Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Make sure to kill all the optional bosses/side bosses then reset, yeah. Even out your gearscore before resetting too, so you aren't getting screwed by scaling.

https://old.reddit.com/r/remnantgame/comments/crs0i3/level_scaling_information/

Edit:
Yeah, I was focusing entirely on leveling my weapons for a solid 2/3 of the game until I read up on the scaling and started working on armor. It was an exercise in careful dodging and swearing repeatedly and loudly at the fights that spawn hordes of "dies in 1 hit but also spikes you for tons of damage" mobs.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sushibandit posted:

Make sure to kill all the optionalbosses/side bosses then reset, yeah. Even out your gearscore before resetting too, so you aren't getting screwed by scaling.

https://old.reddit.com/r/remnantgame/comments/crs0i3/level_scaling_information/

That would explain why everything is killing me in one shot lol.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
The bosses are getting me super-frustrated. Does Singe REALLY need a horde of dudes to help him out?

At this point I'm kind of hoping there will be a Day 1 patch to tone down the adds in some of the boss encounters. It really does feel like the the add spawning is mistakenly scaling for multiple players when fighting a boss solo. I can't even begin to figure out a boss' tells when i'm up to my elbows in a horde of whatever random entourage a boss has brought along.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Merrill Grinch posted:

The bosses are getting me super-frustrated. Does Singe REALLY need a horde of dudes to help him out?

At this point I'm kind of hoping there will be a Day 1 patch to tone down the adds in some of the boss encounters. It really does feel like the the add spawning is mistakenly scaling for multiple players when fighting a boss solo. I can't even begin to figure out a boss' tells when i'm up to my elbows in a horde of whatever random entourage a boss has brought along.

The game has some great ideas and world building but the execution is just really rough. There's a bug on Xbone that dramatically reduces xp from kills, for example (they've acknowledged this, no ETA for a fix), and yeah - the scaling systems and mob spawns seem way too aggressive. That's before we get to the part where I can't co-op on Xbox because matchmaking has been broken since Friday.

I'm kind of on the verge of putting it down to see if they touch some of this up in a patch, but it's a budget title published by Perfect World so I'm not really holding my breath.

tragic johnson
Aug 3, 2011
Discord link seems to have expired.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

tragic johnson posted:

Discord link seems to have expired.

Here you go: https://discord.gg/Jtjv9Vy

This one hopefully shouldn't expire.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I like it, jank and all. It's need some refinement obviously, hopefully it can get a few patches to fix the issues.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
The randomization is cool i ntheory but i can't keep track of where poo poo is or whatever. I've fought a bunch of bosses and the game is like... good but I don't know. It's like everything is based on random chance not skill. Every boss fight i beat I feel like I just got lucky. I don't know.

I'm also still using the starting hunting rifle because I don't know where to find the assault rifle or this sweet radiation machine gun people are getting. Not sure what bosses drop what, and what weapons spawn where. I don't even know if I've thoroughly searched everything in my game cause the desert dungeons are so windy and weird and the map is kinda poo poo. I've found a ton of rings but like one necklace. I bought up the shotguns but I haven't found any other weapons other than one from the Ent boss. Oh well.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Spent yesterday playing through in one sitting, super fun game but the main complaint I had was bosses with rear end in a top hat ads! are they really required?

Also the last boss took us about 6 attempts before we figured out the buff stacking mechanic in the portal area, I hit him with 110,000 damage with my rifles black hole attack after that

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
There's a nice SMG you can get as soon as you use the crystal the first time that's not randomly placed.

Key card from the founder's desk goes in the card reader below the reactor in Ward 13. There's some good stuff in there and a few environmental puzzles.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Merrill Grinch posted:

There's a nice SMG you can get as soon as you use the crystal the first time that's not randomly placed.

Key card from the founder's desk goes in the card reader below the reactor in Ward 13. There's some good stuff in there and a few environmental puzzles.

You can also get the Drifter armor in the same building you get the keycard and it's not randomly placed. Break the bookcase up against the wall and crawl through the hole.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 19, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Regrettable posted:

You can also get the Ex-Cultist armor in the same building you get the keycard and it's not randomly placed. Break the bookcase up against the wall and crawl through the hole.

I found a different set of armor there. It wasn't one of the starters either.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Nvm, my bad, it's the Drifter Armor set. I should probably get some sleep, lol.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 19, 2019

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Meleecentric characters feel really really weak in general. You can have some fun moments, but there's a lot of poo poo that just shits on you for trying to do more melee than occasionally no matter how you build. This is on top of having much less access to your spells because you're not really shooting much and the pretty insane numbers you can pull out of guns with crit traits and rings.

Case in point, this game's moonlight butterfly is just an actual middle finger of a boss, and it was after the previous middle finger of a boss fight where the boss is out of reach for the entire fight. It's getting to the point where I just entirely swap to ranged for any boss fight because what's the point?

tragic johnson
Aug 3, 2011

Diephoon posted:

re: the ent fight
keep shooting him in the same leg and it'll eventually fall off

if you do this, he drops a hammer that does rot damage. leaving them intact gets you a shotgun that shoots rot grenades. there's a similar conditional mechanic for each major boss--someone summarized everything in a google doc

edit: also, thanks for updating the discord link. def interested in grouping with non-cheaters this upcoming week

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is a blast with some friends. I don't think it has a ton of staying power, but the worlds are really neat, the setting is cool, and the hilariously broken poo poo you can build into in the midgame is fun.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Stop making me watch this stupid loving cutscene final boss

my favorite part is how i keep getting immediately oneshot after it ends

Lemming fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 19, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's an absolutely poo poo game that can mask a lot of it's flaws if you have a bunch of people to play it with. Like a badly designed fight with a bunch of friends is at least trivial, but it's still a badly designed fight. I don't think there's one good fight in the game. And of course there's just way, way too much trash everywhere. For all that there is the promise that, someday, the studio could make a good game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's good, actually. Boss fghts are hard enough that you can't just faceroll them, and I like that there's more going on than just a pattern to figure out, usually. Played everything on hard solo.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I loved all the boss fights, solo. They feel just right - not so easy you roll them on your first try (for the most part), but not so hard it takes days to get through them. They're basically Dark Souls bosses with 30% of the difficulty shaved off.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
......what the gently caress boss in that entire game did you consider more than "just a pattern to figure out"?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Mulva posted:

......what the gently caress boss in that entire game any game ever made did you consider more than "just a pattern to figure out"?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A list of all the great video game boss fights that weren't puzzles:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

A list of all the great video game boss fights that weren't puzzles:

Fighting Tigers with your Fists in a Golden Castle.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Having never played a souls-type game I think this is extremely cool and fun but I suck at it, but I'm also getting better and it's satisfying.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

clone on the phone posted:

Having never played a souls-type game I think this is extremely cool and fun but I suck at it, but I'm also getting better and it's satisfying.

If this is how your brain works then you would probably enjoy souls games.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mulva posted:

......what the gently caress boss in that entire game did you consider more than "just a pattern to figure out"?

The adds make you think on your feet, basically.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I picked this up and have enjoyed it so far. Performance is great, and the controls seem very nice. Haven't made it to a boss yet, but the harder enemies are providing a great challenge - and it's just a very fun game. That is all.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Bosses are easily the worst part of the game. Exploration and finding new things is the best.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lemming posted:

The adds make you think on your feet, basically.

This, and I also think they're necessary to make a ranged combat focused souls game actually retain any shred of difficulty without making the bosses weird bullet hell fests or having them aggressively dive at you constantly and repeatedly. Many of the bosses in this game would be really easy to avoid and kite around while plinking them to death with your extremely powerful arsenal - provided that they were the only thing you needed to pay attention to, but they're not in most cases. It's one solution to the traditional Souls game problem of ranged combat(typically magic in Souls) rendering most bosses completely toothless and trivial.

The adds also serve the purpose of making coop on bosses in this game actually fun and tense because you're in huge amounts of danger instead of the Souls tradition of coop simply making every boss roll over and die effortlessly because none of them were ever designed to fight more than one person.

This isn't really a :gitgud: because I'm complete trash at this game solo despite having beaten it, but I honestly like the fight/add dynamic, though I concede they could probably stand to tune down the add numbers/HP a little without removing them totally in pure solo mode at least.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Kanos posted:

This, and I also think they're necessary to make a ranged combat focused souls game actually retain any shred of difficulty without making the bosses weird bullet hell fests or having them aggressively dive at you constantly and repeatedly. Many of the bosses in this game would be really easy to avoid and kite around while plinking them to death with your extremely powerful arsenal - provided that they were the only thing you needed to pay attention to, but they're not in most cases. It's one solution to the traditional Souls game problem of ranged combat(typically magic in Souls) rendering most bosses completely toothless and trivial.

The adds also serve the purpose of making coop on bosses in this game actually fun and tense because you're in huge amounts of danger instead of the Souls tradition of coop simply making every boss roll over and die effortlessly because none of them were ever designed to fight more than one person.

This isn't really a :gitgud: because I'm complete trash at this game solo despite having beaten it, but I honestly like the fight/add dynamic, though I concede they could probably stand to tune down the add numbers/HP a little without removing them totally in pure solo mode at least.

I think my main issue with the adds is they do interesting things with adds only a couple times that I've seen so far, and those were Gorefist and Raze. Everyone else feels the same because no matter what the boss's mechanics are, you're doing the same things to kill their adds as you've done for every boss up to this point. Hive, Warden, Shroud, Mangler, Thrall, etc all feel like the same fight. There aren't any bosses that are just 1 on 1 fights that require you to read boss tells without distracting you constantly. They don't make you think on your feet, they make you go to the same strat you've used every other time in this game.

Not Moonlight Butterfly is at least different, even if I hated it because gently caress you for being melee.

Dazzo
Jun 22, 2006

I think the adds are there for the ammo drops. Otherwise you shoot dry and have to rely on ammo box items.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kanos posted:

This, and I also think they're necessary to make a ranged combat focused souls game actually retain any shred of difficulty without making the bosses weird bullet hell fests or having them aggressively dive at you constantly and repeatedly.

They don't though. By the third world you have like 3 different ways to mash F and they instantly disappear. They add nothing to the later fights, and they just slow down the earlier fights. They are literally a waste of time that, if you are properly geared, can only slow down your rotation if they literally spawn in front of you. That's bad game design, used to mask the fact they don't have interesting bosses. Like half the bosses are just larger reskins of basic enemies. Some are just straight rips of Dark Souls bosses, along with all the other poo poo they took. As someone said, one of their bosses is literally just "Moonlight Butterfly, but the twist is THERE IS AN ADD THAT IS ANOTHER BUTTERFLY!".

And if you are in a group multiple people have an F button they can mash, so it's even more trivial.

I have to agree, the least interesting part of this game is the boss fights. The story and exploration stuff is pretty alright, but then it's "Guess I'll have to fight 5 trivial add bosses on this world too." to progress it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mulva posted:

They don't though. By the third world you have like 3 different ways to mash F and they instantly disappear. They add nothing to the later fights, and they just slow down the earlier fights. They are literally a waste of time that, if you are properly geared, can only slow down your rotation if they literally spawn in front of you. That's bad game design, used to mask the fact they don't have interesting bosses. Like half the bosses are just larger reskins of basic enemies. Some are just straight rips of Dark Souls bosses, along with all the other poo poo they took. As someone said, one of their bosses is literally just "Moonlight Butterfly, but the twist is THERE IS AN ADD THAT IS ANOTHER BUTTERFLY!".

And if you are in a group multiple people have an F button they can mash, so it's even more trivial.

I have to agree, the least interesting part of this game is the boss fights. The story and exploration stuff is pretty alright, but then it's "Guess I'll have to fight 5 trivial add bosses on this world too." to progress it.

I'm not a fan of the adds, but on my Hard playthrough where everything kills you in 1-2 hits they definitely make bosses a lot more challenging. I'm not sure what mods you're using that are clearing the room, because the only big AoE ones I have (Tentacle and Black Hole) are good, but require set-up to actually kill stuff.

Does anyone know when Galvanized Iron starts dropping on Hard? Forged is dropping, but it seems pretty rare.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

fadam posted:

I'm not a fan of the adds, but on my Hard playthrough where everything kills you in 1-2 hits they definitely make bosses a lot more challenging. I'm not sure what mods you're using that are clearing the room, because the only big AoE ones I have (Tentacle and Black Hole) are good, but require set-up to actually kill stuff.

Does anyone know when Galvanized Iron starts dropping on Hard? Forged is dropping, but it seems pretty rare.

it's all based on your ilvl. so once all your gear hits 10 it should be a fairly common drop

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

fadam posted:

I'm not sure what mods you're using that are clearing the room

Depends on the type of trash. Breath of the Desert is a solid go to. Like for that Ixil fight it was "Oh no, there's a million lock bombs that explode if they hit me. Good thing I have a million glowing lock on bombs to fire off at them.". Just f f f and everything is gone. It makes that mechanic not exist as far as what I'm doing is concerned, which makes that a trivial fight. That's every add fight. If you can just mash F and everything is dead what is the point of the adds except I guess dropping ammo every so often?

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
I found I didn't mind the ads quite as much when they were baked into boss attacks or at least fit the "lore" of the boss. Like how the Ent actually physically pops the exploder guys out of him or does a shout that summons the little guys out of the ground, or how it made sense the wolfpack guy would have a bunch of wolves streaming in. Another example is the lightning dog when he runs off into the forest and comes back with ads riding his back. What I did NOT like were what felt like regular bosses that could have stood on their own that just had ads falling from the ceiling/popping from the ground for no reason (Shroud, the butcher guy in the swamp, and like 70% of the rest of the bosses).

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

El Cid posted:

I found I didn't mind the ads quite as much when they were baked into boss attacks or at least fit the "lore" of the boss. Like how the Ent actually physically pops the exploder guys out of him or does a shout that summons the little guys out of the ground, or how it made sense the wolfpack guy would have a bunch of wolves streaming in. Another example is the lightning dog when he runs off into the forest and comes back with ads riding his back. What I did NOT like were what felt like regular bosses that could have stood on their own that just had ads falling from the ceiling/popping from the ground for no reason (Shroud, the butcher guy in the swamp, and like 70% of the rest of the bosses).

The problem is without adds most of those bosses would be shoot at boss->run from boss->shoot at boss. I think it is really hard to make a dark souls style boss where you have to learn patterns and play around them in games where you can shoot them from like 50 metres away.

I can’t think of a single boss in a game with ranged combat that’s actually good and amounts to more than just circle strafing and dumping shots into them. I’m not sure if it’s a solvable problem- like can a game with guns ever have a fight as good as Artorias?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mulva posted:

My experience on hard doesn't jive with this at all. It takes multiple Fs from the vast majority of mods I've used to drop any add bigger than the little nutsack goblin dudes, and even my level 20 hunting pistol with maxed out crit damage frequently doesn't drop adds in 3 person multi on hard with a single headshot if they're the chunkier types, nevermind the number of add types that simply can't be headshot and deleted from the timeline instantly, like the Vyr constructs in the desert. Add duty in multiplayer on the majority of fights in the two playthroughs I've done is a full time job for at least one person, sometimes two depending on the fight, and if someone drops or you fall behind on the accumulation it probably leads to you getting killed. This adds a lot of stress to fights that would otherwise be three dudes shooting the boss from opposite corners of the room while in no danger.

I know that there's a super duper bugged mod right now that does way too much damage and is also part of a glitch that instantly deletes any boss, but I don't have it personally. Breath of the Desert, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Kild posted:

it's all based on your ilvl. so once all your gear hits 10 it should be a fairly common drop

Ah crap, I guess I’m actually going to have to upgrade my armour lol.