Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Home is a pretty standard game of its type and I didn't think it was substantially better or worse than most other titles like it. I don't know if that speaks more of my dislike of the genre or of its low average quality, but there you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Home was garbage.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What if Killerman... is you?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So the Blair Witch game is out this month and there seems to be no buzz around it, I'm hoping it's a sleeper hit that's really good. But there's not much to go on to be that stoked about it, I guess I can't get disappointed. :v:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I got a review key for new cyber-viking horror adventure Apsulov: End of Gods, from the same developers that made the great Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn. If you're around tonight, we can check it out together:

https://www.twitch.tv/goldplatedgames

EDIT: Stream's done, and jeezy creezy I don't remember the last time a horror game got me so many times

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 10, 2019

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

sigher posted:

So the Blair Witch game is out this month and there seems to be no buzz around it, I'm hoping it's a sleeper hit that's really good. But there's not much to go on to be that stoked about it, I guess I can't get disappointed. :v:

I imagine the market for smaller horror stuff is definitely less driven by traditional marketing. Aside from multiplayer games, it's perhaps the #1 genre whose sales are driven by streamers, let's players, and word of mouth. Or at least as far as I can tell. If the team behind the game is doing something right, their focus is getting the game infront of influencers right around release.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That sounds like a solid plan and I wonder if we're gonna start seeing big names start to stream/post YouTube videos soon. I kinda want to go in blind, but I also want a bit more of what the game is going to play like.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Well seeing that the developer's only other game is 'Layers of Fear 2', I guess Blair Witch's enjoyment will kinda hinge on that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The last Blair Witch game was so notoriously bad that I kind of want to be cynical about it on basic principle, but Layers of Fear 2 was well-received enough that I'm sure whatever we get, it'll at least be decent.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wasn’t the last Blair Witch game the sequel to Nocturne? I liked that game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Wasn’t the last Blair Witch game the sequel to Nocturne? I liked that game.
That was only the first episode of the first Blair Witch game, the other two episodes of the game weren't made by Terminal Reality so they dropped the ties to Nocturne.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The blair witch games are something I'd call interesting, even if they aren't necessarily good. I'm glad they exist and I am also glad that if we count them as canon then you have the blair witch project film being canon to loving bloodrayne lol

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I really liked the old Blair Witch Games. Scratched my Nocturne itch a bit and I’m a sucker for tank control horror.

I wish the Terminal Reality games were available somewhere. Nocturne is straight up a genre highlight.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, Nocturne, I had completely forgotten about that. I never actually got to play it myself, but the reviews at the time made it sound very good. Anyone know if it can be found on GOG or wherever? Casual Google search has given me a bunch of abandonware sites, but no legitimate places to buy it. I would like to avoid option 1 if possible.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, Nocturne, I had completely forgotten about that. I never actually got to play it myself, but the reviews at the time made it sound very good. Anyone know if it can be found on GOG or wherever? Casual Google search has given me a bunch of abandonware sites, but no legitimate places to buy it. I would like to avoid option 1 if possible.

Nope, it must be lost in some legal limbo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, and I suspect with Terminal Reality dead it'll be a bit before anyone tries cracking open that tomb. I need to get back to it, I was half-way through chapter 3. Then go and do the Blair Witch games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What a shame. Guess I'll have to wait until leaves legal limbo, then. Yup. Most assuredly, that is exactly what I am going to do.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cardiovorax posted:

What a shame. Guess I'll have to wait until leaves legal limbo, then. Yup. Most assuredly, that is exactly what I am going to do.

I still have my discs but they won’t work :smith:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Same.

Played the game to death.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm finishing Apsulov: End of Gods tonight if you'd like to live vicariously through me instead of picking it up just yet.

EDIT: And it's done! Really solid game all the way through. Great atmosphere, some really good scares, great story, and even a little combat. The "weapon" you get really adds a lot to the game, encouraging exploration and giving you options when dealing with enemies.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 15, 2019

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Saw these at walmart. I guess it was only a matter of time. Idk why but it bugs me that these exist. I mean, good on him for being able to turn a profit off of something that is designed to intentionally look lovely but at the end of the day it is still a toy designed to look lovely and it makes it kinda look like it is going the route of similar stuff like hello neighbor or bendy where they're focused on lore vids and selling toys.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it though. I mean, the FNAF dude went merch-heavy too and still tried to maintain some kind of consistent quality in his games so idk

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The thing about Baldi is that there is no lore and definitely no quality and the designer totally accepts that. It's a sincere poo poo game, probably the closest Western concept of a kusoge, which you can't say the same about Hello Neighbor or Bendy because they fell off a cliff immediately. And you can tell because all the clones directly copying Baldi try to inject streamer friendly content like jump scares and hidden lore but John Wolfe was quick to point out how insincere all that poo poo is for this reason. Baldi works because there's no hidden motive, dude just wants to callback to Sonic's Schoolhouse and 90s Christian games.

I say good on him. I don't think he had any aspirations for game development, he just submitted a game jam and is now paying through college so gently caress yes live the American dream by making money selling junk.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

FirstAidKite posted:

Saw these at walmart. I guess it was only a matter of time. Idk why but it bugs me that these exist. I mean, good on him for being able to turn a profit off of something that is designed to intentionally look lovely but at the end of the day it is still a toy designed to look lovely and it makes it kinda look like it is going the route of similar stuff like hello neighbor or bendy where they're focused on lore vids and selling toys.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it though. I mean, the FNAF dude went merch-heavy too and still tried to maintain some kind of consistent quality in his games so idk

Did they really rate these as age 14+?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Who do you think homestuck was aimed at

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The principal should just be a cardboard standup.

Also holy hell at his flesh bowtie.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

The thing about Baldi is that there is no lore

I thought there was a bunch of extra stuff added in for some of the more recent versions of the game, like the whole "there is a guy trapped inside the game" thing

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So it looks like Little Nightmares 2 just got announced and I am pretty stoked, given how much I enjoyed the original game. Currently scheduled to release in 2020 at some point.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Dunno why but Nocturne runs on my laptop. I was shocked at its visuals when I played it earlier this year. 1999? Holy poo poo.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
My computer at the time couldn't handle Nocturne's flowing trench coat.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I just now realized that Nightmare Creatures and Nocturne were not the same game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is nocturne just really really dark? I tried looking up gameplay vids of it but all of them were more-or-less pitch black.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
didn’t the Spooky’s House dev buy the rights to Nightmare Creatures?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'm finishing Apsulov: End of Gods tonight if you'd like to live vicariously through me instead of picking it up just yet.

EDIT: And it's done! Really solid game all the way through. Great atmosphere, some really good scares, great story, and even a little combat. The "weapon" you get really adds a lot to the game, encouraging exploration and giving you options when dealing with enemies.

Doom but the portal leads to Norse mythology instead of Hell (plotwise, not gameplay) doesn’t sound very scary but it is.

I genuinely found parts of it to be very upsetting.

Big spoilers!
The audio log of one guy screaming/crying that he was tricked into becoming immortal, being flayed, and then desperately wishing to die and jealous of everyone else who died. The fact that even those who could die, and anyone who died in the past hundred/thousand years, probably had their soul eaten as soon as the showed up in the afterlife because the gods are dead and the afterlife is now crawling with monsters. Even the land of the frost giants was unsettling because it’s just an endless sprawl of frozen mountains and eternal night where nothing has changed in hundreds of thousands of years.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

Is nocturne just really really dark? I tried looking up gameplay vids of it but all of them were more-or-less pitch black.
When I played it, there was like, global illumination, I think. No area was completely dark.
Nocturne is weird.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

When you play it you can see but yeah some of it is really dark which looks worse in videos.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nocturne had pretty sophisticated lighting for 1999. Sometimes they got carried away but graphically it was like REmake for its time.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought there was a bunch of extra stuff added in for some of the more recent versions of the game, like the whole "there is a guy trapped inside the game" thing

There is, but from what I remember it comes off more like an easter egg and keeps up with the parody aspect by breaking the forth wall with a lengthy, glitchy dialog (one of the rules in Baldi’s is “no fourth wall breaks). Other extras have more to do with what the dev wanted to add to the game in the first place but didn’t have time during the original game jam period.

John Wolfe played the Kickstarter demo a couple days ago. No math in this one (!) but now there are random events like the bathrooms flooding. The school is now a randomly generated layout but the layout gets mapped as you go. And Playtime is still adorably annoying.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I would also argue that unlike Bendy and others, Baldi’s gameplay has genuine tension, planning, and fun involved that isn’t ‘run from monster, collect lore’

John was clearly frustrated but in a way where he kept playing to get better, that’s a good sign

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i think observation was mediocre. the times where you talk to the storm presence with matching were so jarring and out of nowhere, and im not sure what was transpiring exactly. the external parts of the ship should have been more clearly marked. i could not complete the last ten second time puzzles for blowing the parts off the ship with a keyboard at all, there is lag in between moving to a spot and activating it. the ending would have had more impact if the emma/sam relationship felt like a real connection. emmas animations were too stiff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So it looks like Little Nightmares 2 just got announced and I am pretty stoked, given how much I enjoyed the original game. Currently scheduled to release in 2020 at some point.

gently caress yeah, I loved the first game.