Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

when i read that i legitimately thought the guy had kept his job and the union was outraged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Na cuz that would be the proper reaction to that situation instead of people being outraged a killer only lost his job. Oh well. Literally americanpolice.txt.

Atleast now hes a good cop

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Stravag posted:

Na cuz that would be the proper reaction to that situation instead of people being outraged a killer only lost his job. Oh well. Literally americanpolice.txt.

Atleast now hes a good cop

Until some county department hires him.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Right. He wouldnt have a problem getting a job places delete your record after a year or whatever

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Stravag posted:

Right. He wouldnt have a problem getting a job places delete your record after a year or whatever

The cop who shot Michael Brown was still unemployed last time I checked.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Stravag posted:

that's for criminal offenses at the violation level in NYS and applies to everyone in NYS not cops

This was an administrative trial, not a criminal trial with the results carried live on most major news networks. A criminal background check will return no results, but a Google search- yeah that's gonna be around forever.

Most "gypsy cops" are allowed to resign in lieu of firing and bounce around small town departments that pay $12 a hour part time and don't do background checks, not guys that made near six figures and got fired live on CNN.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is spitting in the street a criminal offense in Portland like it is in in Singapore?

https://twitter.com/feefifofummmm/status/1162935241582841857

If not how insecure are those loving snowflakes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"We can't uphold our oath while abiding by a reasonable expectation to not murder people at every encounter."

I love unions but police unions are hosed.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hey someone said stop resisting after they got the body to the coroners office so its not murder just a legal application of force

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

Is spitting in the street a criminal offense in Portland like it is in in Singapore?

https://twitter.com/feefifofummmm/status/1162935241582841857

If not how insecure are those loving snowflakes.

Before I say this, I want to emphasize that the overreaction was loving absurd. However...maybe don't spit on the swat team.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
gently caress them

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That approach probably would've ended differently.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
dont sell loosies unless you want the cops to “overreact”

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tryzzub posted:

dont sell loosies unless you want the cops to “overreact”

I'm not defending the murder of a man, but the job is still to arrest people committing crimes.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
thank you police force for protecting us from loose cigarettes and spit. its ok that you overreact sometimes and do irreparable bodily harm disproportionate to the crime being committed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tryzzub posted:

thank you police force for protecting us from loose cigarettes and spit. its ok that you overreact sometimes and do irreparable bodily harm disproportionate to the crime being committed.

ITT we just post bullshit nobody said so we can self-justify outrage that was already justified.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tryzzub posted:

I guess change all the laws you don't like then?

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
itt we’re not siding with the cops but actually heres some reasons they were right

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tryzzub posted:

itt we’re not siding with the cops but actually heres some reasons they were right

I didn't know you thought they were right. Personally, I don't think using an illegal chokehold is ok, but if you support manslaughter that's on you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Itt COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tryzzub posted:

Per my last post...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Before I say this, I want to emphasize that the overreaction was loving absurd. However...maybe don't spit on the swat team.

It hit the ground, not the cops.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

hobbesmaster posted:

It hit the ground, not the cops.

You have a video that shows where the spit lands? It goes offscreen in the twitter link.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Chichevache posted:

I'm not defending the murder of a man, but the job is still to arrest people committing crimes.

Part of that job, and one of the most vital parts in fact, is also knowing when and how force is justified.

A cop's ego being hurt because they aren't given the deference they expect isn't a justification for use of force, no matter how much they want it to be.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

Hey look, the distillation of one of the major problems with America’s cops: they think their job description is arresting people.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Chichevache posted:

You have a video that shows where the spit lands? It goes offscreen in the twitter link.

Those cops are complete fascists assucks

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Liquid Communism posted:

Part of that job, and one of the most vital parts in fact, is also knowing when and how force is justified.

A cop's ego being hurt because they aren't given the deference they expect isn't a justification for use of force, no matter how much they want it to be.

No one is saying hurting someone's feelings is justification for use of force.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Those cops are complete fascists assucks

Good contribution.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
You are hiding behind decorum while literally stating that your job is principally to arrest people.

Chichevache posted:

I guess change all the laws you don't like then?

An American cop’s solution to American policing, folks.

Cops cannot fail us, I guess. They can only be failed by the laws and that contemptible public who doesn’t change all of the laws.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 20, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

You are hiding behind decorum while literally stating that your job is principally to arrest people.

Cops cannot fail us, I guess. They can only be failed by the laws and that contemptible public who doesn’t change all of the laws.

The job is principally to keep the peace. Hopefully that can be solved by being an adult in the room and talking down disgruntled people or resolving something peacefully. However, at the end of the day what a cop is is a person authorized by the government to use violence.

No one is saying cops can't fail you. Myself and the other officers in here go out of our way to point out the problems with corruption, bad policy, etc in this thread. However, when people go out of their way to pick fights in here because they're angry that there is a bad cop somewhere in the world, I'm not going to go out of my way to give the most serious and level response to every single angry troll. I'm not at work right now and I'm not getting paid to not be flippant when people want to be stupid.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
You go out of your way to paint yourself as a hero cop when you're just a piece of poo poo pig

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

Arc Light posted:

So, fair warning up front, I might ramble a bit because I've been drinking. Probably some grammar errors, too.

What's the alternative for enforcing laws, if police were abolished?

This is a good faith question. I'm not trying to gotcha you or anything.

I ask because I broadly agree that societies, and especially the USA, punish people for things that shouldn't be criminalized. But, beyond that, there are a bunch of things we criminalize that I believe absolutely should be unlawful, and I think we need a mechanism for enforcing those restrictions.

I've posted about this before, but I was a reserve cop in Louisiana for a couple years. I was young and dumb and bored with my day job, and I wanted to do some good for the local community. I looked the other way on victimless "crimes" like smoking pot, because who gives a poo poo, but frankly I shouldn't have had to do that.

There were laws I was all in on enforcing, though. I took a call for a grown man who had kidnapped and raped a 13 year old girl. Dude 100% deserved to be in cuffs for what he did to her. My partner and I arrested him.

Took another for a DV call. My partner and I burned rubber to get there, and along the way it turned into a shooting call. We arrived on scene maybe 5 minutes after the call came in, closely followed by the whole shift, and arrested the shooter. We were able to save to one victim, but we couldn't save a 5-year-old kid who took a gunshot wound to the head. He was alive when I found him, but he died in the operating room. Kid's name was Reese Williams Jr. Shot at the Southern Living mobile homes, died in University Health hospital. I stood next to his operating table and watched him die. One of my buddies killed himself over it. Couldn't live with the thought that maybe he could have gotten to the scene faster. RIP Officer Charles Reynolds, EOW 6 Sep 17.

Another DV call. This guy was a cop. He was a deputy for a neighboring parish. Also a soldier in the Louisiana Army National Guard. Beat the poo poo out of his wife after a night out at the bar. My sergeant made the arrest, just to make sure we dotted all the Is and crossed all the Ts. Didn't want to chance that we might gently caress something up and let this shitheel off on a technicality. I bring it up because I made probably a dozen DV arrests, but this was the only one where the victim actually followed through on a restraining order. The rest took their abuser back.

Institutional racism is a huge problem. I wish I had an answer to it. I don't. My podunk department had significantly more stringent background checks than what the US military ran for my TS clearance. Despite that, we still had a couple cops get kicked out for bigoted arrests, and another guy get fired for using excessive force during arrests. IA used my dashcam footage to fire one of them. We only had 8 officers on patrol per shift, and if somebody was poo poo, we reported it and ran them out of town. I can't imagine what it's like to work for a big department like the LAPD or NYPD. We did (I think) a pretty decent job of screening for shitheads, and forcing them out before they could cause trouble. But I can't speak for any other agency, because we don't have anything approaching a uniform national standard in the US for policing. Just state POST requirements, which range from reasonable to pitiful.

What I'm getting at is, what's the alternative? Should everyone be armed at all times? Is vigilante justice the answer? Is an armed society a polite society? (hint: it's not) How does a society without cops deal with murder, or rape, or any of the myriad of crimes that shatter lives, and that we generally agree merit isolation from society at large? I know the cliche answer is "fix our broken mental health care and social services" but until that happens, what's the best choice? In theory the idea is that we outsource violence and danger to the cops, but if that isn't working, what else do we try?
okay, my response is super delayed, apologies arc light!! i think this has been covered a bit (i've only really skim-read the thread since this post) & i'm not particularly knowledgeable in this area (i spend most of my volunteer time in housing rights).

police abolitionists (and prison abolitionists) organize around harm reduction with an overall vision of ending policing as we know it. i think it is fairly common in organizing, no matter the area, for centrists/neo-libs/trad dems etc. to look at the vision of what activists are working towards and dismiss their work in its entirety as they view it as unattainable (and if they're being honest, undesirable). i'm always suspicious of a world view that means you don't have to put in any work to achieve anything better!

part of this is that police & prison abolition doesn't exist in a vacuum - people fighting for it are also fighting against the things that lead to inequality and for the things that could prevent crime. they want housing justice, reproductive justice, healthcare justice - it is all interconnected.

since we're on the same page about our laws and our policing targeting things that shouldn't be criminalized, i'll skip that part of it! the one thing i'd want to add is that this isn't just about which laws we have on our books, it's about when & how they're enforced (and i guess when & how they're not enforced). the nypd just agreed to stop profiling trans women & women of color as prostitutes. landlords who are absolute scum have gently caress all happen to them.

bringing up this quote again:

quote:

policing is not a tool of neutral unbiased law enforcement, but a fundamentally racialized, gendered, and capitalist instrument
the difference between reformists and abolitionists is that abolitionists believe we need to build our justice system from the ground up. what we've got is rotten and it is built to be rotten. my problem with reformists isn't the people who are doing the work to push for reforms (harm reduction is good!), it is people who use a reformist position to dismiss critiques of the structures involved while doing nothing material to support reform.

police abolition doesn't mean no justice system, but it does mean it will be fundamentally different from what we have now! the question of how we protect the vulnerable (and who does that protecting) is a good one! i would argue that our current system absolutely fails to protect the vulnerable, even when isolating things like domestic violence and sexual assault (and leaving alone the ways it actively victimizes the vulnerable). if we're concerned about victims of domestic violence there are material things we could do to assist, for example funding shelters, removing any financial barriers to leaving an abusive partner, and idk stopping abusers from being cops. i don't know a single victim of domestic violence or sexual assault who has gone to the police. again i'm no expert here but people are into different models like rehabilitation & restorative justice & transformative justice.

the things we do while we wait for public healthcare etc. are the things that police/prison abolitionists are working on right now. in nyc this means ending cash bail, starting an elected civilian review board, closing rikers & opposing the construction of new jails, ending broken windows policing, decriminalizing sex work, and actively decarcerating our city. they're doing this to work towards a more just world (& of course as community defense). and if we get any of it, it'll be on the backs of these grass roots organizers!

here i go again making a vital error in effortposting rather than shitposting. on the whole though i'm very uncomfortable with this subforum being used as a safe space for cops! idk why veterans welcome them into their communities like this. would genuinely like some thoughts here from any veterans!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm a veteran and I say ACAB

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I'm a veteran and I say ACAB
lol yes i know. why are their cops in the vet subforum in the first place? do veterans here jump at the chance to defend war criminals? what happens if they do?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cops are here because most everyone with some sort of uniform ended up in GIP except tow truck drivers and loss prevention, America's true heros.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hot sorcery posted:

lol yes i know. why are their cops in the vet subforum in the first place? do veterans here jump at the chance to defend war criminals? what happens if they do?

There’s also army cops, like presidential candidate Tulsi Gabbard

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Army cops are the loving worst. Giving out tickets for speeding in a war zone lol

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hot sorcery posted:

american cops and soldiers are both parts of the same system of creating the hierarchy which defines our society, along with mass shooters, george zimmerman, and every guy who beats and eventually shoots his wife.

i just listened to a fun sad podcast about this, that I'd recommend to anyone in this thread. Patrick Blanchfield gets a little too abstract for my tastes sometimes, but I get stuck thinking about the things he says, which might mean something.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Army cops are the loving worst. Giving out tickets for speeding in a war zone lol

You forgot putting parking boots on armored suburbans and land cruisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mlmp08 posted:

I mean, it's probably easier to get rid of certain dumb laws than passing comprehensive police reform so I guess maybe try to do both?