Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rinkles posted:

but are they lootboxes?
They're sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A hot dog is a loot box if you eat it with your eyes closed.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Huxley posted:

A hot dog is a loot box if you eat it with your eyes closed.

a hot dog is always a loot box because you never know what's inside

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

resistentialism posted:

who's older than who, relatively speaking, amongst the plainswalkers? Is that supposed to be teenage jaya ballard? I thought she was really, really old, or something.

Oldest to Youngest
  • Righteous Avengers
  • Zodiac Rooster
  • Graceful Antelope
  • Old Fogey
  • Boggart Arsonists

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Toshimo posted:

Oldest to Youngest
  • Righteous Avengers
  • Zodiac Rooster
  • Graceful Antelope
  • Old Fogey
  • Boggart Arsonists

surprised this post took so long

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Oldest to Youngest
  • Righteous Avengers
  • Zodiac Rooster
  • Graceful Antelope
  • Old Fogey
  • Boggart Arsonists
  • Hyalopterous Lemures

Fixed that for you

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Oldest to Youngest
  • Righteous Avengers
  • Zodiac Rooster
  • Graceful Antelope
  • Old Fogey
  • Boggart Arsonists

:discourse:

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Farmed my 15 wins this week faster than ever thanks to the shakeup. Most of the smart players are just subbing out great cards into good cards for existing archetypes. The rest seem to be building durdley midrange decks or UW fliers, both of which die on turn 4 to Izzet Wizards.

The wizard deck is fast, and the interaction is low enough that you can slam a 26 damage turn 4 easier than you’d think. Arcanist is a Good Magic Card and Adeliz is hasted prowess for your board.

Chill la Chill posted:

OK but how about the reddit thread

Surprisingly positive, that’s why I came here :allears:

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Oldest to Youngest
  • Righteous Avengers
  • Zodiac Rooster
  • Graceful Antelope
  • Old Fogey
  • Boggart Arsonists

I don't get it? Is it how old the cards themselves are?

loving Plainswalk. Ok, that is good.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

resistentialism posted:

who's older than who, relatively speaking, amongst the plainswalkers? Is that supposed to be teenage jaya ballard? I thought she was really, really old, or something.

Nicol Bolas and Ugim are the oldest. Jodah isn't a plansewalker but he is super old, Jaya is about a hundred years younger than him but still thousands of years old. Sorin, Liliana, and Narahari are likewise in the thousands of years old I believe, with Sorin being older. Jhoria, Teferi, and Karn are all about 600 years old with Jhoria being a few years older than Teferi and a teenager when Karn was made. The others all pretty much have normal lifespans.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Toshimo posted:

Oldest to Youngest
  • Righteous Avengers
  • Zodiac Rooster
  • Graceful Antelope
  • Old Fogey
  • Boggart Arsonists

Zodiac Rooster is probably my favorite MTG boss, but the Old Fogey fight in MTG3: Deck Master is also really good. I’m excited to see what crazy bosses Kojima has in Strands of Undeath.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Riversideblues posted:

Farmed my 15 wins this week faster than ever thanks to the shakeup. Most of the smart players are just subbing out great cards into good cards for existing archetypes. The rest seem to be building durdley midrange decks or UW fliers, both of which die on turn 4 to Izzet Wizards.

The wizard deck is fast, and the interaction is low enough that you can slam a 26 damage turn 4 easier than you’d think. Arcanist is a Good Magic Card and Adeliz is hasted prowess for your board.

I made a fun Gates deck that I posted over in the Arena thread. But I agree, I mostly ran into the same overall deck archetypes just with insanely good cards subbed out for good cards. Would've been fun if they restricted more stuff. Most of the tier 2 decks were left largely intact.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I forgot why Nahiri and Jaya got to live several thousand years.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Retromancer posted:

I forgot why Nahiri and Jaya got to live several thousand years.

All of the Planeswalkers did, Nahiri got trapped in a rock before they couldn’t do that anymore.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Jhoira isn't a planeswalker but is very long lived because time fuckery.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

TheKingofSprings posted:

All of the Planeswalkers did, Nahiri got trapped in a rock before they couldn’t do that anymore.

Pre-Mending, yeah, but how long ago was that? It was long enough ago that Liliana was going to die of old age unless she made the demonic pact.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think being stuck in a magical rock prison will do something to prevent aging.

As for Jaya, apparently she met the Gatewatch 60 years after the Mending.

I dunno, maybe she has some magical item that lets her live as long as she wants; she got one for Jodah after all.

Alternatively, WotC forgot.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jhoira drank some time water or something, kinda the same thing that happened to Teferi

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The implication with Liliana isn’t so much she was going to croak from old age but her vanity make her recoil at the thought of aging and eventually dying after a century of immortality. A less extreme version of the freak out post-mending Bolas went through. Jaya’s just aged since the mending happened and didn’t either do everything they can to fight it, be a naturally long-lived race, or already be involved in time bullshit like every other pre-Mending walker we’ve run across. Being a wise old Fire monk might have helped her longevity somewhat, as may a lifetime of magical shenanigans but we haven’t had any of that show to us yet.

e: I’m an idiot. Nahiri was in some kind of stone sleep during the mending and only woke up relatively recently, THEN got dumped in the Hellvault for her trouble, so she probably got hit. I’ve got nothing for her outside the value of hibernation, I guess.

E: I’m even dumber, it’s both? Apparently Nahiri woke up a previous time the Eldrazi almost got out, then got Hellvaulted for who knows how long, including probably the Mending, so there’s a large non-zero chance Nahiri’s running around with a Gen 1 Spark and is likely both immortal and very, very powerful compared to the other current walkers.

MTG Lore is weird.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 20, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nahiri’s spark is still a new Walker spark because of the rivalry they’re doing with Sorin, they’re meant to be roughly equal.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah - as far as I'm aware, being a pre-Mending planeswalker doesn't inherently confer any kind of power advantage over newer ones since they all got de-powered with the Mending.

Being a planeswalker (or maybe just any powerful mage) in general seems to confer some added longevity, but still in proportion to the original mortal lifespan. Dragons live so long though that dragon planeswalkers are functionally immortal, and obviously there are some other planeswalkers with special conditions like Karn/Sorin/Teferi that render them resistant or immune to aging. I would assume that like D&D elves Nissa will be around for a long time too, but I'm not sure if MTG has ever gone into the specifics as much as most D&D settings do.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

speaking of Nahiri, did they ever explain how Sorin got out of the wall?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Eletriarnation posted:

Being a planeswalker (or maybe just any powerful mage) in general seems to confer some added longevity, but still in proportion to the original mortal lifespan. Dragons live so long though that dragon planeswalkers are functionally immortal, and obviously there are some other planeswalkers with special conditions like Karn/Sorin/Teferi that render them resistant or immune to aging.

Being planeswalker pre-mending also meant you had a sort of Wolverine style super healing* and your brain could hold more knowledge than a mortal brain. Bolas started to forgot a bunch of his spells after the mending, even with his very good dragon brain.
Also I think Niv Mizzet is as old as the guild system on Ravnica (~10,000 years?) and he is “regular” dragon, though I guess he could have experimented on himself to extend his life span.

*I think in one of the books Urza inverts through his own body as he is walking around because it’s slightly faster to go through some horrifying cronenberg transformation than it is to just turn around. MtG Lore!:allears:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So the DCI is still going to be a thing after the judge program goes away? Who will do the investigations?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Oldwalkers physical forms were just a chosen manifestation, they were basically energy beings. Not sure where along in the lore this came about, or how consistent they were with it though.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Pulcinella posted:

Being planeswalker pre-mending also meant you had a sort of Wolverine style super healing* and your brain could hold more knowledge than a mortal brain. Bolas started to forgot a bunch of his spells after the mending, even with his very good dragon brain.
Also I think Niv Mizzet is as old as the guild system on Ravnica (~10,000 years?) and he is “regular” dragon, though I guess he could have experimented on himself to extend his life span.

*I think in one of the books Urza inverts through his own body as he is walking around because it’s slightly faster to go through some horrifying cronenberg transformation than it is to just turn around. MtG Lore!:allears:
Urza used to turn people two dimensional to teleport them through the blind eternities and once killed someone by teleporting inside of him so he could wear his skin as a disguise from killer bird robots. He was a weird dude and I miss him.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Lone Goat posted:

speaking of Nahiri, did they ever explain how Sorin got out of the wall?

I don't think he was ever stuck permanently, he was just too demoralized by his failures on Innistrad and distracted by the pain of being embedded in stone to remember he could teleport out. But apparently he got over all that by the time the beacon went off on Ravnica.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Urza was basically wizard Rick Sanchez.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

I don't think he was ever stuck permanently, he was just too demoralized by his failures on Innistrad and distracted by the pain of being embedded in stone to remember he could teleport out. But apparently he got over all that by the time the beacon went off on Ravnica.

sometimes I don't want to get out of bed in the morning, so i can sympathize

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I just kinda figured whatever it was that pulled all the walkers to the big battle with Bolas pulled him out of the wall.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I didn't read the book but it sounded like it was basically just an sos beacon rather than some sort of planeswalker magnet

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Elyv posted:

I didn't read the book but it sounded like it was basically just an sos beacon rather than some sort of planeswalker magnet

No it's at least heavily implied that the interplanar beacon pulls planeswalkers to Ravnica unless you're someone WotC doesn't care about.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

someone make some kind of noticeable post when vorthos talk is over

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
you're right, let's go back to discussing the logistics of what defines a hot dog and MTG tights

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Framboise posted:

you're right, let's go back to discussing the logistics of what defines a hot dog and MTG tights

I stand corrected :(

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

it's sandwiches all the way down, op

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I want the Liliana leggings.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Framboise posted:

As long as we don't combine the 2.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I want the Liliana leggings.

:same:

I know people in the thread were making fun of them, but I would probably wear those semi regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ShaneB posted:

someone make some kind of noticeable post when vorthos talk is over

it's Half of Fame voting season so we soon gonna find out every single time someone has been the slightest bit scummy/sloppy