Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

McNally could also give you another 6er to explain that he was wrong on that one.

He blew off my PM yesterday and hasn’t responded at all here so I don’t think he thinks he’s wrong. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've never understood why 6ers generated angry pms.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'm still pretty firmly of the opinion that resolving the biggest issues of policing requires solving the basic problem of how police are trained, funded, and managed.

Stop training cops like they're anti-terrorism units. Focus on community policing, teach de-escalation, and develop better training and policy around dealing with the mentally ill.

Remove the perverse incentives around tying funding to ticketing.

Build an independent federal-level organization under to DoJ to prosecute malfeasance, rather than relying on local prosecutors who risk their career if they push too hard because other police will sabotage cases in revenge.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I've never understood why 6ers generated angry pms.

I think it’s reasonable for me to be annoyed given how I was dogpiled and insulted by people who either can’t read or have an absolutely impossible standard of behavior for anecdotes from literally years ago. Being too high and mighty too apologize much less respond i think is also pretty silly.

I seriously doubt most of the people here would have dared to even bring it up, much less changed careers over that. It made my last few weeks there miserable too.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Yeah, I misread the post. My bad, man.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hot sorcery posted:

godholio you can’t use “good faith” to police (lol) other people’s responses and then post things like this!! i know you’re joking and don’t actually think that sums up my viewpoint but everyone feels strongly about this issue and it would be easy to read this as you being flippant or dismissive!

i’m chatting with arc light now, will respond to him properly in this thread tomorrow.

That was actually not about you at all.

Also :v: has been the sarcasm guy since forever, and I'm not downloading the sarcmark(TM) to make it any clearer.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

McNally posted:

Yeah, I misread the post. My bad, man.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe have a federally supported training program. I don't understand why its easier having a gun, than being trained as an EMT? And EMTs are more strict in applying protocol, and can lose their license.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I think it’s an artifact from the fact that police authority is an extension of state law while EMS was effectively created by the federal DOT from the get go.

Nowadays with our political climate no way states give up training/certification even though criminal law, use of force and police procedures are mostly universal and based upon federal rulings. Even though it would make more sense for at least the police training that isn’t about criminal law to be nationally standardized.

At the end of the day though I think the best solution is radical reform. At the very least cops should have ties and accountability directly to the people they patrol, and very low level formalized community organizations for each neighborhood or city block that have some actual ability to impact policy and hiring.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A massive push back to community policing- REAL community policing.

Anecdotal- I knew all the officers that worked my area as a young kid. I lived a few blocks from an area that was pretty bad at the time (if you are familiar, I lived a few blocks from O'Donnel Heights in the late 80s/early 90s)- bad enough the ice cream man had cages after getting robbed there. I saw my first man die while living in that apartment complex before I could write cursive. I point out the bad, because I remember those officers would actually dismount, and walk through the complex. The still used the traditional thumpers on leather thongs, and would do the Baltimore Baton, spinning it, flipping it as they walked. They showed the kids how, let them try. I remember them catching underage drinking a lot, but always ran the kid home, talked with the parents, or just ran them off. The victimiless poo poo they didn't seem to care about. Now, this is some old memories, so I'm forgetting a lot, but actually having cops talk to people as people, not as an investigative interaction was great.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Generally I'd say 1) decriminalize all drugs, police only deal with people who are high when they're being violent or trying to steal stuff, and then only long enough to stabilize the situation until health services can show up, 2) same with mental illness (and in both cases put a LOT more money into health services and make access universal and free).

Beyond that, standardized training (and a lot more of it, two-four years interspersed with apprentice style on the job training) for cops, and additional training if you want to carry a gun or be on SWAT (I'd say all SWAT teams are run by the state instead of each municipality having their own guys), and SWAT is reserved for their original purpose (barricaded shooters, hostage situations, etc).

If cops are still dealing with economic crimes (and I think that would be fine) explicitly include wage theft in the scope of that, and give enforcement of that an amount of resources corresponding to the share of economic crimes it makes up.

Finally, make local law enforcement beholden to local communities. Local democratically elected police oversight boards with subpoena power, disciplinary, firing, and charging power, and resources to conduct their own investigations.

And also probably pay cops more, but honestly pay everyone more, because a lot of (non white collar) crimes are more symptoms of poverty and would probably go away if everyone was usefully occupied at least 30 hours a week and secure in housing, health care, food, etc.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Bored As gently caress posted:

Whenever I see anyone post "abolish the police" it boggles my mind. Even "abolish the current criminal justice system and build a new one" is a pipe dream, although that is slightly less insane than just having no police force.

I'm not sure how society would function under such a system - vigilante justice and public lynchings?

How do you deal with, investigate, and prosecute kidnappings, murder, child abuse, child sex abuse, or other serious crimes?

How do you deal with situations like the following?
SWAT Fatally shoots kidnapper after he tries to make a run for it after a 2 hour standoff where negotiations failed?
https://youtu.be/fxYPp-OOJuQ

Cincinnati PD engage and kill an active shooter
https://youtu.be/UokZZSwNy_8

Cops engage active shooter
https://youtu.be/pGtrSpVKmyE

How would we deal with active shooter situations in a society without police? That's a serious question. Concealed pistol permit holders aren't everywhere at every time, and aren't trained to run towards the gunfire.

How about other kinds of terrorist attacks?

This is what always confuses me. What's supposed to happen when a citizen hurts another person in a fight? Who investigates and prosecutes organized crime? Who enforces court orders for protective custody?

I feel as though some cop-like structure would emerge, whether it's military police, privatized security and investigation, organized crime, or political party enforcers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

piL posted:

This is what always confuses me. What's supposed to happen when a citizen hurts another person in a fight? Who investigates and prosecutes organized crime? Who enforces court orders for protective custody?

I feel as though some cop-like structure would emerge, whether it's military police, privatized security and investigation, organized crime, or political party enforcers.

I've seen leftists on twitter post about how when they need help they just call the people they trust and get a group together for protection. I understand that transpersons and other members of the queer community have a distrust of the police, but I don't understand how that doesn't lead to lynch mobs and street gangs.

There will always be people who have to use physical force to enforce the rules of society. Even if you have whatever utopia ideal you propose, these issues will come up and at the end of the day the only way to enforce them is through physical force. Those people are cops. If you don't have them, then you're relying on your buddies to come through and help you enforce a rule or get justice. And then the perpetrator gets their buddies and does the same thing. It's all Montagues and Capulets, Hatfields and McCoys

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Best detailed policy breakdown I've seen from a leftist org on how they would like policing changed is the Movement for Black Lives:

https://policy.m4bl.org/

They have a lot of specific goals detailed out there. This is the one specifically on policing:

https://policy.m4bl.org/end-war-on-black-people/

These are the policy summaries, and they have more detail on federal, state, and local action that can be used to accomplish each:

quote:

End the War on Black People

We demand an end to the war against Black people. Since this country’s inception there have been named and unnamed wars on our communities. We demand an end to the criminalization, incarceration, and killing of our people. This includes:

An immediate end to the criminalization and dehumanization of Black youth across all areas of society including, but not limited to; our nation’s justice and education systems, social service agencies, and media and pop culture. This includes an end to zero-tolerance school policies and arrests of students, the removal of police from schools, and the reallocation of funds from police and punitive school discipline practices to restorative services.

An end to capital punishment.

An end to money bail, mandatory fines, fees, court surcharges and “defendant funded” court proceedings.

An end to the use of past criminal history to determine eligibility for housing, education, licenses, voting, loans, employment, and other services and needs.

An end to the war on Black immigrants including the repeal of the 1996 crime and immigration bills, an end to all deportations, immigrant detention, and Immigration and Custom Enforcement (ICE) raids, and mandated legal representation in immigration court.

An end to the war on Black trans, queer and gender nonconforming people including their addition to anti-discrimination civil rights protections to ensure they have full access to employment, health, housing and education.

An end to the mass surveillance of Black communities, and the end to the use of technologies that criminalize and target our communities (including IMSI catchers, drones, body cameras, and predictive policing software).

The demilitarization of law enforcement, including law enforcement in schools and on college campuses.

An immediate end to the privatization of police, prisons, jails, probation, parole, food, phone and all other criminal justice related services.

Until we achieve a world where cages are no longer used against our people we demand an immediate change in conditions and an end to all jails, detention centers, youth facilities and prisons as we know them. This includes the end of solitary confinement, the end of shackling of pregnant people, access to quality healthcare, and effective measures to address the needs of our youth, queer, gender nonconforming and trans families.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

I've seen leftists on twitter post about how when they need help they just call the people they trust and get a group together for protection. I understand that transpersons and other members of the queer community have a distrust of the police, but I don't understand how that doesn't lead to lynch mobs and street gangs.

There will always be people who have to use physical force to enforce the rules of society. Even if you have whatever utopia ideal you propose, these issues will come up and at the end of the day the only way to enforce them is through physical force. Those people are cops. If you don't have them, then you're relying on your buddies to come through and help you enforce a rule or get justice. And then the perpetrator gets their buddies and does the same thing. It's all Montagues and Capulets, Hatfields and McCoys

I don't want to debate this too thoroughly without the input of someone to properly defend it for fear of building a strawman. However, my concerns with that, beyond the dangers of mobs, is that it creates incredible restriction on travel (you don't have those connections with you in a different area), and supports localized minorities (i.e. those without of pluralities in the local area) even less. All of that will promote geographic segregation more successfully than is already accomplished.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Chichevache posted:

This used to be how advanced and powerful states: systems of justice and policing were mostly devolved to local clans, usually councils of elders. There's a guy named Ocalan who wrote about what a modern non-imperialisy version of this might look like, with respect for all hatfields and mccoys, even those that live in each other's towns. It was a matter of some interest to him, since he's Kurdish (and has been in a Turkish prison for years). a bunch of de facto "kurdistani" cities are really into him.

e: i can't make too spirited of a defense of this idea, but i'm sympathetic to it

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 17, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doc Hawkins posted:

This used to be how advanced and powerful states: systems of justice and policing were mostly devolved to local clans, usually councils of elders. There's a guy named Ocalan who wrote about what a modern non-imperialisy version of this might look like, with respect for all hatfields and mccoys, even those that live in each other's towns. It was a matter of some interest to him, since he's Kurdish (and has been in a Turkish prison for years). a bunch of de facto "kurdistani" cities are really into him.

e: i can't make too spirited of a defense of this idea, but i'm sympathetic to it

I'll look him up. I'm curious to see how he thinks this would work. I know that's how it often worked prior to the advent of modern policing. I still don't see how that doesn't devolve into the elites using the police for their own advantage. As a millenial I'm not feeling predisposed to trusting elders (boomers).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chichevache posted:

I'll look him up. I'm curious to see how he thinks this would work. I know that's how it often worked prior to the advent of modern policing. I still don't see how that doesn't devolve into the elites using the police for their own advantage. As a millenial I'm not feeling predisposed to trusting elders (boomers).

That is always going to be an issue until we manage to build a political system the rich can't afford to buy.

Since that's not happening any time soon, reform that is presently achievable can focus on making enforcement egalitarian, making punishment focused on reformation rather than punitive measures, and holding those responsible accountable when power is abused.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

And of course, elites currently use police for their advantage. That's explicitly how quite a bit of the current system is set up.

Not that I'm sure the Kurdish confederalist anarchism would work, but y'know.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Not to be "that guy" but relying on the mob to sort your poo poo is how warlords get started.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Doc Hawkins posted:

Rojava (where Ocalan is basically the head of state in exile) basically still has police though. And there basically isn’t a modern country that doesn’t have some kind of police system. So I think it’s really just the execution

Crakkerjakk posted:

And of course, elites currently use police for their advantage. That's explicitly how quite a bit of the current system is set up.

Not that I'm sure the Kurdish confederalist anarchism would work, but y'know.

The confederalist system is kinda all about municipalism, so there isn’t any one way it would work beyond each major area runs law enforcement and policy whatever way the local council decides so long as it generally follows their principles.

I think police are basically a reflection of the people who control the government, so if you have a broadly authentic democracy, you generally have good police. I was talking to a German cop and while German cops actually generally have more leeway for search and seizure there isn’t really any of the issues we have over here (according to him anyway) because most Germans actually feel like the police are held accountable, there is mutual trust, and are a beneficial institution. In pretty much every country that’s broadly egalitarian most people seem to trust the police rather than see them (and the police see themselves) as an occupying force or just defenders of “order” and private property.

You gotta remember that like 45% of Americans support a man who said that cops should physically abuse handcuffed suspects because it’s funny. America had the police America wants and deserves- white Americans anyway.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I wanted to bring this here because it illustrates one of the problems we keep talking about :

https://twitter.com/ErnieLies/status/1162741430424674305

Note the refusal to even speculate on the existence of responsibility to be assumed, to the point of writing in such a way that it appears that the truck a corrections officer drove into protesters (on video, I note) did so of its own volition.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
When the media goes to extreme lengths to avoid engaging in cop-chat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is very worth a read, and it's quick.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/an-interactive-guide-to-ambiguous-grammar

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wait why did you post the same tweet twice

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Liquid Communism posted:

I wanted to bring this here because it illustrates one of the problems we keep talking about :

Note the refusal to even speculate on the existence of responsibility to be assumed, to the point of writing in such a way that it appears that the truck a corrections officer drove into protesters (on video, I note) did so of its own volition.

Yeah, the dude is a piece of poo poo and he probably should have been arrested on the spot. That said, the journalists pussed out by not writing "confections officer allegedly hit protesters with a truck". The media in this country has been pretty gutless and ineffective for the past decade at least. It only gets worse as social media and internet news kills old media.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, the dude is a piece of poo poo and he probably should have been arrested on the spot. That said, the journalists pussed out by not writing "confections officer allegedly hit protesters with a truck". The media in this country has been pretty gutless and ineffective for the past decade at least. It only gets worse as social media and internet news kills old media.

Agreed, but I'll admit I've never seen confections officers go bad before.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Arc Light posted:

Agreed, but I'll admit I've never seen confections officers go bad before.

You don't want to, bro. Trust me. One time, I saw a CO use vinegar in place of sugar on a cupcake recipe. Made me sick to my stomach. You know you'll see rough stuff in this line of work, but nothing prepares you for that kind of sight. I didn't even go home that night. I just got in my car and drove for hours. I woke up in a TJ Maxx parking lot two counties over with two half eaten boxes of Krispy Kreme in my car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Liquid Communism posted:

That's how a lot of those articles get written. To make sure I wasn't just falsely remembering, I just looked up the Nice truck attacks, a similar event in NY, and some other I've already forgotten. "*vehicle* drives into crowd" is how a lot of these headlines read.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 18, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Wait why did you post the same tweet twice

What? That’s not a tweet.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

What? That’s not a tweet.

I was a making a joke

Implying the news tweet was itself a guide to being ambiguous.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

NYPD press conference at 1230.

buckle up

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Smiling Jack posted:

NYPD press conference at 1230.

buckle up

Did something just go down? I've been traveling the last couple days and I missed whatever kicked this off.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The video that came out a few days ago from the union calling crime the new entitlement for black people and how trump is taking the correct approach to them.

On a different note the cops in texas who tied a black guy to a horse and made him walk to the wherever are back on the street with no investigation done.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Arc Light posted:

Did something just go down? I've been traveling the last couple days and I missed whatever kicked this off.

Decison on firing of Eric Garner cop

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Was eric garner the guy who got choked to death for cigarettes while saying i cant breathe or was he the guy who got his back/neck broken while chained up inside a parked police van?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Stravag posted:

Was eric garner the guy who got choked to death for cigarettes while saying i cant breathe or was he the guy who got his back/neck broken while chained up inside a parked police van?

The first. The second was Freddy Gray in Baltimore.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Uhhhhh...

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

poo poo i missed the part of a cops job responsibilities to choke people to death. My bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
lol that Union dude just lusts for black deaths, doesn't he? Oh well, he's good for the guys in the union