Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

iTrust posted:

The first example that comes to mind because of how recent it is is that I felt like Amos’ death was just drowned out by the fact the repair creatures were just constantly referred to and made out as if a huge neon sign was above them saying “these guys can fix anything!!”
I thought that too, but I've read people who were surprised at that plot point, so :shrug:

Have you read the short stories/novellas? They're pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I can't remember exactly how it's laid out in TW, but I could see that being a surprise if you hadn't read Strange Dogs.

It's also pretty convenient that a fan favorite character who died unceremoniously off screen is buried on the same planet with the magic revival robots.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Lord Hydronium posted:

I thought that too, but I've read people who were surprised at that plot point, so :shrug:

I'm on team "saw it coming a mile away". Eh. Still enjoyed it I guess.

The ancillary works are IMHO required reading if you liked the series enough to read the whole thing. Low commitment, just as well executed as the longer works, flesh out the universe that much more.

Edit:

Lester Shy posted:

It's also pretty convenient that a fan favorite character who died unceremoniously off screen is buried on the same planet with the magic revival robots.
Avasarala, right? But wasn't she kind of put in a regular rear end coffin/tomb? I can't see the doggos getting to her 'organically' (i.e. without somebody very specifically going "Hey! Let's make Avasarala gray n spooky too! Zombie cussin'!")

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hadn't read Strange Dogs but I could still tell that something was amiss, given how much attention was being given to the fact that they couldn't find his body, and leaving bodies near repair drones is a big no-no.

Also, has Amos been saying "you take care of your tools, they take care of you" throughout the whole series or was it just this book where he started? Pretty long game foreshadowing if it's the former

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, I imagine she'll have to be specifically resurrected for a (probably nefarious) purpose rather than the dogs just stumbling upon her body. Or maybe it's a big misdirection.

Anybody heard any news about book 9? It's been so long since I've read a series that was actively putting out new books, it's a weird feeling.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

IIRC they're on track for a release sometime in 2020, they've been really good about putting them out on a reliable schedule

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also, has Amos been saying "you take care of your tools, they take care of you" throughout the whole series or was it just this book where he started? Pretty long game foreshadowing if it's the former

He's said it a few times. In Book 7 they mention he has it on a sign above the door to the machine shop.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hadn't read Strange Dogs ...

My least favorite of the Novellas right up to the context of TW. Strange Dogs just ends so abruptly as soon as it gets interesting. After TW I get the tie in,

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i'm reading the fourth book and i wish i could step into it and strangle havelock to loving death right now

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah turns out Miller was a bait and switch, even space cops are still bastards

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I could see Laconia holding a resurrected Avasaralla hostage or some poo poo. Sounds a bit crass tho.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so i finished book 4. I ain't read no spoilers. The thing that killed the protomolecule's creators is/was deffo just another faction of protomolecule creators right?

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Lord Hydronium posted:

Are they only available via e-readers and the like or have they ever been released in print? A cursory search suggests the former.

I'd like to read them but I'm not really in a position to read things comfortably unless they're in print. I'm due to get a new phone though so that might change I suppose.

Lester Shy posted:

I really hope they don't do this. I really liked Holden's internal thoughts in Tiamat's Wrath when he was thinking of her and I feel like the story has moved beyond her ballpark. She was at her best dealing with Sol's politics and even in book 6 had kind of become a caricature of herself. Having her back now would just feel like fanservice rather than anything worthwhile. I'd be happy if they moved her remains back to Earth. Laconia insulting her by having her buried there made me really angry. Which was pretty great, to be honest.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
I think the publisher was planning a short story/novella collection when all was said and done but idk

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

NecroMonster posted:

so i finished book 4. I ain't read no spoilers. The thing that killed the protomolecule's creators is/was deffo just another faction of protomolecule creators right?

Do you actually want an answer to that?

It's not explicit, but from the fleeting descriptions of the destroyers in later books, it seems like they were extremely alien to the gate-builders.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i finished book 5. all i gotta say is "well, poo poo"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I just finished Book 8

poo poo is getting most definitely weird and I'm curious how they're going to wrap this all up in a neat bow.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm rooting for space empress duarte and her immortal cyborg assassin

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Rebuilt or not, Amos does have a thing for picking up strays doesn't he? Him being the space dog caretaker at the end was one of my favorite little story bits.

What I'm really curious about is what exactly is going on with Duarte the elder at this point, and what his relationship to the 'Vandals' is. It sure seems to me like the modifications made to him and the blackouts have made him mostly operate on a different order of perception than other people and is somehow able to interact with reality at that 'level'. Maybe his current behavior is because he's constantly perceiving reality like the people who went Dutchman or went through the 'bullets' did? Could be that his protomolecule-human hybrid brain is allowing him to interact with reality on a different scale without getting vooped out of existence like the 'Romans' did. I'm still not convinced that the 'Vandals' are actually some kind of intelligent entity, everything we've seen so far could just be mechanistic reactions to interacting with reality at a different level than we're used to and everyone's over anthropomorphizing it.

I'm also wondering if the authors have read Watts, the whole discussion about Human brains being 'a field combat version of consciousness' reminds me a lot of how baseline Humans in Echopraxia are compared to the transhuman intelligences in that setting:

Peter Watts - Echopraxia posted:

"[she] called you a roach. Unless I miss my guess you took that as an insult, too.”
“Wasn’t it?”
“Common Tran term. Means so primitive you’re unkillable.”
“I’m plenty killable,” Brüks said.
“Sure, if someone drops a piano on your head. But you’re also field-tested. We’ve had millions of years to get things right; some of those folks in the Hold are packing augments that didn’t even exist a few months ago. First releases can be buggy, and it takes time for the bugs to shake out—and by then, there’s probably another upgrade they can’t afford to pass up if they want to stay current. So they suffer—glitches, sometimes. If anything, roach connotes a bit of envy.”

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I'm a little ways through Nemesis games and I'm curious how the series develops from here. With Miller gone, most Ringbuilder tech turned off, and the disappearing ships just getting pirated it seems like it's saying "Ok that's enough crazy all-powerful aliens. Lets get back to Space Risk." Not looking for huge spoilers. Just "Yeah its over." or not.

Travic fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 9, 2019

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Travic posted:

So I'm a little ways through Nemesis games and I'm curious how the series develops from here. With Miller gone, most Ringbuilder tech turned off, and the disappearing ships just getting pirated it seems like it's saying "Ok that's enough crazy all-powerful aliens. Lets get back to Space Risk." Not looking for huge spoilers. Just "Yeah its over." or not.

It's not.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

:dance:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Gee if the series ends with the ring gates being destroyed and a bunch of colonies all all cut off from easy connection there would certainly be quite an... EXPANSE between them all.

I do have to hand it to the authors-- the series has grown quite a bit from the vomit zombies and OMG EVIL CORPORATIONS ARE ALWAYS WORSE THAN GOVERNMENTS of the first book.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

jeeves posted:

Gee if the series ends with the ring gates being destroyed and a bunch of colonies all all cut off from easy connection there would certainly be quite an... EXPANSE between them all.

I do have to hand it to the authors-- the series has grown quite a bit from the vomit zombies and OMG EVIL CORPORATIONS ARE ALWAYS WORSE THAN GOVERNMENTS of the first book.

It's like real life, the evil corporations and evil governments are working hand in hand to gently caress everyone.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It's just crazy to think about how as the series has expanded we've all gotten used to the slow zone and ring gates and such. It's come along way from just evil corporate scientists trying to start a war for profit.

Nice to see Cortozar get his dues though. He was one of the original Progen dudes from the first book, and seeing his arc to the most recent one was satisfying. Seriously gently caress that guy.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Its true, my one and only complaint with The Expanse series is that they portray corporations as just so soulless and evil! Nothing like the corporations that uplift us and enrich our lives here today.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I preferred the beginning of the series, precisely because it was sci-fi that's still on a very human scale. Conflict local to the solar system, no handwavey faster-than-light travel or immortality or other crazy space opera technology to elevate the human race. Just humanity trying to move forward as a whole and yet still getting constantly undermined by political scheming, geopolitical tension and corporate greed.

Maybe that makes it a little bit depressing that it's too close to the actual state of humanity, but it did make for good storytelling!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

adebisi lives posted:

It's like real life, the evil corporations and evil governments are working hand in hand to gently caress everyone.

More like evil corporations tell the government the best ways everyone except the corporations can and should be hosed; the governments, of course act on that advice, because the governments know whose interests are really important.

The only mistake people make in dismissing this is assuming corporations are monolithic in terms of power and influence, and do not get that some corporations are more equal than others.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 4, 2019

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The most unbelievable thing in The Expanse is that the evil CEO is held accountable for his crimes and dies in prison

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Communist Walrus posted:

The most unbelievable thing in The Expanse is that the evil CEO is held accountable for his crimes and dies in prison

We thought the Expanse was science fiction but it was fantasy all along.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Communist Walrus posted:

:hmmyes:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

i'm rooting for space empress duarte and her immortal cyborg assassin

Basically this, but space Dishonored pretty much

I just got caught up on the books and i'm just completely loving astounded at pretty much how everything has played out. The massive balls of these authors to gently caress the status quo sideways at basically any opportunity has been fantastic to read.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I do admire the books for shaking things up (especially 5) but I’ve been trying to articulate a sense of dissatisfaction for the last couple books and I think it’s, basically, that no matter where they go or what changes, it always comes back to people doing the same kind of stuff and having the same kind of conversations in roughly the same kinds of places.

Which is the point of the series: wherever we go we bring human problems and human habits. So it’s formally defensible. But I guess it just doesn’t light my brain on fire with delight to have everything feel kinda pro forma.

Turning our heroes’ first interstellar trip into mud slug adventure might be the peak of this habit.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 8, 2019

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

General Battuta posted:

Turning our heroes’ first interstellar trip into mud slug adventure might be the peak of this habit.

I just started Persepolis Rising and I've been loving it so far, but I felt the same way about that. I was disastered out by the end of that book too. First the planet's reactor explodes. Ok that's bad, but we can work through this. Then fusion gets turned off (Extreme bonus points for characters worrying about the sun going out). Then the defense moons activate and shoot down supply ships. Then the ship's orbits start degrading. Then the death slugs. Then everyone going blind. Then Murtry goes full pants-on-head insane. Then the insanity trying to pull the Barbapiccola up and save everyone. I mean goddamn.

I still have a ways to go but Miller mentioned that the aliens were a hive mind and the anomaly on Ilus kills anything that is connected to what touches it. Maybe it wiped out the whole race/planet at once?

Travic fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 9, 2019

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I've been reading through the books after watching the first three seasons, and it's pretty cool how all the titles of the main books are in some vague way an allegory for the books plot, and then I get to Strange Dogs, and it's about some... dogs that are strange? :thunk:

To be fair Drive is about the Epstein Drive and The Butcher of Anderson Station is about that as well, I just didn't expect this one to be so on the nose.

Good book though, I'm fully ready to plough through the rest of the series (then wait for the ones that aren't out yet) to figure out just what the gently caress happened to poor lil Xan.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Speaking of novellas, there's a new one out next month. It's named Auberon and it's set between books 7 and 8. No points in guessing the topic.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Defiance Industries posted:

Speaking of novellas, there's a new one out next month. It's named Auberon and it's set between books 7 and 8. No points in guessing the topic.

I actually don't remember what Auberon is, so what's the topic :v:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
its about auberon

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Battuta posted:

I actually don't remember what Auberon is, so what's the topic :v:

https://expanse.fandom.com/wiki/Auberon_(Novella)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Would have been more interesting to see the aftermath of the system that lost its gate, but maybe they are saving that one.