Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I won’t be buying one with a sunroof.

I’ve seen photos of them leaking without a sunroof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

Lol what in the hell. poo poo like this and now the GTI manual buybacks is why I think I'm gonna stay clear of VW. I see a new Honda in my future :v:

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
After this DPS6 Getrag powershit transmission in my Focus, I'm pretty down on automatics and robo-shifting in general. How bad is Honda's CVT in the Civic, really? There are approximately zero 6MTs on the dealer lots around here, and I'm losing hope.

My previous cars were all manuals and I really want to go back to rowing but the pickin's are slim. Does Subaru's still feel like stirring a box of rocks like my '03 WRX did? The one in my Mini Cooper S was nice but LOL not buying another one of those. I even had a manual Maxima which was pretty decent, but that was 20 years ago now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lightbulb Out posted:

there are problems with the drains getting clogged but i am really not worried about it, i have to clean the drains on my M5 already

and as far as I can tell most reported problems are from sunroof equipped vehicles and the sunroof being improperly glued in and thus draining incorrectly

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dielectric posted:

After this DPS6 Getrag powershit transmission in my Focus, I'm pretty down on automatics and robo-shifting in general. How bad is Honda's CVT in the Civic, really? There are approximately zero 6MTs on the dealer lots around here, and I'm losing hope.

My previous cars were all manuals and I really want to go back to rowing but the pickin's are slim. Does Subaru's still feel like stirring a box of rocks like my '03 WRX did? The one in my Mini Cooper S was nice but LOL not buying another one of those. I even had a manual Maxima which was pretty decent, but that was 20 years ago now.

You can still get 6MT Accords/Civics yeah? Current Civic Si owns. Also maybe look at the Mazda 3? Depends what you want.

Current Corolla hatch with an MT is also weirdly good apparently.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dielectric posted:

kind of silly to write off automatic gearboxes after you deliberately bought a known terrible one

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

kind of silly to write off automatic gearboxes after you deliberately bought a known terrible one

Yeah, I didn't know it was terrible at the time. Ford sure did though. It was actually pretty cool until it poo poo the bed a few times. The SMGs in the higher-end cars don't seem entirely perfect either.

The auto in our Forester is OK, I just get bored with it and want something to do.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

You can still get 6MT Accords/Civics yeah? Current Civic Si owns. Also maybe look at the Mazda 3? Depends what you want.

Current Corolla hatch with an MT is also weirdly good apparently.

It's an option that no dealers here stock, apparently. I'm thinking Civic hatch, but if the Corolla can get out of it's own way it might be fine. I do dig the Mazda 3, but the hatch looks sort of useless. I cram a lot of stuff into my Focus hatch-hole, so i parked next to a Civic hatch yesterday and they looked approximately equal.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Dielectric posted:

It's an option that no dealers here stock, apparently. I'm thinking Civic hatch, but if the Corolla can get out of it's own way it might be fine. I do dig the Mazda 3, but the hatch looks sort of useless. I cram a lot of stuff into my Focus hatch-hole, so i parked next to a Civic hatch yesterday and they looked approximately equal.

The corolla needs a sport model that’s actually sporty. If they could just turbocharge that 2.0 the car would make an excellent GTI killer. But for whatever reason Toyota absolutely hates power across their entire lineup and just can’t keep up with its competition. A shame really... a dual injected turbo 4 from Toyota is like the holy grail of engines.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I agree. Give me a ~200hp turbo motor w/ LSD hatch Toyota

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah i test drove the Corolla MT and it's painfully slow, like no powerband whatsoever. The (non turbo) Civic I test drove felt like a rocketship in comparison and is just a way better car overall for the same price. The K series motors still have it, not as good mpg as the Corolla but I'll take the trade off all day long

Also the cargo area in the corolla hatch is a joke.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kraftwerk posted:

The corolla needs a sport model that’s actually sporty. If they could just turbocharge that 2.0 the car would make an excellent GTI killer. But for whatever reason Toyota absolutely hates power across their entire lineup and just can’t keep up with its competition. A shame really... a dual injected turbo 4 from Toyota is like the holy grail of engines.

I agree with you, but I will say I was surprised when the Camry V6 came out with 300+ HP and runs a sub 6 second 0-60. I haven't driven the latest version of the Camry, but on paper they seem decent for the mid size sedan market.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Someone buy a rear-ended one and swap the V6 into a GT86 and make it a good car plz.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It might cannibalize non-existent Lexus sales

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

skipdogg posted:

I agree with you, but I will say I was surprised when the Camry V6 came out with 300+ HP and runs a sub 6 second 0-60. I haven't driven the latest version of the Camry, but on paper they seem decent for the mid size sedan market.

Legitimately good car there. A co-worker has one and it goes like hell, and will continue to go like hell for 250k miles probably.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

skipdogg posted:

Okay now we're talking about a totally different story.
The new TNGA platform Camry XSE V6 is probably the best Toyota you can get if you can afford it. The only thing missing are cooled seats. At that level the car is basically a luxury car and leaves you wanting for nothing.
There are absolutely ZERO examples on Canadian lots for 2019 and 2020 models. The reason being they don't sell apparently. Everyone wants to drive the 2.0 or the Hybrid models so you have to special order one. A friend of mine bought one of the last 2018s and I can safely say that it's the first time I felt like a Camry was desirable.

Of course for similar money you can get a GTI which probably goes about as fast and handles a bit better. (Tighter suspension, less body roll etc).

Again Toyota has the means and technology to make very good cars but for whatever reason they just stopped competing with the Germans since the last generation of Lexus IS came out. When the IS350 came out for the first time it was a credible BMW/Audi competitor. Its low to the ground and really nice with the handling.

Now... Now it's woefully outdated and no replacement seems to be coming. As much as I want to like Lexus they really suck when it comes to cabin ergonomics, design and performance. The only reason you'd want to get one now is if you want a semi-luxury vehicle with maximum reliability and a little more upscale dealer experience compared to your friendly neighborhood volume Toyota dealer. Just stick with the Camry XSE in this case... Maybe our cohort of Automotive Insanity posters fits the elder milennial/genX bracket of the population and we're slowly aging ourselves into a situation where Camrys are desirable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kraftwerk posted:

The new TNGA platform Camry XSE V6 is probably the best Toyota you can get if you can afford it. The only thing missing are cooled seats. At that level the car is basically a luxury car and leaves you wanting for nothing.
There are absolutely ZERO examples on Canadian lots for 2019 and 2020 models. The reason being they don't sell apparently. Everyone wants to drive the 2.0 or the Hybrid models so you have to special order one. A friend of mine bought one of the last 2018s and I can safely say that it's the first time I felt like a Camry was desirable.

My local recent shopping experience:

Apples to apples Accords are a good bit cheaper than identically spec'ed Camrys, on the order of ~$5k here! Sure it means a 2.0T 4cyl rather than a 3.5L V6, but that price difference is pretty huge.

Comparison holds across other trims too. Hybrid Accords both sticker $4k lower than Hybrid Camrys and have more dealer discount / incentive.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

My local recent shopping experience:

Apples to apples Accords are a good bit cheaper than identically spec'ed Camrys, on the order of ~$5k here! Sure it means a 2.0T 4cyl rather than a 3.5L V6, but that price difference is pretty huge.

Comparison holds across other trims too. Hybrid Accords both sticker $4k lower than Hybrid Camrys and have more dealer discount / incentive.

Yeah allegedly the Accords handle better, are faster and are better equipped for the same money too. I just don't like them compared to the Camry.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
So anyway, about those CVTs. Should I keep banging my head on the wall looking for a 6MT, or dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Now... Now it's woefully outdated and no replacement seems to be coming. As much as I want to like Lexus they really suck when it comes to cabin ergonomics, design and performance. The only reason you'd want to get one now is if you want a semi-luxury vehicle with maximum reliability and a little more upscale dealer experience compared to your friendly neighborhood volume Toyota dealer. Just stick with the Camry XSE in this case... Maybe our cohort of Automotive Insanity posters fits the elder milennial/genX bracket of the population and we're slowly aging ourselves into a situation where Camrys are desirable.

I don't know about that, we were able to get 2011 LS460 with 20k miles for 25 grand, and it's ten times better than a new Camry and still had the new car smell when we got it. It's the best car we've ever owned by far and is a dream to drive around town or on the interstate. Ergonomics are perfect, ventilated seats are awesome as well as the soft close doors and power trunk lid among other things. The LS an GS are great used bargains because they depreciate like a rock and are usually very well taken care of.

Only gripe about it i'd say is boring styling but it's not bad, and in town mpg isn't great but if you want a V8 that's the trade off. I imagine the new V6 Camry is a little better in that regard but not by much probably.

[e] also the dealership experience is awesome

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 20, 2019

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Dielectric posted:

So anyway, about those CVTs. Should I keep banging my head on the wall looking for a 6MT, or dehumanize myself and face to bloodshed?

If you want a manual, get a manual.

If you can settle for an auto, well, the choice becomes a little easier.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

Of course for similar money you can get a GTI which probably goes about as fast and handles a bit better. (Tighter suspension, less body roll etc).

Again Toyota has the means and technology to make very good cars but for whatever reason they just stopped competing with the Germans since the last generation of Lexus IS came out. When the IS350 came out for the first time it was a credible BMW/Audi competitor. Its low to the ground and really nice with the handling.

the camry hybrid is a vastly better car than the V6

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Why? Is it the 50+ MPG or what? Isn’t the V6 supposed to be quite fast?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Kraftwerk posted:

The Avalon is a lot better than the Camry V6 XSE imo. The current Honda Accord is a better car than the Camry in every way and you can get one with a manual gearbox.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

drgitlin posted:

The Avalon is a lot better than the Camry V6 XSE imo. The current Honda Accord is a better car than the Camry in every way and you can get one with a manual gearbox.

I like the external design and reliability of the Camry XSE vs the Accord 2.0. But I do agree the latter is a better car performance wise. And the interior is nicer. The Avalon is way too big and still feels like an “old man car”

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 20, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I’ve only driven a cheaper 1.5L Accord with cloth seats and a manual gearbox but I liked it a lot more than a fully loaded XSE with a brothel-red leather interior. Rode better, more engaging to drive, way better infotainment.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

drgitlin posted:

fully loaded XSE with a brothel-red leather interior. .

It's called Bunny Ranch Red

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28747885/2020-audi-rs6-avant-photos-info/

quote:

The Audi RS6 Avant is coming to the U.S. market, the first Audi Sport wagon to do so.
The new Audi will compete against the Mercedes-AMG E63 S wagon, the Jaguar XF Sportbrake, and the Porsche Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo.
It will go on sale in the U.S. in the second or third quarter of next year as a 2020 model.

time to put your mouth where your money is

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Kraftwerk posted:

Why? Is it the 50+ MPG or what? Isn’t the V6 supposed to be quite fast?

lol gently caress sake

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That's going to be a whole lot of money :ohdear:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

People have been screaming for this car online for years. I bet they struggle to sell 100 of them

*people being broke rear end internet car enthusiasts who only want them 5 years old for 40% of msrp

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I showed this to my wife, saying this was our next family car. She responded with "why? So we can get to swim practice or the dog park 0.7 seconds faster?"

She's kind of a dick.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Guinness posted:

That's going to be a whole lot of money :ohdear:

I mean, if you use RS7s as a depreciation indicator...

These will not be bad if you're ok buying the ones coming off lease.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

skipdogg posted:

People have been screaming for this car online for years. I bet they struggle to sell 100 of them

*people being broke rear end internet car enthusiasts who only want them 5 years old for 40% of msrp
Probably about 25% - 30% of the comments I’ve read so far on other sites are people shocked that it’ll be M5 money and asking “why so much?”

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TheFonz posted:

I mean, if you use RS7s as a depreciation indicator...

These will not be bad if you're ok buying the ones coming off lease.

Can't get off lease ones if no one buys/leases them new

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
HEY GUYS, SAM CRACC HERE...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what is persuading me to buy that over the E63?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

I still find it hard to believe that companies struggle to sell cars that a super generous 5% of the households in the country could maybe realistically afford.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Kraftwerk posted:

But for whatever reason Toyota absolutely hates power across their entire lineup and just can’t keep up with its competition.

Yet weirdly, someone at Toyota still has a sense of humour, as they built the Blade Master G, which is a Corolla hatch with a Camry V6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

skipdogg posted:

100 sounds like decent numbers. For contrast, MB sells ~40000 total E-classes per year. Figure maaaybe 10% take rate on the wagon, and then maybe 10% of those are AMGs? 400 cars.

I'm pretty sure someone at the group or the brand wants one as the company car.