Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Two merchants in Horizon Zero Dawn wants snapmaw and longleg lenses, which I already have but apparently they only want lenses that comes from a specific area.

thats weird because i was able to just hand them the lenses during the same conversation where i met them. i mean its possible i just was insanely overlevelled and killed a snapmaw and longleg from the specific area, but i actually remember thinking i would have to go get the lenses from a specific area and was surprised i was just able to hand them in out of my pocket.

the hunters lodge is stupid because ive killed a bunch of robits but apparently you only get the kill trophies once the quest is activated so i have to kill them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the enemy encounters in ni no kuni 2 are baffling. even on the harder difficulties random mobs put up about as much resistance as overcooked pasta, unless they're more than five feet tall in which case you'd better tack on +10 to their displayed level and hope for the best. you're drowned in avalanches of loot, much of which has no apparent purpose 3-4 hours in. there's a detailed bravely default-esque stats tweaker for battles that appears to be largely superfluous given how easy the fights themselves are. there are maybe a dozen total enemy types total, without even many palette swaps to change them up

i haven't yet gotten to the idle kingdom-building stuff but this game is kind of bumming me out already. there was a ton of care put into its aesthetics and systems and even this early you can see it all suffering from lack of budget/time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

No Man's Sky is always two-steps forward, one-step back. They added a much needed tech-tree and greatly increased stack-size, only now your equipment at base has to be powered when before it was free.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I got convinced to pull out NMS again after the big update, and I'm struggling to stay engaged. It doesn't help that a lot of the big improvements are just ignorable for me since I have zero interest in multiplayer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alhazred posted:

Two merchants in Horizon Zero Dawn wants snapmaw and longleg lenses, which I already have but apparently they only want lenses that comes from a specific area.

If you already have the lenses you can give it right to them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think I've figured out the root of what was frustrating me in Kingdoms of Amalur. The second act of the game is split into two parts, one focused on a summery plains region and the other on a big ole desert-y American southwest-style desert. I started with the plains and the reality of it is that everything is just too decompressed in that part of the game. This is characterized by the main story quest sending you off to activate macguffins spread across the entire region. And with so much open space, that's just more room to have more trash mobs standing between me and my actual objectives.

The desert zones are so, so much better. Instead of everything being too sprawling and lackadaisical, areas are concise and self-contained and show a great deal more creativity in the process. One is built around a single dungeon that spans the whole map, and as you do side quests more of it opens up, revealing new paths and exits leading to goodies. Once you help out all three quest givers, you team up to stop a big bad evil at the heart of said dungeon. Another plays out like a pretty typical scenario - do odd jobs for a mining company beset by monsters and other mishaps - only for it to turn out at the end that all of the trouble was actually being caused by a single person trying to ruin the company. That capped off by me getting ownership of a mine that I could invest in (both to furnish my newly earned overseer's abode and to expand the mine - itself basically a tiny dungeon - to reveal more loot). There's even an arena with its own questline (originally one of those crappy Project $10 addons, I believe) on top of standalone challenges that I happily threw myself into for fun and profit. Finding the collectibles, and navigation in general, has been vastly easier too. I thought I was growing bored of the combat, hence why my interest perked back up when I got to a major city and could focus on other stuff, but clearly I was just craving more narrative engagement.

The only weird part is that snippets of dialogue seem to be implying that the game wants to continue doing the whole parallel paths thing which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Finishing Act 2A pointed me towards the big frontline of the war that's been an ongoing thing, and that makes sense from a narrative perspective. But now Act 2B is making it sound like it's going to end with me heading off to the final region, the one that's the the home base of the big bad. Along those same lines, while it's clear I could've tackled these two parts in either order (probably another reason why the pacing and leveling scaling is being all weird), all of the faction quest lines are very clearly structured to send you to 2A first, then 2B, so I don't know why you'd do it the other way around. Or worse, some goofy zig-zag pattern where you're switching between whole biomes constantly.

Also unrelated to anything else, but given how many enemies/NPCs use spears and how otherwise prominent they are I'm convinced they were originally meant to be a usable weapon type and they just didn't make it into the final product. That sucks.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

In the Stardew Valley you have to click once to purchase a one single plant seed, and you have about four hundred tilled, plantable ground to buy seeds for. Enjoy spending several minutes clicking! Also, unless you have the mods to freeze time, you better purchase all the seeds you'll need otherwise the store will be closed by the time you run back.

Why isn't there a little store mod to buy in bulk? Unless I just haven't found it yet.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hold down right mouse, iirc

My complaint now is I want stardews next update to drop already because I keep putting off starting it back up till then.

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Aug 18, 2019

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

World Famous W posted:

Hold down right mouse, iirc

My complaint now is I want stardews next update to drop already because I keep putting off starting it back up till then.

Nope. Not for me, on PC, anyways. I don't understand why that doesn't work for me. Also same! But fan mods have given me plenty of things to due until I've squeezed out the last bit of virtual serotonin from the game :) The Secret Woods expansion is fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I'm slowly churning through Kingdoms of Amalur: Subtitle on a whim and I think I'm starting to realize its actual core flaw (not its mistaken reputation as a singleplayer MMO*...though what I'm about to gripe about certainly makes it sound like one). While they nailed a pretty good action-centric combat feel (kinda God of War-lite, combos and abilities stuff) they fumbled pretty much every other supporting system.

Loot is Diablo-style, but all of it is boring because affixes are boring. Unique items don't carry any unique properties (with maybe some minor exceptions) and set gear doesn't unlock powerful new effects it just gives you more of the same kind of boring stats you were already building towards. The most creative affixes are ones that boost damage at day or at night but they're even less practical here than in Elder Scrolls because the day/night cycle isn't well codified and there's no Wait command either.

Crafting doesn't subvert any of this, because you build gear out of the same sort of stat components as anything else, you just have ways to generate generically superior versions with exactly what boring but effective abilities you want attached. In general, the power curve is very poorly paced. I'm about level 20-25 (out of 40) and it already feels like my build is largely done. So once I reach the final equipment tier I'm all but certain to be able to craft the best possible set of gear and nothing will ever come close to matching it.

This then compounds with the other problem: They just didn't make enough unique enemy types to fill out combat. Enemies so far (and as far as I know, for the rest of the game with maybe some variations) fall into basic categories: Smaller. swarm-happy nibblers. Medium-sized actual threats. Humanoid, likely focused on one of the three Warrior/Rogue/Mage axes. Larger enemy that's frustratingly rare but actually unique and spices up combat pretty well. Largest enemy that's a huge damage sponge and laughs off most your attacks and isn't fun to fight at all. That sounds like it should be enough, but the ratios are all wrong and you spend more time fighting yet another swarm of small creatures than you do even humanoid enemies of any type. Said nibblers have also been often more dangerous because I'm playing a character focused on slow, physical weapons so they can easily stunlock me out of combos whereas one of the most common humanoid enemy types has just been dumbass bandits ambushing me and then very quickly dying.

And as the cherry on top, enemy levels seem to be roughly assigned per area (or maybe scaled to you to some degree) but not per type. So the same bog standard pack of three wolves I was fighting at level 1 are waiting for me several areas later at level 20 and take about the same number of hits to kill; it's not identical but I certainly don't wipe them out instantly. There's no sense of your build popping off outside of maybe stacking crit chance The one time I did break the power curve was when I was briefly running a tier of equipment ahead...but that also made the game less fun because instead of even being able to complete combos I just one-shotted everything for a little while. And because this was a console-first Oblivion-chaser, it's not like they can even vomit a hundred enemies onto the screen at once to at least scale combat that way.

Considering the game is also appropriately looooooong (not even including the DLCs) it's no wonder most people burn out and never finish this thing. Frankly it's a shame too because the art design is fantastic, the VAs are all solid, and the writing has even been pretty good.
This is 100 percent accurate.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:eng101: It's actually not....because I found out you can rest in a bed for X number of hours so there technically is a wait command of sorts. Still never going to use a weapon with one of those affixes though!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

value-brand cereal posted:

Nope. Not for me, on PC, anyways. I don't understand why that doesn't work for me. Also same! But fan mods have given me plenty of things to due until I've squeezed out the last bit of virtual serotonin from the game :) The Secret Woods expansion is fun.

If you're doing mods anyway, just add the Tractor mod. Lets you use tools and plant seeds on giant swathes of land that can be adjusted by size. I haven't use it myself, but I see it used a lot in YouTube videos. I have hundreds of hours in Stardew but I've never found fun in mega-farms, I generally just go for sustainability and artisan goods. There's no point in being a millionaire if there's nothing to spend it on.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

In the Stardew Valley you have to click once to purchase a one single plant seed, and you have about four hundred tilled, plantable ground to buy seeds for. Enjoy spending several minutes clicking! Also, unless you have the mods to freeze time, you better purchase all the seeds you'll need otherwise the store will be closed by the time you run back.

Why isn't there a little store mod to buy in bulk? Unless I just haven't found it yet.

Also IIRC if you hold shift and left click you buy in stacks of five

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Dicey Dungeons: LOUD BIRD :argh:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Olive! posted:

Dicey Dungeons: LOUD BIRD :argh:

Hes a loving dick. gently caress loud bird.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Strange, I'm also back on a stardew valley kick.

here's the controls from the wiki:
https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Controls

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

the enemy encounters in ni no kuni 2 are baffling. even on the harder difficulties random mobs put up about as much resistance as overcooked pasta, unless they're more than five feet tall in which case you'd better tack on +10 to their displayed level and hope for the best. you're drowned in avalanches of loot, much of which has no apparent purpose 3-4 hours in. there's a detailed bravely default-esque stats tweaker for battles that appears to be largely superfluous given how easy the fights themselves are. there are maybe a dozen total enemy types total, without even many palette swaps to change them up

i haven't yet gotten to the idle kingdom-building stuff but this game is kind of bumming me out already. there was a ton of care put into its aesthetics and systems and even this early you can see it all suffering from lack of budget/time.

Ni No Kuni is a series that entirely banks on making a good first impression, as far as I can tell.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Moon Monster posted:

Ni No Kuni is a series that entirely banks on making a good first impression, as far as I can tell.

That's Level 5 games in general.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

this is the stats for a gun in Bolderlands 3. what i'm wondering is, what does handling mean, and what is the percentage relative to. if this is about how fast you aim down the sights, why not just define the ADS time and call it "aim speed", or if it means how fast you swap from that gun, why not just list the time it takes to swap your gun, and why not just name the stat "swap speed"

i sure do love whenever games have such nonsensical terms with nonsensical numbers or percentage attached to it as if either of them mean anything

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

On my last run through HZD I just gave up on all the rare handling upgrades I kept getting blessed with. I've played through that game three times now and I realized I still have no clue wtf they do because I don't feel like the game has any sensible difference whether I'm tacking on multiple 30-40% upgrades or just dumping them for future cash.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What games have RPG systems that don't have silly numbers? Fallout doesn't have numbers bigger than 100, Vampire Bloodlines didn't have stats higher than 10.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

When will game developers learn that tiny, lovely incremental upgrades are the worst way to do any kind of RPG system? Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 has like a hundred nodes to upgrade but they're all banal, lazy poo poo like '+50 to armor'' "5% to health"

Also characters not currently in your party don't level up if they are not 'active'. Sure hope you enjoy running the same poo poo just so you can see what the other characters are like.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games have RPG systems that don't have silly numbers? Fallout doesn't have numbers bigger than 100, Vampire Bloodlines didn't have stats higher than 10.

Paper Mario

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Every once in a while I get the urge to play Factorio, but there's something I struggle to articulate about the graphics that I bounce right off of. Literally every time I decide that this time I'm not going to just go "ugh, nope"... but then I load it, play for five minutes, and go "ugh, nope". There's something just viscerally doesn't appeal to me, which really sucks.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Undertale

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Captain Hygiene posted:

On my last run through HZD I just gave up on all the rare handling upgrades I kept getting blessed with. I've played through that game three times now and I realized I still have no clue wtf they do because I don't feel like the game has any sensible difference whether I'm tacking on multiple 30-40% upgrades or just dumping them for future cash.

Dude put three purple handling upgrades into a 3-slot ropecaster. It's so good it breaks the base game, nothing in the game except the final boss can deal with it. It makes the windup and shooting faster, and with three of them, you can fire it so fast you'll infinitely stunlock every single bot in the entire game, including the big T-rex dudes.

In 4 Resident Evil, handling as a stat on guns determines how fast you can move them around while aiming. Shotguns and snipers are slow and cumbersome to aim, while the pistols are fast and snappy. Overall though handling is always a mystery stat you gotta look up.

I'm old now and that drags down Apex Legends. It does so many fun and cool things right in a shooter, but I'm officially a greybeard FPS scrub that gets effortlessly fragged by dudes that are on the way to real fights.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I get paranoid about spending anything in Resident Evil 4 since money is limited and you can invest in early weapons that get outclassed by later ones. The Evil Within 2 fixed this problem by having upgrades affect weapon-types.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

This was always something I loved about Paper Mario and Mario RPG, to a lesser degree, as a whole. You rarely ever saw huge numbers so when you get to the final area and the last boss is hitting you for 100, it feels like a big deal because you spent most of the game slowly going from "Holy poo poo this guy hits for fifteen, what the hell?" to "Woah, if I use this combo of badges I can hit this guy for sixty damage, that's wild!" and actually breaking triple digits in a single hit is super rare.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I can't remember the numbers of stats, but Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars has a max level of 30, and you definitely aren't going to reach that without grinding in the end game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

Dude put three purple handling upgrades into a 3-slot ropecaster. It's so good it breaks the base game, nothing in the game except the final boss can deal with it. It makes the windup and shooting faster, and with three of them, you can fire it so fast you'll infinitely stunlock every single bot in the entire game, including the big T-rex dudes.

OK...I'll keep it in mind for next time. I never put enough upgrades to notice a handling difference without stopping to do a side-by-side comparison I guess.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

spit on my clit posted:

this is the stats for a gun in Bolderlands 3. what i'm wondering is, what does handling mean, and what is the percentage relative to. if this is about how fast you aim down the sights, why not just define the ADS time and call it "aim speed", or if it means how fast you swap from that gun, why not just list the time it takes to swap your gun, and why not just name the stat "swap speed"

i sure do love whenever games have such nonsensical terms with nonsensical numbers or percentage attached to it as if either of them mean anything

It's probably a combination of both would be my guess. I'm more concerned that all the important information is tiny and off to the side.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

kotor and kotor 2, d20 baby

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Fire Emblem, which also has the added bonus that nearly every formula can be calculated in your head (for instance damage=strength+weapon power-defense, with those numbers usually being in the 5-20 range) so you know exactly what a stat bonus does for you. A weapon with 5 more power does 5 more damage! A character with 3 more defense than another takes 3 less damage! Revolutionary!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Away all Goats posted:

When will game developers learn that tiny, lovely incremental upgrades are the worst way to do any kind of RPG system? Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 has like a hundred nodes to upgrade but they're all banal, lazy poo poo like '+50 to armor'' "5% to health"

Also characters not currently in your party don't level up if they are not 'active'. Sure hope you enjoy running the same poo poo just so you can see what the other characters are like.

Doing that worked out well for Alpha Protocol because it meant the devs could pepper rewards through the conversation trees so no option felt like the wrong one.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The only bad part about Alpha Protocol is that you can't pause conversations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

bony tony posted:

The only bad part about Alpha Protocol is that you can't pause conversations.

Yeah I understand it was a deliberate design choice but I'm not sure it does what the devs wanted it to do.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I understand that it can't be a Fallout, Deus Ex type thing where you can let the question hang forever, but even the TellTale games allow you to pause whenever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Timers on conversations are always a thing dragging games down. Not only do I have to figure out which response is actually going to match up with the sentiment I intend, but I have to do so while the person I'm responding to is still speaking and if I leave it too late then I'll definitely do the wrong one. It's like you're deliberately trying to make a bad thing even worse.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I enjoyed them as a novelty when I first saw them in - I think - Human Revolution but overall I don't really see the point in them except to keep conversations looking "cinematic". Even then you could just let us pause.

At least let us turn them off, I'm not really qualified to get into this but I feel like they probably pose accessibility issues for a lot of people as well for no real benefit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Personally, I don't mind them. They prevent me from over analysing stuff and make me feel less guilty for bad choices.

The thing that I really hate is making a tough decision that ends up having the same outcome despite your pick (and in the worst case you get blamed for it in any case).