Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Do you guys go full on stabbing at each other? Even with a blunted rounded object that seems kinda dangerous; I did a HEMA sword fighting night thing for a bachelor party, and one of the hard rules was "no thrusts, under any circumstances".
you keep it thighs and below only. you lower your points right before you and the other guys close

edit--or the other guy's breastplate or shield if it's a rodelero, ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

xthetenth posted:

Broke: Ragging on the Marines for being the Navy's Army
Woke: Ragging on the SEALs for being the Navy's Army

This reminds me, how do the US marines operate in the late eighteenth/nineteenth century, being a separate service from the navy? Do they still get sent out on ships to do normal marine stuff, taking orders from the Naval officers? Or are there separate navy guys who do fulfil that role.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lindybeige has a video where he debunks rising sea levels from climate change by talking about ice cubes in a glass of water

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

British loaders were trained to load so fast that the Germans thought they were using autocannons

Meanwhile, the Russians used a pencil.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

He did inspire me to learn how to make and use a sling though, not that I've done it yet in the 5 years since he gave me the idea

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommonShore posted:

Lindybeige has a video where he debunks rising sea levels from climate change by talking about ice cubes in a glass of water

Hahaha he sounds like a funny guy

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My experience is that if you watch anything tangentially related to milhist on YouTube you’re going to get chuds, Dad History poo poo, or both spamming your feed before long.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Forgotten Weapons leads down this path quickly.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The only two things I'm happy the algorithm introduced me to is Townsend's old timey cooking channel and the utter joy that is Steve1989.

Otherwise yeah I'm hammering the "Don't show me this poo poo" button on a hell of a lot of recommendations.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I used to quite like Lindybeige when he got started. But he was also my first direct experience with "person seems very clever until they drift into talking about something you actually know a bit about, which reveals that their authoritative-sounding spiel is actually complete bullshit" and then I didn't trust anything he's ever said. This was long before he started airing his political and cultural views for some reason (grift, I assume).

I did watch his videos on WATU (Western Approaches Tactical Unit) because it's a subject I'm very interested in and it was actually quite good, but that was because he was basically reading verbatim from a lecture/paper by an actual historian and defence analyst.

CommonShore posted:

Literally a Karl Pilkington bit, but done seriously and from an apparent position of superior intelligence, rather than the comedic ramblings of a stupid bald Manc.

Mr Enderby posted:

This reminds me, how do the US marines operate in the late eighteenth/nineteenth century, being a separate service from the navy? Do they still get sent out on ships to do normal marine stuff, taking orders from the Naval officers? Or are there separate navy guys who do fulfil that role.

Despite being an administratively separate service, the USMC pretty much acted like any other marine force; as part of the chain of command of whatever naval unit they were attached to. And it was 'normal marine stuff' - shipboard security, sharpshooting from the fighting tops, boarding actions, shore parties, harbour defence, manning a portion of the ship's guns etc. The USMC did seem to be more keen (and more capable) of operating entirely on its own once put ashore (or when deployed on home turf as in the Seminole Wars), what with having its own artillery etc.

Of course none of this precluded a good ol' naval brigade going ashore instead of or alongside the marines. You've got hundreds of combat-trained and armed sailors with you, so you might as well use them. But you can't trust armed sailors against a dozen or so officers onboard ship, so you need a parallel force with (in theory) no loyalty to the main company to maintain discipline, hence why all the major naval powers ended up with dedicated marine branches, which then proved useful for other duties.

Edit:

Minto Took posted:

Yeah :( Gun Jesus is great but it primes the algorithm for some bad poo poo, very quickly.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The only two things I'm happy the algorithm introduced me to is Townsend's old timey cooking channel and the utter joy that is Steve1989.

Everyone should watch Steve1989 just to see him eat a historical artifact.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Otherwise yeah I'm hammering the "Don't show me this poo poo" button on a hell of a lot of recommendations.

Oddly enough I think I've slammed 'Not Interested' on enough Jordan Petersen videos that YouTube finally caught on, and my chud suggestions are down like 90%

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BalloonFish posted:

I used to quite like Lindybeige when he got started. But he was also my first direct experience with "person seems very clever until they drift into talking about something you actually know a bit about, which reveals that their authoritative-sounding spiel is actually complete bullshit" and then I didn't trust anything he's ever said. This was long before he started airing his political and cultural views for some reason (grift, I assume).

That was me with Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I was already sour on the devs for the lead being a Gamergater who just barely avoided crossing the line into overt racism in public, but then I read the in-game codex and found that virtually the entire food section was a bunch of bullshit, with a mix of surface-level pop history research and repeating common myths (including myths from other eras!). Then I found where they had admitted to changing details and models to look more modern to "avoid confusing the audience with excessive authenticity" and it became immediately apparent how much their cries of "historical accuracy" were lies.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think saw this video awhile ago and wondered something that I think was in the comments too. Did the loader have the second shell in their lap or something because there was far less time between the first and second shots than the others.

I suspect it's much more waiting for some of the dust to settle than anything else. There were some pretty long delays between the shots.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

We dive into German containers, whether that means bomb containers or less lethal options. What was a common practice when employing containers with flares in them? Which container was used for radar disrupting missions, and how was that accomplished? Which container wasn't suitable for drops above 300 feet, and what sort of area could it cover at that height? All that and more at the blog!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

chitoryu12 posted:

That was me with Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I was already sour on the devs for the lead being a Gamergater who just barely avoided crossing the line into overt racism in public, but then I read the in-game codex and found that virtually the entire food section was a bunch of bullshit, with a mix of surface-level pop history research and repeating common myths (including myths from other eras!). Then I found where they had admitted to changing details and models to look more modern to "avoid confusing the audience with excessive authenticity" and it became immediately apparent how much their cries of "historical accuracy" were lies.

Any time a game dev goes on and on about historical accuracy they're full of poo poo.

You can have a historically flavored game, but insisting it's historically accurate is just always eye rolling.

If nothing else they are idiotic devs if they value whatever arbitrary way that they're trying to gameify history over actual balance.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chitoryu12 posted:

Got any links? I'm replaying it right now, and I'm not surprised, would certainly like to read more.

What I would give for such a game where you're a service class noble in the Muscovite-Lithuanian wars or something. And not architected by a weird chud I guess.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Oddly enough I think I've slammed 'Not Interested' on enough Jordan Petersen videos that YouTube finally caught on, and my chud suggestions are down like 90%

YouTube put some jerk's video about "Racism isn't real" into my feed and in response I wrote them a message where I explained exactly angry I was, then I stopped using YouTube for about two months. Now that I'm back all my suggestions are music or Mtg or Slay the Spire related. I'm pretty sure it accomplished nothing and this is just a coincidence, but it does feel good to tell Youtube to go gently caress themselves when they promote white supremacist content.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 20, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Minto Took posted:

Yeah and it's a shame because I like that guy a bit and at least in the vids I've seen he's very apolitical

Ithle01 posted:

but it does feel good to tell Youtube to go gently caress themselves when they promote white supremacist content.

And boy is there a lot of it!

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 20, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

I still get Crowder vids every so often, the worst thing about a progressive subreddit being brigaded by "hot takes" by the KotakuInAction gamergate crowd is that they spam hottake videos by 2 bit youtuber "commentators" and their badly edited videos spewing irrelevant garbage and if you click on one to see what vapid point they're making OOPS the Bots think you're into it!

I think I've stopped getting Jorp videos but there's a bunch of youtubers I don't recognize and I'm afraid to click to find out.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Mr Enderby posted:

It seems to have really varied, for example Stephen Decatur was a naval lieutenant when he led the boarding and burning of the (captured) USS Philadelphia, while Presley O'Bannon was a Marine Lieutenant leading the detachment of seven Marines and two Navy midshipmen in the small, very weird mercenary army during the Tripoli campaign of the First Barbary War, including the Battle of Derna.

They largely filled a role of being naval armsmen and being a cadre for amphibious operations in theory, in practice you get some things like Continental Marines raiding Nassau in the Battle of Nassau, and then being tasked to join Washington's army and fighting at the Battle of Princeton, before going back to riverine raids.

By 1812 they're pretty much the snipers and dedicated armsmen on US ships and also used for amphibious landings and battles in harbors and ports (pretty similarly to the Royal Marines, who frequently showed up at the same battles on the other side, including New Orleans). Humorously, during their famous role holding the center of Jackson's line at New Orleans, there were 58 Marines and 106 Navy seamen.

After that, they see a lot of service landside as expeditionary forces all over the Atlantic, as well as fighting as land formations during the Seminole Wars and Mexican-American War. The naval aspect of the Civil War took up most of their resources on ships, with occasional raids and amphibious operations. Between then and WWI they're basically shipboard forces, though again, 'bluejackets' (ie sailors) do a lot of work in all the various colonial and semi-colonial expeditions involved.

With the Spanish-American War having a strong amphibious aspect and a huge number of small expeditionary wars like the Philippine-American War, Boxer Rebellion, Banana Wars (and more!) the USMC wound up being positioned for WWI with a lot of officers and NCOs, so they wound up as a cadre for the massive expansion of US military forces and formed a pretty big part of the AEF.

Between WWI and WWII they spent a lot of time and effort trying to crack the puzzle of amphibious operations with the Pacific in mind. This proved to have some non-trivial use during WWII (citation needed), and from there on out they're their current thing.

(This is naturally something other people can probably answer as well or better, so hopefully they add some more detail)

CommonShore posted:

I love the overlap between climate change discussion and Greenland/Antarctica denialism by Very Smart people.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah and it's a shame because I like that guy a bit and at least in the vids I've seen he's very apolitical

But the thing is that the chuds hate him. He's made positive comments about the John Brown gun club and Redneck Rebellion, which are left-leaning groups. Plus whenever he's made videos about saffa or roadie things, he didn't buy in to the "white genocide in South Africa" myth and even pushed back on it so that's pissed them all off.

It's more that the whole section is awash with terrible political views and it just comes along with it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah, to the best of my knowledge, Ian's cool. He likes neat old guns, and doesn't really go along with the idea that gun owners and people who can benefit from gun ownership fit a certain deeply political mold. But the people who do fit that mold come up and cross-pollinate the recommendations with poo poo.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think I like it the most when he does totally off the wall stuff like the OSS poison dart launcher

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like the phrase "Commie space magic" to describe one of the USSR's more advanced/expensive rifles.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Xerxes17 posted:

But the thing is that the chuds hate him. He's made positive comments about the John Brown gun club and Redneck Rebellion, which are left-leaning groups. Plus whenever he's made videos about saffa or roadie things, he didn't buy in to the "white genocide in South Africa" myth and even pushed back on it so that's pissed them all off.

It's more that the whole section is awash with terrible political views and it just comes along with it.

To be perfectly fair to me, he's made a ton of videos and if I've seen a tenth of them I'd be greatly surprised.

xthetenth posted:

They largely filled a role of being naval armsmen and being a cadre for amphibious operations in theory, in practice you get some things like Continental Marines raiding Nassau in the Battle of Nassau, and then being tasked to join Washington's army and fighting at the Battle of Princeton, before going back to riverine raids.

A) how haev I never heard of the battle of nassau and B) I'd love to hear about the river raids

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hey folks, I could use some advice for the WW2 ships game I'm working on. I've sketched out a rough route, and corresponding historical battles/events, for the player to take over the course of the game:
  • Hawaii: Pearl Harbor
  • Panama Canal: ???
  • Cuba/East Coast: ???
  • Northern Europe: Anchangelsk convoy; Bismarck; Norway harbor raids; Normandy landings (D-day)
  • Southern Europe: Battle of Cape Matapan; Operation Pedestal; Operation Husky
  • Indian Ocean/Australia/Philippines: Battle of Leyte Gulf; Operation Watchtower

As noted, I have a few historical missions to use as inspiration for all of these except for Panama and Cuba/East Coast. I feel like it'd be too much of a jump to go from "we just ran away from Pearl Harbor" to "now we're in Northern Europe", though. Any suggestions for historical inspirations I could use for that set of locations (or the others, I'm not picky)? I mean, I can always just do "the enemies are staging an attack fleet here, go in and sink them", but it's more fun if I can steal from events that actually happened. And it makes the writing easier.

I have a couple of reasons for starting at Hawaii and end in the western half of the Pacific. The first is that basically everyone knows about Pearl Harbor, so it helps to set expectations for how the game is going to work -- more or less inspired by history, but with scope and details tweaked. So e.g. before the aerial raid, the player will be facing a few traditional fleets, which they can successfully repel. Then the aerial rate will be preposterously huge and supported by an airborne aircraft carrier.

The second reason is that the Ring of Fire plays a part in my endgame. :getin:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey folks, I could use some advice for the WW2 ships game I'm working on. I've sketched out a rough route, and corresponding historical battles/events, for the player to take over the course of the game:
  • Hawaii: Pearl Harbor
  • Panama Canal: ???
  • Cuba/East Coast: ???
  • Northern Europe: Anchangelsk convoy; Bismarck; Norway harbor raids; Normandy landings (D-day)
  • Southern Europe: Battle of Cape Matapan; Operation Pedestal; Operation Husky
  • Indian Ocean/Australia/Philippines: Battle of Leyte Gulf; Operation Watchtower

As noted, I have a few historical missions to use as inspiration for all of these except for Panama and Cuba/East Coast. I feel like it'd be too much of a jump to go from "we just ran away from Pearl Harbor" to "now we're in Northern Europe", though. Any suggestions for historical inspirations I could use for that set of locations (or the others, I'm not picky)? I mean, I can always just do "the enemies are staging an attack fleet here, go in and sink them", but it's more fun if I can steal from events that actually happened. And it makes the writing easier.

I have a couple of reasons for starting at Hawaii and end in the western half of the Pacific. The first is that basically everyone knows about Pearl Harbor, so it helps to set expectations for how the game is going to work -- more or less inspired by history, but with scope and details tweaked. So e.g. before the aerial raid, the player will be facing a few traditional fleets, which they can successfully repel. Then the aerial rate will be preposterously huge and supported by an airborne aircraft carrier.

The second reason is that the Ring of Fire plays a part in my endgame. :getin:

For Cuba/East coast, you can easily do a tutorial something where you fight off German submarines, as it wasn't all too uncommon for shipping to be interdicted there. Or go with the Graf Spree making it to Argentina and raiding coastal waters all the way up to the Caribbean. Add in some subs or maybe a German raider here or there and you, again, have a nice starter area.

As for Panama, there was a threat, at the very least, to the canal due to the extreme endurance that Japanese subs had back in the day, but aside from going nuts with ahistorical stuff, there's not much you can do other than potential threat to closing a very important waterway.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
To detail the crazy Japanese subs, if you don't mind some ahistorical designs just have I-400s bombing the Panama canal. They might have only finished three in real life before 1945 and those subs didn't end up doing much before 22 August, but gay black Tojo might have figured out how to trade alien space bats for the steel needed to make more.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

For Cuba/East coast, you can easily do a tutorial something where you fight off German submarines, as it wasn't all too uncommon for shipping to be interdicted there. Or go with the Graf Spree making it to Argentina and raiding coastal waters all the way up to the Caribbean. Add in some subs or maybe a German raider here or there and you, again, have a nice starter area.
I have a tutorial sub mission planned for a bit earlier -- the shakedown cruise will be San Francisco to Hawaii, and there'll be subs to deal with then. But I'd forgotten that the Graf Spee was hanging out around Southern America; that can easily be hauled further north to provide some mission fodder, and it wouldn't hurt to add some wolf packs at this point too. Lord knows I won't need to resort to sub missions once we get to Europe.

quote:

As for Panama, there was a threat, at the very least, to the canal due to the extreme endurance that Japanese subs had back in the day, but aside from going nuts with ahistorical stuff, there's not much you can do other than potential threat to closing a very important waterway.

Don Gato posted:

To detail the crazy Japanese subs, if you don't mind some ahistorical designs just have I-400s bombing the Panama canal. They might have only finished three in real life before 1945 and those subs didn't end up doing much before 22 August, but gay black Tojo might have figured out how to trade alien space bats for the steel needed to make more.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about the submersible aircraft carriers! Those are definitely going in. Ahistoricity is not something I'm at all worried about, hence the airborne aircraft carrier attacking Pearl Harbor. :v: Having a super-sub and its fleet of SS-CVs guarding the escape through Panama is entirely reasonable considering everything else I'll be doing. The main reasons to reference actual historical battles are a) to make my job writing mission briefings easier, and b) to increase the enjoyment of people who have at least a passing familiarity with the stuff I'll be referencing.

Thanks, both of you! Keep 'em coming!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Skanky Burns posted:

Meanwhile, the Russians used a pencil.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

How long until Jobbo gets to that particular type of ammunition?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I met irl Nazis tonight. In partisan milhist memorial, remember that time a jewish ballerina shot some of the fuckers?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franceska_Mann

Also psa to goyim holocaust jokes aren’t funny no matter how many jewish friends you have

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

for Panama and Cuba/East Coast. I feel like it'd be too much of a jump to go from "we just ran away from Pearl Harbor" to "now we're in Northern Europe", though. Any suggestions for historical inspirations I could use for that set of locations (or the others, I'm not picky)? I mean, I can always just do "the enemies are staging an attack fleet here, go in and sink them", but it's more fun if I can steal from events that actually happened. And it makes the writing easier.

The Norway harbour raids (I assume you're thinking of Narvik here) were well before Pearl Harbour happened, for what it's worth...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Out of curiosity I googled "lindybeige brexit" and yeah, up pops a video of him going "We're only in the EU because it suits POLITICIANS"

Six years before the Brexit vote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1rqUs5YlKE

So . . . yeah. At the very least an early UKIP sympathizer.

I mean that's not really 'early', people have been frothing about leaving the EU and bendy bananas and whatever since at least the 90s. That vote didn't come out of nowhere.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

feedmegin posted:

The Norway harbour raids (I assume you're thinking of Narvik here) were well before Pearl Harbour happened, for what it's worth...
There's the option of the later raids against Tirpitz and general coastal shipping in Norway, including the only time that one of Fisher's Follies sank a ship.

Since you have Indian Ocean down and seem to intend a sort of campaign where you circumnavigate the world, maybe you could have a mission based on the Indian Ocean Raid where you have to do your best to evade a greatly superior enemy force while transiting to Australia. It reintroduces the Kido Butai equivalent that defeated the player's team at Pearl Harbor as a significant threat even with all of your hard-won experience in Europe and breaks up the gameplay slightly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

feedmegin posted:

I mean that's not really 'early', people have been frothing about leaving the EU and bendy bananas and whatever since at least the 90s. That vote didn't come out of nowhere.

Yeah that it usually was accepted as pointless poo poo British people grumble about because we like to moan. However combined with a recession, willful ignorance and nu fascist populism it transforms into something else.

Also a goon earlier in the older thread pointed out the best example of how that man is a giant moron in general especially when it comes to boots. I am not surprised with the other stuff at all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Got any links? I'm replaying it right now, and I'm not surprised, would certainly like to read more.

What I would give for such a game where you're a service class noble in the Muscovite-Lithuanian wars or something. And not architected by a weird chud I guess.

The codex info is basically just me having my own expertise on the subject. It claims stuff like people drinking beer because all the water was polluted (a myth debunked a long time ago), that beer was thick like gruel (this was true...in Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia and they had jars with filter holes to pour the beer out if you didn't want to use straws), and that distilled liquor was uncommon and couldn't get to more than about 20% ABV (not only was distilled liquor starting to become a common drink for at least the upper classes by the 15th century, distillation has to create something higher proof just because of how it works!).

Then there's stuff like the carrots being orange, something that wouldn't occur until the 17th century and saw some discussion on the forum. This RPS article discusses the inherent problems with their claims and the entire idea of pursuing "perfect historical accuracy" in medieval fiction.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

and that distilled liquor was uncommon and couldn't get to more than about 20% ABV

To be fair if you're doing freeze distillation rather than the fancy kind that's about what you'd get. Used to be a traditional thing in Michigan and no doubt elsewhere - take hard cider, leave it out in the snow, remove the water as it freezes but before the alcohol does. Om nom nom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

feedmegin posted:

To be fair if you're doing freeze distillation rather than the fancy kind that's about what you'd get. Used to be a traditional thing in Michigan and no doubt elsewhere - take hard cider, leave it out in the snow, remove the water as it freezes but before the alcohol does. Om nom nom

Freeze distillation, yes, but true distillation with an alembic was centuries old by that point and whiskey, vodka, and brandy had been known (both medicinally and recreationally) for over a hundred years by that point. The codex treats it as basically experimental technology that only a few scientists are playing around with, rather than common practice. It's the kind of "research" you would get from reading two pop history books and putting on a podcast. The oldest written record of the word "vodka" was only 2 years after the game is set!