Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is where i had to concede what the Bad Thing in this game was. spoilered since the video just went up

in the Eyes portion of Central Hub, you can look out at jimmy's room, and he's clearly in a hospital bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GrandmaParty posted:

Episode 31 is up!

Deadman's Tea Party waited patiently to join me. And he has been honing his craft. Which is why I have to bust this thing out again.

I hate all of you.

So now we're back to plot. And at this point in time, the game decides to take a detour into fun before poo poo gets real again.

Real obvious, suckers. Where there's been heavy hinting to this point in time, Kasey has decided to be very explicit.

But my feelings are no less crushed :(

Commentary On

No Commentary

Quoting for next page.

I really enjoy the central hub. The music and the aesthetic just make it seem completely out of place but still managing to fit. It's got this hint of melancholy to it while still managing to be cool and fun.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"I know how your pills make you feel" :byodood:

If you haven't figured things out up to now, this is as explicit as it gets without outright saying what's going on.

If you're not overleveled, it's possible to take either option that Rubik gives you and survive. You'll get into lots of fights here, which means lots of money to buy HP and MP recovering items. The fountain does that and it's free, but I prefer letting him live just to be nice.

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Ok cool I'm going to post this now.

eraserhead baby

Wait no i want to add more dumb poo poo to my post. I assume since we're this far in I don't need to use spoiler tags..?

Everything about central hub here I really love. Finer Circuitry is one of my fav songs in this game and I love how everything in this building is representative (???idk if this is the right word im sick) of something. aaannd.. just now realized Jimmy's action text "Jimmy is learning to speak robot" probably isn't just referencing the robots in the zone but his heart monitor since, uh, I doubt he's been doing much actual speaking as of late :(

The only thing I still can't figure out is what the planes are supposed to be. We know one is missing because it's gamm-e's ship but what about the other two? like there's rooms that are jimmy's memory, his speech, his vision, etc but I'm clueless on the planes. The two theories I've heard is its either something to do with his life support or immune system.

oh and what do you guys think this is? he's on top of his moon and stars blanket but i dont think that's his bedroom or even the hospital room. ...mri machine?

Kad fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 19, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

get that OUT of my face posted:

"I know how your pills make you feel" :byodood:

If you haven't figured things out up to now, this is as explicit as it gets without outright saying what's going on.

If you're not overleveled, it's possible to take either option that Rubik gives you and survive. You'll get into lots of fights here, which means lots of money to buy HP and MP recovering items. The fountain does that and it's free, but I prefer letting him live just to be nice.

From what I can tell, not everything he sells is available later. I didn't buy Punch's bike chain when I had the chance, and now I can't find it again.

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Solitair posted:

From what I can tell, not everything he sells is available later. I didn't buy Punch's bike chain when I had the chance, and now I can't find it again.

you can find the bike chain in Smile once ms robin is selling stuff there again instead of her egg robot. i spent forever looking for it too and didnt realize it was practically in my face the whole time.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kad posted:

oh and what do you guys think this is? he's on top of his moon and stars blanket but i dont think that's his bedroom or even the hospital room. ...mri machine?

I think it's the back of an ambulance?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I think it's the back of an ambulance?

Pretty sure that's an MRI tube. The window is where the imaging techs would be.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Lol, I thought it was a weird graphic of an owl dude looking into a round window.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Keep that memory of the barking dog with Buck in the background in mind.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kad posted:

I think it's a tanning bed for when his mom tried to enter him in pageants.

C-Euro posted:

Hmm those craters at the end of this episode :thunk:

I'm going to laugh hysterically. Like cannot keep it straight. So stoked.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 19, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hmm those craters at the end of this episode :thunk:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Kad posted:

you can find the bike chain in Smile once ms robin is selling stuff there again instead of her egg robot. i spent forever looking for it too and didnt realize it was practically in my face the whole time.

:aaaaa:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Keep that memory of the barking dog with Buck in the background in mind.

I noticed Buck doesn't have his own portrait like Helga, Andrew, and Lars.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Just catching up on the LP.

Oh, Grandma, you cannot take back a woof. Once you woof, it is out there forever.

edit - wow, I imagine that's what it's like teaching a real life grandmother how to use Growlr.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 32 is up!

And boy howdy, it's a shitshow. And I love it. Content-wise it's hilarious.

Sour Gumdrop joins me as we explore the world after we escape. How do you feel about tonal whiplash?

Reasons it is a shitshow:

1) The poo poo that happens with Lars;

2) Discord drops Sour Gumdrop for 2 minutes;

3) Me giggling over serious parts

4) You learn what a terrible person I am.

God LPing rules.

I don't care that the banner is a spoiler. I'M PROUD OF WHAT I DID. I'LL FIGHT YOU.

Commentary On

No Commentary

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Emotional whiplash indeed :gbsmith:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Probably the best send-off we could give Punch Tanaka. It's true, the best friends will stay with you long after they're truly gone.

It's also our confirmation that Punch isn't coming back. :(

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
On the contrary, Punch doesn't need to come back, he's still here in our imagination.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The empathy thing that Jimmy had seemed to refer the first time we ever met him near the begining of the game. Anyone remember that and the huge pile of crashed motorcycles?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like how Jimmy is smart enough to know that Lars isn't cut out to be a father.

In earlier versions of the game, there was no map of the world in the top left corner when you're flying the spaceship, so it got kind of frustrating to navigate sometimes. Thankfully, Kasey listens to fan criticisms and does his best to fix them. Wish we could say the same about most people who make games these days....

Another common complaint fans had was that the price for items went up too high as the game went on.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
man hitomi's got some wanting-to-get-rid-of-lars energy going on. good for her

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Another common complaint fans had was that the price for items went up too high as the game went on.

I take credit for that one :v:

or at least I was one of a few people telling Kasey that the game gets real expensive around Shinryu and I went crazy money grinding there because of it

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

thevoiceofdog posted:

I take credit for that one :v:

or at least I was one of a few people telling Kasey that the game gets real expensive around Shinryu and I went crazy money grinding there because of it

Truth. I wish people complained more about the race, though. It's terrible. Coming next episode!

Ok. So now we've got the airship. What's left?

-6 Nexus points.
-9 bosses, including two more rounds of the arena.
-A hell stream
-Finding Gamm-E
-Disrupting a doomsday cult
-Learning Dad skills
-2 superbosses

So probably 10-12 more episodes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh wow that's quite a bit. This game goes all out.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

This part of the game was when my interest in the story kinda plummeted. It only gets worse from here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
contrarywise, for me this was where the plot went from good to exceptional

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Going from a linear plot to an open-ended collection quest put me off at first, but pretty much every location that you visit has some good stuff in it.

The encounters for every dungeon ramping up in difficulty and generally being a huge pain in the rear end doesn't help, though.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I've been sitting on these from the Jimmy Discord forever.

A user named Hairysin drew these and they crack me up.

My feelings about Moon Baby, too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Moon Baby looks like she is going to crush some fools

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

At this point I think I'm gonna put Dark Dungeon on the backburner. I tried using it to level past the next area I wanted to go to, only to realize that it prevents me from choosing what I grind for imagination levels.

Time to see if I can stay one step ahead of GrandmaParty.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 33 is up!

Katherine comes back because she got jealous she couldn't complain about how fuckin' bad Moon baby was. And we have a frank discussion about crimes.

Scabs spent most of the day throwing up after eating a stinkbug and pooping herself but she's fine now.

Mr. Beaver is a jerk but I have complicated feelings about this.

Also, I love Mom so much. Especially 80s mom and her dancing monkey.

gently caress you, maze. I ran it myself.

Commentary On

No Commentary

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Kathrine continues to be the best commentator and puts everyone else who's appeared in this LP to shame.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so yeah, this is the structure the game's final arc takes - a world-spanning quest to enter the final mindspaces of jimmy's family, each of which end with a glimpse at how his illness has affected them in the real world

i was very chilly towards the cancer twist when i finally put the pieces together, but its commitment to the idea won me over. most games would just use it to create a melancholy downbeat for the ending, but jimmy grabs your shoulders with a wide glassy grin and goes "no. we have hours to go. and we're going to keep doing this. this is what we are now"

it hasn't gotten much better elsewhere in jimmy's head, either. mr beaver, like mr grouse, has been totally consumed by his neuroses, even if they're not quite as dramatically horrible

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 26, 2019

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Rainbow park is probably my favorite area of the whole game. I love how much is conveyed to the player without a single word of dialogue until the memory hut of sadness. The music is also super good in this area. I'm not one to really cry over games, but that memory scene drat near got me.

I also did the maze myself, I didn't know about the detective until post game so I did it at the time I came by. Granted, I also did the wobbly chocobo... and did the race in under 0:00. So basically, thank you kasey for giving the gaming masochists a shout out :shepface:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
For whatever reason, seeing Helga strum an acoustic and sing made me convinced fod a time that Helga and the Phantoms was a one-woman band; the name of the group also brings to mind Helga recording all of the instrumentation on an album herself and attributing it to ghosts.

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

YEA RAINBOW PARK!!! I love this place! It makes me happy! It makes me sad! Poor Helga I know exactly what flipping between happy and sudden depression is like

80s Helga is the best and I love her, and yeah the sprite next to her is baby Buck! Here's a better view of him:

You missed my favorite furniture item in the game, which you get to in......I THINK the northwest corner using bird or pumpkin to jump/fly over the gaps.
It's called the Staff Paper and it's my favorite only because of the description for it which is: "Contains half a magic song said to cure baldness."
Who do we know makes music? Helga. And who is balding? Andrew. The thought of her writing a song to cure her husband's balding is the funniest goddamn thing. The first time I found it I was in tears bc the first mental image I had was of Andrew laying his head on Helga's lap, silently crying as Helga pats him on the head and sings to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Very glad that I called my mom yesterday :unsmith:

If we're in Jimmy's dream, I wonder how he figured out all of this stuff about his mom's past.