Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
i agree that lfg has died down tremendously (sometimes there are no groups at all) but i figured that had to do with my dumpster SR

when i make a group for qp people join it though, so idk i dont got a good explanation. my usual headline is "big idiot mercy main here, big butt too"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The problem with comp LFG is it was taken over by people that would boot (or request boots, if not the leader) players if they didn't have good stats, win rate in chosen role, or had too many hours on off-meta heros (or wouldn't make their profile public) in attempts to make the perfect team that will for sure climb. The type of people that are convinced they are only stuck at their current SR because they have bad luck with their teammates. It wasn't always like that, but that seemed to be the majority of who was left using LFG after a few months.

There was initially a lot of enthusiasm for the feature, as I believe the thought was if you get together a 2-2-2 team of team oriented players, you'll have better games and climbing will be easier. However, since your team gets matched up against other 6 stacks with the same mentality, you don't actually gain any edge, so you could still have lopsided games. I believe it was also possible for a 6 stack LFG group to be matched up with a traditional 6 stack of friends, which if true probably even put the LFG group at a disadvantage (6 strangers vs 6 people who have played together before). Also, no matter how well intentioned your teammates are, they are still around the same SR as your solo queue teammates, and thus make the same mistakes (just like you do). All that combined with the fact that teams would often disband after just 1 or 2 losses, and I think the overhead of trying to get an LFG group going didn't seem worth it to a lot of people.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 20, 2019

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I liked LFG just to ensure two things: 1- people can communicate and 2- people get the role they want.

The new system only ensures one of those two things. Again I don't care about winning or losing I just want to be able to work as a team. It's pretty easy to tell before the game even starts if an LFG team will or will not turn against itself as soon as things don't go well for the team.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

It's a pittance, but I like that role queue gives you credits for games played as the needed role.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I dont play a lot of damage but I love new sym teleporter a whole hell of a lot

Having it down in a teamfight means you can leap in to left click some dudes and then dip out when they notice you

I had someone swap to kill the teleporter and that was fine with me, I killed them while they did it

The bigger range is cool and also you don't have to really pay attention to when it will expire anymore, only if the enemy is blasting it

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Ad by Khad posted:

I dont play a lot of damage but I love new sym teleporter a whole hell of a lot

Having it down in a teamfight means you can leap in to left click some dudes and then dip out when they notice you

I had someone swap to kill the teleporter and that was fine with me, I killed them while they did it

The bigger range is cool and also you don't have to really pay attention to when it will expire anymore, only if the enemy is blasting it

If you really want to rage people out, shoot your turrets through it, they end up sitting in the middle of the other pad and are very hard to hit.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Kephrii discovered the timer for queues only counts up to 64 minutes before looping back around to zero again.

On the one hand it's good to not be in a ladder game with Kephrii, on the other hand love those eternal DPS queues we all knew were coming but everyone still seems surprised by.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I mentioned the deeps queues a lot pre-release... buuuut to be fair times only seem to get close to that high at high ranks.

I do think the shorter ~10-15 minute queues that arent news will have a larger impact on the playerbase than people realize.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flakeloaf posted:

Kephrii discovered the timer for queues only counts up to 64 minutes before looping back around to zero again.

I believe this had always been a known thing, although it's going to become a lot more apparent to high ranked dps players

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Dps players deserve longer ques because they are selfish people ;)
But seriously it also encourages new players to try something that isn't dps. I agree anything 15 min plus is def harsh, but for most 5 min ques just like play a support, or tank maybe? There's a bunch that are fun and cool, and some secondarily focus on dps or gettin kills, like hog and zen. You can even learn a bunch of useful dps knowledge by playin supports or tanks and seeing their weaknesses firsthand

E: I guess pros have a valid excuse to complain about que times, because perhaps they're only pro at a certain dps

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 22, 2019

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

the queues swing very very wildly based on your SR

some guy in the general chat was bitching that his mid-plat dps queues were 12-15 minutes and a guy in masters was saying he waits 2-3 minutes, and in bronze my damage queue is rarely over 90 seconds

also damage ended up being my highest SR by a considerable degree even though i have been a lucio/mercy main for three years, lmao

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I'm struggling to feel bad for people who face high queue times because (in a team game) they refuse to play anything other than their chosen pew pew role, ever. Those people are why this was necessary in the first place.

Learn to play some other heroes. :shrug:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I'm low plat it's < 9 minutes for dps generally. And 1-4 minutes for tank/support

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Truecon420 posted:

But seriously it also encourages new players to try something that isn't dps.

If they dive in with both feet, ask for help and honestly try to play well, even if they suck out loud, I'll take it.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Being a Moira/support main is rad right now, I get bribed with boxes and credits just for playing matches

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best thing they can do now is equalize the amount of damage, tank, and support heroes. By my estimate, at the current rate, it should only take 6 years!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just started playing this again after 2ish years and there's a lot of new heroes! who's good/fun in poo poo tier among tanks/healers right now? I like Ana and I tried Orisa earlier and had fun.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Healers are fairly well balanced at the moment - only one with possible issues is brig and that's mostly because her playstyle got changed drastically. Tanks wise Orisa is the current meta but they all pretty much work well.

esports magazine
Aug 23, 2019

page 83: NERF THIS! 6 hot new Irelia builds to make him SWEAT!

wanjeon joh-a! new meta! douyu's future superstar, today!
:potg:

The Clowner posted:

The best thing they can do now is equalize the amount of damage, tank, and support heroes. By my estimate, at the current rate, it should only take 6 years!

jeff has spoken a lot about doing this but even as a support main i feel like the damage friends shouldnt be left out forever when it comes to new hero options

fortunately the damage friends AREN'T actually left out forever, and the three heroes added post-release are all pretty cool. sombra's been up and down a lot, doomfist has been up and down a lot (and is coming back recently), ashe hasnt had her time yet but i've still seen GM players do insane things with her. watching EFFECT play ashe was an absolute masterclass. they're all interesting in their own way, which is a good sign for future heroes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I've found Ashe to be really good and versatile, though she's mildly hampered by both the prevalence of Shield Heroes lately(as her kit is terrible at dealing with Shields, though that's true for a lot of Damage Heroes), and the global nerf to Ult charge rates(as BOB is an essential part of her kit and not being able to throw him out as frequently is a bummer)

But then I'm very much convinced they need to do something to deal with how good Shield Heroes are now(as it makes turtling a bit too good on a lot of maps), and I see it as being one or more of the following as being the solution;

1) nerf the shield health of the shields that Orisa and Sigma use, as well as the one in Symmetra's Ult(Reinhardt's is fine, and Bridgette's actually needs a bit of a buff)

2) remove or reduce the global nerf to Ult charge rates(especially since that basically cripples certain Heroes who are more reliant on their Ult than others)

3) change it so damaging Shields counts towards Ult charge, obviously not to the extent that shooting a person does, but it should contribute something to that, rather than how it currently feels where shooting shields just feels like you're wasting time and effort, especially since teams will often have both of their Tank slots dedicated to shields, which means they can basically do an infinite loop of shields if they time things right

4) increase how much damage certain weapons and/or abilities do to Shields, possibly even allow some to ignore shields completely

esports magazine
Aug 23, 2019

page 83: NERF THIS! 6 hot new Irelia builds to make him SWEAT!

wanjeon joh-a! new meta! douyu's future superstar, today!
:potg:
shields are indeed very good and popular right now and the most recent nerf to Orisa seemed like them trying to be incremental about making things more balanced, a more restrained change in an era of massive ones

there's been some wider talk on the internet about countering shield tanks and the leaderboard is bearing that out, with doomfist and sym and sniper crossfire appearing more often now than some might expect

though hammond is also pretty prominent on the leaderboard too so it's not some meta stranglehold

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

prom candy posted:

I just started playing this again after 2ish years and there's a lot of new heroes! who's good/fun in poo poo tier among tanks/healers right now? I like Ana and I tried Orisa earlier and had fun.

Moira is fun and good in gold/plat and I would imagine she is a god in lower ranks.

Wrecking Ball is kind of tricky to play but the main trick is to not even try to score kills and be an rear end in a top hat ball who rolls around and occasionally smacks into enemies.

Sigma came in just a few weeks ago and he seems pretty fun.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I can't play him. Sigma looks so dumb and I can't stand his corny rear end poo poo in my mother tongue

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
can't understand why you wouldn't want to take off your shoes and stroopwafel into space

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm pretty sure if shooting barriers gave even like a tiny bit of ult charge, people would start shooting them on the regular.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm pretty sure if shooting barriers gave even like a tiny bit of ult charge, people would start shooting them on the regular.

Exactly, not to mention that would make it easier to break up that kind of turtling due to more frequent Ults being fired off

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shields would do more harm than good if they gave any ult charge at all

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

shields would do more harm than good if they gave any ult charge at all

I'm really not seeing how that could be the case at all

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here's a hot take: give some of the heroes a shield busting passive that increases damage to shields and barriers, like junkrat and soldier for example.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

drrockso20 posted:

"Let me shield you, comrades!"
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING, YOUR FEEDING THEM ULT CHARGE!"
"Oops, guess I can't play Winston/Rein/Gitte/Sigma/Orisa/Zarya"
"WHY CAN'T I GET ANY COVER? WHERE ARE THE SHIELDS?!"

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Also, you don't want to create a situation where sitting back and trying to farm ult off shields without engaging might sometimes be considered a good play. That would lead to some boring game play.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

it doesn't matter if you get less ult from a shield. shields have way more health than players do and it's really hard to miss them. even a bad hanzo would be able to farm ult every 30 seconds just spamming storm arrow at orisa shield, then ult through it. symmetra literally can't run out of ammo while shooting at shields so you can infinitely farm ult. shields giving ult would break the ult economy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Boogle posted:

Here's a hot take: give some of the heroes a shield busting passive that increases damage to shields and barriers, like junkrat and soldier for example.

That was basically one of my suggestions

Also is it just me or is Torbjorn kinda meh right now?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Wrong thread

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 24, 2019

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Also is it just me or is Torbjorn kinda meh right now?

Torbjorn has never been good outside of memes.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Anyone know why arcade is gone?

Nevermind I was in PTR

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 24, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

berenzen posted:

Torbjorn has never been good outside of memes.

Admittedly I played mostly in Quick Play till the most recent patch, but I often did very well with him, even after they changed him to his current ability loadout, but for whatever reason the last couple times I've used him it feels like his damage output is a lot worse than what it was before, and his turret now feels pretty useless as it's damage output and durability feel rather lacking

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Torbjorn's ability to contribute drops like a rock as soon as he's against skilled opponents. What may have happened is that you climbed, and now you're against better players, so Torb's suckiness has come to the surface.

e: His specific problem is exactly what you said: the turret is way too fragile and way too weak... unless your enemies just stand in its LoS and let it shoot them with impunity. Opponents who notice it and react appropriately can avoid its damage and kill it with basically zero effort, because Blizzard doesn't understand that shooting a large, stationary object is easier than shooting a supersonic bouncing ninja man who can reflect bullets.

megane fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 24, 2019

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The turret is best used as a flanker deterrent in higher levels. Just park the thing at an off angle in your backline and suddenly tracer, doomfist, reaper, genji and pharah won't be able to assassinate your Ana for free, or if they do, they probably won't get out alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

megane posted:

Torbjorn's ability to contribute drops like a rock as soon as he's against skilled opponents. What may have happened is that you climbed, and now you're against better players, so Torb's suckiness has come to the surface.

e: His specific problem is exactly what you said: the turret is way too fragile and way too weak... unless your enemies just stand in its LoS and let it shoot them with impunity. Opponents who notice it and react appropriately can avoid its damage and kill it with basically zero effort, because Blizzard doesn't understand that shooting a large, stationary object is easier than shooting a supersonic bouncing ninja man who can reflect bullets.

I think Blizzard is well aware that his turret is pretty poo poo. They've admitted in the past that they are ok with having a few heroes that are basically non-entities in high-level play because they're very viable in lower tiers of play. It's possible they've changed their philosophy since then (this was before Sym's first rework, IIRC), but that philosophy definitely seems accurate when looking at Bastion and Torbjorn. Both can be quite oppressive at low tiers.

Also, it's hard to balance an AI turret across all skill tiers--either it's too good at low tiers, or not good enough at high tiers. I guess they could have some kind of dynamic scaling where its effectiveness scales up with the player's rank, but that'd be very different from any other character's design philosophy of staying the exact same across all tiers.