Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
split core/support queue is many years late, but a great boon to the game

I'm still getting two support players who aren't playing support, but at least they're getting LPQ after two games of getting reported for it. And I'm not feeding fighting for offlane and reluctantly playing support on some trash hero who can't do it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Willow is the most confusing hero design to me. Like, why give her five skills where all of them are crazy strong? She'd be totally fine with just four. Of course she's one of the best support heroes in the whole game and one of the most picked heroes - she's got one more skill than every other hero

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

IronicDongz posted:

Does anyone actually play All Random?

Yes. All Random, Single Draft, and Ability Draft unironically have the best matchmaking pools because all the sweatys and retards drift towards turbo and the various forms of All Pick. I enjoy these modes most with parties because your way more likely to get a fun and chill game of dota to play with your friends.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Willow is the most confusing hero design to me. Like, why give her five skills where all of them are crazy strong? She'd be totally fine with just four. Of course she's one of the best support heroes in the whole game and one of the most picked heroes - she's got one more skill than every other hero

shes also made of paper and almost as mana hungry as skywrath but without the instant murder potential that he has. so shes not op, imo, merely very strong and useful. i hate heroes like AA or treant that are also strong and useful but have abilities that rapidly become useless in the late game

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Played a game as ES in the offlane with wraith king. Won handily against Riki and Bane. My WK used his ample farm to go Solar Crest into Necronomicon. #Just1kThings

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

icefrog lost his design touch.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

At least solar and necro are really good items on any hero.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

IronicDongz posted:

Does anyone actually play All Random?

I used to, exclusively. 2k matches or so. Until they broke the mode the patch when they made the big random rework.

Repick was gone (crucial for people randoming Meepo/Wisp/Invoker etc). Bonus gold was also gone, which isn't that big a deal, except you also did not get the new stuff you were supposed to get for randoming (mango+branch iirc). Also you didn't get the free tp that everyone was supposed to get from 7.00 onwards.

This completely decimated the population of the mode. All of a sudden my queue times went from 3-4 mins to 10+ and I just stopped playing AR, started playing AP and randoming there. I don't even know if they ever bothered to fix those clearly unintended changes to AR.

I could never understand why the random rework even happened in the first place. If people were complaining about people randoming in ranked they could have easily just... disabled randoming in ranked? As you can probably tell, I'm still mad about it, 2 years later.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Haven't played a MOBA in ages. Played a bunch of league way back in the day and more recently hots.

Are there any Heroes I should jump on or avoid when I try this out tonight? Ive played a few times but kind of bounced off the game because I had a hard time getting used to items and some of the odder stuff like turning not being instant

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

Haven't played a MOBA in ages. Played a bunch of league way back in the day and more recently hots.

Are there any Heroes I should jump on or avoid when I try this out tonight? Ive played a few times but kind of bounced off the game because I had a hard time getting used to items and some of the odder stuff like turning not being instant

Play Invoker alllllll night long

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Johnny Truant posted:

Play Invoker alllllll night long

Isn't invoker real complicated?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Good heroes to start with:
Cores - Wraith King, Sniper, Drow Ranger, Phantom Assassin, Juggernaut, Ogre Magi
Offlane - Doom, Centaur Warruner, Bristleback, Tidehunter, Slardar, Ogre Magi
Support - Lion, Jakiro, Crystal Maiden, Shadow Shaman, Ogre Magi

Avoid: Invoker, Arc Warden, Meepo, Io, Chen, Visage, Lone Druid, Brewmaster, Tinker, Techies, all heroes with Spirit in their name.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

Oh yeah, I was being very facetious :monar:

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

w00tmonger posted:

just play Lina and go to whatever lane is empty, or join someone on a sidelane. can't go wrong.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

w00tmonger posted:

yeah Invoker is the most complicated by far

So I think Dota items are a lot easier to learn than League items, because when I tried to learn League recently it felt like every carry item was just all stats, and it was almost impossible for me to weight the effectiveness of ability power vs damage vs attack speed. Dota makes things easier by giving just about every item stats, but then also a secondary function. So, let's take Antimage - he's got an ability that each attack drains the enemies mana, but it's a flat amount per attack, so it makes sense to build attack speed over damage. So, you look at the attack speed items, and Butterfly is a LOT of agility and attack speed, but then you see Manta, and that lets you create two more illusions that also burn mana - so, it's easy to see why people would build Manta on him all the time.

My suggestion is to pick a hero that you're going to play for a few rounds in a row, play them until you have their abilities memorized, then move onto another one. My biggest issue in League is that I have no idea what 90% of the heroes do, but I can't play any of the ones I haven't bought (I'm never spending money on the game so I don't have many). Pick a role that interests you (Offlane, Mid, Support, Carry) and then go to dotabuff and look up the best heroes in the role and try them all out. Look at some recent games by high MMR players and look at what items they got and in what order to give you a general idea of what a final inventory might look like. But, honestly, most of it is just grinding out games. I went into Dota 2 with no moba experience aside from Monday Night Combat and I just bounced hero-to-hero and learned that way. My first heroes that I spammed were Venomancer, Razor, and Sven

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

treant [...] rapidly become useless in the late game

lmao. get a freakin armlet, whatever the attack speed hat is called, and a drat basher bro. man up. battle tree ftw

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
get a fukin dagon 5 my man

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Pudge and Miranda are fun heroes have a good time

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

i used to LOVE (old instant HP) armlet, MoM and blade mail on tree. "if you're taking more damage with MoM then you'll reflect more damage with blade mail" was my incredibly strategic thought pattern

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

i used to LOVE (old instant HP) armlet, MoM and blade mail on tree. "if you're taking more damage with MoM then you'll reflect more damage with blade mail" was my incredibly strategic thought pattern

I still remember getting into arguments with people about Battlefury Bounty Hunter in 2013

those were the days

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Wasn't it around the same time that there was an interaction bug that caused people to buy shadowblade on BH?

Ah, so many years ago now.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Ojetor posted:

Cores - Wraith King, Sniper, Drow Ranger, Phantom Assassin, Juggernaut, Ogre Magi

Avoid: Invoker, Arc Warden, Meepo, Io, Chen, Visage, Lone Druid, Brewmaster, Tinker, Techies, all heroes with Spirit in their name.

Windranger and Enchantress are good cores/offlane as well, anything with high mobility that can flash farm or withstand endgame levels of physical damage, magic burst is generally easier to itemize against.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Andrigaar posted:

Wasn't it around the same time that there was an interaction bug that caused people to buy shadowblade on BH?

Ah, so many years ago now.

Yeah the Jinada crit was multiplicative with the Shadow Blade bonus damage

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Ojetor posted:

To add on to this, Vengeful Spirit is the exception to the above "spirit" rule and is very straightforward to learn. She's also very versatile and can be played as either a support or a core depending on the rest of your team.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

don’t forget spirit breaker.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Venge and SB are very good with their BKB piercing disables, relies on having a team that can push with you though, which is rare at lower skill levels

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Hell yea

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Get a mask of madness on nortrom to throw discs with the quickness. Little pro gamer move

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Play Turbo, pick Io and get yourself an Aghs and Heart and mow down bitches

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Makes me really sad that they’ve cleaned up a lot of the goofier ability draft interactions. RIP dusa mana shield triggering over charge and aftershock

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smythe posted:

lmao. get a freakin armlet, whatever the attack speed hat is called, and a drat basher bro. man up. battle tree ftw

yeah but you dont need to pick tree to do that. you can just play any str support

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah but you dont need to pick tree to do that. you can just play any str support

But can any STR support do this?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

i hate heroes like AA or treant that are also strong and useful but have abilities that rapidly become useless in the late game
Really? To me it seems that the supports with high impact BKB-piercing teamfight ults are the ones that retain relevance in the lategame.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

#1 goon build was no boots eth blade rush furion.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Meteor Hammer build on tree is great just for how hard it lets you split push. He can be a pretty annoying hero to catch even with detection.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Did they nerf meteor hammer I havent played in like 2 years and havent seen it at TI.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Looks like it's received nothing but buffs.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Did they nerf meteor hammer I havent played in like 2 years and havent seen it at TI.

its niche, only ever really bought on nyx or tree and I think OG bought it both times I saw it

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kild posted:

its niche, only ever really bought on nyx or tree and I think OG bought it both times I saw it
Its other niche is "my team is outrageously bad at hitting buildings", and that niche will basically never happen at TI because teams have long since gotten smart enough to draft something that hits buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

pro cores are always going to want a bigger item than meteor hammer and pro supports can never justify paying nearly 3k for an item with no real team support ability