Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Did they put out a PC performance patch for NMS yet or is it basically abandonware at this point

What? The hugest update for the game since launch dropped this past Wednesday, and there have been like 4 or 5 updates since

You can download it on abandoneare.org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bit the bullet and finally ordered an RTX 2060 because my current GTX 1060 can't even manage stable 45 fps in NMS.
Here's hoping that a 2060 would give me stable 90 on at least medium settings.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

eddiewalker posted:

If I’m ordering those round Zenni lenses and 3D printing adapters, I can just do the “stand 8 inches from a mirror and look at a ruler” thing, right?

I want to relegate the Go to watching plex in bed after I take my contacts out.

Just remember the lenses in the glasses are going to be a different distance apart once used as inserts for a vr device. You probably want to order whatever is the centre of the lenses, or at least consider it.

If it's frame #550021 on zenni then they have a bridge of 26mm and lens width of 43mm so 26mm + 43mm = 69mm pd pair of glasses will supply you with lenses that have the focus in the centre of each lens that will line up with the centres of the lenses in the vr device once inserted.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jack Trades posted:

Bit the bullet and finally ordered an RTX 2060 because my current GTX 1060 can't even manage stable 45 fps in NMS.
Here's hoping that a 2060 would give me stable 90 on at least medium settings.

The 2060 is a good card, but chances are your performance is an issue with the game and not your hardware. Still, I hope it gets better! I'm using a 1080 and not having nearly any of the issues folks are having, and this is with textures, planet, and terrain tessalation set to Ultra and the Oculus Tray Tool configured with a NMS profile having 1.5x super sampling.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah nms has the most hosed technical implementation of vr since the initial release of fo4vr

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
NMS for some reason seems to assume you're sitting down. It's the first game I've played from a chair and it's fine. The static UI is weird but most stuff seems to work well. It's the most fun I've had in VR since the first few months I owned a headset.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just roleplay a paraplegic astronaut in a wheelchair.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I too have been having fun in NMS, and after my first 4 hour stint standing up (rip back of my knees, so straight and no movement) I’ve been doing it seated and it’s fine. The spaceship feels fantastic seated.
If they can tune the engine to do VR better it will be a real treat. Right now I have some pretty good settings and my perf is solid and very smooth even with streaming, but goddamn my settings are low and I’ve got a loving 9900k/2080ti

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a way to make the ship have realistic controls in NMS and not Star Fox controls?

Also it’s be great if they could make this thing run better on PC VR considering they got it to run smoothly on a drat PS4

ALSO I need someone to mod in a rear-view mirror for my helmet because I am not interested in getting snuck up on by weird looking aliens in VR thanks

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I just reminded myself that the first game I ever upgraded a PC for was Mechwarrior 2 and now I want to stomp around in a Battlemech in VR, an experience which would have given teen me playing in VGA on a 486 a giant boner.

Is there anything good for aspiring mechwarriors?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

I just reminded myself that the first game I ever upgraded a PC for was Mechwarrior 2 and now I want to stomp around in a Battlemech in VR, an experience which would have given teen me playing in VGA on a 486 a giant boner.

Is there anything good for aspiring mechwarriors?

Vox Machinae but it's multiplayer centric and dead, cool to experience though

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

Just roleplay a paraplegic astronaut in a wheelchair.

I've been semi pretending my ship sends out an ROV that I pilot, it works pretty well with the way the movement feels. Ignore the ambulatory hands!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

so Sony just bought Insomniac Games, who are making the until-now-Oculus branded Stormland.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I recently wrote up a short game design document for a VR virtual tabletop for playing RPGs. It would be a medium of playing RPGs but would allow the players to switch between perspectives of avatars sitting around the virtual table with figures, maps, dice, etc. and the RPG's game world as their characters. I'm just curious of other people's opinions on such a concept and hopefully get advice and suggestions on my document and idea.

Get into Character GDD (Google Doc comments should be enabled)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FBS posted:

so Sony just bought Insomniac Games, who are making the until-now-Oculus branded Stormland.

I'm trying to remember specific examples but I could swear in similar situations the exclusivity was grandfathered in due to contractual obligations. Stormland 2 would likely be multiplat though which is great.

Also lol another amazing pickup by Sony, their first and second party games have easily won this generation for them and it doesn't seem like Xbox is even trying.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

ShichiNoBushi posted:

I recently wrote up a short game design document for a VR virtual tabletop for playing RPGs

Okay, that was a lot longer than I had time to read through. Are you aware of an existing VR tabletop for playing board games? It looks like a customizable engine for almost anything that uses a flat surface, so you could probably work within that environment rather than design a competitor from the ground up.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

Grundulum posted:

Okay, that was a lot longer than I had time to read through. Are you aware of an existing VR tabletop for playing board games? It looks like a customizable engine for almost anything that uses a flat surface, so you could probably work within that environment rather than design a competitor from the ground up.

I was aware of Tabletop Simulator though didn't know it had acquired VR support. But the selling feature of what I have in mind is the ability to enter and simulate the world of the RPG and see the monsters you are fighting and area you are navigating. I also thought some of the addition of motion controls could add some elements such as acting and emoting as your characters and playing with things in the environment like other VR games I've played recently such as Star Trek: Bridge Crew and Blood & Truth.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

I too have been having fun in NMS, and after my first 4 hour stint standing up (rip back of my knees, so straight and no movement) I’ve been doing it seated and it’s fine. The spaceship feels fantastic seated.
If they can tune the engine to do VR better it will be a real treat. Right now I have some pretty good settings and my perf is solid and very smooth even with streaming, but goddamn my settings are low and I’ve got a loving 9900k/2080ti

Oddly I have everything on ULTRA HIGH MEGA and its smooth*. (same cpu/gpu)

I'll have to get back to you on hard FPS numbers, but low key its fine. I really think its one of those "works for me" kinda games. Cranking the FPS to 160 and turning off motion blur and AA basically fixes poo poo.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

After putting in 10 hours yesterday in NMS on a new Rift S with absolutely no issues of note, today the rift controls are 'sticking' for lack of a better term. If I turn, it stays turning even after I stop. It thinks I'm pressing buttons I haven't pressed. I'm just starting to search for solutions, but I'm wondering if anyone's encountered this? A reboot didn't help.

Edit: just tried a different VR game and it seems the Rift is the problem, not NMS. Same thing happening there.

Uppa fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 19, 2019

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Oddly I have everything on ULTRA HIGH MEGA and its smooth*. (same cpu/gpu)

I'll have to get back to you on hard FPS numbers, but low key its fine. I really think its one of those "works for me" kinda games. Cranking the FPS to 160 and turning off motion blur and AA basically fixes poo poo.

The game is whack as hell wrt performance, nothing makes sense. I think manually editing a config file and increasing the high threads to 6 and low threads to 12 on my 9900k smoothed it out a lot. I should try bumping graphical settings up some more now. I'm mostly on enhanced other than post process and something else.

FXAA is a huuuuuge visual quality improvement. TAA looks like rear end and performs like poo poo don't turn it on.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm just gonna wait until they patch NMS again.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

rage-saq posted:

FXAA is a huuuuuge visual quality improvement. TAA looks like rear end and performs like poo poo don't turn it on.

I keep seeing this and it's weird to me because I could have swore that FXAA was the lower quality/worse AA to use and TAA was a low cost way to sharpen edges without blurring the entire screen. TAA looks/works good in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Fallout 4 at least. Maybe I'll switch them tonight and see what's up.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

chaosapiant posted:

I keep seeing this and it's weird to me because I could have swore that FXAA was the lower quality/worse AA to use and TAA was a low cost way to sharpen edges without blurring the entire screen. TAA looks/works good in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Fallout 4 at least. Maybe I'll switch them tonight and see what's up.

Tech wise maybe, but in NMS VR it looks like total poo poo, it’s like you are looking at your HMD underwater.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

rage-saq posted:

Tech wise maybe, but in NMS VR it looks like total poo poo, it’s like you are looking at your HMD underwater.

Noted. I'm going to give it a whirl tonight just to see.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

The game is whack as hell wrt performance, nothing makes sense. I think manually editing a config file and increasing the high threads to 6 and low threads to 12 on my 9900k smoothed it out a lot. I should try bumping graphical settings up some more now. I'm mostly on enhanced other than post process and something else.

It feels a lot like Apex Legends with how weird it is. Runs great for some, Runs like trash and crashes all the time for others.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

Uppa posted:

After putting in 10 hours yesterday in NMS on a new Rift S with absolutely no issues of note, today the rift controls are 'sticking' for lack of a better term. If I turn, it stays turning even after I stop. It thinks I'm pressing buttons I haven't pressed. I'm just starting to search for solutions, but I'm wondering if anyone's encountered this? A reboot didn't help.

Edit: just tried a different VR game and it seems the Rift is the problem, not NMS. Same thing happening there.

I updated a few drivers and my mobo bios and the problem went away. Of course that doesn't explain why it worked perfectly fine yesterday and was broken today with no changes having been made, but at least it's behaving again.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I was changing my avatar in oculus home yesterday and was pretty impressed by the avatar lipsyncing what I was saying, seemed fairly accurate and even laughs if you laugh. Couldn’t get it to do a mean face though. Actually, really impressed considering how many games don’t do it nearly as well for pre-recorded voice acting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rage-saq posted:

Do you have a source for what you set your low and high threads to? I read on reddit to set my lowthreads to 0 and it turned everything into a choppy mess, which is exactly the opposite of what they said would happen.

Ryzen 5 2600x and a 1080ti if it matters

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

RE: IPD chat
I meassured 67 with the SteamVR ruler included on the manual. Got new glasses recently and I'm at 33.5 with the optician. I think we are all good you guys.

I measured my IPD at 64 with various rulers (I guess I'm lucky) and seem to be fine with WMR (fixed at 64). All that said with Vive/Index/Rift/Quest when we have a number I set it to 64, when I don't I set it to what looks clear. I'm not sure having the number really helps anything except it makes it nice quickly be able to set to not have to fiddle. I think getting within a mm +- is good enough.

The ruler method seems to work very well.

Also a good upgrade from Vive to Index is that with Vive sometimes shaking my head would change the number and it would flucuate between two numbers. Then I'd have to try to get it to stick in place.

Specs: GTX 1080, 6700k, didn't bother to even close background processes/chrome.

Index talk: The glare is a bit annoying, but not seeming screen door is huge, the sound is amazing and Serious Sam (the regular locomoting one) is AMAZING at 144 (some motion reinterpolated) on Index.

Simple graphics, high res, at 144 is IMHO the way to go in the short term for Index games.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I got the Reverb Pro and tried it out for an hour. I dicked around in Elite Dangerous for a few minutes and I just kept repeating 'holy poo poo' over and over. Stars are crisp. Screendoor is almost completely eliminated. There is no blur for distant objects.

Sidenote: I have a 59 ipd and the software worked fine to get it to work for me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spent a couple hours with No Man's Sky VR and a fresh save and fuckin' hell, that first time you take to space feels like a revelation. I'm shocked any of it works at all, but yet, it works pretty well. I'm sure they'll get performance smoothed out... in like, a year.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Hot take: The Knuckles are kinda... Ehhhh? I'm coming from OG Touches, and the analog sticks are just... really imprecise and terrible.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good to know, the Knuckles were my main reason for wanting an Index, but it looks like I lucked out with the Rift S.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Hot take: The Knuckles are kinda... Ehhhh? I'm coming from OG Touches, and the analog sticks are just... really imprecise and terrible.

I wouldn't go that far, but I would say the Knuckles and Touch controllers are pretty much the same (fine). Both are a huge upgrade from the Vive wands or WMR. Personally I'd say OG touch and Knuckles are the best controllers followed by the new Touch (balance is off) controllers.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Yea, decided to pull the trigger and order the Index headset for use with my OG Vive setup. For the record, I received both for free and we always felt OG Vive blew OG Rift out of the water. Very interested in a Quest eventually, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Stick100 posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but I would say the Knuckles and Touch controllers are pretty much the same (fine). Both are a huge upgrade from the Vive wands or WMR. Personally I'd say OG touch and Knuckles are the best controllers followed by the new Touch (balance is off) controllers.

Yeah, I've also used the Touch S controllers and they're actually worse than the Index ones. They just feel cheap and lovely, and always felt off, just like you said.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, I've also used the Touch S controllers and they're actually worse than the Index ones. They just feel cheap and lovely, and always felt off, just like you said.

Form Factor does kinda work better though. Even if they are cheap rear end plastic.

Fuzz posted:

I'm still trying to get them "Just right' for anything outside of beat saber. And beat saber I hold them so weird i use my thumbs for the trigger.

I kinda agree. They are a HUGE upgrade from wands, but touch was just more natural out of the gate.

I like my knuckles, But yeah. Kinda agree.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Form Factor does kinda work better though. Even if they are cheap rear end plastic.

I'm still trying to get them "Just right' for anything outside of beat saber. And beat saber I hold them so weird i use my thumbs for the trigger.

I kinda agree. They are a HUGE upgrade from wands, but touch was just more natural out of the gate.

I like my knuckles, But yeah. Kinda agree.

If you find your thumb is too high even after adjusting you're probably a good canidate for the "booster". I haven't tried it yet but bet it would help make the controls land a bit more neutral.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sucks that the OG touch controllers are stuck in a dead tracking system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

If you find your thumb is too high even after adjusting you're probably a good canidate for the "booster". I haven't tried it yet but bet it would help make the controls land a bit more neutral.

yeaaaah I need to get some printed.