Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

They’re obviously Star Trek novels that had to be changed a little due to copyright reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's a buddy cop vacation miniseries

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Murderbot got a Hugo, as did some other good things.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The Kindle SF deal that has TMBC in it also has Animal Farm in it. Am I narrowminded or are there zero right-thinking people in the world who would take the talking-animal conceit literally enough to class it under SF/F?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Good Hugos and Jeannette Ng won the Campbell and took no prisoners in her speech https://medium.com/@nettlefish/john-w-campbell-for-whom-this-award-was-named-was-a-fascist-f693323d3293

Mary Robinette Kowal was given a Hugo for the first Lady Astronaut novel by an actual lady astronaut!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Under The Pendulum Sun was one of my favourite books from last year, so I'm stoked at Jeanette Ng's win. And hell yeah, what a speech.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Kindle SF deal that has TMBC in it also has Animal Farm in it. Am I narrowminded or are there zero right-thinking people in the world who would take the talking-animal conceit literally enough to class it under SF/F?

The full title of the work is "Animal Farm - A Fairy Story" (at least, on my first edition copy that I can't find), and it uses a fantastical notion as an allegory for real-world political philosophy. That makes it qualify, as far as I am concerned.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
"This book about talking animals is obviously a serious political and satirical text and therefore cannot possibly be a fantasy" is the take of a coward.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Bhodi posted:

It's a buddy cop vacation miniseries

All things to all men, is what it is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

90s Cringe Rock posted:

They didn't let Murderbot into the Hugo party

https://twitter.com/marthawells1/status/1163226612239937537

mewse
May 2, 2006

The next murderbot should be dedicated to “the Hugos, who didn’t allow me to attend the ceremony in which I won a Hugo”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mewse posted:

The next murderbot should be dedicated to “the Hugos, who didn’t allow me to attend the ceremony in which I won a Hugo”

Murderbot is too cool for that party anyway

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gnoman posted:

The full title of the work is "Animal Farm - A Fairy Story" (at least, on my first edition copy that I can't find), and it uses a fantastical notion as an allegory for real-world political philosophy. That makes it qualify, as far as I am concerned.
I guess that is fair! (the Amazon page for it agrees with you on the title)

90s Cringe Rock posted:

"This book about talking animals is obviously a serious political and satirical text and therefore cannot possibly be a fantasy" is the take of a coward.
excuse me Kurt Vonnegut is filed under fiction and therefore cannot be a SF writer

(honestly, if his career had followed the arc I would have predicted from The Sirens of Titan, he would have been universally acknowledged as one of the all-time SF greats and also nobody would have ever heard of him)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hack the party bus over WiFi, crash it into a tree, then go back to the hotel and watch Mexican soap operas

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GRRM trying to keep all the appetizers to himself

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for Murderbot omni so I can buy them all again! And also it will make thrusting the full volume at people an easier sell on 'READ THOU THIS'

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

This was apparently corrected, but the Hugos were a bit of a shitshow all around.
https://twitter.com/pnh/status/1163073131650670592

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
How is that possible?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

TBF, the Irish have always hated the handicapped almost as much as Protestants.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ulmont posted:

This was apparently corrected, but the Hugos were a bit of a shitshow all around.

:ughh:

This makes me angrier than Martha Wells being turned away

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
are we sure it wasn't just rothfuss being banned then the other authors jumping to the wrong conclusion?

i wouldn't let him into my party.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Patrick Spens posted:

How is that possible?

https://twitter.com/stealthygeek/status/1163252077264609280

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yikes, that's terrible.

PupsOfWar posted:

GRRM trying to keep all the appetizers to himself

Rubbish, he's too busy running the losers' party. E: not a burn, it's a real thing, though of course I don't know if he's involved every year: http://fancyclopedia.org/hugo-losers-party

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 19, 2019

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Yikes, that's terrible.

Rubbish, he's too busy running the losers' party. E: not a burn, it's a real thing, though of course I don't know if he's involved every year: http://fancyclopedia.org/hugo-losers-party

The party everyone's not able to get into is the losers' party! (I don't know why the winners are allowed though)

e: also very glad Mia Sereno got a Hugo. She deserves it for her art alone. But her mom, the Chief Justice of the Philippines Supreme Court, was impeached by Duterte on extremely lovely grounds. Everything Mia writes about resistance and oppression has that extra weight of experience.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 19, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
For what it's worth, here's what I would have voted if I could afford a supporting membership:
Novel Ballot
1: Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
2: Revenant Gun by Yoon Ha Lee
3: The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal
4: Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers
5: Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse
6: NO AWARD
7: Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente

Novella Ballot
1: Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire
2: Artificial Condition by Martha Wells
3: Binti: The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor
4: Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach by Kelly Robson
5: NO AWARD
6: The Tea master and the Detective by Aliette de Bodard
7: The Black God's Drums by P. Djeli Clark

Novelette Ballot
1: "If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again" by Zen Cho
2: "Nine Last Days on Planet Earth" by Daryl Gregory
3: "The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections" by Tina Connolly
4: "When We Were Starless" by Simone Heller
5: "The Thing About Ghost Stories" by Naomi Kritzer
7: The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander

Short Story Ballot:
1: "The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington" by P. Djeli Clark
2: "The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society" by T. Kingfisher
3: "A Witch's Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies" by Alix E. Harrow
4: "The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat" by Brooke Bolander
5: "STET" by Sarah Gailey
7: "The Court Magician" by Sarah Pinsker

uber_stoat posted:

don't get me wrong, I enjoyed that stuff at the time! fond memories.

My dad had dozens of that line of Shadowrun books. Sadly I only got to the first five before he sold them all. Are they even available anymore?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Space Opera is a weird book. I alternated every few pages between enjoying the anecdotes about the galactic species, and hating the atrocious 'witty' prose and the nothing plot. I'm not sure how it was popular enough to even get on the ballot.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Solitair posted:

My dad had dozens of that line of Shadowrun books. Sadly I only got to the first five before he sold them all. Are they even available anymore?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00CKCKVNC/ref=dp_st_3453062116

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Safety Biscuits posted:

Yikes, that's terrible.

Y'all joke but

https://twitter.com/AdriJjy/status/1163226585341865984

https://twitter.com/OctopusGallery/status/1163253888922918912

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tokamak posted:

Space Opera is a weird book. I alternated every few pages between enjoying the anecdotes about the galactic species, and hating the atrocious 'witty' prose and the nothing plot. I'm not sure how it was popular enough to even get on the ballot.

Because the Hugos are currently heavily skewed towards a certain set of modern, liberal, mostly female authors as the pendulum swings away from the previous set of old-fashioned, conservative, mostly male authors, and Catherynne Valente is a part of the in-group.

I'm very happy that we're getting more authors who aren't straight white men being published, because most of my favourite SF/F authors have come out of the new wave, but I think it's also true that the SF/F field is currently dominated by a particular kind of voice -- just like it used to be ruled by the ersatz Heinlein / Tolkien brigade.

(OTOH the new authors are generally... better. So that's nice.)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The SFF scene was run by white guys for 70 years and I'm happy to have literally everyone else in charge instead.

ulmont posted:

This also did get sorted out but the convention committee, i.e. the Powers That Be, had to be involved.

They also tried speech to text captioning during the ceremony and that was also a shitshow.

Veteran attendees have bitched about the queues once again but that's really a function of the fandom growing so much.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tokamak posted:

I tried reading it and felt like I was watching a Joss Whedon show starring the Gilmore Girls and didn't get very far. Should try again tho since it was kinda fun.

Hugos being dominated by women is cool and good, hope Campbell is having a stroke in hell.

I finally got around to picking up Solaris and it's cool how it starts off all hosed up, Kelvin comes onto the station and there's just stuff all over the floor and a crazy guy and maybe a dead guy? Gonna like this one I think.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

ulmont posted:

Ironcially:

https://twitter.com/Dublin2019/status/1163178187540619264

https://twitter.com/Fi_FyFoFum/status/1161617165402984448

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sulphagnist posted:

Good Hugos and Jeannette Ng won the Campbell and took no prisoners in her speech https://medium.com/@nettlefish/john-w-campbell-for-whom-this-award-was-named-was-a-fascist-f693323d3293

Mary Robinette Kowal was given a Hugo for the first Lady Astronaut novel by an actual lady astronaut!

Do we know what the hat thing is?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I deeply wish that Valente had gotten the nom for Radiance instead of Space Opera. Radiance is leagues better in every way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

my bony fealty posted:

I tried reading it and felt like I was watching a Joss Whedon show starring the Gilmore Girls and didn't get very far. Should try again tho since it was kinda fun.
For me it was one of those books that was set in a really interesting universe but then the plot followed the least interesting parts of it.

(Like Austin Grossman's Crooked, which took the at-least-intriguing idea of "ritual magician Richard Nixon was selected to be vice president because of his bloodline" and then pissed all over it by being unable to, you know, write Nixon. I bring this up at every opportunity because that book had all kinds of stuff I really liked in it, but the book itself sucked.)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

The really hosed up thing about Space Opera is that, by Valente trying to glorify Hitchhiker's Guide and Eurovision at the same time, she made me despise the galactic version of Eurovision presented in the book because of how cynical it all is.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

So basically it's the Rick and Morty schwifty episode except the genocidal karaoke contest is unironically good?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

So basically it's the Rick and Morty schwifty episode except the genocidal karaoke contest is unironically good?
Space Eurovision is still terrible, the book's more celebrating, uh, the human spirit for loving poo poo up and how eurovision is at least a way to potentially do something that isn't genocidal war for a change.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I picked up Grunt Life by Weston Ochse and it's military sci-fi about a soldier who tries to commit suicide and gets stopped and drafted into TASK FORCE OMBRA to fight aliens.

I'm posting here now because the first part of his training was being locked into a suicide-proof cell with a tablet loaded full of books and movies and he's told to read/watch everything and answer questions on them before he can leave and move into PHASE II of the training.

Which is to say, that's one hell of a way to get a guy to read CJ Cherryh. I love it. I'm gonna have to try it on my friends. :v:

quote:

I woke up the next morning—or at least it felt like morning, even though I had no possible way of knowing—and returned to my tablet. COMPLETION OF YOUR PROGRAM OF INSTRUCTION WILL RESULT IN RELEASE FROM PHASE I TO PHASE II were the words I read with excitement, until I saw what was expected of us. The sheer number of books and papers I was supposed to read seemed impossible. I counted ninety-six manuscripts, forty-seven movies, and seven biographies which we were expected to read well enough to provide interactive input to the tablet upon completion. It was a genius strategy. With no bars, it might take some of us forever to complete this list. Hell, let’s face it, most of us wouldn’t even try and finish, if we weren’t locked inside the cells. By limiting our freedom, then offering it back to us if we completed, they were giving a huge incentive. Even the laziest of us would be inspired to get this done.

The biographies included Julius Caesar, Chesty Puller, David Hackworth, and several other soldiers.

Of the movies, I’d seen around half of them. They were the usual suspects: Kelly’s Heroes, A Bridge Too Far, Guns of Navarone, Hamburger Hill, They Were Expendable, We Were Soldiers, The Dirty Dozen, Where Eagles Dare, Saving Private Ryan, and Platoon. But there were also some foreign films I had never heard of, like Ivan’s Childhood, Kanał, and Gallipoli. There were also some science fiction movies, such as Starship Troopers, the modern version of War of the Worlds, Battleship, Battle: Los Angeles, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Puppet Masters, They Live, and Independence Day; I’d seen all of them except They Live and The Puppet Masters.

I wanted to look forward to watching them, but I had all those books to read as well. I had a choice. I could either let the tablet read them to me, or I could read them myself.

Although I wasn’t the fastest reader in the universe, I wasn’t bad. I’d preferred Mack Bolan and Casca books, growing up, and enjoyed immersing myself in anything with guns. Plus, there were some books which were passed around the military that I’d already read. These included Armor, Starship Troopers, The Forever War, Old Man’s War, Ender’s Game, A Mote in God’s Eye, Legion of the Damned, Hammers Slammers and Bolo. But there were a lot I had never read, books by C. J. Cherryh, David Gerrold, Jerry Pournelle, and Robert Buettner, to name a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How much do people use Goodreads to determine what novels to check out?

Wondering whether the books with the highest ratings are actually the best books. (my guess is no)