Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Legs Benedict posted:

why do either of you give a poo poo

This?

Like the game has shortcomings but outside of bugs the arguments against seem to be some flavor of "No, you're not actually having fun."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I only just got this with the update ( a friend gifted it to me actually) and it's just proving to be a fun thing to play with friends, even if you aren't constantly working together, it's got a bit of the minecraft sandbox vibe but with a bit more systems and structures to provide goals. So some of us might be loving around making a base while another digs up fossils and the other is doing a bunch of trading to make big bucks.

It's not to dismiss criticisms, but I think this fills a niche by being a bunch of things at once.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
do you stand outside of venues for bands you dont like and yell at the people going in about how much the band they like sucks

just seems like you could be way more productive with this weird energy instead of harshing other people's mellow

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am genuinely trying to get what is going on in people's brains that allows them to be immersed in this game because I do not remotely understand it at all. It's literally like I'm watching an adult have fun with a kid's picture book. Sure you might flip through it but going through it long term is just baffling to me. Not because of a matter of taste but because I can't understand what there is to be engaged by.

I am completely willing to believe you are enjoying it but I cannot begin to fathom what it is you are enjoying, not "oh well the thing is clearly there I just don't like the thing" but "I literally can't see the thing you are describing as existing"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

there's more variety to NMS than OwlFancier and ToastyPotato's posts these last few pages boom got em

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i played nms at release day and thought it was dumb and boring as poo poo and was almost as aggravated at that poster at how incredibly bad this game was

i picked it up a few days ago and i'm enjoying wasting time on this dumb game

yes its shallow as poo poo yes its a timewaster yes its hugely flawed and the procgen sucks but who the gently caress cares. if you do you're wasting your time more than i ever could by playing nms

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I am genuinely trying to get what is going on in people's brains that allows them to be immersed in this game because I do not remotely understand it at all. It's literally like I'm watching an adult have fun with a kid's picture book. Sure you might flip through it but going through it long term is just baffling to me. Not because of a matter of taste but because I can't understand what there is to be engaged by.

I too do not understand why someone might want to go on a walk instead of having all media blasted into their retinas while they're strapped to a chair, their leg muscles atrophying

People play idle clicker games, take a break on this argument

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Legs Benedict posted:

do you stand outside of venues for bands you dont like and yell at the people going in about how much the band they like sucks

just seems like you could be way more productive with this weird energy instead of harshing other people's mellow

If you think discussing a game in a video game discussion forum is the same thing as standing outside a music venue yelling at strangers, then I am going to challenge the idea that you have actually gone outside and been to musical venue to see a band perform.

Questioning people's opinion or perspective on something is completely normal in a discussion forum. Goddamn people are so touchy the moment someone goes in on something they like, regardless of how dumb it is. Like, take your own advice, don't you have anything better to do than to get defensive over someone criticizing a video game online?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I am completely willing to believe you are enjoying it but I cannot begin to fathom what it is you are enjoying, not "oh well the thing is clearly there I just don't like the thing" but "I literally can't see the thing you are describing as existing"

Do you go to museums and loudly complain about how modern art is just colors and shapes?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the museum was next door I might! Certainly I might ask someone what on earth they see in it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure they've added a whole bunch of new biomes and procgen stuff in this patch anyways, no? So doesn't that aspect need some re-evaluation? From my limited experience, I've been on two toxic planets, and each was VERY different - one was a massive ringworld with large oceans, tons of archipelagos, relatively sparse flora, giant fauna (quadripeds the size of my fighter) and a foothilly/eroded mountain terrain. The other was a tiny little shithole jungle planet with a ton of caves, and mineral formations everywhere, and these fuckin wolf stegosaur things that loved to eat my face. Similar experiences for the multiple radioactive and snow planets I've landed on. Maybe I just got lucky? But 90% the same seems very overblown in the new patch. In any case I'll chime back in in 30 hours and see how things have changed, but as a new player the shine is in no danger of wearing off anytime soon.

edit: and do I need to take back that civilized rational discussion comment :(

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 19, 2019

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

ToastyPotato posted:

If you think discussing a game in a video game discussion forum is the same thing as standing outside a music venue yelling at strangers, then I am going to challenge the idea that you have actually gone outside and been to musical venue to see a band perform.

Questioning people's opinion or perspective on something is completely normal in a discussion forum. Goddamn people are so touchy the moment someone goes in on something they like, regardless of how dumb it is. Like, take your own advice, don't you have anything better to do than to get defensive over someone criticizing a video game online?

the two of you are literally writing multi-paragraph posts in this thread trying to convince people that the game they are having fun with is actually not fun and is actually bad, that makes you an rear end in a top hat :)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Nah. Because I never said people were wrong for having fun with the game. You just want that to be what I said because you apparently have nothing better than to do than to start poo poo with people online because they pointed out flaws in a game you like. And that makes you an rear end in a top hat. :)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I still find it enchanting to dip my toe in a galaxy of billions of planets even if they're kinda samey :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose by contrast I can't actually see "a galaxy of billions of planets" because "a really simplistic pile of noise algorithms" gets in the way.

3d starbound, basically.

Serf
May 5, 2011

a great way to foster earnest discourse is to start by asking the people you're engaging why they have childbrains

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Just let us enjoy the loving game, Jesus christ.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

OwlFancier posted:

Smoke some weed OP

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol I think bill got it in one

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I still find it enchanting to dip my toe in a galaxy of billions of planets even if they're kinda samey :shrug:

Yeah, to reference the comparison to minecraft, the act of visiting different biomes being hopping a space ship and navigating to another planet feels far cooler. (Not to deny minecraft still probably has better terrain gen though.)

I feel like in minecraft you can get a lame seed and need to travel very far to find interesting things / variance.

This game has sense of scale that just feels neat, at least so far.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I didn't like the game until I got really high and played it in VR and its like, the perfect weed game. This and Tetris effect.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saying I need to pay a subscription charge to enjoy it isn't doing the game any favours :v:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

3 posted:

cool

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just read through all those weird posts and this feels like a cry for help. OP, it's ok if you don't like a thing other people like. You don't need to come up with all these justifications as to why actually everyone except you is wrong. You just like a different thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

196 hours in this game that I have *mostly* enjoyed, and yet, somehow, I am completely unoffended by pretty much anything OwlFancier has said (or any criticism of the game for that matter.)

Weird. It's almost like people having different opinions than I do on the internet has no effect on my ability to enjoy something. I guess it would be a problem if my enjoyment of something was largely dependent on finding acceptance and acknowledgement from complete strangers though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was a fun discussion until people started calling other people names :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean "I was high at the time" does answer the main question I had and does have an increasing amount of evidence to support it so I'm gonna say thanks!

Serf
May 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Saying I need to pay a subscription charge to enjoy it isn't doing the game any favours :v:

no, no, its not "smoke weed and play nms" its "smoke weed"

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I am genuinely trying to get what is going on in people's brains that allows them to be immersed in this game because I do not remotely understand it at all.

Alright so this is hilarious coming from someone who holds X4 higher. I like both X4 and NMS but did we play the same game?

OwlFancier posted:

you just get in space ship, fly to identical space station, get out of space ship, talk to identical alien, get back in space ship,

X4.

poo poo for bonus points, let's compare species
-Humans ('Argon') actually are cooler with the prevalance of non-white skin tones
-Paranid look like 'Grey' aliens (the stereoypical bug-eyed ones)
-Split look like what happens when the above two species have a child.
-Boron are literally furry octopi
-Teladi are tiny raptor people
All of these species (minus humans, naturally) looked substantially different and much cooler than that in earlier games. I'll take my robots, frogmen, and whatever the Vy'keen are over that.

OwlFancier posted:

still lets you build awesome looking space complexes

OwlFancier posted:

You're always just going to be flying to the same prefab buildings
100% of the stations are prefab. Like above some species don't even have Species-specific versions of some parts. None of them are unique. Most of the ships are terrible blocky-looking things, even ships from the earlier games for some reason. You can build your own stations using these prefab materials, true. You can build bases with prefab parts in NMS sky too.

Also I find it really weird that most of your criticisms start with 'when, you do something'. How do you know what I'm doing, and how do you know what I'm feeling when I'm doing it?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You should try it because one of my big problems with the game is that it's really easy to see the seams and so all the good stuff in it kind of disappears when you can't suspend disbelief and only see the algorithms. Weed totally makes it easier to suspend disbelief and just enjoy walking around on an alien world.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gumball Gumption posted:

Weed totally makes it easier to suspend disbelief and just enjoy walking around on an alien world.

Weed, and VR. Perhaps if we were to combine the two...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Airspace posted:

Alright so this is hilarious coming from someone who holds X4 higher. I like both X4 and NMS but did we play the same game?

I'm definitely not going to recommend X4 to people without some heavy caveats, and in fact keep not doing that in the X4 thread, but I am going to unconditionally say it's a better game than NMS. But that's not really lauding X4, you understand, that game needs a lot more work before I'll be telling people to buy it without reservation.

I merely point out that there are some quite specific areas where the improvement between the two is astronomical.

Don't go buying X4 unless you know what you're getting into.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

haveblue posted:

Weed, and VR. Perhaps if we were to combine the two...

illegal

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'd place them as just different games. They have a lot of similarities with really different strengths and weaknesses.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Someone legalize weed in Norway so I don't have to talk to my friend's weird buddy every time I want to space out in space.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I merely point out that there are some quite specific areas where the improvement between the two is astronomical.

"Merely", yeah okay.

OwlFancier posted:

I am genuinely trying to get what is going on in people's brains that allows them to be immersed in this game

This is what most of us are getting at here (albeit not me, I just found X4 having more depth hilarious). You're attacking us for enjoying the game.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Did you guys feel like the game has historically been very stable and eventually they fix most of the weird quirks you stumble upon? I've already run into 2-3 different quirks in the Nexus where I fell through the floor, invisible walls blocked me from moving through regular corridors, or my character was floating around like Jesus with no animations. The game is fun, but I'm thinking I might take a breather for a month until they've ironed out the more obvious wonkiness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again I don't dispute that you enjoy it, I don't believe you would play it if you didn't enjoy it because I can't really think of anything in the game that encourages that kind of pathological play, it's not like GTAO or whatever.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Airspace posted:

"Merely", yeah okay.

This is what most of us are getting at here (albeit not me, I just found X4 having more depth hilarious). You're attacking us for enjoying the game.

They're not attacking you, they're just asking honest questions of how you infantile smoothbrains could possibly find any scrap of entertainment value in this catastrophically designed, shallow wreck of a video game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

There is a huge difference between discussing things you do not like or wish was changed/better/different in the game, and literally coming into a thread and asking how people's brains work that they can enjoy the game. Just imagine sitting next to a toddler just blowing spit bubbles and stacking blocks and then repeatedly asking the toddler "I don't get it, what do you see in this?". It's a poo poo discussion no matter how you slice it. If you're genuinely curious what folks like to do or enjoy when they play this game, there have been several lengthy posts already explaining that. One was even mine.