Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

YouTube keeps trying to get me to watch a video about "Survival Cooking", so I'm sure the guy Roger's guy was based on is a pastiche of real guys.

Or the real guy Francis Mallmann

I had to find one with champagne bottles, ready for sabrage. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lmao perfect

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's weird when someone becomes so cool, skilled and confident that they just come back around to looking kind of lame and insecure.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Holy poo poo he's a real guy!?!

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I remember seeing something like this once on some random cooking contest show. They took the contestants to the beach and made them cook with campfires and makeshift equipment. Of course somebody ends up embracing it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PostNouveau posted:

Holy poo poo he's a real guy!?!

If you’re ever in Miami you can even try his open fire Schtick for yourself;

https://www.faena.com/miami-beach/restaurant/los-fuegos-by-francis-mallmann/

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 20, 2019

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Brawnfire posted:

"I can imagine how jarring it is to find me around every corner of your life" cracked me up for an alarming length of time.

They got the timing of all of that perfectly too.

I swear I never laugh out loud when I'm watching something alone but I laughed like three or four times last night.

This season has been nothing but hits.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you want a taste of someone disappearing up their own butt over primitive cooking methods check out the first episode of Michael Pollan’s “Cooked” on Netflix. It’s actually a decent series [especially the fermentation episode] but him and his rich Berkeley friends eating a whole lamb at the end of episode 1 is a major eye roll.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Mallmann is actually pretty chill, he obviously advocates for his style (and the books he sells about it) but he's not really deep in the 'and yea I guess if you like eating poo poo straight from a dog's rear end you can ignore me and use an oven like a goddamn idiot' realm.

The real fucks you see doing that are the rich idiots desperately clinging to a faux-primativism to atone for their bougie lives, see also: the raw water freaks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If you’re ever in Miami you can even try his open fire Schtick for yourself;

https://www.faena.com/miami-beach/restaurant/los-fuegos-by-francis-mallmann/

Surprisingly dull menu for a guy with such an out-there gimmick

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sexpig by night posted:

The real fucks you see doing that are the rich idiots desperately clinging to a faux-primativism to atone for their bougie lives, see also: the raw water freaks.

I'm surprised no one has died from that yet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

I'm surprised no one has died from that yet.

that's the life hack. They live in a faux-primitive way exactly up until their massive wealth and privilege can make that easier.

Get the shits from drinking 'raw' water? It's fine, you've got great insurance and can get a full flight of drugs and treatments to keep it just an uncomfortable couple days.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's raining! :3:

Like I said before I love Francine and Roger episodes, they're very sweet and encouraging towards each other and that always escalates into something insane.

I enjoyed that he went through the effort of reboarding the plane to wave goodbye :3:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

I enjoyed that he went through the effort of reboarding the plane to wave goodbye :3:

That was my favorite just because you can only imagine the process he had to go through.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Brawnfire posted:

That was my favorite just because you can only imagine the process he had to go through.

Yeah I think that's the first time we've seen Roger "I can move really fast" Smith panting after a costume change, dude committed to that bit.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
"Okay, no more turning around"

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The Roger as a renegade episode was on Adult Swim last night and the “Stoyve?!” bit still cracks me up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I used to camp a lot, I've cooked steaks on an open fire. The ashes just add to the flavor. Though it was a lot like Earth Ovens, a traditional cooking method where you make a pit, fill it with hot rocks or coals and them put what you want to cool on top, then bury it.

And Soloman/Melchor are the largest sizes of bottles of wine. They hold 20 standard bottles of wine.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Bricks don't burn bitch.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I used to camp a lot, I've cooked steaks on an open fire. The ashes just add to the flavor. Though it was a lot like Earth Ovens, a traditional cooking method where you make a pit, fill it with hot rocks or coals and them put what you want to cool on top, then bury it.

And Soloman/Melchor are the largest sizes of bottles of wine. They hold 20 standard bottles of wine.

Holy poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Friends of my parents went into wine when they retired from being Lab Techs. The biggest they ever brought to my parents place was a Reboam.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Friends of my parents went into wine when they retired from being Lab Techs. The biggest they ever brought to my parents place was a Reboam.

drat. From one Geoff to another, that's impressive.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Legally it's a vat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brawnfire posted:

drat. From one Geoff to another, that's impressive.

It's only the size of 4, and there was like 12 people at the dinner party, so it made sense.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
I love the continuity of Klaus and his Sidewinder garbage truck picture.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Holy crap, that was a great episode. Honestly this whole season has been amazing. Even the slightly less good ones are still miles above anything else.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

limp_cheese posted:

Bricks don't burn bitch.

Oh I'll FIND a fire hot enough!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Oh I'll FIND a fire hot enough!

That was amazing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cheap callbacks and so much blood and gore.

Be nice if they could squeeze in a joke or two.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

At least a joke just squeezed into the thread!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1164214955580776450

lol XFL

Odd that they are missing the best team:

Go 'zooks!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The St. Louis Battlehawks sounds like a made up team for the Bazooka Sharks to play.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

sassassin posted:

This show's incredible, and the callbacks are well used because they build upon 15 seasons of escalating insanity.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1164214955580776450

lol XFL

Odd that they are missing the best team:

Go 'zooks!

These all look like Wing Commander squadrons or Space Marine chapters.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sassassin posted:

There were only two callbacks, and I actually think they serve as good examples on how comedy shows should handle callback jokes:

Callback one: Francine tears down Klaus's poster. This joke won't make sense unless you've seen Garbage Stan, but it's only a second long and sandwiched between two other gags (Klaus's tiny bed and "This is Lacrosse") so if you don't get it it's really not that big of a deal.

Callback two: Klaus tries to impress Danuta by cutting an onion. Danuta is from a previous episode, but I feel like the joke here stands on its own even if you haven't seen that episode. The gag isn't "oh Hey it's Danuta" it's "Klaus tries to get the attention of a girl he finds attractive by doing something stupid and fails", they could have subbed in another random one-off hot chick for that bit and it would have had the same effect, the fact that they used a recurring character just gives the joke an extra layer of humor if you happen to remember her first appearance.

And as for the gore, well, that's not exactly anything new. This show has always had moments of extreme violence and physical harm played for laughs. Like, remember that time Francine got her face melted off with acid? That was some straight up body horror right there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Danuta worked on its own but the context makes it so much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPqwy6gv0KQ

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And as for the gore, well, that's not exactly anything new. This show has always had moments of extreme violence and physical harm played for laughs. Like, remember that time Francine got her face melted off with acid? That was some straight up body horror right there.

Remember Stan messily chiseling Hayley's face off?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Brawnfire posted:

Or that time Roger swapped faces with Steve?

Lotta nasty face stuff on this show. Funny, but nasty.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Brawnfire posted:

Don't remember that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Don't remember that one

Stan messed up an historical mural, he blames it on Hayley, the town turns against her, he decides to alter her face to disguise her, and there's this gross scene of him like, chiseling her eyes out and stuff, as a callback to loving up the mural.