Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
"Behold my Stand『Goodbye Horses』! With it, I, Johnny Joestar can attract and repel hoofed animals!"
And then by the end it's strong enough to summon animals where none were before and there are chapter interludes explaining them, like a page about the Ibex and how an Ibex could possibly help them out of whatever pickle he's in today. Johnny wins the Steel Ball Run by dropping a bison on top of Dio because as it turns out it is very hard to get a lot done when there are 3500 lbs of angry mammal crushing your spine.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Dragonwagon posted:

Those of you reading this for the first time, what do you think Johnny's power is going to be?

trick question, maybe he never gets one

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CJ posted:

Walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
He's gonna be real good at horsin' around.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Johnny’s Stand is gonna be revealed as Gyro, and Gyro was never actually a real person.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Johnny's stand is gonna be named [oops I did it again] and will let him double any action taken by anyone within 20 ft

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Alright I read this a little early again so Ill wait before posting much but its been an absolute treat to revisit this stretch of chapters and I think Scary Monsters Pt 1 is one of my favorite chapters in anything Jojo related

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I posted earlier about how I loved the look of the color scans, and that's still true, but I forgot how weird the first volume or so looks in terms of the color and general art style

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like i posted earlier, i've been reading the upcoming segments on the weekend before. if any anime-only people were wondering when steel ball run was going to kick into full, 100% high gear jojo then this second week is absolutely it. i'm hype for y'all's reactions starting tomorrow.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Arist posted:

I posted earlier about how I loved the look of the color scans, and that's still true, but I forgot how weird the first volume or so looks in terms of the color and general art style

yeah, that's a thing to note for anyone who started out with the colored ones. they get legit gorgeous later but something's slightly up with the start of it all.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've noticed that the early volumes are in some odd midpoint between the late Part 6 art style and the Part 7 onward style, the increasing detail is showing up but it's mixed with the...I guess rougher? more angular? character designs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Funky Valentine posted:

I've noticed that the early volumes are in some odd midpoint between the late Part 6 art style and the Part 7 onward style, the increasing detail is showing up but it's mixed with the...I guess rougher? more angular? character designs.

This part was still in Weekly Jump for the first like, 5 volumes, so the art quality dramatically improves after the jump to Ultra Jump since Araki gets more time to polish. That said, yeah, coming right off the heels of Part 6, its no surprise that early SBR looks like late Stone Ocean :v:.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

AAA I'm gon a take my horse to the jojo tOwn road

Sorry I am posting real bad

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's just the adventurous spirit of the steel ball run you're channeling

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

that's just the adventurous spirit of the steel ball run you're channeling

The spin! I'm leaning into the spin!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Alright, heres my Jojo-thoughts!

I remember reading this little snippet a long time ago about Arakis experiences in the midwest and the very first page from this batch of chapters immediately made me think about it. Mountain Tim has been pursuing Johnny and Gyro for three hours, and theyve maintained the same distance between themselves that entire time. There really is nowhere to run and nowhere to hide out in the arizona desert.

Alright, Boom Boom Family thoughts: I said it last week but I love how Mountain Tims stand is represented and the way his body is drawn when he sections himself out across his rope. With the Boom Boom family Araki continues to play with stand concepts he explored before, while the self attraction between protags was used as a gag during Bastet he instead turns it into a deadly situation here. Johnny shouting about how his veins were ripping apart seriously hosed with me, lol, that sounded incredibly painful and gross. I loved the Boom Boom family shouting excitedly about getting a new record on intestine flight distance, lol. Araki really knows how to make minor villains funny and memorable. The conclusion to this isnt anything great, Johnny gets his stand and thats that. Its pretty incredible that it took until Volume 4 for the word Stand to even show up.

Oyecomova: I never noticed the stars and stripes makeup until I read the colored scans, good poo poo. Here weve got our revisitation of Killer Queen, as the fight goes on it feels like Araki took all the little edge cases of stuff Kira could have exploded and never got a chance to work into the story, and just ran with it. What if we turned water into bombs? An entire wasps nest? The Air? I love the little clock grenade pins, and they way they looked oozing out from around Gyros hand and the steel ball when they were materializing in his sweat. Mountain Tim separating himself just to look like he got exploded was slick as hell and one of those hundreds of little details I didnt remember coming back in.

Pork Pie Hat Kid: Beach Boy comes back! Beach Boy felt like it was focused on the rod and the line, but Pork Pie Hat Kids stand is more "bait" focused, since they brought up bait so often I couldnt be too surprised that Gyro ended up having hooks flying out of him towards the end. The visuals in this fight are great and I really want to see this one animated. The vultures flying overhead with really sinister looking hooks dangling out of them is just creepy imagery, that scene in particular would look incredible when we get to watch it in 2024. The hooks slapping around trying to find Johnny while he was under the rock was a great little moment too. The turnabout in this fight, with Johnny using his nails to carve a little Johnny from a dead tree is one of those great little asspull reversals, I have no idea how I dont remember a thing about this fight because I like it a TON on a revisit.

The Race: Sadly this section of the race wasnt as exciting as the first portion, but we did get to see Stroheim eat poo poo. For some reason I thought the german baron in the automobile was the Stroheim so it made me happy to see him with his Guile hair and gunhand showing up in the race. The excitement in this section was more around Stephen Steel and the President, but since I already know where the stuff about the corpse, the race, and the president is going Ill refrain from commenting on the mystery, I dont want to get too wink wink nudge nudge. All Im gonna say is the reveal of who Steel was talking to, ending in "Yes sir... mr president of the united states" gave me real Metal Gear Solid vibes, lol.

Scary Monsters: Oh my GOD this is the chapter Id been waiting for. Diego telling lovely jokes, dancing around on his horse, swallowing rocks, snatching the fly out of the air with the smug fuckin look on his face and totally being unable to see the coffee cup, I really really love Scary Monsters Part 1. Diegos dinosaur design is awesome too, with the ripped mouth while hes still human and the DIODIODIODIODIODIO markings down his back and tail when hes in dinosaur form. I remember being extremely shocked on my first readthrough that A) Diego doesnt have The World and B) he got a DINOSAUR stand instead. Its just so good. Gyro has some good moments in the fight so far, including "I flattened my leg with the spin", lmao. I love the way he looks and talks while getting monsterized too. I honestly dont remember how this fight concludes and im gonna go nuts having to wait a week to finish it. Oh also, they were heading towards "Mt. Footloose" before detouring to the mining town, which made me giggle.

e: Oh yea, how bullshit is that millennium kingdom stuff? I find it incredibly hard to believe that theres only been two states that existed for more than 1000 years and they were both in Italy, ESPECIALLY since Gyro just mentioned the Byzantines (ahem, the romans) like, a page or two beforehand.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 19, 2019

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Hmm yes this guy looks perfectly normal, not suspicious or anything.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

holy drat what a cliffhanger this week

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gyro's Lessons:

Lesson 3: Trust the spin.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlAZf1sv0TQ

Pork Pie Hat Kid.avi

Meme Emulator posted:

e: Oh yea, how bullshit is that millennium kingdom stuff? I find it incredibly hard to believe that theres only been two states that existed for more than 1000 years and they were both in Italy, ESPECIALLY since Gyro just mentioned the Byzantines (ahem, the romans) like, a page or two beforehand.
Egypt and China both were independent for more than a thousand years for starters.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 19, 2019

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Accordion Man posted:

Pork Pie Hat Kid.avi
Egypt and China both were independent for more than a thousand years for starters.

I was thinking about both of them but I guess you could argue theyve all been controlled by outside forces for times during thier 1000 year stretch, the Nubians for the Egyptians and the Mongolians for the Chinese.

Although im googling now and Chinese unification happened in 200BC and the Yuan Dynasty was 1200AD sooooo thats still 1400 years before a foreign interruption.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I forgot just how brutal the Boom Boom Family fight is, and how out of the blue Johnny's stand appears. It's definitely one of the best examples of "This stand seems useless until it's applied". Being able to spin your fingernails seems like a joke of a stand...and the first thing it does is blow Boom Boom Sr's leg clean off.

And now we have the big exposition dump as to Gyro's backstory.

Also, as of Oyecomova, we're officially into Ultra Jump, not Shonen Jump anymore! So the chapters will be longer and the art gets distinctly better.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 19, 2019

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Speaking of Oyecomova and legs being blown off, I forgot just how hosed up both Gyro and Mountain Tim get in that fight, the two page spread of Gyro's leg exploding is some great Jojo.

Edit : Gyro can deny it all he likes but the zombie horse is definitely his father's Stand.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 19, 2019

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh man, we've timed an absolute motherfucker of a cliffhanger this week :allears:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I forgot how hilarious the lead up to the Dio fight is. The dumb snake jokes, the horse acrobatics, the panel where he flips his head around at Johnny and his coffee blindness absolutely slayed me.

I love it when Araki draws weirdos doing weird things.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i forgot how quickly and readily they just lay out the actual, overarching reason behind why the race was funded

so yeah. holy mummy bits. welcome to jojo.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Yeah, I was surprised at how Johnny just figures the whole thing out the moment someone goes for the arm.

First-timers, make a wild guess about who the corpse is.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Dragonwagon posted:

Yeah, I was surprised at how Johnny just figures the whole thing out the moment someone goes for the arm.

Compared to how badly a lot of JJBA protagonists fumble about trying to figure out enemy attacks or plans, Johnny's intellect/instincts at figuring that sort of poo poo out is underappreciated imo.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I remember the first time I read this section, I said “oh my god they blew up mountain tim” out loud

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

NickRoweFillea posted:

I remember the first time I read this section, I said “oh my god they blew up mountain tim” out loud

I’ve never seen the manga panel for Shigechi’s first detonation but it reminded of that scene from the anime anyway - oof.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
The faces that go with the opera comment right at the end are :allears:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dragonwagon posted:

Uhh, well the map was made by Joseph of Arimathea, and there's basically only one holy body he was really strongly associated with. It's almost too obvious.

Gyro I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give you a B- on that history report. Alexandria was controlled by the Abbasid Caliphate at the time. That's why they stole the body! you know aside from the rad magic corpse powers

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

The faces that go with the opera comment right at the end are :allears:

The discussion about opera glasses introduces one of the best bits of Pt7: the weird downtime Seinfeldian conversations between Johnny and Gyro. They're both incredibly strange guys and they talk about incredibly strange things. Araki has such a talent for writing just weird bullshit banter between friends.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Dio. :stare:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATMR5ettHz8

paragon1 posted:

Uhh, well the map was made by Joseph of Arimathea, and there's basically only one holy body he was really strongly associated with. It's almost too obvious.

Gyro I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give you a B- on that history report. Alexandria was controlled by the Abbasid Caliphate at the time. That's why they stole the body! you know aside from the rad magic corpse powers

Joshua bar Joseph.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 20, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

don't say that you love me~

just tell me that you want me~

also the astute will have noticed that pork pie hat kid was foreshadowed on the train segment with valentine. he was stationed on the roof of the train and tasked with keeping the map safe just in case.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTsbcZpH2VI

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

NickRoweFillea posted:

Yeah it got me too for a sec, there's enough cool characters around that Araki could've easily spared one as a sacrifice for shock value!

Turning the goddamn air into bombs is some bullshit though, I tell you what. :cheeky: (not in the Giorno sense or nothing, just in a "drat, he's overpowered" sense)

Dino Dio is amazing. I don't know why this total veer away from time powers to dinosaurs fits him so well, but it does. Is it just cause of the dino/Dio pun? Or is it because him becoming less human to be a cool dinosaur is sort of on the same level as becoming a cool vampire? That backstory has me kinda rooting for him, which is a problem since I'm also rooting for Sandman and Gyro+Johnny. And Pocoloco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

is Gyro helping Johnny aim his legs here?

While we're on the topic, not sure what to make of Tusk so far - while it's already been handy to be firing something that's Spin-infused, so far it's not that different than Gyro's steel balls... he just has more of them. It seems like a contrast to Gold Experience, Crazy Diamond, and Star Platinum at any rate, since all of these seemed relatively overpowered compared to their immediate peers almost out of the gate.