Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
the koei tecmo games i've played have the lip flaps move along with whatever the character's VA is saying

so that means that there are no lip flaps at all in unvoiced scenes (so like half the scenes in dubbed atelier games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I thiiiink so because even after I had gotten all the non-Byleth characters to A-Rank each other some were still getting hearts appearing over their heads and others weren't. So there's always it seems like, a highest tier for certain pairings that will become unbreakable after a certain point in grinding. Which doesn't matter much in difficulty settings where you can't keep doing auxiliary maps over and over I guess, but it's something to keep in mind. So if you're hoping Ingrid ends up with a Golden Deer boy, but then you see that she and Ashe are still sending hearts to each other like emoji Divine Pulse that poo poo and send them to opposite sides of the map.

Oh, that explains a lot. I spent the last third of the game in my most recent run forcefeeding everyone only for Linhardt to end up a bachelor at the monastery and meanwhile Lysithea is trapped in the hell that is married to Lorenz.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
to be fair, that's 100% in character

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Youd really have to hate a character to marry them to alien face.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there a reason my Byleth can't equip adjutants? Is it because she's a flying class?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Deified Data posted:

Is there a reason my Byleth can't equip adjutants? Is it because she's a flying class?

Yeah, fliers can only equip other fliers. But normal mounted units can equip infantry and vice versa.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Are there any important in-battle conversations to worry about in the Black Eagles route?
Or are they mostly just extra flavor in Three Houses, as opposed to REALLY important?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dedue's like "I'll just wait for Dimitri to tire himself out before killing that guy.'

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DontMindMe posted:

Are there any important in-battle conversations to worry about in the Black Eagles route?
Or are they mostly just extra flavor in Three Houses, as opposed to REALLY important?

I'm not sure if I found any talk options beyond the intro and Felix's paralogue.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Eimi posted:

I'm not sure if I found any talk options beyond the intro and Felix's paralogue.

You can talk with Ladislava in BE-E's final part 1 chapter

she says all of one line

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Hey guys. Without spoilers (other than I know the Time Skip exists and I feel I'm getting super close to it, and you end up fighting the other two sides), I'm on Blue Lions and want to know what units I should really, really, really look at getting before the timeskip so that I don't have to kill too many friends. I love almost all of these little goofballs and have no room in my party but don't wanna have to kill people I like. :ohdear:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DontMindMe posted:

Have Edie fight Dimitri for one extraordinarily minor bit of lore that you’ll get anyway from playing the Blions route.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Also, drat it. I wish I had known to recruit Ingrid ASAP, since that is the paralogue that came up first. Guess I'm not getting Luin. Anyone else to focus on recruiting quickly?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Fumbles posted:

Hey guys. Without spoilers (other than I know the Time Skip exists and I feel I'm getting super close to it, and you end up fighting the other two sides), I'm on Blue Lions and want to know what units I should really, really, really look at getting before the timeskip so that I don't have to kill too many friends. I love almost all of these little goofballs and have no room in my party but don't wanna have to kill people I like. :ohdear:
if you haven't recruited someone, you'll most likely fight them at some point. Prioritize those you really like by getting their B support & D in their relevant stats.

If all fails, try to kill enemy units with Byleth whenever possible. If they get the final hit, there's a chance that you can spare them. (AFAIK, Lysithea on BE and Lorenz on BL fall into this category, as well as a couple others here and there) You may need to have at least a C rank support beforehand, but don't quote me on that.

Although, if you're asking "What units should I grab before it's too late"
-Dorothea (for well written dialogue and the meteor spell)
-Lysithea (in case you need a unit who can obliterate anything resembling an enemy)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Save Raphael because he is a good boy who just wants to be big and then run an inn to support his sister

Probably the character with the least drama of all the cast. Drama approaches him and he just casts it aside and moves on

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

How long should it take to start recruiting people? I just got Shamir as my first recruit after the Gautier Lance quest, and I’m very paranoid about being behind the Support curve

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

How long should it take to start recruiting people? I just got Shamir as my first recruit after the Gautier Lance quest, and I’m very paranoid about being behind the Support curve

You will have plenty of time to work on supports as long you recruit people before the timeskip aside from some rare supports that lock after the timeskip (the second month of the year is the last month you can recruit people).

You can't recruit Shamir before chapter 6 anyway.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Just recruit your favorites, BL is already pretty set for physical attackers gameplay-wise between Dimitri, Dedue, Felix, and Ingrid unless rng is killing you; Lysithea was already recommended if you need a mage but Annette and Mercedes are plenty serviceable. Personally I like to recruit Marianne because she has a good support with Dimitri and you never see her again if you don't recruit her .

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fumbles posted:

Actually just noticed you're on Blue Lions

There's a post time skip paralogue with Mercedes that requires having Caspar. That one's probably worth doing from what I hear

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Quick question: where do you get the anti-flight-weakness shield? I could've sworn Anna stocked it, but apparently not.
Ashe has been one-shot by a lucky archer twice now and I'm getting tired of it.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

unless you're actively trying to go for someone, you most likely won't be recruiting too many people on New Game, due to your limited actions during exploration.
The staff are essentially freebies though, I think they only check your level.

e:

rannum posted:

Actually just noticed you're on Blue Lions

There's a post time skip paralogue with Mercedes that requires having Caspar. That one's probably worth doing from what I hear
that one is extremely worth doing, entirely because the reward nullifies type effectiveness, critical hits, and has a chance to halve damage. It's a must have for Ingrid, because she can die really easily if an enemy manages to hit her

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 20, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

what if hilda but hyper violent 1990s manga character?

for those who are not aware, that fan-lookin' thing is actually her crest weapon, a big weird-rear end axe

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Quick question: where do you get the anti-flight-weakness shield? I could've sworn Anna stocked it, but apparently not.
Ashe has been one-shot by a lucky archer twice now and I'm getting tired of it.

On BE-E I had 2 for several chapters.
I stole one off a paralogue boss (it might've been Edelgard's in which case youre out of luck) but I can't remember where I got my second one. I think it was a drop off an enemy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

As well don't forget that fliers can just hop off their mount and be perfectly fine if an archer will be in range.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is Lethality seriously the only triggered offensive ability in the game? That's a bit of an odd choice, isn't it? Other traditional skill effects have been moved to combat arts and crests, why did this one get to live?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah i miss the cool abilities and keeping all the combat arts straight is more trouble than its worth. basically never touched those after the first five maps except for archers

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah the only end game combat arts are those that guarantee they strike twice, the lance and sniper art come to mind, relic weapon ones, and sometimes Windswept to prevent a counter.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The magic lance combat art is pretty cool, because there isn't a magic lance in this game, but other than that, yeah, they get old fast.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I used plenty of combat arts :shrug:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I also don't use something that lets me do more damage practically for free when I'm not double-attacking :confused:

Are y'all playing on normal and/or only using classes with massive speed or something? I'm definitely not everr doubling everything with everyone.

E: also my point was not where did the cool abilities go, but rather why was exactly and only lethality left

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 20, 2019

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
PUT LOST ITEMS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Amppelix posted:

Are y'all playing on normal and/or only using classes with massive speed or something? I'm definitely not everr doubling everything with everyone.

Yeah, Fortress Knights, Snipers, Magic Users and Paladins are pretty easy to double but everything else is not a given. Kinda reminds me of Radiant Dawn.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Blaziken386 posted:

sweet loving lord the annette/gilbert paralogue is a nightmare :psyboom:

surrounded by enemies who'll kill annette if she so much as blinks (telling annette/gilbert to "wait" triggers their AI, you have to end turn from the menu), going too far in any direction that isn't a straight shot to annette triggers the guards to murder her, and once you get to her, the game spawns a literal army of reinforcements right outside, who will rush in and cut her down.

If you dont attack any of the knights boxing Gilbert and Annette in they will never aggro on them.

Blaziken386 posted:

in BL i only found one that was carried by an enemy falcoknight in chapter 19 or 20.
in GD I found two, one in a chest and one dropped by an enemy.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 20, 2019

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Hellioning posted:

The magic lance combat art is pretty cool, because there isn't a magic lance in this game, but other than that, yeah, they get old fast.

Ferdinand's(?) sacred lance does magic damage doesn't it? And there's a spear you get from Hubert's paralogue for saving at least half the mysterious mages I'm pretty sure does too.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Hellioning posted:

There is a magic lance in the game, actually! :eng101:

it is, of course, only available from Hubert's part 2 paralogue. Because gently caress you if you play the other three routes.

FrickenMoron posted:

If you dont attack any of the knights boxing Gilbert and Annette in they will never aggro on them.
I figured that out after attacking them one time. Then I reset time, and had them attack two other times, based on triggers I couldn't have possibly known about beforehand. (Moving too far north towards the stronghold, or using the "wait" command with Gilbert and Annette. Those fuckers were on a hair trigger.)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

If all fails, try to kill enemy units with Byleth whenever possible. If they get the final hit, there's a chance that you can spare them. (AFAIK, Lysithea on BE and Lorenz on BL fall into this category, as well as a couple others here and there) You may need to have at least a C rank support beforehand, but don't quote me on that.
I know firsthand that you don't need any preexisting support for Lysithea, at least. Not getting her C beforehand did lock me out of doing her support with Byleth completely, though, which seems silly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/KimoVestra/status/1163545650195308544

I’d wanna hang out with 10, but I wouldn’t have the confidence and I’d just end up at 8. Then when I got older, I'd realize that table 1 was where I actually would have belonged.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Table 8 is where I belong. This is know to be true.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Banging Manuela in the janitors closet is the correct answer.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, now that i'm a bit into my Deers playthrough i'm starting to be real disappointed I didn't recruit Marianne when I was playing through the Lions. I'm probably just going to look up the support myself but i'm interested in her interactions with Dimitri. They're pretty similar in some sad ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

4 or 8, if we're being honest

in other news, I just captured the bridge for the Blue Lions, and is it just me, or is it really obvious that the "maiden" is Fleche?