Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Colostomy Bag posted:

Need to pull up her early ones from '16 or so.

She's changed man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Lots of rumors that turbulent was the one manufacturing most or all "vertical slice" stuff

ah... hosed up if true

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

there's gonna be some dumb scripted mission that will have a big firefight ala rex. They won't say it, but the enemy side will be player controlled but they will try to imply its ai without saying that (and getting caught in a lie). Maybe even going so far as to talking a lot about their progress on npc ai just before/after.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

skeletors_condom posted:

One of the citizens made a better set of predictions than any of us (albeit in an indirect manner):

The thread got shut down by the mods. :)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They don't even need to manufacture hype when people pull it out of their rear end, huh

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cripes, back in 2016 Lesnick played through all the drat levels.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Sillybones posted:

Don't forget they have probably had a total of weeks of meetings discussing one point: how to get as much money out of these idiots as possible this citcon. This is what they are good at. Expect them to succeed. They will release some ship or some other bullshit that is going to turn off every rational part of the backers minds. The marks are going to take out loans, steal and scrounge for every cent they can to throw at CIG.

What I am saying is, aim high for your estimate. At least make it more than last years take.

But is this something that they're actually good at? I think as far as CIG goes you can modify that old saying to something like "Never assign to competence what can be attributed to accident".

They accidentally tapped into a market of white supremacist misogynists with spare (maybe?) cash that are willing to shovel it into a dream of living in a world where they don't have to interact with those damned libruls and can pay their way to respect. Chris Roberts could be revealed for the first time in 6 months solely to take a dump on stage and then successfully sell it to them in 5 variants in stand-alone and combo packages.

The Anvil Ballista may as well have been that and it sold like hotcakes.

I guess what I'm saying is that Citizens are bad.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Vistors to the thread may not realise that this was March 2016.

Three months became three years with nary a whisper.

Fidelitious posted:

They accidentally tapped into a market of white supremacist misogynists with spare (maybe?) cash that are willing to shovel it into a dream of living in a world where they don't have to interact with those damned libruls and can pay their way to respect.

While you can find the Star Citizen deplorable fairly easily, I wouldn't fall into the trap of assuming that they're all of the same mentality, ideology or ideation. Sure there are some people taking the whole thing very seriously, and gaming in general has become a cess-pool of people who understand history through the lens of Electronic Arts, but they're as much a cross-section of society as the rest of us.

On the other hand, it's constantly depressing to watch the right wing views coming out of someone that failed to get the central joke to WH40K; There are no good guys.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 19, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
"See you in the 'Verse" loses more and more meaning every year doesn't it? lol

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Wait for it

https://clips.twitch.tv/DarkGloriousShallotSpicyBoy

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Man the usual whale pacification strategies are just not working at all.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Does anyone with an account want to sign up and ram their ship into the Caterpillar for fun?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

WTF, I don't see anything about the consequences of space piracy, or the rules and win/lose conditions for space rape or the most important part what to do when the server shits the bed and everything crashes.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
over the weekend I dug out the credentials of my old secondary account and played for a while for the first time since getting a refund on my main account in 2015. I'm vaguely surprised it's as put together as it is, but here's an out of order list of thoughts/problems/bugs I came up with in about three hours.
  • an Aurora (mine? same ship, though i hadn't recalled it but nobody else came for it) dancing on its rear end end half-stuck in the landing platform at Olisar for 10 straight minutes.
  • also, like, several dozen ships hovering in the same position away from the platform but pointed at it, as if perpetually frozen when trying to land. there was always at least two when i went to Olisar, of all different varieties
  • Flying a fedex mission to some moon or other and arriving only to find that the box had fallen out of my ship and into space 40 fuckin million kilometers ago for no reason
  • exiting the quantum thing and detonating out of the blue, multiple times
  • landing and falling through the ground for a moment, then glitching, resetting to the surface, and bouncing into some nearby scenery, wrecking the ship
  • cockpit panels glitching out and being unable to display any items for one of the menus (power? can't remember) for no clear reason
  • also this quantum travel poo poo, I never want to hear anyone whine about Elite taking forever to get to a planet again. I started off one time and went downstairs to make quesadillas for lunch and when i got back I was only halfway there.
  • the good old 'zero gee, then stepping gently onto a platform and dying' trick
  • completely empty hangar until I noticed those weird little placement balls all over, which is a ridiculous UX design choice
  • something unidentified in the hangar with a red ball and the REPLACE text on it, no idea what but here we are 7? 8 years in and those are still around
  • being dropped out of QT after ten minutes of waiting, and finding that it reset me to the position I started
  • someone spamming 'retrieve my ship for me' quests, offering a payout of 1cr per minute spent on the task.
  • got to watch multiple people ragequit from chat over how broken the game was, or upset that there was another DB wipe, while basically everyone else still trying tried to remind them it was pre-alpha

on the upside, i do really like the environment layouts at a few of these locations.

in conclusion, star citizen is a land of contrasts, and i'll give it another 4 years before i try the pre-beta.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Is that the :airquote:jokes:airquote: website where he uses the N-word, but ironically, so that makes it okay?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Krycek posted:

Is that the :airquote:jokes:airquote: website where he uses the N-word, but ironically, so that makes it okay?

Jokes aside, it's his old Wing Commander website buddies. He's pretty much checked out of Star Citizen since he got sent to live on a farm up state.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hey, Bens got a blue tick

I bet Sandi is raging

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I've been gradually getting more hype for WoW Classic as people at my office keep talking about it.

Really glad it has Lethality's stamp of disapproval, now it has a shot

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

he's not that wrong on some level... in the 00s and early 10s, there were loving TONS of big budget online games that all tried to mimic wow in some way or another that are now either shut down or on life support for the last decade because everyone just saw it was wow with less content and polish and promptly hosed off back to wow and the big publishers only want the biggest bucks

otoh, there always was enough smaller mmos around that didn't follow that mould, and there's not many MMOs around. if you want to see alternatives there's an exhaustive list on wiki, so i don't see really see his point. unless you only follow mainstream news for your MMOs i guess, you'd miss non-wow non-bigbudget poo poo like that.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Sarsapariller posted:

Man the usual whale pacification strategies are just not working at all.
As usual they haven't quite thought critically about their data comparisons. They talk about how Star Citizen "only" has 500 people working on it and that Rockstar had 2000 developers and another 1000 outside contractors during its dev cycle on RDR2 so they don't have the same resources. Star Citizen is a little indie company.

The obvious mistake is that Star Citizen has 500 people currently working on it. Over the 7+ years there have been many more that were employed and worked on the project and departed for other pastures. Numerous sub-contractors that were never entirely disclosed etc. Given the insane staff turnover that Star Citizen has the numbers are probably not far apart and it's still early days.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Truga posted:

he's not that wrong on some level... in the 00s and early 10s, there were loving TONS of big budget online games that all tried to mimic wow in some way or another that are now either shut down or on life support for the last decade because everyone just saw it was wow with less content and polish and promptly hosed off back to wow and the big publishers only want the biggest bucks

otoh, there always was enough smaller mmos around that didn't follow that mould, and there's not many MMOs around. if you want to see alternatives there's an exhaustive list on wiki, so i don't see really see his point. unless you only follow mainstream news for your MMOs i guess, you'd miss non-wow non-bigbudget poo poo like that.

The thing is, the nostalgia I'm hearing for Classic WoW is basically for all the parts of the game that weren't that themepark. People are actually looking forward to unbalanced classes and obscure quests and long leveling times with tons of experimental "Maybe it would be cool" poo poo thrown throughout the world with no regard for endgame effects.

When it came out it absolutely was the inspiration for a million me-too MMO's, but the part that they copied was the streamlined bullshit, and they mostly did it very poorly and their games became cookie-cutter build and afk-while-lfg sims. The part of CW that people actually seem to want is the part that feels like a jumbled poorly-thought-out mess, because being so messy and obscure allowed a lot more interesting stuff to happen. I'm not entirely sure that it's what people will actually get, but I do agree that the experimental nature of the world was definitely lost in later expansions.

Ironically it's the exact thing that Lethality keeps saying he wants in modern MMO's except that without the content, polish or publisher backing they all turn out to be giant cash-shop turds and everyone quits.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
They want obscure broken unintuitive stuff that only they have the secret knowledge of because they are super smart and intelligent and also play 12 hours a day, same reason people like to get in on early access etc.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shrach posted:

As usual they haven't quite thought critically about their data comparisons. They talk about how Star Citizen "only" has 500 people working on it and that Rockstar had 2000 developers and another 1000 outside contractors during its dev cycle on RDR2 so they don't have the same resources. Star Citizen is a little indie company.

The obvious mistake is that Star Citizen has 500 people currently working on it. Over the 7+ years there have been many more that were employed and worked on the project and departed for other pastures. Numerous sub-contractors that were never entirely disclosed etc. Given the insane staff turnover that Star Citizen has the numbers are probably not far apart and it's still early days.

Could we even estimate that? What would be a reasonable turnover rate, 10 % a year post-establishing? Do we know at least some big contractors (Illfonic, their website/video company I just forgot the name of) numbers?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

I've been gradually getting more hype for WoW Classic as people at my office keep talking about it.

My wife and I both played the beta, and WOW Classic isn't just living on nostalgia alone. It's offering people a known quantity, and it makes it rather unique in the live services arena: you know what you're getting.

There's a reason people keep old box games around, there's a reason GOG took off like it did. Old games don't just die forever. People still play pac-man, people still run through classics like FF VI. (III?) It's the same as reading old books or watching a film you've seen before. The problem with live services is that even if you find one you like, patches and changes mean you might not like it a month from now. Or a year from now.

Classic WOW offers the "old boxed game" experience in an online, live-services format. Runescape did the same thing to great success. People arguing about it being an old game or any of a million other arguments are missing the point gloriously. The point is that live service games have a lifecycle - they can die. City of Heroes, Earth & Beyond, and so on. They change as they get old and one day they're gone forever. Now developers and publishers are seeing that online retro-gaming, whether fueled by nostalgia or not, can make money.

It's also having the effect that people who never played WOW (maybe they weren't born yet) are trying it out and a surprising number are finding they prefer it to the live game. Just like there are kids now who prefer old music (because they heard it in Bioshock or something) or old books (because they read on IMDB that a recent film was a remake of a remake inspired by it.)

I'm a fan of more choice out there, even if most of it is fluff. Better to have too many choices and maybe make the wrong one, than have no choice at all.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 19, 2019

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scruffpuff posted:

My wife and I both played the beta, and WOW Classic isn't just living on nostalgia alone. It's offering people a known quantity, and it makes it rather unique in the live services arena: you know what you're getting.

There's a reason people keep old box games around, there's a reason GOG took off like it did. Old games don't just die forever. People still play pac-man, people still run through classics like FF VI. (III?) It's the same as reading old books or watching a film you've seen before. The problem with live services is that even if you find one you like, patches and changes mean you might not like it a month from now. Or a year from now.

Classic WOW offers the "old boxed game" experience in an online, live-services format. Runescape did the same thing to great success. People arguing about it being an old game or any of a million other arguments are missing the point gloriously. The point is that live service games have a lifecycle - they can die. City of Heroes, Earth & Beyond, and so on. They change as they get old and one day they're gone forever. Now developers and publishers are seeing that online retro-gaming, whether fueled by nostalgia or not, can make money.

It's also having the effect that people who never played WOW (maybe they weren't born yet) are trying it out and a surprising number are finding they prefer it to the live game. Just like there are kids now who prefer old music (because they heard it in Bioshock or something) or old books (because they read on IMDB that a recent film was a remake of a remake inspired by it.)

I'm a fan of more choice out there, even if most of it is fluff. Better to have too many choices and maybe make the wrong one, then have no choice at all.

Unironically :five:

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Star Citizen: government contracting level of bid mismanagement

This is quality content.

I mean not because it's lul-worthy, but because it absolutely correct, it's serious, and it seems the SC Reddit may finally beginning to grasp it.

The other quality content I enjoyed was this :

The Reddit is starting to understand that Chris is losing (or has lost) control of the project, and where that line of reasoning leads.

The realisation that Chris may have squandered a quarter of a billion of other people's money, thousands of dollars of MY money (not really me I haven't bought poo poo).

Pay to win went out the window a long time ago, the Pledge is in tatters, the last refuge for cultists was that SC is publisher free. But now it's dawning that CIG has a publisher under another name, Calder calling some shots.

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 19, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

reverend crabhands posted:

The Reddit is starting to understand that Chris is losing (or has lost) control of the project, and where that line of leads.

The realisation that Chris may have squandered a quarter of a billion of other people's money, thousands of dollars of MY money (not really me I haven't bought poo poo).

Pay to win went out the window a long time ago, the Pledge is in tatters, the last refuge for cultists was that SC is publisher free. But now it's dawning that CIG has a publisher under another name, Calder calling some shots.

I see they're still strugging with "who owns what percentage of the company" concept. Calders owns 10%, Chris owns 75%, so Chris "wins." Except that's not how anything works. Calders own 10% of the valuation of the company, a valuation arrived at by arcane measurements of current capital (physical and liquid) and projected income if delivery occurs and meets projected income. The actual real-world situation is very different. Calders owns almost 100% of the current operating capital of CIG. Which means if Calders says "gently caress it, we're out, and we're taking what's left of our money" then CIG is done at that very moment.

Screaming "but 10%!" into the void doesn't change that.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

reverend crabhands posted:

This is quality content.

I mean not because it's lul-worthy, but because it absolutely correct, it's serious, and it seems the SC Reddit may finally beginning to grasp it.

The other quality content I enjoyed was this :

The Reddit is starting to understand that Chris is losing (or has lost) control of the project, and where that line of leads.

Some people would probably argue that Chris was never really "in control" of the project.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Back in the day people used to _pay_ to play MMOs. It's become really difficult to attract the kind of whales that play MMOs to make the outlay even close to profitable.

This was, of course, before CiG hit on the genius idea of pre-charging.

Now you'll see people justify a couple of years subscription charges on something where the specification you paid for is subject to change, whim and them suddenly finding out that the role designed for won't exist.

It's no mistake that the people that can block out an afternoon to run a raid are also the same people suggesting that flight times are fine and dandy.

Sarsapariller posted:

Ironically it's the exact thing that Lethality keeps saying he wants in modern MMO's except that without the content, polish or publisher backing they all turn out to be giant cash-shop turds and everyone quits.

The arc seems to be that they model for a certain amount of post-launch income, but when that doesn't actually materialize - due to competition and linear extrapolation - it goes through it's initial post-launch schedule of updates, then someone notices that the wage bill is higher than revenue, and NCSoft gets a call. Or any one of the current MMO graveyards.

In fact, the MMO crowd themselves appear to have ended up moving on in terms of gaming to more casual drop-in/drop-out, with the hardcore still alarm-clocking in Eve online.

I am completely ignoring the China, Taiwan and Japan in this hot take, as they're generally slightly more closed to western users.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sarsapariller posted:

Not just a shot but will be wildly successful as he rages.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hav posted:

The arc seems to be that they model for a certain amount of post-launch income, but when that doesn't actually materialize - due to competition and linear extrapolation - it goes through it's initial post-launch schedule of updates, then someone notices that the wage bill is higher than revenue, and NCSoft gets a call. Or any one of the current MMO graveyards.

The upside to this is that as infrastructure technology moves along, older limitations end up getting blown past, meaning you can service an old online game for a fraction of the cost of an up-to-date game. Toss in one or two servers which far exceed the capacity people were accustomed to in the past, but charge them the exact same fee you'd charge for expensive current services, and you've got a very profitable recipe in your hands.

I can see this becoming a new online-services baseline style. Online game comes out, is relatively popular, now here comes an expansion pack that not everyone is on board with. Maybe it changes too much about the game, maybe it "breaks" someone's favorite character or playstyle. Not to worry! 90% of the servers will move to the new expansion but we'll keep 10% of them as "classic" servers and you can stay there if you prefer it. Do this for each expansion.

Sounds like a lot of extra overhead, but in a sense it's actually less overhead. The old code is frozen - you can choose to refactor it if you like (WOW classic isn't actually the original code, it's an emulator running on their current code, an interesting situation) but it's not necessary.

"But you're fragmenting the playerbase!" And? Better to keep all the fragments under your umbrella and get paid by all of them than to see them split off to other companies.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 19, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

Back in the day people used to _pay_ to play MMOs. It's become really difficult to attract the kind of whales that play MMOs to make the outlay even close to profitable.

Ehh, MMOs definitely still have whales. I play ff14 and just pay the sub, but there's even goons who buy poo poo from the cash shop, and there's a ton of people who buy *everything* from the cash shop. Also, fantasia addicts lmao.

Mind, this is all totally hosed, I'd rather see just a sub or even better a way to pay for extra content as a single purchase (see: guild wars), and no cash shop at all, but unfortunately that ship sailed.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hav posted:

In fact, the MMO crowd themselves appear to have ended up moving on in terms of gaming to more casual drop-in/drop-out, with the hardcore still alarm-clocking in Eve online.

I mean that's me in a nutshell. The only MMO that's received more than five hours of my attention in the last two years has been Orbus and that's only because I found the novelty of a VR-only MMO very intriguing- otherwise, it was same poo poo different display format.

Star Citizen really is a bastion for a lot of the gamedads hoping to relive that glory era. I'm curious how many of them will outright reject something like WoW Classic coming back while simultaneously supporting the same obscured, grindy gameplay in the game they dump their mortgage checks into.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
Hell that 46M for 10% could has a clause of turning into 100% for a missed deadline/revenue target. I still seriously doubt the full payment from the calders has been delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Could we even estimate that? What would be a reasonable turnover rate, 10 % a year post-establishing? Do we know at least some big contractors (Illfonic, their website/video company I just forgot the name of) numbers?
I'm sure Chris has noted them all down to include them in the credits for the game and its full release. As with any estimates in Star Citizen, Chris Roberts is the definition of floccinaucinihilipilification.

In a few weeks we should get the UK accounts for year ended December 2018. They just changed the year end of CI Rights Ltd to bring it in line with the other companies so the group accounts are probably in preparation right now. We'll see a bit more of how the UK group handled the $23m investment and possible disclosures/ring-fencing.