Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Here are some photos from Galaxy's Edge. The full album is on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cchard/albums/72157710399383551

Overall I really liked it. Millennium Falcon was a lot of fun and I rode it six times. I tried the blue and green milks and while both were Ok I liked blue better. Lunch at the Landing Pad wasn't that great. I had the chicken, whatever they called it, and while the sauce was good the chicken itself was not. In terms of alien cusine I much prefer the Pandoran. The stores in the market had some cool stuff but they were all too small and it was hard to look at everything. I also managed to get into Oga's Cantina as they started allowing walk-ups by the end of the day. It was really cool inside and all the drinks sounded cool. I tried a Jedi Mind Trick and Fuzzy Tauntaun. The Jedi was better but I do want to go back in the future to try more. I only saw Kylo Ren around a few times but other people said Chewbacca and Rey were also present. I also spotted a resistance member sneaking around. She hid from Kylo and the stormtroopers before approaching a kid to talk about some mission or something. Finally, I reccomend you download the Disney Play app. The Datapad has a lot of little games in it and some things are interactive with items around the land. For example, I could hack the A-Wing and it made noises like it was starting up.

Black Spire Outpost
Millennium Falcon
X-Wing
Market
Oga's Cantina
Porg wood carving
A little short to be a Stormtrooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Old and new drinks? One had a souvenir cup I assume?

I always wonder how big the IG influencer community/blogs have an impact on how Disney does things.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I was not really impressed with Galaxy's Edge or the Millennium Falcon ride. It didn't really feel very falcony. I thought gunning might involve some actual, you know, aiming. Mission Space feels more authentic, even.

At least it didn't make me motion sick.

Edit: spoke too soon. My wife had us ride again because she was certain we could pilot better than the strangers the first time. We definitely could, but sitting closer to the screen wrecked me.

Also, I knew she couldn't handle up and down, but she really wanted the hyperspace switch and her mom was there, so we scraped every possible ceiling.

The first ride ended with negative money, but when we piloted we got 9000+.

Edit 2: Ok, the sun has gone down and this place feels amazing now. Literally night and day.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 19, 2019

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Zero One posted:

In short: noted critical Disney blogger Al Lutz and Miceage/Micechat were always shills for Disney and more specifically Robert Iger. Their negative reporting on DCA 15 years ago was carefully planned by Iger to get Eisner fired. They were also behind the Roy Disney SaveDisney campaign that was part of that plan.

Al Lutz came out of retirement this week (just after the Q3 reporting and just before D23) after years specifically to say how terrible Galaxy's Edge is and how badly Bob Chapek (current head of Disney parks) handled it.

Why is he back? Because the original campaign was also coordinated by George Kalogridis (current head of WDW) and he may be trying to take out Chapek as a potential successor to Iger.

The Lutz article shows how much they cut from Galaxy's Edge (particularly entertainment/show/actors and the bantha ride), and describes that Oga's cantina was originally just a lobby bar for a much bigger planned experience is another tell.

The follow up artice from Snyder is weird because the author (Gary Snyder and his brother Michael, who posted with the wdw1974/Spirit nickname on wdwmagic) are part of the Redstone family that owns CBS/Viacom and who were actively trying to get consulting work for WDW via the WDW President (It all started after the original DCA flop and the combo of the general hit on travel after 9/11/2001). I think the original Lutz article "Promising the Moon" is what set it off https://www.micechat.com/233418-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-promising-the-moon/ Gary has written about theme parks before for the LA Times and others, I think the most recently memorable was him leaking early plans/art of Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Florida.

Again, It's just weird to follow and complicated-- so good luck. One thing is for sure, Galaxy's Edge is going to forever change Disneyland/World, in completely unexpected ways.

edit: screwed up some of the names, fixed.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 19, 2019

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah the drama continued overnight on wdwmagic. The Disneyland forum outed the author of the story as well known "insider" Spirit / WDW1974 or his brother. Then the Miceage guy showed up, made a bunch of claims and then backtracked a lot. I haven't read the whole thing but it's all crazy.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Grabbing a quick lunch at Disney Springs, then it’s off to Galaxy’s Edge at one. Then Trader Sam’s and some MK fastpasses. Gonna be a big day.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s kinda funny that Star Wars Land is so bad that Disney is already having people try to spin it. From what I read it’s not horrendous just underwhelming?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

It’s kinda funny that Star Wars Land is so bad that Disney is already having people try to spin it. From what I read it’s not horrendous just underwhelming?

It's had very positive reviews except for a few things, which they look to be tweaking (they've already started letting you add alcohol to the milks). It's had a completely normal response equivalent to what Pandora had when it opened. It's only "bad" if you were expecting it to look like a scene from a zombie apocalypse where a crowd of 10,000 is pounding on the walls demanding to be let inside, devouring any cast members unlucky enough to be caught and have their costumes stripped from them to sell on eBay.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I think for a lot of people it's the original concept vs reality. See the recent "AL Lutz" story for the what-could-have-been:

A third ride which was a super low capacity peoplemover on the back of robot animals
Full service dinner show restaurant
More characters out on the streets including various "shows"
Roaming droids
Flying drone spaceships
Multiple mission types for Millennium Falcon
An even more elaborate Rise of the Resistance

What they did is very well executed but people wanted / expected more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, all of that stuff is really elaborate. The land has room for expansion (at least at Hollywood Studios), but imagine trying to balance the work and budget for all of that in addition to what we have and all of the other construction work going on. What we got basically matches the effort put into Pandora, which saw a similar amount of construction time. Bringing out the full concept with three rides, dinner theatre, multiple missions, drones, etc. would have just meant pushing back the opening even further.

Theme park fans in general have a big problem with confusing their own wild expectations with what's actually plausible and getting upset that the fantasy they built in their head didn't come true.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe they should have charged admission for "alpha testing".

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Zero One posted:

I think for a lot of people it's the original concept vs reality. See the recent "AL Lutz" story for the what-could-have-been:

A third ride which was a super low capacity peoplemover on the back of robot animals
Full service dinner show restaurant
More characters out on the streets including various "shows"
Roaming droids
Flying drone spaceships
Multiple mission types for Millennium Falcon
An even more elaborate Rise of the Resistance

What they did is very well executed but people wanted / expected more.

are you sure this isn't just retrofitting now that the "Al Lutz" story is out? the only ones of these I had even heard of prior to the story were the bantha peoplemover from the concept art and the roaming droids thing from jim hill

I'm going to wait till RoR is out to go to GE but everything I've heard is that it's good and will get better when RoR is open so I dunno why people are so upset.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Empress Brosephine posted:

Citation needed

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The most negative things you see are that Smuggler's Run is underwhelming and that green milk sucks and food is just ok. Aside from pointing at attendance numbers in DL being low, is there really anything else to go by here?

They made a call to block out a chunk of their APs in DL which was purposeful because no one really had an idea how chaotic the opening of this would be. There were podcasts, blogs, and articles galore trying to brainstorm how disney could potentially handle a feeding frenzy of guests. They might have gone a bit heavy handed in DL with the crowd management decisions, but they are still having issues keeping certain merch stocked, the attractions are still very popular, and in general most guest experiences there have been incredibly positive.

The list of things that could have been could easily be implemented later on. It's not unusual for Disney to add and remove street attractions on a whim so I wouldn't be shocked if roaming and flying droids suddenly popped up once the whole land is running full steam.
I think a sit down restaurant is a no brainer and probably was cut in the mean time to meet deadlines. I honestly can't see how the star wars hotel would even work without a sit down experience, in any case (Disney, just set it as a show in Jaba's throne room, something akin to star wars flavored Medieval Times, you can send me the check in the mail)

It sounds like the Ray/Kylo/Chewbacca/Troopers wandering is actually working fairly well and with any luck will encourage more of that sort of immersive theater.

Basically, just be patient. Disney knows this is their Harry Potter and they are going to milk it and expand because it sells. If anything, there's probably some accountant there that is encouraging slow roll out of features as it causes repeat visits.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Dren posted:

are you sure this isn't just retrofitting now that the "Al Lutz" story is out? the only ones of these I had even heard of prior to the story were the bantha peoplemover from the concept art and the roaming droids thing from jim hill

I'm going to wait till RoR is out to go to GE but everything I've heard is that it's good and will get better when RoR is open so I dunno why people are so upset.

There is concept art of the restaurant and the MF missions.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah Disney is going to improve and expand this Star Wars stuff way beyond something like Pandora or any other concepts they quickly gave up on. Really the last thing I’d be worried about

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

Zero One posted:

There is concept art of the restaurant and the MF missions.

The roaming droids and the show (at least the stunt show using some of the roofs/bridges) was actually announced by and discussed Disney (there's in a video of early work on the stunt show), but was dropped.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Disneyland question: Will Ubers go from LAX to the park? My hotel is right across the street. I looked at that Disneyland shuttle and the cost is about the same for my party.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Atricks posted:

The roaming droids and the show (at least the stunt show using some of the roofs/bridges) was actually announced by and discussed Disney (there's in a video of early work on the stunt show), but was dropped.

They had a variant of the stunt show at Disneyland during the opening days. It was quickly dropped (likely for budget reasons)

Jose Oquendo posted:

Disneyland question: Will Ubers go from LAX to the park? My hotel is right across the street. I looked at that Disneyland shuttle and the cost is about the same for my party.

While I am sure they will drive you there, wow that'd be a pricey uber.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 20, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They had a variant of the stunt show at Disneyland during the opening days. It was quickly dropped (likely for budget reasons)

While I am sure they will drive you there, wow that'd be a pricey uber.

The Disneyland Express is $96 round trip for 2 people. I went to Uber's fare estimator and it's $55 one way. Not much difference and I don't have to worry about a bus schedule or a bus making stops.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Uber will get you there, or there are other services as well

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I’m not a first timer, but last went 12 years ago, and I am debating dragging my fiancé to WDW for a couple of days when we go to visit my parents in Orlando in a week or so. Besides Magic Kingdom, what is the next biggest must see park? Back when I went last Epcot was “cool” because I was a big tech nerd, but I’d be worried it’s lame now, and neither of the other two parks felt like full day things. I suspect that a ton has changed since then.

I guess I’m looking at the Afternoon 2 day pass to get the price to a reasonable level, I could afford all day passes and add the park hopper, but my fiancé has never been to a theme park and is balking at the full day prices as she grew up desperately poor, and she thinks this is an extremely bougie luxury. So I worry if I splurge on something that’s visible she’s gonna be fretting over that instead of enjoying herself.

Also what’s up with the Star Wars stuff? It looks like it’s half opening next week and it sounds like folks think it’s gonna be insanely crowded?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's the middle of summer. Every park there will be packed. You could honestly spend 2 days in the Magic Kingdom easily. But if you wanted another park, I'd say Hollywood Studios. You've got the new Toy Story section, and some other rides in Hollywood Studios like the Tower of Terror which is really fuckin good. I think even excluding Galaxy's Edge, you could spend a day at there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
AK is a full day park if you do the shows and stuff as well as being a nice change of pace after MK. The bird show, Lion King, and Nemo are all great.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Actually quite the contrary. During this time, mostly due to schools going back and it being hot as gently caress, the parks on any other year would be slow. Galaxy's Edge might throw a wrench into that though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

couldcareless posted:

Actually quite the contrary. During this time, mostly due to schools going back and it being hot as gently caress, the parks on any other year would be slow. Galaxy's Edge might throw a wrench into that though.

Maybe? Next weekend is labor day weekend, the last hurrah before school starts for a lot of places, so it's hard to say.

Bottom Liner posted:

AK is a full day park if you do the shows and stuff as well as being a nice change of pace after MK. The bird show, Lion King, and Nemo are all great.

That's a good point too.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 20, 2019

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

couldcareless posted:

This was my experience when I went the week after labor day once as a child. It was hot and dead. But that’s 16 years ago? So maybe that’s way out of date.

I’ll be there the week before and after Labor Day. I was leaning towards MK and Hollywood but we aren’t Star Wars fans really, and I’m debating if she’d like AK more. That’s a good point re MK, I guess I feel like I’ve seen a ton of it and it never felt like it changed that much so I don’t know if I’d spend multiple days there as there is a ton I’d skip. However since she’s never been I don’t know.

We could also totally do 3-4 days but I don’t want to over do it, and even though we can completely afford it, she’s close to a panic attack around money in general as it is because she’s going part time at work while getting her masters, so I’m gonna worried she’ll be super upset if this balloons into $1k to get us in the door. I’m not thrilled at the pricing either tbh. I’m also very thankful to my parents for taking me so many times.

We’ve been to most of the countries in the world showcase, so I’d worry it’d be too kitschy, doesn’t seem like Epcot gets lots of love and sounds safe to skip.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 20, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you only have 2 days and 2 parks it’s MK and AK. Flight of passage is amazing and Pandora is nice. Festival of the lion king is awesome.

Yes the parks are expensive, but if you think about it they basically operate a city the size of 100,000 people. Transportation, utilities, everything.

I think you can add park hopper to the after 12 ticket as well. If she likes toy story it could be cool to walk through the land. Ride lines will be long though.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Disneyland Express is $96 round trip for 2 people. I went to Uber's fare estimator and it's $55 one way. Not much difference and I don't have to worry about a bus schedule or a bus making stops.

We are planning to Uber from Anaheim to our hotel next door to LAX. I'm sure there are cheaper ways, but $55 split three ways seems like a small price to pay compared to what DL Express is asking.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Orange County schools went back in session last Monday, so at least during the week it's not locals crowding up the place. Yesterday at MK most of the big rides had waits between 75-135 minutes, but we were able to knock out 11 rides between rope drop and 4PM.

Disney is always crowded, but there's a difference between crowded and loving Crowded.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Disneyland was fairly relaxed even on Sunday.

Today I found out that I can't ride Space Mountain anymore. :(

It's sort of ok because Hyperspace Mountain is lame.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Space Mountain is rough now that I'm older. I generally ride it once when I visit, and then only if someone else in my party wants to go as well. No one in my immediate family wants to ride it, so often I just skip it. Downside of getting old. Rather ride the people mover

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Disneyland Space >> Magic Kingdom Space, at least in terms of ride smoothness

I liked Hyperspace Mountain, but I'm a sucker for Star Wars

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

How long is the Haunted Mansion 50th anniversary stuff going on at Disneyland?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

If you think you and your fiancé can get into the ~~**Disney Magic**~~ - that is, let go of the fact that you’re paying way too much to be there - Magic Kingdom is a place you can very easily spend two days.

Which it sounds like may not be entirely possible, so yeah, another vote for AK as the second park.

Epcot’s a fine park, I think even if you’re a world traveler, but the front half is very much in need of a large capital infusion and some top down reimagining.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Galaxy’s Edge delivered and it was absolutely amazing. We’re stranded with car trouble on 95 but I’ll post more for what it’s worth later. I love my custom lightsaber.

couldcareless posted:

It sounds like the Ray/Kylo/Chewbacca/Troopers wandering is actually working fairly well and with any luck will encourage more of that sort of immersive theater.
I saw Vi Moradi quite often going around and interacting with guests, but I don’t think anyone knew who she was because Disney hasn’t really promoted her.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hazo posted:

Galaxy’s Edge delivered and it was absolutely amazing. We’re stranded with car trouble on 95 but I’ll post more for what it’s worth later. I love my custom lightsaber.

Use the lightsaber to flag down help.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hazo posted:

We’re stranded with car trouble on 95 but I’ll post more for what it’s worth later.

What a piece of junk!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BlueBayou posted:

Disneyland Space >> Magic Kingdom Space, at least in terms of ride smoothness

I liked Hyperspace Mountain, but I'm a sucker for Star Wars

Two years ago I had no problems whatsoever. When I was a kid I a cast iron stomach. Maybe even titanium. Now I get nauseous at the drop of a hat.

Disneyland Space Mountain is definitely smoother and I vastly prefer it to Orlando. Actually, I can't think of a ride where the Disneyland version isn't superior or equal.

Better:
Space Mountain
PotC (almost twice as long)
Buzz Lightyear (you can pick up the guns)
Small world
Grizzly River Run (vs. Kali)

Equal:
Haunted Mansion
Big thunder mountain railroad
Jungle Cruise (although I think the skippers are allowed more leeway, and therefore funnier)
Soarin'
Star Tours
Toy Story

Hyperspace Mountain is missing the following

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPBffn6maa0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

We ended up towing the car all the way back to Walterboro only to have it start right up after nobody could find anything wrong with it.

chitoryu12 posted:

Use the lightsaber to flag down help.
I made this same joke to my fiancée if we ended up stranded after dark.

Beachcomber posted:

What a piece of junk!
We actually had the “made the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs” magnet on the back. :v:

Anyway, Galaxy’s Edge. A lot has been said about how it has room for potential growth, and I agree, but it’s still a masterpiece. I like how it doesn’t smash you in the face like Pandora. In fact, it’s rather quiet as you first enter. Heads up: I’m gonna talk a bunch about Savi’s since nobody in this thread has yet, and it’s what I was most looking forward to.

Our pass started at 1, and after presenting our credentials we were allowed into the heavily blockaded entryway area next to the Muppets gift shop. I wanted to explore a little but they said I had to report to Savi’s for my “metal shop” at 1:10. The trail leading in was quiet, as I said, until you started seeing signs of tech and eventually full on Resistance ships.

Signing in at Savi’s wasn’t as covert and surreptitious as I was led to believe— it’s a basic walk up register with the cast members echoing the “scrap metal” lines where you wait outside the door with the other builders. I’m not gonna go over the whole show since you can look it up on YouTube if you want to be spoiled, but I will say it felt a little rushed. I had an idea of what saber I wanted to build but I would’ve liked to play around with the different sleeve and end cap combinations some more. The shop leader (he only said his name once so I have no idea what it was) did his intro spiel and basically said “ok go” and then all the assisting cast members spread out amongst the stations. If you had trouble with a part (the threading is a little tricky and while I can dis- and re-assemble it easily now after playing with it a while, it wasn’t very intuitive at first) the CMs would essentially take it and do it for you, which I thought took away from the immersiveness. I get that they have to accommodate lots of guests, but for $215 I’d have liked some more time. Sidenote: there were way too many CMs for what was needed, but clearly they’re still figuring out what kind of staffing they need for each area.

I walked in planning on a yellow blade, but even though I could see it in his demo box, its Kyber crystal wasn’t available in the canisters the CMs brought around. So I snagged a purple because I like blue but already have the Master Replicas Anakin and D23 Rey sabers. Once we finished building, we stood back so the cast members could set up for the most impressive part, which was the way they ignited the sabers.

We all got padded over-the-shoulder sheaths for our new sabers, which answered my question of how they were going to let guests carry them around the park without breaking them or showing them to the roving troopers. I would’ve rather had them sent to the front of the park but again, it may be an adjustment they make later. The sheaths are crap and started unraveling and pilling almost right away, but they got the job done. I think I saw some better quality cases available in the shop where we headed next.

I picked up a yellow and red crystal. A shop attendee was standing attentively against the wall of crystals and holocrons, and I asked him if they’d found a way to solve the problem of eBay sellers coming in and shining lights through the red crystals to find and sell the special obsidian ones. He laughed and said, “You’re looking at him.” Apparently they’re going to either add foil wrappers or keep them behind the counter, but for now they’ve authorized CMs to tell people to quit touching the merch.

We hit the Falcon after that, and then two more times later. I got to do everything except left pilot. Piloting was fun, but I loved engineering. You got to watch and take in more but still feel like you were helping with your button mashing. Unlike gunning, which was both tedious and physically uncomfortable. You’re poking at the wall T-Rex style, and you can choose from manual or automatic gunning. I, a veteran of Rebel Assault/X-Wing/Rogue Squadron, thought I’d be cool by picking manual. I got five kills. My fiancée picked auto and got 25. So I hated gunning.

It rained pretty heavily for a while and we got to enjoy seeing the management staff walk around frowning and complaining about the various spills caused by the banners and drapery hanging above the market area.

I saw troopers harassing people like they did in regular Hollywood studios. Rey walked around silently visiting ships and I never saw her interact with anyone. Vi was killing it. Chewie hammed it up and bolted away whenever he saw FO coming. I never caught sight of Kylo in the five hours I was there (I took Zero One’s advice and noticed that nobody actually made you leave at the end of your preview time) but I’m sure he was around.

Ronto wraps were incredible, but also incredibly overpriced. It’s a $13 gyro. No thanks. Blue milk was surprisingly refreshing. We didn’t see Oga’s. We didn’t have reservations, but the attendant outside said if we waited to pounce when the line was short enough, we might get invited in. But we decided to keep exploring.

Speaking of, I had an absolute blast playing with the datapad. It’s a great way to pass time in line for the falcon but it’s also a great feature on its own. I actually ended up helping the First Order more than the Resistance. But it was a ton of fun. I would be hacking a droid or something and other guests would ask me what I was doing, then head off on their own quests.

I can’t wait to go back.