Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

That is so loving smart, and appealing to their base it hurts.

That type of satisfying cleverness is why I'm optimistic about Harley's fate.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

13 months of commuting and just over 12,000 miles on my XSR700 and today was my second near miss. My first was in the exact same turn around six months ago when I took it too fast and the back tire lost grip because of gravel. I recovered and rode slowly the rest of the way to work.

Today, I was complacent and in a hurry to get home. I have a bad habit of letting the clutch out too late when downshifting if I am going slow. I downshifted from third to first while decelerating from around 45mph into what is a 90 degree left turn into my sub division. I let the clutch out a little too fast without applying enough throttle and right as I entered the turn the back wheel locked up.

Instinctively my left foot hit the road hard and I recovered without overcompensating but I am left with a sore foot and feeling like a loving idiot for riding so poorly.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I was going to post this in the crash thread but fortunately that’s received so little content as to be dead now.

Going up the highway on Thursday, I was on a two-lane interchange to another highway in the left lane going highway speeds. In the right lane about a car length ahead of me was a dump truck. Truck hit a bump, some poo poo bounced out of the back, and it went right for the front wheel of my bike. Immediately lost control. Wasn’t even like an “I had to layer down” situation because it was like I drove 60 mph straight into a curb. So the bike went down, I went with it, and slid a good 50yds. The bike slid a good bit further.

Once I was done sliding I realized my foot was pointing in the wrong direction. Other than that, I’m almost completely fine. I have a bump on my left elbow that was protected by a CE rated piece of armor, so I assume that would have broken. My jeans were Kevlar Tobacco jeans, and the rear end of the pants wore through a bit but the Kevlar was fine. And my gloves held up, but the heat transferred by the slide gave me a heat blister on my thumb. I also had on a Shoei RF1200 that was fine other than completely covered in the oil that (I assume) came pouring out of the hole in my primary, but I’m going to replace it anyway.

i had surgery a few hours later to put my leg back together. I had broken clean through the fibula/tibia, but my ankles were protected by my armored boots. I now have a titanium rod in my leg screwed into the bones, but hey, you’re not a real motorcyclist until you had metal somewhere in your body. I’ll be fine in a few months, but the weather will probably be poo poo by then (Massachusetts).

And no the truck didn’t stop. Didn’t even slow down. Some nice people stopped to halt traffic and call 911, but they were more worried about me than the truck.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Holy poo poo that's a big 'un. Bummer about your leg but those bones heal better than all the little crunchy ones in your ankle. Hope the physio helps. Good thing you wore the gear and don't have to worry about a bunch of road rash on top of everything else.

Bummer about the truck, but not really surprising. I try to assume the best about people so maybe he just didn't realise he was involved?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Carth Dookie posted:

Bummer about the truck, but not really surprising. I try to assume the best about people so maybe he just didn't realise he was involved?

That’s kind of what I’m hoping, but I don’t know how he could have missed it, it was super loud and right in view of his side mirror. Even if he did notice, he’d be facing losing his job, his license, maybe jail time, so I wouldn’t expect the dude to come forward.

The folks that stopped to help and call 911 really restored my faith in people, but the guy who slowly drove by filming me with his cellphone while I laid on the road kind of crushed it a bit. The state trooper screamed at the dude and made him pull over, so that was fun, but I lost track of the situation while the EMTs struggled to cut my pants off.

“What the hell are these made of? I can’t cut through them.”
“Kevlar. That’s kind of the point.”

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Strife posted:

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
ouchie, i had a near miss where a pickup lost one of its ladders not a second after i changed lanes because of how sketchy it looked-- ever since then i stay away from trucks carrying poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Strife posted:

Well I'm now totally sold on a pair of those jeans and you should send that anecdote to their marketing department.

Your crash sucks poo poo but glad you survived and it's not any worse than it is. The right gear makes all the difference. Did you see what fell out of the truck?

Razzled posted:

ever since then i stay away from trucks carrying poo poo

yep, for me the day I started really paying attention to/avoiding trucks was when I realized that the one I'd been following for a mile or two had a washing machine "strapped" to the pile of junk in the bed with a single piece of webbing. Like start at one corner of the bed, loop once around the washing machine, attach to the other corner. Stable

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 13, 2019

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Sagebrush posted:

Well I'm now totally sold on a pair of those jeans and you should send that anecdote to their marketing department.

Your crash sucks poo poo but glad you survived and it's not any worse than it is. The right gear makes all the difference. Did you see what fell out of the truck?

Some kind of blackened 10x10” cube shaped object and like a foot long rod, with a bunch of bits. Kind of looked like demo debris from a fire. It was too fast to really rationalize what it was.

Can’t recommend tobacco enough. Best part is their jeans look really good. I think they were my best looking pair, they just happened to be Kevlar. I wore them a lot even when I wasn’t riding.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
lol tobacco is a fuckin scam, their poo poo is way overpriced for just kevlar jeans

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

I was going to post this in the crash thread but fortunately that’s received so little content as to be dead now.

Going up the highway on Thursday, I was on a two-lane interchange to another highway in the left lane going highway speeds. In the right lane about a car length ahead of me was a dump truck. Truck hit a bump, some poo poo bounced out of the back, and it went right for the front wheel of my bike. Immediately lost control. Wasn’t even like an “I had to layer down” situation because it was like I drove 60 mph straight into a curb. So the bike went down, I went with it, and slid a good 50yds. The bike slid a good bit further.

Once I was done sliding I realized my foot was pointing in the wrong direction. Other than that, I’m almost completely fine. I have a bump on my left elbow that was protected by a CE rated piece of armor, so I assume that would have broken. My jeans were Kevlar Tobacco jeans, and the rear end of the pants wore through a bit but the Kevlar was fine. And my gloves held up, but the heat transferred by the slide gave me a heat blister on my thumb. I also had on a Shoei RF1200 that was fine other than completely covered in the oil that (I assume) came pouring out of the hole in my primary, but I’m going to replace it anyway.

i had surgery a few hours later to put my leg back together. I had broken clean through the fibula/tibia, but my ankles were protected by my armored boots. I now have a titanium rod in my leg screwed into the bones, but hey, you’re not a real motorcyclist until you had metal somewhere in your body. I’ll be fine in a few months, but the weather will probably be poo poo by then (Massachusetts).

And no the truck didn’t stop. Didn’t even slow down. Some nice people stopped to halt traffic and call 911, but they were more worried about me than the truck.

Horrible, nightmare stuff. Also gently caress people.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

lol tobacco is a fuckin scam, their poo poo is way overpriced for just kevlar jeans

I don't necessarily disagree but good luck finding a pair of kevlar lined jeans that look good and are comfortable to wear. Even taking a pair of jeans you know you like and getting them lined with kevlar will cost more than $300-350.

I want a pair of kevlar lined jeans that looks like the Tobacco Journeyman but comes with CE armor and lets you take the knee armor out from the outside like Uglybros Motorpools - someone get on that

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Razzled posted:

I’m the kind of person that would buy a $200 pair of selvedge denim jeans for non motorcycle reasons. I couldn’t find similar protection without crazy stitching all over the pants, so it’s reasonable to me.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Goddamn, glad you're relatively ok. I've been on a quest for bike pants I could wear at work all day, those Tobacco ones may be worth the premium. I could always put some knee armor on over the pants if needed. Their non-jeans pants look like they may be just a bit too narrow to get over a pair of A* SMX+ though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Strife posted:

Good job not dying!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Strife posted:

foot long rod, with a bunch of bits

Glad you survived almost mostly intact. That is some scary poo poo.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

captainOrbital posted:

Glad you survived almost mostly intact. That is some scary poo poo.

Surprisingly I didn’t feel any fear. The only emotion I recall was overwhelming, abject anger. My helmet is only damaged because I took it off and threw it before screaming at the sky. In retrospect I should have left it on, I know.

Also another note regarding Tobacco, I’ve been in touch with them and they agreed to send me a replacement pair. Now I just need to get boots from RSD.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Are Yamaha Teneres any good 🤔

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

they are horribly boring and ugly imho

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Patrocclesiastes posted:

The 1200 is heavy and dull, can't speak to the new 700

alr
May 14, 2009
A workmate owns the 1200 with more than 300,000 km on it, he's used it for touring all over Australia with his wife, commuting, p much everything for years now. No issues with anything, just regular maintenance. According to him it's the only bike he'd ever use for all that but he's still buying the new 700 when it's out because anything would be more fun solo than the 1200. I haven't ridden it but I've sat on it and it feels like a tank and if I had to do a coast to coast or an ironbutt or something I'd choose one based on the reliability and comfort alone. It's also restricted in the lower gears and getting a tune apparently makes a big difference

If you're asking after the 660 it's old, expensive and the suspension is supposed to be pretty poor. The new 700 is reviewing amazingly well though if that's an option in your area yet

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
So this was interesting... I'm leaving town for a bit, and figured I'd rip out the battery on my new-to-me Sportster and put it on a tender indoors oh hey that's not a fun looking +ve terminal.

Well let's get this thing out of here before it explodes. Getting the screw out of the -ve terminal is taking more force than I thoug--

Oh nice the screw is fused to the terminal nut

Some vice grips and a socket wrench and later...

What the Christ

The terminals on Harley (tm) batteries are flush with the side of the battery, because Sportster battery wires come up from below the battery and hook up vertically to the side of the terminals, not the top. The PO slapped in a Yuasa battery whose terminals are inset a 1/4", and... I guess just torqued em down reel guud.

Edit: also, I'm pretty concerned now about that negative battery wire with the huge gash in it :geno:

epswing fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 15, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They cheaped out and got the not-Harley specific version of that battery; yuasa do make them with Harley terminals.

Much more alarming is the improperly fitted vent caps. Those batteries don't come prefilled and if they didn't know how to fit the caps there's a good chance they hosed up filling it with acid too.

Also a negative wire with a cut is 100% safe aside from corrosion related concerns. What's it gonna do, short to itself and get even more earthy?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Slavvy posted:

Also a negative wire with a cut is 100% safe aside from corrosion related concerns. What's it gonna do, short to itself and get even more earthy?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
well the good news is that those battery posts are made of lead so you can just bend them back into shape and solder them together with a torch lighter :jeb:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Patrocclesiastes posted:

The only person I know with one is my ex-brother-in-law and he's a postman who's into swinging*. Now I know extrapolating from a single data point is dangerous but that's one hell of a data point IMO.

(Surprisingly neither the swinging or his choice of bikes is why he's now my ex-brother-in-law, but the current brother-in-law my sister replaced him with has an MV Agusta)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

They cheaped out and got the not-Harley specific version of that battery; yuasa do make them with Harley terminals.

Much more alarming is the improperly fitted vent caps. Those batteries don't come prefilled and if they didn't know how to fit the caps there's a good chance they hosed up filling it with acid too.

Ah, someone's never experienced the wonder of British bikes and cars with switched-negative electrics. I've never actually owned one but I've learned from people I have which is why for any problem - from a blown lamp to a flat tyre to the entire vehicle being on fire - I always check the negative terminal and path first.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Enfield: Stockholm Edition: Himalayan update --

The owner of the dealership has been taking my calls personally and clearly wants to make me happy. He can't psychically force Enfield to make better components by force of will, but it's something.

They are replacing my cylinder head and valves this week, and are confident the bike will be ready for me at the end of the week. I probably will not go pick it up until Monday, because I want the shop to be open when I pick it up, and I want to go put ~40 miles including some minor highway on it before I bother to load it up and take it home. On the other hand, they said the QA Engineer grade bug report that I gave them when I dropped it off made their reproduction trivial, so that's something.

And yea gently caress me for dumping it in dirt at 750 miles, but seriously highway department.... random loving 18" silt deposits across the entire loving roadway with no warning, coming into an intersection? Brilliant, just brilliant. In some ways it's "good" I got a cheap bike; a used SV still would have made more sense for a lot of stuff (excluding 2-up riding, and getting stares) -- but I need to figure out wtf I'm doing on these nutty roads around here on something cheap and relatively light. I see people riding heavy BMWs up into the hills here, but I'm not sure that's super clever in general and definitely seems like a bad idea while I'm still making newbie mistakes.

I road on pavement in DC for ~5 years and didn't have any issues after a couple dumb low-speed things in the first 50 miles, but the poo poo up here is just a different animal. Watch your traction, watch out for gravel, watch out for.... moose.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 19, 2019

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Saw a hit and run today, right in front of me. Some bicyclist without a helmet ran a red, and a motorcycle that had lane splitted up gunned it at the green. I didn't see him before he gunned it, he must have filtered up pretty late. I had stopped paying attention backwards since there already was multiple cars behind me. The bike hit the motorcycle in the rear tire, sending the biker face first to the ground. The motorcyclist braked, looked behind him and took off.

I didn't catch his number as I was more preoccupied with getting my bike to the side of the road. looked like a late 90-2000ish sport tourer/ or similar with a givi wingrack. leaning towards a cb600s or FZS600 Fazer.
Strange that the motorcyclist ran, bicyclist was clearly at fault. He had full leathers and full face helmet, no squid.

The bicyclist was out for a couple of secs but was up and got helped by some pedestrians when I got my bike parked. he had 2 pretty good cuts in his face + scraped knees. Yay for good pocket napkins for visor cleaning. Ambulance and police was there after like 5 mins. Gave my statement to the police, I am kinda annoyed that I didn't get his plate, but I don't have that reflex or run a dash cam :(

Bicycle came from the left here.
https://www.google.no/maps/@59.9237985,10.7910016,3a,75y,59.28h,73.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4sjqROVEuC87lsVb4tz2xw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Is it a normal part of your riding to be holding the clutch in through corners?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

GriszledMelkaba posted:

You don't pop the clutch midway through turns?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Under normal circumstances? Depends on the turn, if I'm not sure if I need to shift or not sometimes I will just clutch through it.

Regardless of whether or not that's a good idea, I'm sure we can agree it's not something that should reasonably cause the engine to stall?

I was trying to give them the most trivial, easy way to reproduce the problem. Which they did, many times.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

no true it shouldn't stall, but the only reason to be popping that clutch mid-turn is if you want to clutch up a crossed-up wheelie for your boiz

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I was waiting for someone to mention the "you clutch through corners!?" thing.

Things just seem more stable/consistent/controllable when the back wheel is hooked up to the motor through turns. Definitely forces you to learn good/better throttle control after you mess it up a few times, but the results are worth it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's always best to shift to an appropriate gear before you enter the turn and then ride through it under power.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The clutch is for taking off from a stop, wheelies and downshifting. That's all, pretend it doesn't exist the rest of the time. Clutching through corners is appallingly bad technique, like dragging your feet through the intersection levels of bad. I say this for anyone lurking this thread as you clearly had a good reason for it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Slavvy posted:

The clutch is for taking off from a stop, wheelies and downshifting. That's all, pretend it doesn't exist the rest of the time. Clutching through corners is appallingly bad technique, like dragging your feet through the intersection levels of bad. I say this for anyone lurking this thread as you clearly had a good reason for it.

:thumbsup: to all that. Although "wheelies" are something Enfield owners don't know about, short of drilling an extra hole in the carb in the old carb'd ones to make it possible (at the expense of any road-speed stability). I'm only aware of this from various hilarious YouTube videos.

The place I first noticed this was in the process of downshifting into an intersection. I dropped 4 -> 3, and then instead of immediately going into 2nd once the RPM had stabilized, I held the clutch in for a split second... and the battery light came on, RPM drop to 0 instantly, and I thought "well, that's not good" as I mashed the ignition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll be interested to see if replacing the head fixes it because that sounds like a fueling issue to me.