Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zore posted:

Mostly a lot of stupid stuff in the original comic where they hid the relationship between Jefferson and Aaron for a dramatic reveal by having Jefferson go by Morales. And the white dude writer really didn't think through the implication of Jefferson's last name being Davis.

Mark Millar's a CHUD, or it's British Isles, Brexit-loving equivalent. He knew exactly what it meant and he probably thought it was so loving clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Young Freud posted:

Mark Millar's a CHUD, or it's British Isles, Brexit-loving equivalent. He knew exactly what it meant and he probably thought it was so loving clever.

I thought Brian Michael Bendis created Miles and all his cas

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zore posted:

I thought Brian Michael Bendis created Miles and all his cas

Ah, might be confusing him with Millar, because Miles was originally part of the Ultimate Universe, which was Millar's brainchild. I forget that both Miles was created by Bendis and about a year or so after the Ultimate Marvel line came out.

Bendis, as far as I know, is a cool dude.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Miles was introduced like, a decade after ultimate spider man started.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thebardyspoon posted:

Miles was introduced like, a decade after ultimate spider man started.

Yeah, Miles was introduced by Bendis as a reaction to the ‘Donald Glover for Spidey’ campaign before Andrew Garfield was cast.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

African Americans being named after presidents is a cultural thing, but they're usually U.S.A. presidents.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I thought I remember hearing that Brian Michael Bendis called him Jefferson as an attempt to 'Take It Back' from the racists, or maybe just to make them mad.

Which is sad and hilarious, but not in any way he intended. Unless I'm wrong and that's not the reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much everything about comics diversity after McDuffie died is 100% diversity as written by white nerds.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well of course we were big Miles Davis fans, but I learned about this person named Sally Hemmings and

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Taking back the name Harold Itler.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much everything about comics diversity after McDuffie died is 100% diversity as written by white nerds.

Kamala Khan. :colbert:

(Your point till stands).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Kamala Khan. :colbert:

(Your point till stands).

The only thing I know about her is the strip about how voting is great even if you don't like the choices with totally-not-Bernie Sanders as the bad guy

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The only thing I know about her is the strip about how voting is great even if you don't like the choices with totally-not-Bernie Sanders as the bad guy

Oh god, what?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Hi! I, a creation of a subsidiary of ABC/Disney who is wholly owned by them, encourage you to accept the status quo as empowering to you, or at least unobjectionable. Hooray America!”

It’s maybe not so different from those War bond ads where Superman kicks a bug-eyed racist caricature of a Japanese man.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ghost Leviathan posted:

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh god, what?
Um. I'm guessing that might have been a GOTV issue from the before-times of 2016. Which I think got delayed after the actual election (thanks, Civil War II!)

But one tone-deaf issue doesn't change the fact her overall run is absolutely goddamn delightful.

She's absolutely the biggest character Marvel's come up with (maybe tied with Miles) in recent years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's funny (not really) that Marvel's biggest comic adds in recent years have been Miles, Kamala and Spider-Gwen

Or basically everything chuds hate.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Soiderverse wins Hugo for best dramatic presentation

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I thought I remember hearing that Brian Michael Bendis called him Jefferson as an attempt to 'Take It Back' from the racists, or maybe just to make them mad.

Which is sad and hilarious, but not in any way he intended. Unless I'm wrong and that's not the reason.

god that is so loving #resistance liberal

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That reminds me that when Miles first appeared, Glenn Beck accused the Obama administration of forcing Marvel to make a black Spider-Man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kanine posted:

god that is so loving #resistance liberal

That seems to have been the main voice of liberalism in comics for a while now, yeah. See also that Kamala Khan voting comic with the perfidious totally-not-Bernie-Sanders trying to tell kids not to vote if they don't like the candidates.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That seems to have been the main voice of liberalism in comics for a while now, yeah. See also that Kamala Khan voting comic with the perfidious totally-not-Bernie-Sanders trying to tell kids not to vote if they don't like the candidates.

Wait what? What issue was this?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what? What issue was this?

That's a somewhat disingenuous reading of Ms. Marvel 13. Kamala's trying to get out the vote to stop hydra from winning a city election, and one of the people she runs into while canvassing is a cranky old man who says he hasn't voted since 1972 because "all politicians suck"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Kamala's trying to get out the vote to stop hydra from winning a city election

modern comics are loving embarrassing

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Brother Entropy posted:

No, the embarrassing part is that Marvel published a get out the vote PSA comic on November 30 2016. :doh:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

howe_sam posted:

No, the embarrassing part is that Marvel published a get out the vote PSA comic on November 30 2016. :doh:

lmao, if that's when that came out then that's 1000% supposed to be bernie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's even more anti-semetic than I remember.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

I was pretty mystified why a Japanese comic was topping the bestsellers list stateside but honestly poo poo like this goes a long way to explaining that!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheKingofSprings posted:

I was pretty mystified why a Japanese comic was topping the bestsellers list stateside but honestly poo poo like this goes a long way to explaining that!

I'd have guessed that was more common. Most recent bookstores I've been in give manga an aisle or two while western trade paperbacks get maybe a case.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

howe_sam posted:

That's a somewhat disingenuous reading of Ms. Marvel 13. Kamala's trying to get out the vote to stop hydra from winning a city election, and one of the people she runs into while canvassing is a cranky old man who says he hasn't voted since 1972 because "all politicians suck"

Lol this is definitely not any better

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“I, a brown Muslim immigrant, love the status quo and the dilution of measures designed to preserve my dignity and life!”

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Spiderman no longer being in the MCU fills me with an intense sense of dread as if my worst fears are all but confirmed. The suits are going to ruin future Spiderverse movies

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
We made a billion dollars gently caress you DisneyMarvel!

*Forgets that ASM2 made like a billion dollars and was like warm meh*

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

waah posted:

Spiderman no longer being in the MCU fills me with an intense sense of dread as if my worst fears are all but confirmed. The suits are going to ruin future Spiderverse movies

Yeah I'm pretty uninterested in anything more they do with the concept until further notice. I'm fully expecting it to be driven into the ground in the worst way.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yall do realize absolutely nothing is changing on the sony side except now spider-holland 3 can't be about sucking tony stark's dead dick, right?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Maybe venom 2 will be Peter getting probed by Brock's alien

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It'll be fine guys. Disney will just buy Sony.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

OhFunny posted:

It'll be fine guys. Disney will just buy Sony.

if you liked spider-verse this is the last thing you should want

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Brother Entropy posted:

yall do realize absolutely nothing is changing on the sony side except now spider-holland 3 can't be about sucking tony stark's dead dick, right?
Is this whole kerfuffle over the Spider-Man film rights specifically, or are the rights to Tom Holland's portrayal of the character also on the table? Because if it's the former then Disney can have Tom Holland star in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man on Disney+ in 2022 while a late-twenties Peter Parker (played by a 35 year old man) helps Tom Hardy punch Carnage in the face on the big screen. If it's the latter I genuinely have no idea what Disney is going to do if a deal doesn't happen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'd have a hard time believing Sony would agree to a contract where *Holland's* portrayal is somehow immune to the rights issue but gently caress, if anyone could do it it's the Disney lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Is this whole kerfuffle over the Spider-Man film rights specifically, or are the rights to Tom Holland's portrayal of the character also on the table? Because if it's the former then Disney can have Tom Holland star in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man on Disney+ in 2022 while a late-twenties Peter Parker (played by a 35 year old man) helps Tom Hardy punch Carnage in the face on the big screen. If it's the latter I genuinely have no idea what Disney is going to do if a deal doesn't happen.

it's over spiderman and all the characters associated with him showing up in marvel studios movies and MCU stuff showing up in sony's spiderman movies

what disney is going to do is continue to make billions and billions of dollars and be pissy that they aren't making even more billions