Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Casey Finnigan posted:

I basically just tuned out the story and jokes around the time I saw the posters for the "Washington 4skins".

Still less offensive than the real team name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/wrathgame/status/1163709066142724096

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
"Ogay" is a Cum Town bit they would say to fill dead air while they think of something else

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I thought it said "UGAY" and my brain kept going back to 2017 GBS

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shoehead posted:

Personally I hope a load of cash getting sent to the Trevor Project annoys the piss out of Terminx and Daedolon

I hope it came out of their pay

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Casey Finnigan posted:

To be honest I don't know if would have even considered the "Ogay" thing as a joke at all. I've dealt with homophobia and I can be pretty on edge about it but like... Naming a lotion bottle "ogay" as a joke is so strange. I would probably just think it's a reference to "Olay" and not even register anything else.

I basically just tuned out the story and jokes around the time I saw the posters for the "Washington 4skins".

Its ironic because I thought the 4skins thing was a dig at washington for their lovely team name. But I guess the devs don't think that way.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
3D Realms apology and donation is heartening. I'm glad they didn't beat around the bush with it :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, the 4skins thing is weird cause they hit the perfect level of tasteless trolling of the actual team name but seem to have done it by just being really bad at delivering jokes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hadnt taken a look at the doom forums recently

scuba steve has been working on incorporating the spritefix project into neuralupscale, theyve also made a sort of half-and-half upscaled smoothweapons pack for use with neural

and related nightfright has been continuing to update the fullscreen hud project, including a compatibility patch for neural in case anyone else had been using both

site fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 20, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Yeah, the 4skins thing is weird cause they hit the perfect level of tasteless trolling of the actual team name but seem to have done it by just being really bad at delivering jokes.

I figured it was trying to aim for the sort of lowbrow bawdy jokes that Duke 3D would use and...I mean they hit it right on the head, but it's not 1996 anymore. Almost feels like a GTA III-era joke at best.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Blood with max enemies is a loving trip. i'm gonna have to go back and lower some of the other settings because goddamn Jojo's tent in the circus is some next level wtf.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

site posted:

hadnt taken a look at the doom forums recently

scuba steve has been working on incorporating the spritefix project into neuralupscale, theyve also made an sort of half-and-half upscaled smoothweapons pack for use with neural

and related nightfright has been continuing to update the fullscreen hud project, including a compatibility patch for neural in case anyone else had been using both

Awwww yeah I very much wanted both of these things, thaaaaaank youuu!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sorry zaph, i updated the link in the post, but make sure you scroll down to the bottom of that page to get the latest neural pack, scuba steve doesnt just update the same link every time. thats my bad

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think the reason i want a new blood is just because i want a western-ish retro shooter.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think the reason i want a new blood is just because i want a western-ish retro shooter.

I would love a PC port of Darkwatch.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Also pretty funny about the whole controversy, because the night before that all happened I took some screenshots in the game of things like the "oGay" bottle of soap and a poster that makes fun of domestic abuse. Was gonna post them in this thread and be like "Game seems cool but this stuff is not that cool" lol

if it's the poster I think you're thinking of, it's a line from "The Room"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Reboot Outlaws

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Diabetes Forecast posted:

if it's the poster I think you're thinking of, it's a line from "The Room"

Haven't seen The Room, so I don't know. I took a screenshot of it, but I guess ShareX doesn't like dual monitors while playing games because the primary monitor that the game was running on is just blank :shrug:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Haven't seen The Room, so I don't know. I took a screenshot of it, but I guess ShareX doesn't like dual monitors while playing games because the primary monitor that the game was running on is just blank :shrug:

Yeah it's just a joke about the line reads here but I can understand the confusion https://youtu.be/Jv3MhjSmR3c

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Mister No posted:

Blood with max enemies is a loving trip. i'm gonna have to go back and lower some of the other settings because goddamn Jojo's tent in the circus is some next level wtf.

I dehumanized myself and faced to extra crispy and that might've been the hardest rooms to clear in all of episode 1, the secret level had some contenders though with the river bit. The tent required dynamite and napalm to soften everything up and even then I lost a chunk of health from what I recall.

I don't know if I want to submit myself to that level of quick saving for the rest of the game so maybe I'll do made to order max enemies and something to soften the reaction time or damage. I'd rather be able to enjoy the rest of the game instead of getting gibbed the moment a cultist pack turns around. Dynamite snooker is fun and all but it requires so. Much. Quicksaving.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Haven't seen The Room

Duuuuuude

That poster is hilarious and you're a bit way out of the loop if you haven't heard that quote 200 times

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, I used to post on the 3drealms forum way back in the day, and the only thing I'm shocked by is that TerminX is a game dev; he and Joe pissed at each other all the goddamned time.

His comments and pushback against the response is 100% TerminX, though.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Escher Labs was fun, but unless I’m misremembering it didn’t really do anything interesting with its weirdness, did it? It’s shooting dudes in corridors and then shooting dudes in corridors only the wall’s the floor now. It’s the Erebus Reactor that’s Dusk’s standout map, I think: a big open arena with tonnes of verticality that lends itself to this huge, constantly evolving battle that’s operating on all three axes at once.

It also feels really hard for me to give points for “the room’s upside down now” when Prey was doing wild gravity fuckery and portal shenanigans in 2005.
Well it's been about 8 months since I played through it but Escher Labs is the map that's managed to stand out most in my memory :v:

Erebus Reactor was... okay? Dusk's bestiary didn't really allow such a thing to shine as well as it could have (or rather, the map itself didn't use anything that could really take advantage of all that vertical space). All the fast melee enemies were grounded and ineffective while I ran around the platforms up top, mowing down the few soldier mooks placed there using the Assault Rifle before looking down to casually pick off the slow dawdling ranged foes with the Hunting Rifle (while having an eternity of reaction time to dodge any of the incoming projectiles). Go back down, clean up what's left, grab the key, unveil the next wave, jump back up, rinse & repeat. Not the most dynamic way to do something but I didn't feel pressured into changing my approach at all.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I don’t know, I wasn’t particularly impressed with any of the guns in Dusk. They’re all very basic FPS fare apart from the crossbow, which is, unfortunately, crossbow, and like every crossbow ever featured in a video game just feels awful to use. The sound design on the grenade launcher is criminal, too.
I'd go so far as to say the sound design a lot of Dusk's weapons was a bit cack; they lack punch compared to the games its supposedly calling back to, and this made them feel underwhelming to use. Especially the Mortar, holy poo poo. That thing was a let-down for firepower too so not even a big bang could have saved that from feeling like I'd been tricked into using it. The explosions in general sounded weak to the point I was convinced the devs had accidentally left a placeholder sound in, but nope, it's still there.

Hardly any satisfaction when the biggest bomb you've got not only does less damage than a rifle, but also blows up wth a pathetic -plep- of a sound. It sounds like a paper bag filled with air being burst.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
lmao, it's exactly as I predicted

Mordja posted:

Give it a year and this thread will be saying that actually the only good FPS ever made is Doom 1 unmodded, sourceports are haram.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

catlord posted:

I would love a PC port of Darkwatch.

Darkwatch is such a weird rear end game

Real blast in co-op though

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mordja posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mordja posted:

literally no one has said that tho

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I don’t know, I wasn’t particularly impressed with any of the guns in Dusk. They’re all very basic FPS fare apart from the crossbow, which is, unfortunately, crossbow, and like every crossbow ever featured in a video game just feels awful to use. The sound design on the grenade launcher is criminal, too.

I liked the crossbow in Heretic, but then again it's pretty much a 1:1 replacement for the Doom shotgun

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the only good FPS ever made is Super 3-D Noah's Ark

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Hwurmp posted:

the only good FPS ever made is Super 3-D Noah's ArkChex Quest

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

No, it’s actually Catacomb 3-D.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's actually Midwinter 2, where you can hijack zeppelins.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Mordja posted:

If by "exactly" you mean "nothing", then yes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

erebus reactor loving ruled are you high.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I enjoy the OG Deus Ex's crossbow, it's kinda like it gives enemies dysentery when used with tranquilizer darts.

e: VVVVV I know about the headshots, but shooting their bodies was pretty funny

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 20, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mystic Stylez posted:

I enjoy the OG Deus Ex's crossbow, it's kinda like it gives enemies dysentery when used with tranquilizer darts.

Somebody didn’t get enough headshots

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
AURGH clip clop clip clop AURGH clip clop clip clop AUGRH clip clop clip clop DAUUGHHHhhh

edit: The sound of NPCs in the original Deus Ex running around in terror while the crossbow does its work is forever etched into my mind.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

CJacobs posted:

AURGH clip clop clip clop AURGH clip clop clip clop AUGRH clip clop clip clop DAUUGHHHhhh

edit: The sound of NPCs in the original Deus Ex running around in terror while the crossbow does its work is forever etched into my mind.

Same, and I even hear some of the levels' music behind the sfxs as I remember it.

What a game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe the issue with crossbows is that because they're projectile weapons rather than hitscan, they lack immediate feedback, but they're still fast enough that the crossbow bolt doesn't feel like an independent entity the way a rocket does. So you end up with this weird middle ground where it just feels like input lag.

I feel like I remember the Half-Life 2 crossbow being pretty fun to use, although the fact that it pinned enemies to walls was probably a big element of it. Plus looking up some videos of it and either it is just a straight hitscan weapon or the projectile moves so fast it might as well be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm replaying Grand Theft Auto series right now (don't ask) and its hilarious how schizophrenic GTA IV is. They're trying to tell a real "serious" story at the same time I'm going to an internet cafe called "tw@t" and seeing ads for Pisswasser beer.

Half the reason I think Red Dead Redemption is regarded so well is because they kept their dialogue skills sharp while eliminating all the dumbass brand names.