Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Another thing to remember regarding the Russians is that they sometimes probably just don't care to cover it up properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Another thing to remember regarding the Russians is that they sometimes probably just don't care to cover it up properly.
Especially now that the guy who's supposed to be the biggest check against their bad behavior has decided that he'd rather eat their cummies.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I mean if they were good at covering it up dems might have to do some soul searching to address the reasons they lose elections

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
obviously the thing to do when smoking an airliner full of civilians is tell everyone tough poo poo and then quietly pay up

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

psydude posted:

I think newspapers like WaPo and the NYT work best in times of political sanity when everyone is in general agreement with a concept of an objective reality. This clearly isn't one of those times, because it's really hard to report on something like "Trump Tries to Buy Greenland" without pointing out how obviously stupid that idea is. And yet the NYT tries.

At the same time, it's worth remembering that both papers have always been conservative establishment bulwarks. Yes, most of their reporting is grounded in facts, but there is a definite slant towards the powers that be and no serious criticism of capital is tolerated - and not just in the editorials, this taints their news coverage. Part of that is that newspapers like that are reliant on access that they're unwilling to risk.

It's just that Fox and OANN are straight up white nationalist propaganda and CNN has lowered the bar for inanity so far that the functional adults still in the room come off like rock stars.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

At the same time, it's worth remembering that both papers have always been conservative establishment bulwarks. Yes, most of their reporting is grounded in facts, but there is a definite slant towards the powers that be and no serious criticism of capital is tolerated - and not just in the editorials, this taints their news coverage. Part of that is that newspapers like that are reliant on access that they're unwilling to risk.

It's just that Fox and OANN are straight up white nationalist propaganda and CNN has lowered the bar for inanity so far that the functional adults still in the room come off like rock stars.

Ok. Who’s the best source for news in 2019?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Right now I get The LA Times for all of my day to day news. For less time sensitive current events type articles I get The New Yorker and The Atlantic.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

At the same time, it's worth remembering that both papers have always been conservative establishment bulwarks.

Obviously you missed that Hannity exposed the NYT as being a bastion of liberal antisemitism last night.

I "love" OAN because as far as I can tell every night during the 6pm new hour they take a break to remind us EXACTLY how much money illegal immigration is costing the taxpayers, and whenever Fox deviates ever so slightly from being 110% in lockstep with Trump they take shots at "the other so called conservative news channel."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nystral posted:

GiP Current Events Thread

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Chichevache posted:

GiP Current Events Thread

CSPAM trump thread is quicker, it also breaks your brain if you read it too much

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Proud Christian Mom posted:

obviously the thing to do when smoking an airliner full of civilians is tell everyone tough poo poo and then quietly pay up

Yeah, but the Russians don't want to admit that they were fighting in Ukraine. So they aren't even up to that pathetic minimum.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Nystral posted:

NYTimes and WaPo are still excellent sources, it's just important to be conscious of their institutional biases. Reuters and AP are both good about mostly sticking to the facts if that's your goal, as is Cspan. The BBC and al Jazeera have their own baggage but can offer a decent outside perspective of US issues. Pro Publica publishes some great longer articles.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I read:

BBC
Al Jazeera
The Guardian
The Daily Beast
Vox
Star Tribune
Talking Points Memo -Clear progressive/liberal bent here as advertised but their reporting is solid and the comment section is actually pretty funny.
Mother Jones when I remember

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1163889530530861056?s=19

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
just remember that the NYT has pretty much been the biggest cheerleader of every lovely foreign policy(and most domestic policy) choices of our lifetimes

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nystral posted:

Unironically CSPAM embedded tweets

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Vice has some good articles sometimes but I think my base blocked them recently >:|

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hot Karl Marx posted:

CSPAM trump thread is quicker, it also breaks your brain if you read it too much

shame on an IGA posted:

Unironically CSPAM embedded tweets

Unironically stare into the abyss of CSPAM with us. It's character building.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnie is going off on the majority of American Jews. Antisemitism?:thunk:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Unironically stare into the abyss of CSPAM with us. It's character building.

CSPAM helped me get over the initial dread of seeing DJTs face on the quarterdeck or other chain of command photos as I just laugh at it now. Just crackin' and pingin' all day

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm curious to see how Trump accusing American Jews of having dual loyalty is going to go.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Actually you will see that tlaib and Omar are the real anti-semites

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Actually you will see that tlaib and Omar are the real anti-semites

Anti-semite is like "thug" now, right? Where it just means "muslim" or "black" instead of the real menaing?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
teh edn

https://twitter.com/elainaplott/status/1163922386191867904?s=19

Well, rip the gently caress out of that effort.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Prop Wash posted:

Vice has some good articles sometimes but I think my base blocked them recently >:|

Vice news was good until it spun off into its own thing that is now dying

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

According to leaks, Donnie hasn't said a word about gun control in several days. Then of course he backs down once he thinks it's quiet. I hope both these things blow up and he has his worst weekend yet.

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm curious to see how Trump accusing American Jews of having dual loyalty is going to go.
I see nothing wrong with the president's comments!
-An Evangelical death cultist who thinks Jesus is coming back.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 20, 2019

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Outlaw religion and use cops to enforce it. Problems will solve themselves.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stravag posted:

Outlaw religion and use cops to enforce it. Problems will solve themselves.

Who was it who said a conservatives worst fear is that they'll be treated the way they treat minorities?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I have a phone number to text for anyone looking to canvas for McKayla Wilke's campaign. Training sessions and everything for people new to the game like I am. Message me and I can give you the number to text for times and details. Stop being goonlords and let's work to fix this poo poo.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Chichevache posted:

Anti-semite is like "thug" now, right? Where it just means "muslim" or "black" instead of the real menaing?

almost, but jeremy corbyn is also anti-semitic, so it means "critical of the imperialist project"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
See also against the troops

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

local current event: things are just fine

https://twitter.com/SamTLevin/status/1163178502905978880

https://twitter.com/SamTLevin/status/1163183189164056576?s=20

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't say this seriously very often, but loving :thermidor:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You’re a real piece of poo poo Margaret

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The law said it's ok! The law said it's ok!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Goddamn margaret you are literally the person the word oval office was invented for holy poo poo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There used to be a landlord thread in BFC where goons traded tips & tricks for pulling poo poo like this and the meltdowns when they got called out on it were so great.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't say this seriously very often, but loving :thermidor:

That would be too loving good for this kind of person.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress you Margaret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

If "Is it legal" is your only restriction for business enterprises, you are pretty much the dictionary definition of "greedy".

It also means there are mobsters with more moral restrictions than you.