Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dawgstar posted:

I was reading a recent interview from Mike and Kevin and the interviewer asked them 'Neil Breen movie when' and the impression I get is Neil hasn't allowed them access. Which is fine, that's his choice, but I mention it in case anybody wonders where a riff of I Am Here... Now!' is.

Breen is in no way self aware enough to let that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Chokes McGee posted:

I blame bob boxbody

:smug: "Careful, girls!"
:v: "Don't let my raw sexuality overwhelm you!"

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i love that part, where platt is giving all the heist guys poo poo, one by one.

"enough money to forget that you can't act",
"for you to stop writing bad books and start reading good ones",
"and for you to cut loose from your lovely and wandering mother, so you can go to hell in your own way"

in general, the rebel set is pretty underrated

For some reason I've always thought that Quentin Tarantino would be interested in remaking The Rebel Set.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Action Jacktion posted:

For some reason I've always thought that Quentin Tarantino would be interested in remaking The Rebel Set.

I could see that, though a Coen Brothers take on it would really be something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:smug: "Careful, girls!"
:v: "Don't let my raw sexuality overwhelm you!"

"We're looking for someone who will... sleep with us."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
*not-so-subtly crosses legs*

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dawgstar posted:

"We're looking for someone who will... sleep with us."

"But none of that modern stuff, just shake your dinners."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"But none of that modern stuff, just shake your dinners."

That is a line that legit makes me laugh out loud every time I hear it, not unlike in The Skydivers when Crow goes, "Ah, the femmy fattaly!"

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Is the death noise Tom Servo makes for the dinosaur in Future War (around 1 hour, 21 minutes) a reference to something or just delightful improv? I feel insane trying to reproduce the sound in conversation.

"Harf hava nah nah... GUUUUUAAAHHH."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so-vHyYjgZk&t=4856s

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Huh? It's pretty clearly Tom saying "You forgot your backpack—AAAUGH!"

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Huh? It's pretty clearly Tom saying "You forgot your backpack—AAAUGH!"

Thanks. My friends and I broke a VHS tape rewinding it so many times trying to figure that out back in the day.

We had to do the same on Time Chasers proving to each other that you can see Lisa's dead body fling out of the plane as it explodes. I think we all just have poo poo eyesight and hearing or something.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is their new live show not coming to LA?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I saw it come up in the RiffTrax FB group and I've never gotten this weird blanket 'skits on Comedy Central were good, SyFy skits were bad.' Those people must have never seen The Trial of Mike Nelson. (Or many others, but I watched that one recently and found it hysterical.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Some of the early Joel skits (especially the invention exchanges) are physically painful to watch, whereas I’ve always found Pearl & Co. to be just fantastic.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Pearl and Mike in the Winnebago is one of the top ten skits they ever did.

EDIT: Dog and Bear was a Mike skit too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

"What's too far when your entrails are hanging out?"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My all-time favorite sketch is the country music station bit from Deadly Mantis.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Jack Perkins died :(

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I always chuckle at the "Ortega caters the movie break" skit. And anyone who doesn't like the skit where they try to get out of watching Hobgoblins by using cardboard cutouts of themselves, is in desperate need of a humor transplant.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My all-time favorite sketch is the country music station bit from Deadly Mantis.

Reba!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Brooks and Dunn!

Brooks and Dunn!

Wynonna! :v:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Dawgstar posted:

"What's too far when your entrails are hanging out?"
"And I rose to my hind feet, towering, and still bellowing he came. And I mewled and spewed gore from my wounds and snot from my flaring, wild maw, and, and, and then, we were locked like lovers."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dawgstar posted:

I saw it come up in the RiffTrax FB group and I've never gotten this weird blanket 'skits on Comedy Central were good, SyFy skits were bad.' Those people must have never seen The Trial of Mike Nelson. (Or many others, but I watched that one recently and found it hysterical.)

If you can find some older interviews with the MST3K crew, this was absolutely the feedback they got. Sci-fi channel forced them to have an ongoing 'story' with the skits. There were a lot of bad ones. Ancient Rome, the weird 'kids' in a bunch of them, and a couple others.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you can find some older interviews with the MST3K crew, this was absolutely the feedback they got. Sci-fi channel forced them to have an ongoing 'story' with the skits. There were a lot of bad ones. Ancient Rome, the weird 'kids' in a bunch of them, and a couple others.

They had some explosive finales thanks to Mike Nelson; Destroyer of Worlds at least.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Pearl and Mike in the Winnebago is one of the top ten skits they ever did.

"Pearl, why are you so evil?"

"Well... I'm filled with hate. I don't know if that helps at all?"

All the Time Chasers host segments are perfect.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfBr5l4S63Q

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

More that was people complaining that the host segments had a continuity that was then ruined because Sci-Fi would air things out of order almost immediately. I think maybe they were aired in order first run, but I would not be shocked if they weren't.

There were funny bits in Rome, like Flavia describing Crow as a golden spider-duck and Servo as a squat crimson pig (while Mike was pleased to be called 'average-looking.') And I loved the space children (not to be confused with The Space Children which featured Jackie Coogan in little shorts). "Tanta Bobo has to visit Uncle Reconstructive Urologist!"

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I liked how they fleshed out Mike’s character more than Joel’s, like how the bots constantly brought up his past as a deadbeat stoner and made fun of him for it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think Mike had that quiet, angry rant about his mom taking him to a shoe store opening instead of Woodstock, that was great.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Funky Valentine posted:

I think Mike had that quiet, angry rant about his mom taking him to a shoe store opening instead of Woodstock, that was great.

That was actually Joel, I think in either Catalina Caper or The Beatniks. Mike did have that one rant about how some guy cost him a temp job though, that lasted with him fuming about it (while the bots stood around awkwardly) through the commercial break.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Dawgstar posted:

Shut up, boy, I'm defending you here.

And although 'panties' rarely comes up as a key word or term in any of my lectures, whenever I do have a lecture or seminar with some awkward or silly point to it, I will say more or less, 'Right, we're going to hear this word a lot, so let's get them giggles out now.'

I love the trial, especially Bobo.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Ms Boods posted:

And although 'panties' rarely comes up as a key word or term in any of my lectures, whenever I do have a lecture or seminar with some awkward or silly point to it, I will say more or less, 'Right, we're going to hear this word a lot, so let's get them giggles out now.'

I didn't realize it until years later when I saw the movie but that has to be an Anatomy of a Murder reference, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiEP0gqO_s4

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ms Boods posted:

I love the left turn from the typical sci-fi 'you are on trial for all humanity.' "Why are you trying to blame everyone else? You're the guilty one here!"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Ms Boods posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ZCZOW8eT0

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I loved Mary Jo and Bridget sniping at each other as Pearl and Flavia. "Slut I mean what?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And another mark in the Sci-Fi era's favor are the Nanites.

"It were during the Union Summer the prairie fires started. Some said they caved that mine in on purpose but I couldn't hardly believe it. Ma told me just to mind myself."

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
the nanites were great.

(long breathless technobabble, mike asks them to slow down)

"of course, where are my manners, forgive me. so, what can we do ya for?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dawgstar posted:

And another mark in the Sci-Fi era's favor are the Nanites.

"It were during the Union Summer the prairie fires started. Some said they caved that mine in on purpose but I couldn't hardly believe it. Ma told me just to mind myself."

Then Tom Servo used a shrunk down copy to have a word and got his rear end kicked.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Let's not forget the Nanites vs. Mike's Eyebrow Mites, at the Battle of Follicle Ridge. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well this all makes sense now :psyduck:

https://mobile.twitter.com/stuartpstevens/status/1164003031425474561