Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
holy moley

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

According to facebook it's a year since mum adopted this hard little bastard

Petition to rename 20 August to Judgment Day

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

=================================
MESSAGE BEGINS

ATTN: ALL FORCES

TRIPLE THREAT IDENTIFIED

CONDITION WHITE DECLARED

REPEAT

CONDITION WHITE DECLARED

GERMAN AND RUSSIAN INFILTRATION ONTO NZ SOIL

AT 1030 HOURS ELEMENTS OF THE RUSSIAN AND GERMAN SPECIAL FORCES SIGHTED BY OPERATIVE TWO FINGER

TWO FINGER REPORTS LOCAL RESISTANCE TOTALLY INEFFECTIVE AGAINST COMBINED FORCES

CALLING IN TARGETTED RECONAISSAINCE EVOLUTION, AIRBORNE TROOP SUPPORT

DO NOT APPROACH BEACH LANDING ZONE

VISUAL AIDS FOLLOW

================================
MESSAGE ENDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My friend’s sister got a dog

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I'm dead :kimchi:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jay Rust posted:

Give it whatever it wants :buddy:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Either Kedah is a natural pointer or someone tried to train her for it. She does the picture perfect freeze with the one front leg held off the ground cocked and even tried to straighten out her tail when she sees a squirrel or cat thats too far for her to think she can grab.

Edit: i think its natural. She only started it a few weeks ago when she started being more controllablefrom the board and train and the ecollar

Stravag fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 20, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I have never baked anything until yesterday. I baked Monty a cake. It was ugly and not worth taking pictures of but he loved it. Here is a pic of him salivating over a slice.

Bonus homemade pupcake on head:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im jealous of your ability to get Monty to hold for nose balancing snacks. Kedah does not believe in such things. If there is to be a snack it is to be in her mouth asap

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

MESSAGE BEGINS

ATTN: ALL FORCES

TRIPLE THREAT IDENTIFIED

CONDITION WHITE DECLARED

REPEAT

CONDITION WHITE DECLARED

GERMAN AND RUSSIAN INFILTRATION ONTO NZ SOIL

AT 1030 HOURS ELEMENTS OF THE RUSSIAN AND GERMAN SPECIAL FORCES SIGHTED BY OPERATIVE TWO FINGER

TWO FINGER REPORTS LOCAL RESISTANCE TOTALLY INEFFECTIVE AGAINST COMBINED FORCES

CALLING IN TARGETTED RECONAISSAINCE EVOLUTION, AIRBORNE TROOP SUPPORT

DO NOT APPROACH BEACH LANDING ZONE

VISUAL AIDS FOLLOW

MESSAGE ENDS

Luca has perfected the art of using cloud cover :ninja:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So the doggo drugs are helping. I left Kedah on her Place bed and did some stuff. Was gone for about 15 minutes. She didnt pee on the floor by the door to say she was made she was locked in, she didnt ransack my apartment looking for snacks, she was on her bed like i told her waiting for me to come back.:3: someone is a good girl who got a pig ear before dinner.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/sHm6K75.mp4

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/El_Gustache/status/1164230022695047168?s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Please keep Lando in your thoughts. His ears went missing again and he’s looking for them everywhere. This includes a very thorough search of this mostly empty ice cream carton.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A black hole, from which no treats can escape :ohdear:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Please keep Lando in your thoughts. His ears went missing again and he’s looking for them everywhere. This includes a very thorough search of this mostly empty ice cream carton.

I wish I had just half of this focus in any of my daily activities.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We took Yoko sailing

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It seems like you own a very fine ebony harbor seal. :buddy:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It seems like you own a very fine ebony harbor seal. :buddy:

Does it bark and flop around on its back?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Jay Rust posted:

holy poo poo :3:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Can anyone help identify this strange sea creature?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You've been blessed by a sighting of the Seafaring Goodboy.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

PUPDATE: Lando heard that there’s gold at the end of the rainbow, so he went looking for his ears there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Can anyone help identify this strange sea creature?

It's the Dog Ness Monster.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fister Roboto posted:

It's the Dog Ness Monster.

Nah, that's clearly Barkopogo.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Monty turning 5 is really messing with me. I’m coming to grips with his mortality and man... it’s really hitting me hard. The worst day of my life will be the day I lose him. So I had a thought, and I want some feedback.

What if I make it my thing to adopt senior dogs and give it the best last few years possible, as a way to train myself to handle losing Monty when that day comes? When one senior dog passes on, I get another one and repeat the process. Would I just be adding tragedy on top of tragedy or do you think this would actually help? Be honest, if this is really loving stupid please let me know.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

colachute posted:

Monty turning 5 is really messing with me. I’m coming to grips with his mortality and man... it’s really hitting me hard. The worst day of my life will be the day I lose him. So I had a thought, and I want some feedback.

What if I make it my thing to adopt senior dogs and give it the best last few years possible, as a way to train myself to handle losing Monty when that day comes? When one senior dog passes on, I get another one and repeat the process. Would I just be adding tragedy on top of tragedy or do you think this would actually help? Be honest, if this is really loving stupid please let me know.

That sounds like a great way to spend every year depressed which would sap your enjoyment of your current time with Monty.

How about you focus on giving him the best possible life with the time he has left?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The most important thing with dogs, as a therapy tool, in my experience, is that they’re all about the NOW.

Dogs aren’t mad you’re late, they’re happy you showed up. They’re not thinking about being back in time for Wheel of Fortune, they want to go for a walk. Who cares about the bills when there’s a squirrel in the park?

Start worrying about Monty’s mortality when he does. For now, enjoy Monty.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Less worry, more scritches is a great way to go through life.

This post is Lemmy approved.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cole all I can say is that Louis dying sucked, but it really did show me that it's worth the price. I wouldn't have Luca now if not for that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Luca pressing F

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Some more thoughts now that Apollo has pried me out of bed: adopting older dogs is a great idea, but doing it for the purpose of hardening yourself to their passing sounds like a terrible idea. Every dog is different and has their own personality and you're going to grieve them fresh every time they pass on, and while you'll get practice coping with that grief, it won't make it hurt any less. On top of that, if you're anything like me, you're going to shut down (kinda) for the months surrounding their deaths - when I lost my two cats of 20+ years, I basically lost that summer. They passed of old age several months apart from each other and I was checked out. Did my day to day stuff but the grief was real.

Then there's the whole issue of living with these older dogs - they're not going to have the stamina of Monty, they're going to have special needs, etc etc. I dogsit for two old dogs and they want to sleep all day, one has several tumors, both are going deaf, the works. They're happy dogs who love being petted and being fed and I love them dearly, but I cannot take them for long walks or roadtrips. Oh, and they pee in the house a bunch. My old cats did the same, bladder control goes pretty fast.

So yeah, what I'm getting at is that I really want you to focus on Monty. I don't know you very well, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like you're in a place where you're prepared to care for older dogs, and I want to prevent you from making a mistake.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Chaco(3) and Agatha(8), stinkin’ up some fresh sheets.

Agatha recently had her annual wellness check, and the Vet classified her as a “Senior Dog.” It kinda hit me in the same place, even though we picked her up as a refurbished model six years ago and she’s been acting like a lazy old lady since she was three.

I love my dogs, and I know you love Monty. When they go, be it tomorrow or in a decade, I take comfort in knowing that I tried my best to give them the happiest lives possible, and in moments when I failed I like to think that they knew I was trying.
(Though Chaco is an rear end in a top hat who might live forever solely to spite me.)

As members of Team Dink, my wife and I have also considered the idea of snatching up some old boy to round out our impending trio once we find a house. Willingly inviting a slow-burn heartbreak into our home seems scary, and maybe we’ll chicken out, but dogs don’t care. Dogs just wanna be dogs and do dumb dog stuff every day they get, and they’ve got the exact life they wanted if you can get enable that for however long.

Merton Blask fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 22, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I appreciate everyone’s input. I’m not sure why this has been weighing on me so heavy. Here’s a pic of Monty as penance for bumming people out:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It’s not a bummer, dude. It’s something we’ll all go through or have gone through already. It’s natural to think of these things; I know I have with Lando. You’re a great human to Monty and he’ll always love you, even when you subject him to supreme indignities such as baths.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

colachute posted:

I appreciate everyone’s input. I’m not sure why this has been weighing on me so heavy. Here’s a pic of Monty as penance for bumming people out:

Don't apologize for existing or feeling how you feel.

My experience has taught me that anxiety is the prime cause of "I need to do something" thoughts.

Monty is lucky to have an owner that cares about him so much, you don't need to "do" anything, other than take care of yourself and him.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hooper and his (adopted) puppies:

He’s 8 years old, and has adopted every puppy my parents rescued since he was there. I know it’s coming sooner or later, but the boy doesn’t care; he just wants to chase squirrels and keep a close eye on his puppies, and maybe go for a swim between belly rubs and butt scritches. He’s just happy to see everyone, regardless of when they arrive or how long it’s been :unsmith:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

colachute posted:

That's a great shot of Monty. Also don't apologize - that is the problem with dogs, they're only here for 10~ years. As a dog owner you gotta deal with that, and welp, do what you gotta do to cope with that.

Meanwhile, this goober is TERRIFIED of my brother's crutches and keeps moving to hide near me. bb, I love you, they're not anything vicious. I appreciate that you're not trying to take them from my brother, but this isn't the right reaction either.... (My bro had surgery to get a glass shard out that had been embedded in there for a year, and he's healing up great.)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
So, I have a problem.

I want to snuggle with Bruce, but he's only interested in going for a walk.

WHAT DO I DO?!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BigDave posted:

So, I have a problem.

WHAT DO I DO?!

Walk, then snuggle!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Walk, then snuggle

e: f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BigDave posted:

So, I have a problem.

WHAT DO I DO?!

Go for a walk with him on your shoulders like a mink stole.