Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

computer angel posted:

While we were visiting my inlaws, my husband fed a skinny dirty stray some ham and afterwards she did the incredibly intelligent tactic of planting herself outside their house and never leaving. So we took her to the vet, made sure she was fixed, and checked if she was chipped (she was, but no info). Now she's an inside cat in our house and we call her Lump after how she looked the first night we found her sleeping on the picnic table. Her belly is nude from being spayed which at first I thought meant recent surgery but now I think it's just like that permanently. She loves being inside and is incredibly easy to handle, which leads me to believe she was dumped by her previous owners which is not uncommon in our city. I kind of wanted a Ragdoll cat but I guess having a garbage one from off the street is ok too. Anyways that's my story.

Garbage cat from off the street is beautiful and sweet. Congratulations and thanks for taking her in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

computer angel posted:

While we were visiting my inlaws, my husband fed a skinny dirty stray some ham and afterwards she did the incredibly intelligent tactic of planting herself outside their house and never leaving. So we took her to the vet, made sure she was fixed, and checked if she was chipped (she was, but no info). Now she's an inside cat in our house and we call her Lump after how she looked the first night we found her sleeping on the picnic table. Her belly is nude from being spayed which at first I thought meant recent surgery but now I think it's just like that permanently. She loves being inside and is incredibly easy to handle, which leads me to believe she was dumped by her previous owners which is not uncommon in our city. I kind of wanted a Ragdoll cat but I guess having a garbage one from off the street is ok too. Anyways that's my story.

She sounds like a real sweetie :3: You might be surprised at just how beautiful she'll become with enough rest, good food, good care, and love. Poor little thing clearly had a rough time on the street, but I'd be willing to bet that in six months or less she'll have regrown that missing hair and will be a gorgeous dilute tortie.

A pox on people who abandon pets, and blessings on those who adopt them.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

computer angel posted:

Congrats on your beautiful cat! You might want to watch her for possible over-grooming on her belly. If it's bald because she's licking it too much, a vet should check her for mites.

baka kaba posted:

It's something that's been trialled here and the NHS's clinical guidance body has approved it so I'm not really worried that it doesn't do anything, it's more about if anyone's run into any complications with it, or any stories about it helping with this condition (which is apparently really common and something you just have to manage forever? poor lil dude)
You should be careful about applying results in humans for one condition to a cat with a totally different condition. It seems like research on laser therapy in cats is very sparse, let alone research specific to gingivitis. Here's a summary about laser therapy use in animals (but not cats specifically): http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2016/03/wvc-2016-the-laser-craze/ and a slightly newer version (with ads) at Veterinary Practice News.

While it looks like the medical community is a little mixed on whether it's really effective for most things, it does seem like complications are rare, so it probably wouldn't hurt to try. Still, before I committed, I would:
  • ask the vet if she's seen studies about this helping cats with chronic gingivitis long-term
  • ask the vet for detailed info about the procedure (e.g., does it require anesthesia to keep the cat's mouth open? what dosage do they use for this laser therapy? what if the three sessions don't prove effective long-term?)
  • get a second opinion from another vet (if possible, a vet university or dental vet specifically), and ask them what they think about laser therapy for chronic gingivitis
I'd be curious to know how much experience she has about it with gingivitis, because the much more common treatment for chronic gingivitis in the US is to extract the teeth in the problematic part of the mouth. Which obviously sounds drastic but tends to be very effective.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My dad brought two cats in from outside recently. I've only got a picture of one and it's horrible because he just upgraded to a smart phone recently and has no idea how to use it.

I wanna pet that face

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

That's a smart lookin' cat.

Here's an inquisitive Tictac from way early this morning when I couldn't sleep:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sweetheart always seems to know when I'm taking pictures of her and gets all curious (or shy).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fartington Butts posted:

That's a smart lookin' cat.

Here's an inquisitive Tictac from way early this morning when I couldn't sleep:

I have not met him yet so I cannot confirm smarts.

I do have this text about cat number 2

quote:

Also cat #2 is in the house she is not happy

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Oh basil, you certainly have your moods.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

GenericGirlName posted:

Oh basil, you certainly have your moods.

This is a sleek black catte!

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Your cat's face is too big, you should swap it for one with a smaller face.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I learned my lesson that Arm and Hammer litters are not all the same. We normally get one in a black box that's a bit more expensive than the giant orange box. This time I figured "gently caress it lets get the orange one" and it does not absorb odor in the same way and it's just The Worst.

Also I love how when I've got sinus issues rear end in a top hat isn't his normal rear end in a top hat self. He curls up beside me and just lets me pet him with no claws or bites or standing on me.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Played a video of a cheetah meowing on my phone, looked up to see this:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

seiferguy posted:

Played a video of a cheetah meowing on my phone, looked up to see this:

Looking for a cat friend

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LoreOfSerpents posted:

You should be careful about applying results in humans for one condition to a cat with a totally different condition. It seems like research on laser therapy in cats is very sparse, let alone research specific to gingivitis. Here's a summary about laser therapy use in animals (but not cats specifically): http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2016/03/wvc-2016-the-laser-craze/ and a slightly newer version (with ads) at Veterinary Practice News.

While it looks like the medical community is a little mixed on whether it's really effective for most things, it does seem like complications are rare, so it probably wouldn't hurt to try. Still, before I committed, I would:
  • ask the vet if she's seen studies about this helping cats with chronic gingivitis long-term
  • ask the vet for detailed info about the procedure (e.g., does it require anesthesia to keep the cat's mouth open? what dosage do they use for this laser therapy? what if the three sessions don't prove effective long-term?)
  • get a second opinion from another vet (if possible, a vet university or dental vet specifically), and ask them what they think about laser therapy for chronic gingivitis
I'd be curious to know how much experience she has about it with gingivitis, because the much more common treatment for chronic gingivitis in the US is to extract the teeth in the problematic part of the mouth. Which obviously sounds drastic but tends to be very effective.

Hey thanks, I had a look through those links and I'm not surprised really, I couldn't find any info on it being especially effective for cat mouths so I was just wondering if anyone had any positive experiences. I've talked to the vet about treatment before, I mentioned the full teeth extraction and she said it's not at that point yet, so I'm just looking at ways to manage it without putting him on steroids. He's generally happy and healthy, and greedy as heck sometimes, but the inflammation always comes back eventually. So I was wondering if the laser could help with healing from that, so it doesn't flare up again as easily once the antibiotics wear off. She didn't say it was a cure, just that it can help

but yeah, I'm sketchy on it and I don't want to put him through something uncomfortable, or any unnecessary anaesthetic. I'll ask her more about it next time I'm there :tipshat:

is it me or does the google photos robot love generating these

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

I'm so glad I have a friend who is a vet tech. Basil ripped his loving claw off (idk how or where) and I discovered it at 10:30pm on a loving Saturday. Thankfully he's apparently handling it correctly/well so I just need to do a regular vet appointment soon and keep an eye out for overgrooming but I've been in a state of terror since and absolutely sure this cat is experiencing the worst time of his life! Even though he's been exactly his regular self.

Cats are dumb as hell yo

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Cats' thing about hiding their distress is so goddamn frustrating!

baka kaba posted:

is it me or does the google photos robot love generating these

Mine keeps generating "Meow Movie" and it's not like I need to be reminded I take a lot of pictures of my cat.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
My 20 year old girl has added blind/visually impaired to her list of ailments today. The vet changed her hyperthyroid dose which could have a knock on effect on her blood pressure which then can cause blindness. She's coping OK so we'll just keep an eye on her till tomorrow when I can ring the vets.
She was briefly on blood pressure medicine but it didn't seem to do anything except make her bite the crap out of my thumb (pills are not welcome). If it's back to blood pressure she'd better give me something that isn't a pill.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
My cat is currently in Texas with my ex, and we want to bring her to me in Ohio. Are pet transportation services worth looking into? It seems cheaper and easier; neither of us would need to take a round flight, or deal with the crazy drive.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Update after about a month. Wilson and Gonzo have had several confrontations but no blood. Gonzo tends to stalk around the house when they’re all out, seems to follow Wilson around at times. Wilson still hisses if Gonzo gets close to him but I think these two are (very) slowly getting better.

Gonzo and Louis is still trouble though. He seems to stalk Louis more persistently and aggressively than he ever did Wilson. Today was a good example. Gonzo spent a good 10 minutes creeping up on Louis on the bed and stalking around him. He got so close so slowly that my SO thought he was trying to cuddle for a moment. But then he pounced and smacked Louis in the face before she intervened. He backed off but didn’t run, stayed put and cried a little before walking away.

Louis spends so much of his time hiding, we aren’t sure how to help these two acclimate.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 19, 2019

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I figured I'd try tin foil to keep my little gremlin off the kitchen counter.

So is my next option to build an elaborate contraption made of tape that I can take off easily to use the counter until he learns not to be there, or just give up and let him help me cook dinner every night?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Check out scat mats. They're just spikey plastic pads you can put down. Lots of varieties. There are also static charge mats that give a light zap

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to play with both my of cats. but 1 of them is more shy and the other just runs up to whatever i'm playing with. wand, red light or feather, anything really.
The other shy cat will just stare and watch from afar.
The only times I get to her to play is when the other cat is out of sight.

They get along great and play with each other fine so I'm ???

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We gave up on trying to keep Fyodor all the way off the counter. Instead we came to an agreement that one part that doesn't really get used for food prep is the "Fyo Zone" we'll give him treats there and he has his little bowl of greens that sits there. He'll happily hang out in the zone while other kitchen stuff happens.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Shroomie posted:

So is my next option to build an elaborate contraption made of tape that I can take off easily to use the counter until he learns not to be there, or just give up and let him help me cook dinner every night?

I used to get a product called Stickyfoot to dissuade my guy from getting on the mantle. It was a double-sided wide tape, just sticky enough to be unpleasant to his paws without harming him. It worked pretty well and he learned fairly quickly so that I didn't have to keep using it long term. I don't see that brand name around anymore, but I do see "cat training tape" on Amazon and other places, and it looks like much the same thing. Maybe give that a try?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Had a bit of an.. eye opening scare this weekend. I was on my way out the door with my girlfriend to go to a show and our power kind of flickered, then about 30 seconds later our building's fire alarm started going off. A loud, screeching tone with a voice over the intercom started playing saying to take the stairs because the elevators are off. Trying to deal with 100 thoughts at once I immediately realized "I have no idea what to do." My girlfriend has MS and can't take stairs and our apartment people put us on the 7th floor for some reason. I run down the hallway and there's a bunch of my older neighbors (also disabled) who are shuffling into the stairwell because apparently the procedure for people who can't take stairs is to just... hang out in the stairwell.

So I ran back into my apartment, my GF was trying to wrangle up our cats to take them outside. One cat bolted under the couch, and my other cat Leela (who I've mentioned before ITT is extremely skittish and anxious, especially around loud unexpected noises) was basically petrified. She locked in place under our couch and would not move. Now I was reasonably sure that this wasn't actually a fire and the system was tripped by a power outage, however wasn't positive so we started trying to put the cats in carriers so we could GTFO. She got Finn in a carrier but Leela would not budge and basically hissed/growled any time she got near her. I really have no idea what the procedure is here. I obviously wouldn't want to leave one cat in my apartment and hope for the best, but Leela went into a panicked state and even under the best of circumstances she's hard to get in a carrier when it's, say, time to go to the vet. I guess this is a scenario where I have to just put on a heavy jacket and grab her, risking getting scratched/bitten because I'm not leaving her in a burning building, but it really highlighted how loving unprepared we are for a scenario like that. It did end up being a power outage in the area that caused it to happen. I'm glad it happened now instead of waiting for a real loving fire to find out these things.

At one point I ran down 7 flights of stairs to check outside and find out what was going on. I was very jealous of the one lady who I saw coming out of the building with her cat strapped into a harness, calmly walking her through the grass into the courtyard. :argh:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I put some comfy towels in my carrier and have it next to my office desk. My guys hang out in it all the time and it makes shoving them in there a lot easier when it comes time to travel. I find my cats will overcome most scary noises if I just shake the treat jar as well. Makes it a lot easier to find the buggers when they're in some new hiding spot.

The stairway thing is correct procedure, btw. Elevators are disabled and return to the ground floor on the alarm going off. Anyone unable to make it down the stairs should wait in the staircase for help. Fire code should make it so that it's the safest part of the building to be in. Firefighters make their way up and can evacuate anyone waiting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

IronDoge posted:

I put some comfy towels in my carrier and have it next to my office desk. My guys hang out in it all the time and it makes shoving them in there a lot easier when it comes time to travel. I find my cats will overcome most scary noises if I just shake the treat jar as well. Makes it a lot easier to find the buggers when they're in some new hiding spot.

The stairway thing is correct procedure, btw. Elevators are disabled and return to the ground floor on the alarm going off. Anyone unable to make it down the stairs should wait in the staircase for help. Fire code should make it so that it's the safest part of the building to be in. Firefighters make their way up and can evacuate anyone waiting.

I should do that, we usually take them out in advance before vet visits but otherwise they're in the closet.

And I appreciate this info, I did some research afterwards and yeah this seems like the best thing to do in that scenario. I figured it was more for visibility than anything if the firefighters are coming up the stairs but it makes sense that the stairwells are supposed to be the safest part of the building too.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Toss a towel over them if you can. If you cover their head they'll usually freeze up enough to be manhandled a bit. That's what the feral cat professionals do at Tiny Kittens. Of course, they do not have fire alarms blaring and complicating things but having a thick towel between flesh and claws is always going to be a good idea if your cat is having none of what's going on.

Also I cannot stress this enough: Top loading carriers are well worth the purchase! You can just open the top and dump them inside, towel and all, and there is no fuss trying to shove them into a hole they don't want to go into. I think my roommate almost lost a finger trying to get Ender to the vet when he was in a lot of pain because he had one of those front-loading only carriers and even with three adult people we could not get that cat into that carrier when he did not want to go in it.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

mistaya posted:

Toss a towel over them if you can. If you cover their head they'll usually freeze up enough to be manhandled a bit. That's what the feral cat professionals do at Tiny Kittens. Of course, they do not have fire alarms blaring and complicating things but having a thick towel between flesh and claws is always going to be a good idea if your cat is having none of what's going on.

Also I cannot stress this enough: Top loading carriers are well worth the purchase! You can just open the top and dump them inside, towel and all, and there is no fuss trying to shove them into a hole they don't want to go into. I think my roommate almost lost a finger trying to get Ender to the vet when he was in a lot of pain because he had one of those front-loading only carriers and even with three adult people we could not get that cat into that carrier when he did not want to go in it.

These are good pieces of advice.

You could also get a pair of elbow-length heavy leather welding gloves. Mine were less than US $20, and they've been great to have. I keep them by the front door, and neither tooth nor nail gets through them.

My guy's carrier is also permanently on the floor in the back bedroom, with the door open and a comfy towel inside. My guy carries his toys to it and puts them inside.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

All of this really good advice, and it's worth keeping it in mind for the future. Lucky is harness trained; the one time we've had a fire alarm, he froze staring at the door trying to figure out the sound. I grabbed his harness and he was like???? ok??? Slapped that on, and evaced. It sucked since 13th floor, but it helped to know that my intended escape plan works fine.

I've got Toaster now, but Toaster is so much more carrier friendly than Lucky I'll just scoop him in his carrier. The whole routine takes a few minutes max. It's unlikely to ever matter, but do be prepared!!!

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
This is reminding me that we have only one carrier. it's top loading and big enough for them both but Basil gets so skittish I couldn't imagine putting them in together or peach tolerating him being so freaked out.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Another thing that might be worth thinking about for anyone who'd have to go down a bunch of stairs to evacuate with cats would be to choose a carrier that has an adjustable shoulder strap. If you can sling the carrier across your body with most of the weight on your back or hip, it gives you more use of your hands and better balance and mobility getting down the stairs.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

So Neela loves licking condensation off windows. Like, she will scale our five food bed frame to lick the small panel up there, and climb in the tub after we’re done to lick the tub (waiting patiently outside the curtain until we’re done). I know for a fact she gets enough water because she’s constantly going to town on the cat fountain. She’s been like this basically since we got her. Is this some weird instinctual thing?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Cinnamon does the same thing. When we get a bottle out of the fridge she'll hop up onto the table to lick the condensation off it. I guess it must be part of their heritage as desert animals that free-flowing water might be hard to come by so condensation on rocks etc is an alternative source of water.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ProperGanderPusher posted:

So Neela loves licking condensation off windows. Like, she will scale our five food bed frame to lick the small panel up there, and climb in the tub after we’re done to lick the tub (waiting patiently outside the curtain until we’re done). I know for a fact she gets enough water because she’s constantly going to town on the cat fountain. She’s been like this basically since we got her. Is this some weird instinctual thing?

Yeah cats love novel water sources. It's just a cat thing.

Peridot loves drinking from the shower but is convinced that if I ever spot her doing it I will be So Mad At Her so she tries to do it while I'm not looking. If I take too long leaving the bathroom after a shower she will yell at me from the doorway until I leave so she can drink the shower water without me knowing she's drinking the shower water. Cat logic!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of my cats loves drinking the water from the shower left on the metal track the shower doors are on. She'll sit there and wait for us to be done with the shower in anticipation.

Also, yesterday I found a piece of poop (under the bed, not the litterbox, of course...) with a big piece of plastic in it. Like, the label from something, or some packing tape. About two inches long. Likely the same cat as above, as I've seen her chewing on plastic and ripping tape off boxes. I'm frankly a bit amazed, and quite a bit worried that she's going to hurt herself. Guess I need to be more careful with the recycling...!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 20, 2019

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Aleta loves licking the side of a frosty can. She is also crazy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Mel will only lick water off of berry cartons. You know, like those plastic cartons that a serving of strawberries come in. I'll wash the berries in the carton to make the whole thing wet, and then once I've eaten the berries I'll put it down my desk and Mel will spend equal parts chewing as hard as she can on the plastic and licking the residual water off it. idk but it makes her happy so :shrug:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Any suggestions on a cat with BO, preferably one that doesn’t involve giving it a bath? One of my cats has begun to smell like an armpit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ballz posted:

Any suggestions on a cat with BO, preferably one that doesn’t involve giving it a bath? One of my cats has begun to smell like an armpit.

Have someone else give it a bath?