Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Didn't realise Philip K Dick was a cspam poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
is bernie considered an ancient

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Not sure what I like more, lost tartary or phantom time theory

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mastershakeman posted:

What happened to the mississipian mound builders

Pretty sure the story I read was they had a series of bad droughts that dispersed them away from the centralized system they were living in and back to smaller organization

edit: and, of course, smallpox

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Aug 20, 2019

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
I will sodomize you and face gently caress you--
Aurelius, you cocksucker; Furius, you little bitch--
since you think that my little poems
have gone soft and I must not be too upright!
It’s true; the devoted poet should stand erect
in his values, but not necessarily in his little
poems, which are truly witty and charming
when they're a little soft, and not too stiff,
but can still cause a little tingling--
I don't just mean for youth, but for hairy men
who can't make their own loins stand upright!
You! You read about my "many kisses"
and doubt I'm fully a man?
I will sodomize you and face gently caress you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

"Tartary, a vast country in the northern parts of Asia, bounded by Siberia on the north and west: this is called Great Tartary. The Tartars who lie south of Muscovy and Siberia, are those of Astracan, Circassia, and Dagistan, situated north-west of the Caspian-sea; the Calmuc Tartars, who lie between Siberia and the Caspian-sea; the Usbec Tartars and Moguls, who lie north of Persia and India; and lastly, those of Tibet, who lie north-west of China." - Encyclopedia Britannica, Vol. III, Edinburgh, 1771, p. 887.

Now compare to the description given by Wikipedia, "Tartary (Latin: Tartaria) or Great Tartary (Latin: Tartaria Magna) was a name used from the Middle Ages until the twentieth century to designate the great tract of northern and central Asia stretching from the Caspian Sea and the Ural Mountains to the Pacific Ocean, settled mostly by Turko-Mongol peoples after the Mongol invasion and the subsequent Turkic migrations."

Tartary was not a great tract. It was a country.​
And to add some credibility (or to take away some) to the story, below you can find an excerpt from the CIA document declassified in 1998, and created in 1957.

Though I do not think that Tartary was solely Muslim. It rather was multi-religious, and multi-cultural. One of the reasons I think so is the tremendous disparity between what leaders like Genghis Khan, Batu Khan, Timur aka Tamerlane looked like to the contemporary artists vs. the appearance attributed to them today.

The Coverup​
The official history is hiding a major world power which existed as late as the 19th century. Tartary was a country with its own flag, its own government and its own place on the map. Its territory was huge, but somehow quietly incorporated into Russia, and some other countries. This country you can find on the maps predating the second half of the 19th century.

Tartary had its own language, flag, crest, its own emperor, and of course its own people.

There is a growing opinion in Russia that French invasion of Russia played out according to a different scenario. The one where Tsar Alexander I, and Napoleon were on the same side. Together they fought against Tartary. Essentially France and Saint Petersburg against Moscow (Tartary). And there is a strong circumstantial evidence to support such a theory.

1. The capitol of Russia was Saint Petersburg. Yet Napoleon chooses to attack Moscow. Why?

2. It appears that in 1912 there was a totally different recollection of the events of 1812. How else could you explain commemorative 1912 medals honoring Napoleon?

Specifically the one with Alexander I, and Napoleon on the same medal. The below medal says something similar to, "Strength is in the unity: will of God, firmness of royalty, love for homeland and people"

3. Similarity between Russian and French uniforms. There are more different uniforms involved, but the idea remains, they were ridiculously similar.

There was one additional combat asset officially available to Russians in the war of 1812. And that was the Militia.

It does appear that this so-called Militia, was in reality the army of Tartary fighting against Napoleon and Alexander I.

4. Russian nobility in Saint Petersburg spoke French in the 18th/19th centuries. The general explanation was, that it was the trend of time and fashion.

Summary: I think there is enough circumstantial evidence to justify a deeper look into who fought who, and why this Tartary country is so little known about.

And the main question out of this all should be what is the purpose of misleading generations of people? It appears there is something tremendously serious hidden in our recent history.

lmao but you know I really like this kind of out there historical revisionism thata Russia is engaging, like the theory that the middle ages didn't exist.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I found some more online discussion about the history of Tartary

http://www.city-data.com/forum/history/1875382-great-tartary.html

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Is Tartary the slav Wakanda?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

I used to keep a document where I listed all my favorite deaths of Roman emperors and I have no idea what happened to it but off the top of my head some good ones were:

Carus: Literally struck by lightning
Caracalla: Stabbed in the back by his bodyguard while taking a piss in the desert
Jovian: Accidentally poisoned himself by inhaling fumes from a mysterious hole in the ground
Constans II: Killed with a bucket

I really want to know more about the last 2.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Peanut President posted:

Clearly it's Atlantis, duh

Don't trigger me

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Peanut President posted:

Pretty sure the story I read was they had a series of bad droughts that dispersed them away from the centralized system they were living in and back to smaller organization

edit: and, of course, smallpox

Im fairly sure they were gone before Euros landed so the disease explanation doesn't work . It's pretty weird and my understanding is no native tribe in America claims to be related to that culture , which is why it's easy to do digs on the mounds but confounding how they just vanished

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cargo cult posted:

I will sodomize you and face gently caress you--
Aurelius, you cocksucker; Furius, you little bitch--
since you think that my little poems
have gone soft and I must not be too upright!
It’s true; the devoted poet should stand erect
in his values, but not necessarily in his little
poems, which are truly witty and charming
when they're a little soft, and not too stiff,
but can still cause a little tingling--
I don't just mean for youth, but for hairy men
who can't make their own loins stand upright!
You! You read about my "many kisses"
and doubt I'm fully a man?
I will sodomize you and face gently caress you.

the old no. 16

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mastershakeman posted:

Im fairly sure they were gone before Euros landed so the disease explanation doesn't work . It's pretty weird and my understanding is no native tribe in America claims to be related to that culture , which is why it's easy to do digs on the mounds but confounding how they just vanished

Mound Builders abandoned their settlements in the 1600s which is after DeSoto's Expedition

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
You start getting into the upper Mississippi valley and yeah that's a little different but the guys on the lower Mississippi absolutely made contact from the south with Spaniards and French

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

twoday posted:

I found some more online discussion about the history of Tartary

http://www.city-data.com/forum/history/1875382-great-tartary.html

I love insane nationalists like this and their Robert E. Howard rear end narratives. I used to post in another forum which had a Turk version of this. Not only was Turkish the language of Eden, not only did the Turks rule a globe-spanning empire in 10,000 BC, not only did they employ viking jannissaries to hold the Himalayas as a bulwark against the Chinese, who if I recall right are cannibals and not human, Indo-European languages were also invented by Christian clergy for some reason or other and most of history is a hoax. He would half-rear end a Turkish etymology for literally everything just like that guy in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. He was at least self-aware enough to joke about it and do stuff like apply his etmologies to LotR characters. But he clearly believed in all of it 100%. Sadlly although he was entertaining he was also a huge racist.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

an entire society that worshiped charles, round mound of rebound, barkely and knows the truth that he was from mississippi and no alabama like the cia wants you to believe

twoday
May 4, 2005

Grevling posted:

I love insane nationalists like this

Here’s one for you

quote:

The Finnish language, being the oldest tongue spoken by man, has not failed to acquire a development consistent to its great age. During the last twenty-five years attention has been paid to utilize the natural beauty of the language and as a consequence in the National Theatre in Helsingfors one may today listen to the most harmonious and sonorous speech of man.

The author of this book, at he time of the discovery of the Tutankhamen tomb, inquired into the Egyptian Hieroglyphs and to a great surprise found several hundred derivations and words of the same root as the respective words used today in the Finnish language. Besides that the old Egyptian language contained many grammatical forms analogous and typical to those, of the Finno-Ugrian languages. Among these is the prodigious use of suffixes by the people who initiated the Hieroglyphic writing in Egypt. The early Egyptian scribes likewise had in their language three numbers,-singular, dual and plural. This existed in the Finno-Ugrian languages up to 2500 B.C., and is still retained in the Finnish dialects spoken by the Ostiaks and the Voguls in the northwestern Siberia and by the Lapps in the northern Europe. The plural of nouns in the Old Egyptian was generally formed by adding "t" like in Finnish. The conjugation of the verbs was likewise similar to Finnish. Besides no articles were used and the possessive pronouns were represented by suffixes, all of which make the Ancient Egyptian nothing less than a Finno-Ugrian language.

Egypt, although being not occupied by great numbers of the Ural-Altaic peoples, owes its civilization solely to this race. The Egyptian civilization was founded and carried on to its highest development by the Ural-Altaic peoples. When they emigrated to the valley of the Nile, they have not left a dated monument, but they have left an imperishable testimony of their presence in Egypt, in the old Egyptian language, in the Hieroglyphic writing and in the early Egyptian pottery.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Peanut President posted:

You start getting into the upper Mississippi valley and yeah that's a little different but the guys on the lower Mississippi absolutely made contact from the south with Spaniards and French

Ah ok. I'm only tangentially familiar with the ones from cahokia to Minnesota

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
There are I think a few dozen Tartaria nuts and they appear to be based here:

https://www.stolenhistory.org/

I read some account about the secret hyperwar against Tartary. For example San Francisco was one of the Tartarian cities that was destroyed by a nuclear bomb:

https://www.stolenhistory.org/threads/who-nuked-san-francisco-in-1906.24/

They claim the Palace of Fine Arts in SF was once a Tartarian building and there are other relics hiding in plain sight. Fun earthquake machines and secret death rays too.

So basically more evidence the internet provides too much raw information for the human mind

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

twoday posted:

Here’s one for you

It's weird that of all the Nordic nations, it's as far as I can tell only the Finns who do this. It may be as simple as their having a very unique language which gives them some wriggle room for crazy theory making.

I've heard that someone's claimed that the Ancient Egyptians were Sami and used reindeer to build the pyramids but that was probably a joke.

One theory which was advanced in earnest is that the events of the Iliad and Odyssey took place in the North Sea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Troy_Once_Stood https://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-europe/was-devil-s-dyke-england-once-part-legendary-city-troy-008799

Grevling has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Aug 20, 2019

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Peanut President posted:

Admittedly it's been a while since I did any real reading on the Mississippians, but I was under the impression that a lot of their cities were already in serious decline/collapse by that point, and de Soto et al made contact with what was effectively a remnant of a mostly dispersed civilization.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Alright, I've decided to become a Tartary truth er. I'm going to learn all the lore and get into arguments about it with people I meet in the park

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

I love historical theories that arise because some moron finds a passage in an old document and it doesn't occur to them that the original author doesn't actually know what the gently caress they're talking about. This just in: Ethiopian communists are to blame for erasing all direct evidence that the Blemmyes did in fact have no heads.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

I love historical theories that arise because some moron finds a passage in an old document and it doesn't occur to them that the original author doesn't actually know what the gently caress they're talking about. This just in: Ethiopian communists are to blame for erasing all direct evidence that the Blemmyes did in fact have no heads.

Who are you going to believe— your lying eyes or a piece of paper hundreds of years old divorced 100% from any sort of relevant context?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

mastershakeman posted:

What happened to the mississipian mound builders

Also that tartar theory is good stuff

Moundbuilder culture declined as people moved on from Cahokia and Moundville, but a few vastly reduced villages continued until the Spanish. People also moved into new villages and they're still around. The Cherokee, Caddo, Creek and Choctaw peoples are all direct descendants, as are a lot of the smaller Indigenous nations along the river. Some people in the northeast corner of the culture probably also joined up with Eastern Woodlands confederacies and feudal kingdoms like the Haudenosaunee, Huron and Powhatan.

If I recall no one claims them more due to arcane federal law around NAGPRA and the chaos of colonization making things more difficult than out west. The western states in general are fantastic about laws to protect ancestral remains. Another problem is how many mounds are on private land, and unless you pass laws protecting cultural patrimony items and human remains (Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico have great ones) then no federal law touches on that.

KiteAuraan has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Aug 20, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

i would live in herodotus world.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Real hurthling! posted:

I highly recommend the novel "Baudolino" by Umberto Eco. It's my favorite of his largely because it's not as arcane and philosophical as his other works, and centers around the story of a pseudo-pre-Marco Polo type who is entirely full of poo poo and tells about his travels to distant lands where all these myths are real, how he turned people with giant ears into medieval close air support, etc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

I highly recommend the novel "Baudolino" by Umberto Eco. It's my favorite of his largely because it's not as arcane and philosophical as his other works, and centers around the story of a pseudo-pre-Marco Polo type who is entirely full of poo poo and tells about his travels to distant lands where all these myths are real, how he turned people with giant ears into medieval close air support, etc

It's my favorite novel of all time

twoday
May 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

If you are into fabricated stories about distant corners of the ancient world I highly, highly recommend reading The Travels of Sir John Mandeville. It's one of my favorite books. It was written shortly after the Travels of Marco Polo and is pretty much a description of a similar journey, except with a ton of made up stories included in it. It's filled with fabulous tales about magical trees and the people who have their faces in their chest, the dog heads, all kinds of weird and interesting stuff like:

quote:

There be also in that country a kind of snails that be so great, that many persons may lodge them in their shells, as men would do in a little house. And other snails there be that be full great but not so huge as the other. And of these snails, and of great white worms that have black heads that be as great as a man’s thigh, and some less as great worms that men find there in woods, men make viand royal for the king and for other great lords.

And as you read it he starts in Jerusalem and goes further east, and the tales become stranger and stranger, accumulating all kinds of myths and legends along the way.

quote:

ABOUT THE TRAVELS OF SIR JOHN MANDEVILLE

Ostensibly written by an English knight, the Travels purport to relate his experiences in the Holy Land, Egypt, India and China. Mandeville claims to have served in the Great Khan’s army, and to have travelled in ‘the lands beyond’ – countries populated by dog-headed men, cannibals, Amazons and Pygmies. Although Marco Polo’s slightly earlier narrative ultimately proved more factually accurate, Mandeville’s was widely known, used by Columbus, Leonardo da Vinci and Martin Frobisher, and inspiring writers as diverse as Swift, Defoe and Coleridge. This intriguing blend of fact, exaggeration and absurdity offers both fascinating insight into and subtle criticism of fourteenth-century conceptions of the world.

Here is a link to the project Gutenberg version:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/782

There is a penguin version that I once had, that was written in more modern English and was much more readable.

twoday has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Aug 20, 2019

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Thread needs more David Reich race science and mtdna charts. The best are maps of Europe with big migration arrows and lots of circles and around haplogroup regions. Now we can finally uncover our True Genetic Tribes

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

twoday posted:

Graham Hancock is an excellent grifter, because he actually has some good ideas. The thought that there may have been a human civilization before the last Ice Age doesn't seem insane to me, why not? A lot of archaeological evidence is under water, he's right. Let's discuss it, I'm willing to at least hear the arguments.

And though it's not him, but someone else in the same vein, I find the idea that the sphinx is actually much older than the pyramids a very interesting and entertaining argument.

The idea that a pharaoh came along and modified an even older statue to look like him makes sense to me:

It makes a lot more sense to me than the currently accepted hypothesis, that the ancient Egyptians, with their highly developed artistic style and knowledge of elegant sculpture, decided to build this insanely out-of-proportion stack of poo poo:

The thing is, you can't discuss this without seeming like a lunatic. It's not open to discussion. One reason for this is just the way that academia works, and that once someone makes a big discovery they end up being in charge of their field and shooting down everyone who questions them. It sucks, and though it seems obvious that we know next to nothing about history and that we should constantly be revising, questioning, and updating it, in practice this is almost impossible because of the way the academy is structured.

But there is another reason why it's difficult to rewrite history, as it's officially recognized and understood. That reason is the existence of grifter ancient-aliens motherfuckers like Graham Hancock. He had some interesting ideas, but ended up being discredited by an overly conservative academic world for being too skeptical. That hasn't stopped him from being one of the most widely known "fringe historians" on the planet. The way he managed to do that was by taking his actual knowledge and interesting ideas, and mixing them together with a bunch of insane bullshit that appeals to lunatics and sells books.

For instance, he wrote a book called "America Before," about ancient America, trying to tie it into his theories about a pre-ice age civilization and such. Ok, fine, let's have this discussion, why not, I think it's a valid thing to consider if he has decent arguments. We should be talking more about ancient america, let's do it! But then at the end of the book he veers off into discussion about how the ancient mounds of the Americas were built by moving stones telepathically, and other insane bullshit that he included just to sell this book to the crystal crowd. He says it all in the same cadence, as if there is no distinction between a good theory and sci-fi fantasy poo poo, and because of that nobody takes anything he says seriously. Not a single bit of it. And that's sad, because sometimes he poses half-decent reasons for questioning the status quo in history, which sorely needs to happen. But then he turns around and discredits all those ideas in the same breath, contributing to the ancient aliens movement with all the other grifters, making a quick buck if he can, seeking to promote his pet theories instead of looking for the truth. In this way he works to discredit everyone else who questions our current understanding of history, and helps ensure that we as culture will continue to fail at revising our understanding of the past. So gently caress Graham Hancock.

Thank you for this. I appreciate I left a loaded question that didn't deserve a response this in-depth.

I haven't read any of his later stuff that involves telepathy stone-moving. I read a few of his earlier books and, being generally ignorant of ancient history, found his ideas compelling. I'm still not sure if this is because he's an archaeological outsider who challenges the status quo, or because he is a very gifted storyteller who can weave a bunch of disparate facts into a compelling narrative.

I'll try not to poo poo up the thread by mentioning him again.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

How can one praise Catullus but scorn DSA chairman Nick Mullen?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

catullus is a very interesting poetic persona imo. its hard to know if he was sincerely saying sone of the things he said as himself or in character in what hes writing cause its some of the most naive, bratty stuff youre ever going to come across but as you keep reading the sophistication builds and culminates from short tedious begging for kisses to soaring epic odes about mythilogical lovers.

big props tho for having your first girlfriend (aka lesbia) be the wife of the provincial governor. big dick energy there. after rejection and roiling through the stages of grief he starts dating men, whom he finds equally unwilling to commit to him. its all very embarrassing and leads to intense meltdowns like the quoted infamous carmen #16

stepping back from the carmina its possible to see catullus as the vanguard of an era of loosening sexual mores ("let us live and love while young and ignore the opinions of the older generation" to paraphrase) during the late republic. of course the pendulum swings both ways and augustus' appeal to romes glorious past required a reactionary attitude towards women and sexuality in general but catullus' short life was long over by then.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Catullus was definitely one of the first Wife Guys.

twoday
May 4, 2005

BMX Ninja posted:

being generally ignorant of ancient history, found his ideas compelling.

That's the crux of his grift. He has some interesting ideas, and presents them in a way that will seem interesting to anyone, regardless of how much they know. Then he devotes a lot of time to railing against established academia, to the point that that some of his readers stop trusting all other sources.

In summary, what he's saying is, "look at this, pretty neat, huh? well, actually this is the truth and everyone else is stupid and/or lying." And that's not how knowledge develops. I think it's fine to question things and come up with new ideas. Just yesterday in this thread I was trying to argue that there was a possible trade route of chili peppers between Central America and Scandinavia before Columbus. Why not think up such elaborate theories? Sometimes that's the only way to get to the truth, because the truth is often unbelievable, so it's worth doing it, just as a thought exercise. But as I was doing this, KiteAuraan presented me with some interesting points about ancient trade networks that made my hypothesis seem unlikely, and that shut me up pretty quickly, because I realized he had a valid argument worth considering.

The way people like Graham Hancock work is just the opposite. They question things too, but they also come up with an all-encompassing theory that explains why they are right and everyone else is wrong. If you end up trapped in that sort of logical fallacy, you can never learn from others, you can never contribute to a collective understanding.

Here's an example that is often brought up by the Graham Hancock/Ancient Aliens crew, the Piri Reis map:

This is an Ottoman map compiled in 1513, based upon other maps and written accounts of voyages undertaken by explorers from Spain and Portugal. Unlike every other map of South America made in that era, it shows that land extends eastwards from the bottom tip of South America. Now, some people use this map to argue that it's proof that Antarctica was a populated and habitable place just 500 years ago. and go on from there to argue all kinds of insane theories about why that is the case, and come up with explanations such as, the world has spun around in the meantime, and Antarctica used to be closer to the equator.

The general consensus is that the "antarctica" part actually closely matches with the remaining coast of South America, and the map maker just decided to wrap it around the bottom of the vellum for whatever practical reason.

And I say, ok, it's fine to make up theories to explain things, as long as you consider all the evidence. But they do not. They have tons of other maps from the same time that portray South America normally, but they discard all of that data when making their considerations, because it doesn't fit with the conclusion they already arrived upon. That's bad!

Graham Hancock operates in a similar way (albeit with slightly more sophisticated arguments), as do many other pseudo-scholars that you see a lot on TV and online these days. The prevalence of these peudo-historical theories in mainstream culture, and the amount of attention paid to them, has led to a countless number of communities appearing which believe this poo poo and ignore everything else. These people end up in a bubble and re-enforce each other's beliefs until they end up totally detached from reality. This is why we have people today who legitimately believe that the earth is flat, or that every monumental structure outside of Europe was built by Aliens.

quote:

I'm still not sure if this is because he's an archaeological outsider who challenges the status quo

This has a lot of appeal, for sure. We all want to be punk rock, deep in our hearts. I support it when people question the status quo, in terms of history. I think that a lot of things were overlooked, that the picture is incomplete, that some ideas were based upon ephemeral evidence and ended up becoming entrenched in scholarship, that certain historical narratives became overly dominant, and that we need to rethink some things. And I think that idea is common, that a lot of things about our understanding of history don't make sense, or are incomplete. Doubting and rethinking the status quo is really what all historians should be doing all the time. But you need to have some sort of system for deciding what is likely or not. You need to be able to discard ideas, but you also need to be careful about the way in which you accumulate new ones, and you need to develop tools for processing that info.

So like I said before, I'm open to the idea Graham Hancock is obsessed with, that there was a civilization during the Ice Age or beforehand. Why not? The other thing is I realize that there is no definitive evidence of this. We haven't even solved the Bronze Age Collapse of civilization which happened 3,000 years ago, and in my eyes we are nowhere near close to being capable of having ideas about the collapse of civilization 11,000 years ago. If Hancock's theory was correct, and there was a civilization before the glaciers melted and the sea level rose, most of the evidence would be destroyed or underwater by now, and I don't think we have enough data to either confirm this or rule it out. Most of the data we do have seems to suggest that this was not the case, so I think it's an interesting idea, but I have plenty of doubts.

But Hancock has no doubts. He is convinced that he is the only person alive who knows the truth of what human society was like 11,000 years ago, and he is happy to tell you all about it, and that is why you shouldn't trust him.

twoday has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Aug 20, 2019

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The empires of Lemuria and Mu predated Atlantis ffs does nobody here read?

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

justified and ancient, ancient and justified

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I guess Doggerland is pre-history, but it's interesting to me how much of the development of humanity in Northern Europe probably occurred in this area that has now been flooded by the sea. Apparently surveys by oil companies and chance finds during dredging are some of the biggest sources of finds for archaeologists working on the topic.

Another topic that sticks in my mind is learning how the Norse were on Greenland before the ancestors of the Inuit arrived. That led me down a number of Wikipedia pages saying that the dominance of Inuit and related languages in the North American arctic is a relatively recent phenomenon, becoming established since like 900 AD. That was interesting enough, but apparently that whole language family also extends to Far Eastern Russia, implying that people were crossing the Bering Strait far after the land bridge was submerged. This made me feel like twoday in that there is this seemingly obvious evidence of contact between North America and Asia that no one talks about.

twoday
May 4, 2005

I make very few claims about Atlantis, but someone told me that Doggerland was the real Atlantis and I find that to be a beautiful idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Atrocious Joe posted:

I guess Doggerland is pre-history, but it's interesting to me how much of the development of humanity in Northern Europe probably occurred in this area that has now been flooded by the sea. Apparently surveys by oil companies and chance finds during dredging are some of the biggest sources of finds for archaeologists working on the topic.

looking at this image the notion that there were societies that could reasonably be called "civilizations" a few dozen thousand years ago doesn't seem so implausible. Oceans are where you're most likely to get sedantary peoples before the domestication of crop plants and so much of the former shoreline is completely underwater now.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Another topic that sticks in my mind is learning how the Norse were on Greenland before the ancestors of the Inuit arrived. That led me down a number of Wikipedia pages saying that the dominance of Inuit and related languages in the North American arctic is a relatively recent phenomenon, becoming established since like 900 AD. That was interesting enough, but apparently that whole language family also extends to Far Eastern Russia, implying that people were crossing the Bering Strait far after the land bridge was submerged. This made me feel like twoday in that there is this seemingly obvious evidence of contact between North America and Asia that no one talks about.

Does anybody here know how dates like that are arrived at? My understanding is that modern linguists consider most attempts to use linguistic drift as a clock are fairly bunk, because languages change at wildly varying paces. I thought almost all attempts to date pre-historic language branches has giant error bars because they tended to be based on things like "if two languages in the same family have the same word for something that was invented in 1000 BC, they probably split after 1000 BC". I guess maybe Inuit inventions around 900 AD could be used for that. My understanding on this topic is almost entirely derived from pop sources so I could be way off.

That said, I think it's also believed that languages that split more than 5000 or so years ago tend to have drifted so much that you can't even recognize them as being in the same family. If Inuit and Siberian languages are recognizably similar that puts an upper limit of their splitting that's far lower than the 11000 years ago that Beringia went under water.