy lysithea's vantage back so i don't have to bother giving her sword lessons this time around :v:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly how do you even keep up with the army of wyverns in the late game without investing in a flier with bow skills

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Supremezero posted:

Rather than inevitable I think it's kind of weird. There's a bunch of support related things that change based on your route, why can't they change on pre- or post-timeskip?

They do, actually! In fact, if you go to the support log from the main menu, it'll let you choose which version of the support you want to see. For example, I've only cleared the game once, but if I look at Ingrid and Byleth's B(?) support, I can watch either the pre or post timeskip version, despite only seeing the pre-timeskip version in actual gameplay. I suspect that same menu will let you choose which houses' version to see, too.

Which means that Ignatz painting the rubble is, in fact, the 100% intended and canon version of that support.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hot Take: Ingrid is a butt.
Claude Support: She bitches him out for coughing
Bernadetta Support She literally rips Bernie's door off its hinges and carries her to the training ground. I wish their B support was Ingrid feeling like an absolute poo poo when she learns how Bernie came to come to the school

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ChrisBTY posted:

Bernadetta Support She literally rips Bernie's door off its hinges and carries her to the training ground. I wish their B support was Ingrid feeling like an absolute poo poo when she learns how Bernie came to come to the school

I like when she pwns Sylvain by loudly recalling when he flirted with her grandma when he was a kid

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
somehow by their A+ support claude learns to love ingrid chewing him out on the reg and it even ends in a happy marriage with her doing the same once they've ascended the throne of almyra

don't ask me how

also her brutally dressing down sylvain owned

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly how do you even keep up with the army of wyverns in the late game without investing in a flier with bow skills

Bernie and Shamir can shoot them dead from 100 miles away.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Don't kinkshame Claude.

Also any support where someone's dunking on Sylvain is good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ChrisBTY posted:

Its funny because Caspar has a similar thing with Bernadetta in their supports and the A rank is her rightfully calling him out and him feeling awful/apologizing.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Actually if anything the unique weapon arts you get for relic weapons feels like the one time it works. You can kill this enemy RIGHT NOW and get your cavalry past the choke point and get rid of that archer targeting a flyer, but you’re using a huge chunk of your durability for something that is meant to last pretty much the rest of the game so you have to think about it.

I think it’s the kind of thing that would be more obvious if the game was harder

I dunno, I think the ability to just double everyone kind of sinks combat arts and it's especially so for Byleth and her monster stat growths. It's just not worth it spending 3 (or 5) durability on an attack that ends up being weaker than just hitting twice with your regular.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I dunno, I think the ability to just double everyone kind of sinks combat arts and it's especially so for Byleth and her monster stat growths. It's just not worth it spending 3 (or 5) durability on an attack that ends up being weaker than just hitting twice with your regular.

There are a few that are absurdly powerful to make up for it (Like Edelgard's relic weapon combat art giving her a full turn refresh and letting her move and attack again) or that have utility (like the bow ones that give extra range or the ones that are just movement like shove etc).

Most of the others are wildly undertuned and useless though.

I really hope they ditch combat arts moving forward or make them more just utility stuff. They really don't fit well with how FE combat works.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I’ve got Claude as a bow using lord right now. I’m in chapter 6, and he’s level 17. I’m not sure if it’s RNG or what but he consistently gets 6-8 stat boosts per level.

From many pages ago....

My Claude is level 18 in chapter 7 and I don't have Lord yet, where does it come from? Not that I plan to deviate from archer/sniper, I'm curious what I missed.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I appreciate the effort trying to give you more options in combat and I think it could work, but besides the ones you mentioned they just don't hit the mark. Maybe doubling is just too good. Maybe doubling should be a class feature? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Combat Artes are very useful against enemies stronger than your units. When you can't double or can't hit your foe they're very valuable, but uh that's not a common occurence. You've basically got the Death Knight and other students where they come in most useful, and that's not a whole lot of targets.

E: Doubling is only super good in this game because most enemies are slow. It's a bit more fair when you're getting doubled as well.