Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Papercut posted:

There's an online interview that is 60-90 minutes and pays $150 I think, and also a separate 5-hour in person session (in SF) where we play an unreleased title for 3 hours and then talk about it for a couple more, also pays $150.
is it last epoch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Control Volume posted:

Highly recommend having this game kick your rear end now so it doesnt kick your rear end as much at league start

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Oooh, the new League announcement is nigh!

Time to come up with a goal for the new league... For Legion, it was to get far into the Red Maps. I did get most of them, cleared a couple of T16s, and beat Elder for the first time. I think this next League I want to take down Shaper and complete the Atlas.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Completing the Atlas is pretty dependent on if Perandus Manor is required tbh.

vvv HoGM is easy to get, a dickpunch to try to complete. Perandus is the opposite.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 20, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

whypick1 posted:

Completing the Atlas is pretty dependent on if Perandus Manor is required tbh.

Perandus manor was (relatively) fine this league. HoGM is the real bitch.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

is it last epoch?

They haven't told me so I don't actually know, but that seems like a good guess.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Grey Face posted:

Been playing a lot of Grim Dawn, and while its been fun most of my characters feel pretty samey, gear is mostly +numbers, and devotions are just extra procs. I played through the poe campaign once in I think syndicate, as an arc totem Chieftain and quit after reaching maps. I want to play again to scratch the arpg itch, but I have a couple questions.

How does this game fare with a controller instead of kbm?
How much of a pain is trading (I'm on PC)? Is it person to person interaction or is there an auction house type deal? If it's the first, how bad are the people selling usually (my reference point is TF2 barons)
Does the crafting system(s? there's a lot) get less obtuse as you play more and ?
How 'twitchy' is this compared to GD? (I should mention I mostly played with a program called GrimInternals to play at 3x speed)
If I just try to make my own build as basically a newbie, am I setting myself up for pain and failure?

And finally, should I just wait till the new league is out to start (assuming it's early next month)?

Also, is there a go-to easy (to play and get gear for) braindead build? I rarely play these games sober.

Ignore everyone saying you can't play with a controller, they're wrong. If you're really really married to a controller just know that you'll have to gently caress around with third party programs.

Do not make your own build to start since you're likely to gently caress it up, and while loving it up isn't life ending it can be various degrees of annoyance to unfuck.

Yeah, e. g. RF is typically stupid easy, you have a ring of fire that degens everything around you and you just run around.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Some guy made this: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/ckyrrt/controller_support_autohotkey_script/

If you're interested in controller input.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

As someone playing on PS4, controller isn't *that* bad but I'd absolutely trade it for a m+kb with no hesitation. I'm approaching endgame content now and the biggest issues are:

A) no way to target where your abilities land, which isn't a problem for most builds but some would be basically unplayable
B) On PS4 at least, the X button is both mapped to a skill and used to your item pickup, which makes for a lot of annoying moments when you're trying to pick up some loot but just stand there swinging your weapon at thin air because there's an enemy on screen somewhere
C) Most builds run more skills than you actually have buttons for, which means annoying poo poo like binding auras, casting them, then rebinding them to a skill you're actually going to be using before you go into an instance
D) Using flasks loving suuucks which is probably going to be an increasingly bigger problem as I get into harder content because they are incredibly important and there's absolutely no way to kind of "piano" them like you could with a keyboard. You have to do some hosed up claw maneuver to hit them all at roughly the same time, and that means briefly letting go of the left stick too. I don't think any of my deaths have been from that so far but I could easily see how it could happen as stuff gets spikier

Only semi-related but I do have to say, the exp death penalty feels way too harsh for how quickly you die in this game and how many things can just flat-out insta-gib you if you didn't bother looking up what bosses can do beforehand. Getting hours of leveling progress wiped out because a boss fired off some attack that you can't even see through the giant cloud of effect particles is a really lovely feeling and it's gonna be a huge relief once I hit lvl 90 so I can stop caring about it

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

D) Using flasks loving suuucks which is probably going to be an increasingly bigger problem as I get into harder content because they are incredibly important and there's absolutely no way to kind of "piano" them like you could with a keyboard. You have to do some hosed up claw maneuver to hit them all at roughly the same time, and that means briefly letting go of the left stick too. I don't think any of my deaths have been from that so far but I could easily see how it could happen as stuff gets spikier

Only semi-related but I do have to say, the exp death penalty feels way too harsh for how quickly you die in this game and how many things can just flat-out insta-gib you if you didn't bother looking up what bosses can do beforehand. Getting hours of leveling progress wiped out because a boss fired off some attack that you can't even see through the giant cloud of effect particles is a really lovely feeling and it's gonna be a huge relief once I hit lvl 90 so I can stop caring about it

I'm now imagining trying to play Pathfinder on console like playing Guitar Hero on controller.

Be grateful they changed the XP penalty. It used to be 50% higher.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

basic gameplay with a controller is alright for most builds but navigating the ui and dealing with trade and poo poo with a controller is horrible. just don't bother, use your kb/m

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Well, at least I feel better knowing now that the only point in going paste Delve 300 is bragging rights.

There are more rewards deeper. One of the dudes who was delving at around 2000 posted on Reddit they find 5-10 Bloodstained fossils a day, cities are half the nodes, and almost every non-city/non-fossil node is a map node, which probably returns 50-100c worth of T16s each.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I don’t have a PC and I started this game when it came out on the PS4 during Synthesis. My biggest problem is the lag/desync makes melee builds unplayable, e.g. I’ve tried cyclone a few times and during the campaign it works well and it’s fun role playing a blender but in maps too often you stop doing damage and a moment later you’re dead. Every patch I try again and while they’ve improved the PS4 a bunch, this one thing they haven’t and it has been impossible for me to progress after level 80.

Casters for me fair better, the problem still occurs but less often. I probably die 10% from it, the other 90% from not being very good (I’ve peaked at level 94 this league, have tried Uber elder twice, both times getting only about ~50% each of elder/shaper)

For buttons: one thing I do is equip auras in non-weapons, equip a second set of weapons, and bind the auras to the buttons in the second set. Then you don’t have to rebind anything, just switch weapon sets, cast auras, switch back. The game retains the bindings unless you have gear with the “focus” ability.

I agree with the flasks problem but found it works ok as long as I keep heals on l1 and quicksilver on r1, and the less often used items in the middle.

Trade sounds bad on the PC but on the PS4 I’d rather eat worms than even try to mess with it. I tried during Synthesis and its just too frustrating.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Perandus manor was (relatively) fine this league. HoGM is the real bitch.

Oh cool I didn't realise it was so (relatively) cheap. Ran it for the first time ever, and it was even profitable (got a Seven League Step)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Re. beginner chat.

Follow a guide, but check with some people first in the thread or in gchat. There's a lot of builds out there labelled as beginner friendly, inexpensive that will 100% be non-viable without considerable investment to time or currency.

Good example, one build i tried when starting out was going ok, but basically needed a specific corruption on a unique item to be viable for endgame content. To translate this, unless you are crazy lucky or have a TONNE of spare money (which you won't, getting started now). Silly me for not understanding the build fully before copying it, but still, check things out, if you don't know, ask the thread.

This game is a goddamn nightmare and I love it.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

What's the raider rework gonna look like? I like the concept of raider (buffs on kill + frenzy) but it's so weak compared to champ/slayer/etc

It was mostly on par with Slayer/Berserker before they got the big rework this league. All the legion reworks have been amazing, so chances are Raider will be too.
What its gonna look like? No idea - Raider is the gotta-go-fast Ascendancy: Frenzy charges, Onslaught, Phasing, so I assume its gonna stay that way. Maybe some sort of scaling off of your movement speed? We'll know in a few weeks, maybe even today

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I never really thought raider needed a buff, tbh. Maybe in light of overpowered slayer, to keep it on par, but imo the ranger ascendancies aren't weak by any means.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Raider definitely needs a buff. Its only on par when you factor in that you have to spend at least 6 points on frenzy passives that other ascendancies don't have to spend. You don't have any utility at all, unless you take Avatar of the Veil, in which case your damage will suffer and you're just a worse Pathfinder. Both Frenzy charges and Onslaught are really easy to get outside of boss fights.

I like Raider. Its fast, it has a lot of unconditional QoL that makes it nice to play, but its definitely not as good as most other ascendancies.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dance Officer posted:

I never really thought raider needed a buff, tbh. Maybe in light of overpowered slayer, to keep it on par, but imo the ranger ascendancies aren't weak by any means.

It's significantly shittier than Deadeye, not just in terms of damage but survivability and utility too. Why the gently caress does Deadeye get tailwind and not Move Fast: The Ascendancy?!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't know what they could do beyond adding like 'You have Onslaught' on a node without doing a core rework. Which is what I hope they're doing. As it stands it's basically an incredibly passive ascendancy. It's not *bad* but ugh, it needs a lot of attention.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Papercut posted:

Hey Bay Area folks, I'm participating in a market research thing this weekend where they're specifically looking for experienced PoE players (the three initial questions they asked me was if I've beaten Uber elder, if I've used a mirror, and if I've spent money on the game).

There's an online interview that is 60-90 minutes and pays $150 I think, and also a separate 5-hour in person session (in SF) where we play an unreleased title for 3 hours and then talk about it for a couple more, also pays $150.

If anyone's interested, pm me and I'll pass on the contact info.

I'm interested. Although, my proletariat rear end has never used a mirror. Does this disqualify me? :/

I'll PM you. If the parking situation is cool there and my schedule is free, I think I can participate.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Grey Face posted:

Been playing a lot of Grim Dawn, and while its been fun most of my characters feel pretty samey, gear is mostly +numbers, and devotions are just extra procs. I played through the poe campaign once in I think syndicate, as an arc totem Chieftain and quit after reaching maps. I want to play again to scratch the arpg itch, but I have a couple questions.

How does this game fare with a controller instead of kbm?
How much of a pain is trading (I'm on PC)? Is it person to person interaction or is there an auction house type deal? If it's the first, how bad are the people selling usually (my reference point is TF2 barons)
Does the crafting system(s? there's a lot) get less obtuse as you play more and ?
How 'twitchy' is this compared to GD? (I should mention I mostly played with a program called GrimInternals to play at 3x speed)
If I just try to make my own build as basically a newbie, am I setting myself up for pain and failure?

And finally, should I just wait till the new league is out to start (assuming it's early next month)?

Also, is there a go-to easy (to play and get gear for) braindead build? I rarely play these games sober.

PoE is great. Although, you may want to hold off until the next league before you deep dive in because this league/season is almost done.

Here's a really solid starter build that's insanely cheap to make and you can also dump a bunch of currency into it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828536&pagenumber=1247&perpage=40#post497447250

I'm playing that build right now. Also make sure to download Path of Building so some of this stuff makes sense.

On a side note, I should definitely check out Grim Dawn since PoE burnout is starting to hit me again. I know GD was patched recently, but if you ever want to make another GD character, try making this character: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNn4wBGV - Just hold your right-mouse button down and zoom around the screen in a molten light show!

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 20, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wuxi posted:

Raider definitely needs a buff. Its only on par when you factor in that you have to spend at least 6 points on frenzy passives that other ascendancies don't have to spend. You don't have any utility at all, unless you take Avatar of the Veil, in which case your damage will suffer and you're just a worse Pathfinder. Both Frenzy charges and Onslaught are really easy to get outside of boss fights.

I like Raider. Its fast, it has a lot of unconditional QoL that makes it nice to play, but its definitely not as good as most other ascendancies.

I think the overall problem with Raider is that none of its nodes offer anything unique. They're basically all just stat buffs. It definitely feels like the most generic ascendancy.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Beginner guide:

Look at poe.ninja builds until they make sense. If they don't make sense after 20 minutes, ask here.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Looking at poe.ninja builds in early and late league is an absolute nightmare though.

Early league, there's a bunch of people running off the wall builds or using new skills that actually suck rear end (remember the steel skills? SST at launch?) which don't wash out until reds.

Late league it's all headhunters, magic finds, and ultra tanky delvers. The only builds that regularly make it to 95+

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Don't look at poe.ninja builds as a brand new player, you have absolutely no idea how to filter out goldfarming bots from ultra rich RMTers from a reasonable build

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dahbadu posted:

I'm interested. Although, my proletariat rear end has never used a mirror. Does this disqualify me? :/

I'll PM you. If the parking situation is cool there and my schedule is free, I think I can participate.

I laughed at the mirror question. He said they just wanted people who had experience crafting.

I have 3-4 people interested, I'll pm you guys when I get more info.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
IIRC Raider was godlike during the gain-as-ele-damage era (or maybe that was just when Breach was new?) so the pendulum balance has just been swinging real hard in the other direction. My wild guess is that they're probably going to nerf Slayer and Trickster back down into the ground, given how insane more popular they were than other classes this league.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The problem with Slayer being popular wasn't Slayer, it was Cyclone.

Same goes with the entire melee rework. We're gonna see some serious poo poo go down if/when Cyclone is nerfed and people realize that a lot of the other melee changes are actually real bad.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
announce the new league cowards

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

They will in 3.5 hours, sheesh.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

yeah I mean they literally announced the announcement

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrhythmia posted:

Badly
Poison
Arcane
Amphetamines recommended
Absolutely

But start playing now

You just made me think of procedurally generated ARPGs and these are the tags for Path of Exile.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Arrhythmia posted:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Arrhythmia posted:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
While waiting for the announcement, enjoy this absurd Varcall build. It also has a surprise ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkw4N0GGK7k

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

OK, the ending was worth it

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah the de-sync / lag on PS4 is awful. Cyclone is a lot of fun when its working properly but I'm 100% running a caster next league because I've probably lost 2-3 levels worth of xp because I was in the middle of a pack and my cyclone just completely stopped actually hitting anything and I instantly melted. Very annoying. Between that and the fairly common disconnects, PoE definitely feels like its in console beta still in a lot of ways. But my laptop is poo poo and its the only way I can actually play this, and the pool of ARPGs that are actually good and fun is vanishingly small on console.

I kinda want to try a necro build next season, but the whole process of summoning spectres seems kinda annoying. That ignite fireball build also looks like a ton of fun.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

There are quite a few minion builds that aren't Spectre. Summon Raging Spirits is a rather low-barrier-to-entry build. Golems are cool, but I think I'd rather have console than to try to buy all the unique jewels needed for it on console. Skeletons, both melee and caster, are viable (although caster requires some uniques). Another one that's a bit off the beaten path is Herald of Agony.

Plenty of options that don't require trying to cast a spell on that specific corpse and no others and goddammit game what are you doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I kinda want to try a necro build next season, but the whole process of summoning spectres seems kinda annoying. That ignite fireball build also looks like a ton of fun.

The trick to spectre builds is to level as zombie/skeleton through the acts. Beat Kitava, do lab to get the spectre nodes, pop into Solaris Temple to get a solar guard, then ask someone for an empty shaper platform. Level 84 spectres won't die to anything until endgame bosses.