Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LLSix posted:

The other thing to point to is warranty. High end task chairs come with decade long warranties (My Aeron v2 has a 12 year warranty). Gamer chairs usually don't. Because they last so long, task chairs tend to save you money in the long term. $1000/12 = $83 per year vs $200/2 = $100 per year.

I took a look and the Secretlabs chairs have a five* year warranty!

*you have to post a photo of your chair on social media to get a two year extension on the basic three year warranty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

isndl posted:

I took a look and the Secretlabs chairs have a five* year warranty!

*you have to post a photo of your chair on social media to get a two year extension on the basic three year warranty
Good lord.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are you guys sure that office liquidators are good places to get chairs?

Cause they tend to all be like that IME.

UPDATE: it was the most depressing place I’ve ever been to so yeah

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 2, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess I might as well ask a question, too. Is there anything wrong with ordering used online? If not, what are some recommended stores?

I really like the look of the Steelcase Reply. Has anyone tried it? Is it good?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 2, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Pollyanna posted:

Pictures of shabby run-down places.

That's inline with most of my experiences too. The furniture inside was almost always fine. And if it wasn't, well, that's why you buy used in person. You're bargain hunting. These places are cutting costs anywhere they can. (I ultimately decided to buy new, but I also paid a 250% premium to do so, so you know).

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 2, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Honestly, eh. I don’t really have the patience for bargain hunting. I’m fine buying new.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah it's like thrifting. You're gonna get a lot of Barbie heads in plastic bags before you get a cool find.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

Thats why the first “gaming” chair Ive ever sat in that I liked was the secretlabs one I mentioned earlier. Its really just a great chair in the $400 range that happens to be trying to cash in on gamerbux.

Thanks for mentioning this. The Co worker I was having the conversation with actually has a Titan and offered to let me come over and check it out. And I must say it kicks our chairs at the office in the rear end. I think it is more comfortable than our Thinks, and I may just go that route.

Is it worth the money to upgrade to the cloth?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

LLSix posted:

That's inline with most of my experiences too. The furniture inside was almost always fine. And if it wasn't, well, that's why you buy used in person. You're bargain hunting. These places are cutting costs anywhere they can. (I ultimately decided to buy new, but I also paid a 250% premium to do so, so you know).

Same, I got my Steelcase Leap from here:

halokiller fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 4, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is the markus still the go to chair for the ~200 price range? I had one and its lasted a long time, but I moved and gave it away.

Last Resort
Feb 15, 2015

Moatman posted:

At that point you may as well just shell out the extra couple hundred for an embody https://www.badbacks.com.au/herman-miller-embody-office-chair

Thanks Moatman you’re probably right. Ouch.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looking around in Germany, I see a lot of premium office chairs that have the seating area not fixed in place but rather "decoupled", meaning it tilts in every direction along with your body movement, kinda similar to sitting on a gymnastic ball. The common recommendations of US brands in this thread all don't seem to do it, which makes me wonder why this is seemingly common in the EU but not so much in the US. Anyone have experience with a system like the one I'm describing? I'm curious about those sorts of chairs since I've come across one that's reasonably price with a 30 year manufacturer warranty.

https://www.loeffler.de/shop/drehstuehle/figo-air-kn/

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Kilazar posted:

Thanks for mentioning this. The Co worker I was having the conversation with actually has a Titan and offered to let me come over and check it out. And I must say it kicks our chairs at the office in the rear end. I think it is more comfortable than our Thinks, and I may just go that route.

Is it worth the money to upgrade to the cloth?

I went with the cloth because I hate PU Leather with a passion, for an extra $30 having something I can both clean with some woolite and a cloth plus not have to worry about it delaminating and falling apart is worth it.

E: Also cloth breathes, whereas PU Leather sucks and doesn't allow any airflow, so if its hot outside I hope you like peeling your skin off the chair when you stick to it. The cloth isn't even an expensive upgrade. If it was an extra $100 I would probably said EHHHHHHHHHHHH but for $30 whatever.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 6, 2019

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

I went with the cloth because I hate PU Leather with a passion, for an extra $30 having something I can both clean with some woolite and a cloth plus not have to worry about it delaminating and falling apart is worth it.

E: Also cloth breathes, whereas PU Leather sucks and doesn't allow any airflow, so if its hot outside I hope you like peeling your skin off the chair when you stick to it. The cloth isn't even an expensive upgrade. If it was an extra $100 I would probably said EHHHHHHHHHHHH but for $30 whatever.

Thanks for the info.

I don't think I have ever sat with bare skin in my desk chair, so I don't get the sticking to it bit. I'm always in jeans or pajama pants. But the cleaning and lack of peeling off over time sounds great!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

Thanks for the info.

I don't think I have ever sat with bare skin in my desk chair, so I don't get the sticking to it bit. I'm always in jeans or pajama pants. But the cleaning and lack of peeling off over time sounds great!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

My Leap V2 arrived today. Comfiest chair ever.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
PU leather sucks rear end. The only reason I even want to buy a new chair is because it's disintegrating on the one I got from Office Depot like 8 years ago.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonna ask again - is the Steelcase Reply any good? Or should I spring for a Leap? EDIT: The Think also looks pretty good.

I do specifically want mesh, cause fabric eventually wears down and leather is just awful.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 10, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I don't think I've ever seen any fabric chair wear down to the point of failure. Stains sure, or scoring that looks like someone took a knife to it, but general wear is a non-issue.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean like the back cushioning. I just like mesh ok????????

The Reply is relatively affordable and still looks comfortable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piNSiv3Dras Really considering getting it!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 10, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

In this age of ordering everything online, I still like to find a showroom to sit in a chair before I buy one. I'd recommend it if you can find one reasonably nearby.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I have a steelcase leap and honestly I don't understand the fuss. It has lots of adjustments but is not a particularly comfortable chair.

I'm starting to think that I will never be happy with an "office" chair, but buying a "gaming" chair seems like an invitation to get ripped off...

So, I'm curious if anyone has anything to say about the Forma chairs from Maingear: https://maingear.com/custom/gaming-chairs/forma/index.php

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get an Embody if every other chair has failed to impress

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
So I got a free Leap today while dropping off some donations at the local thrift store. Someone had left one and the store said they didn't want it because it was damaged.
Other than the obviously busted arms (the left arm cover won't fully connect and both covers are pretty worn), is there anything in particular I should be looking for? It was sitting outside for an unknown amount of time (it rained a lot yesterday and the chair was fully dry, so probably less than a day), but I don't smell anything or see much rust. The gas cylinder stays up but doesn't have any give when the chair first gets weight, I'm not sure if that's normal or not.
I don't see a tag to confirm, but it looks like a V1 Leap if that changes anything.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of, is this a real Leap? It's kinda hard to tell from the picture.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Trip report on Titan 2020.. Worth every loving penny.

I now have 2 days on it at 5+ hours a day. I have not been this comfortable in a chair since my work chair in 2012 that cost 1000.

I cannot for the life of me remember what that chair was. But now I don't need to. This thing forces me to sit right. But is comfortable in doing so.

Thanks a ton for the recommendation.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of, is this a real Leap? It's kinda hard to tell from the picture.

Is it supposed to be V1 or V2? Much easier to tell from the back. V2 has less rounded armrests and the X thing with wheels than on the picture

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I assume a V1, because Craigslist crap.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doublepost, but I went to try out the Herman Miller chairs.

The Sayl’s not bad, decent budget chair, no issues moving around, fits me. Not very hot on the armrests. The back is kinda supportive, though I’m not convinced that it’s a great choice...I’d prefer a mesh fabric back and something with a little less give.

The Aeron Size B(?) is comfortable, moreso than the Sayl, but the seat is a little large in the front - resting my foot on the X has the front dig into the back of my shin. It’s otherwise good, and I like the mesh backing. Not all that amazing, though. The Aeron C has a wider seat, which I truly appreciate cause of my wide seat.

I don’t see what’s so great about the Embody. The seat is hard, and it’s kind of unremarkable otherwise. I do like how the back seems to bend with me.

The Mirra 2 has the best back support, IME, and the mesh suspension seat is p. nice, though not quite as soft as I’d hoped. Somewhat more of a cushion would improve it a lot, though I don’t really know what I’m talking about. I don’t like the armrests, I would prefer something flatter instead of a bean that presses into my arm. If I can swap those out somehow, it’d be even better. The killer feature is the ability to bend the front edge down, and I think I found an angle that’s perfect for me - best angle for plopping in, best angle for not digging into my shin. Resting my feet on the X is easy, too!

It’s a tough call once you get to Mirra 2 vs Aeron, since they’re pretty similar. That said, the Mirra 2 wins for me if I can get a different armrest - the Aeron armrests on the Mirra 2 would be perfect.

Cosm kinda sucks and I didn’t like it.

Keeping price points in mind, it’s between the Mirra 2 and the Sayl for me. Sayl if I’m willing to trade some back support and the mesh backing for a lower price point and a better cushion. Mirra 2 if back support wins out (and it probably should).

Still have to try Steelcase. I’ll find a place somewhere. Any other brands I should look for?

EDIT: For those of you that got the Mirra 2, how worthwhile was the adjustable lumbar support? I don't really recall it doing much for me, but maybe it's actually really important and I just don't get it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 18, 2019

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Kilazar posted:

Trip report on Titan 2020.. Worth every loving penny.

I now have 2 days on it at 5+ hours a day. I have not been this comfortable in a chair since my work chair in 2012 that cost 1000.

I cannot for the life of me remember what that chair was. But now I don't need to. This thing forces me to sit right. But is comfortable in doing so.

Thanks a ton for the recommendation.

But did you get the cloth?!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was looking into getting a "gaming computer" chair but IDK which one to get to be quite honest.

The chair I have now does not have a good backing, the back bends backwards, and I was hoping for a chair where I have to sit up straight in it?

I'm not huge wide, and idk if anyone else does this, but I love sitting cross legged in chairs, so it being a little wide enough to do that is nice. I'm also avg height, taller torso and shorter legs I suppose.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I'm almost 14 days into having a Humanscale Freedom (refurbished from 2ndhnd, made 2007 according to the label) and still rather unsure about my purchase... the seat cushion is on the hard side, and the curve of the backrest is good for support at quite a few angles, but sitting for a long time (6+hr) feels somewhat fatiguing. The tilt isn't lockable, so as you tire over the course of a day it feels more and more like you're being pressed forward in your mid-back by the chair, so my butt gets pushed further forward on the seat to be relaxed, which gets less and less comfortable and probably a lot worse for posture. It's decent for sitting upright, since the stiff tilt resistance lets you reach equilibrium quickly. I'm a bit barrel chested as well as being overweight for my height (100kg/220lbs) so it may be a different story for someone with a slight frame. I might look at whether the tension is adjustable, though there are famously few user-adjustable things on this chair. The armrests are a bit short too, which makes them mainly elbow props. They're at a flat angle to my desk when i'm leaned back about 10-20% of the travel, too, so they come and go in usefulness.

I mainly got it because it was the best reviewed fancy office chair that commonly had a headrest available (in the UK at least), but the shape of the backrest and stiffness of the tilt means that leaning all the way back opens my chest up a lot and isn't especially relaxed. I should probably buy a footrest however, i suspect that'll help a bit, and it's probably a good idea whatever i sit in.

I probably would have changed my choice if i could again, since in my heart i was really after a chair i could just lounge all over, but the extra £100 or so for a new 'gaming but not really gaming' luxury chair like the titan or a noblechairs hero made me a little reticent, as well as being a little unsure as to whether they'd last 5 to 10 years like you'd expect a high end office-focused one to. It really doesn't help that most reviews of those sorts of chairs are puddle-deep unboxings by someone who mainly does hardware news, where they assemble their free sample, put it in their home office and say it's comfortable and looks cool.

The main thing that prompted me to buy a chair was lower back pain and the fact the old one was falling apart though, and in that regard... it's better, but it's definitely reminding me that i should take more exercise. It's also hard to find a single setting for the backrest, arms and seat height that's good for all angles. I'm noticing areas of my back and tuckus that feel a lot of pressure over a day, which are probably better than muscle and joint pains on balance but still not great for comfort.

So yeah it's fairly good but probably just buy a leap v2 or an aeron thanks for reading my novel goodbye

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Pollyanna posted:

Doublepost, but I went to try out the Herman Miller chairs.

The Sayl’s not bad, decent budget chair, no issues moving around, fits me. Not very hot on the armrests. The back is kinda supportive, though I’m not convinced that it’s a great choice...I’d prefer a mesh fabric back and something with a little less give.

The Aeron Size B(?) is comfortable, moreso than the Sayl, but the seat is a little large in the front - resting my foot on the X has the front dig into the back of my shin. It’s otherwise good, and I like the mesh backing. Not all that amazing, though. The Aeron C has a wider seat, which I truly appreciate cause of my wide seat.

I don’t see what’s so great about the Embody. The seat is hard, and it’s kind of unremarkable otherwise. I do like how the back seems to bend with me.

The Mirra 2 has the best back support, IME, and the mesh suspension seat is p. nice, though not quite as soft as I’d hoped. Somewhat more of a cushion would improve it a lot, though I don’t really know what I’m talking about. I don’t like the armrests, I would prefer something flatter instead of a bean that presses into my arm. If I can swap those out somehow, it’d be even better. The killer feature is the ability to bend the front edge down, and I think I found an angle that’s perfect for me - best angle for plopping in, best angle for not digging into my shin. Resting my feet on the X is easy, too!

It’s a tough call once you get to Mirra 2 vs Aeron, since they’re pretty similar. That said, the Mirra 2 wins for me if I can get a different armrest - the Aeron armrests on the Mirra 2 would be perfect.

Cosm kinda sucks and I didn’t like it.

Keeping price points in mind, it’s between the Mirra 2 and the Sayl for me. Sayl if I’m willing to trade some back support and the mesh backing for a lower price point and a better cushion. Mirra 2 if back support wins out (and it probably should).

Still have to try Steelcase. I’ll find a place somewhere. Any other brands I should look for?

EDIT: For those of you that got the Mirra 2, how worthwhile was the adjustable lumbar support? I don't really recall it doing much for me, but maybe it's actually really important and I just don't get it.

This was basically my exact experience with HM chairs. I wasn't impressed at all by the Embody even though I really wanted to like it - I found the seat was extremely comfortable but the back did just not feel right at all. Apparently it's quite a divisive chair - the woman in the store I went to mentioned that of the three ergonomics people in the store one adores the chair while the other two cannot stand it.

I ended up getting a Mirra 2 in the end. Personally I find the lumbar support quite helpful as it helps keep my back fully in contact with the seat back and makes me feel more supported; YMMV though and how useful it is will depend on your body shape.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

DoctorTristan posted:

This was basically my exact experience with HM chairs. I wasn't impressed at all by the Embody even though I really wanted to like it - I found the seat was extremely comfortable but the back did just not feel right at all. Apparently it's quite a divisive chair - the woman in the store I went to mentioned that of the three ergonomics people in the store one adores the chair while the other two cannot stand it.

I ended up getting a Mirra 2 in the end. Personally I find the lumbar support quite helpful as it helps keep my back fully in contact with the seat back and makes me feel more supported; YMMV though and how useful it is will depend on your body shape.

I have a Leap v2 I got off Craigslist a couple years ago for $200-250ish in pretty good condition, as it was from what I was told just a sample room model of sorts. It's not uncomfortable by any means or I would have replaced it right away, but I potentially wanted something more aesthetically pleasing and a bit more comfortable, so I decided to try out an Embody since I could do a trial run. I still have it and it felt nice on-site, but after a few hours I'm really unconvinced that it's that amazing, even at a few hundred dollars off retail. I could foresee the seat starting to hurt due to a lack of padding entirely, and it seems like it'll become really creaky over time. I'm glad I got to do a test run of it, though.

The Secretlab chairs look nice in the grey soft weave and the Omega 2020 would fit me per their sizing, but it really just seems like a ton of marketing fluff for the price and their return policy seems extremely poor at a glance you're basically at their discretion, from what I can tell. I sit for 10+ hours a day, so I don't like the idea of being unable to return something that costs $400 if I'm not satisfied.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think if you're sitting at a desk for 10+ hours a day, the answer is going to be spend more than $400 or get a stand up desk and sit for less than 10+ hours a day.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Pollyanna posted:

A beat-up place like this would make me think, 'oh gently caress yeah there's going to be some potentially good poo poo in here on absurd markdown'.

I came in this thread because I was unhappy with a cheap but rather sturdy and well-rated chair I got off Amazon. It'd just hurt my asscheeks within a couple of hours.

After a bit of reading, I think what I just need to do is tilt the chair back a little.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

I think if you're sitting at a desk for 10+ hours a day, the answer is going to be spend more than $400 or get a stand up desk and sit for less than 10+ hours a day.

I've been looking at the Uplift/Jarvis and the like and may still purchase one of those. I can stick to just the frame and reuse my current Ikea table top until I happen to find something I like better.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

I've never been super impressed by my Embody but as it's got tons of things to fiddle with I can always go "oh maybe if I adjust it" (combined with a standing desk for endless tinkering). As far as the Humanscale freedom I had before, I'm the only one in the family who liked it. Really people should find a showroom to try multiple brands but that isn't always going to be convenient.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

But did you get the cloth?!

Yes I did!

A good week now and this chair is still awesome. No buyers remorse at all.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Looking to get my first serious computer chair. Spotted this retailer on ebay that specializes in refurb chairs: https://www.ebay.com/usr/madisonseating?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

They got a ton of options - I think I'm leaning towards the Steelcase Leap. Is this what's considered a v1 Leap? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steelcase-Leap-Chair-Open-Box-Fully-Loaded-Black-Fabric-/121882349228?_trksid=p5731.m3795 Is it to be avoided if it is a v1?

Any recommendations in regards to what they have available?