Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

Is the shitshow around Fairfax and Northam going to hurt D's on a state level in VA?

If I’m honest, most folks have moved on from Northam besides muttering about his wet Muppet existence. Fairfax keeps fighting the charges, and it’s loving up his day every time it does. And since Northam can’t run for re-election, it’s more of a situation of the whole state rolling its eyes.

D’s are fired up as a general rule. The redrawn map all but dooms House of Delegates speaker Kirk Cox (R-Colonial Beach), since he’s now (R-an awful lot of Fredericksburg), and there’s plenty of new candidates to mix with the House class of 2017. And with McAulliffe strongly rumored to take a second round in 2021, it’s mostly optimism.

Don’t discount the effect of the special session on gun control as well; Northam called it in the wake of the Virginia Beach massacre, and Republicans ended it basically by yelling NOPE and adjourning after 90 minutes. As soon as they had the floor, they did a flash motion to adjourn and every Republican voted in lockstep. That’s, uh, not a great look, and they’re gonna get hammered for it. (Even in the more rural parts of VA, the murmurs of “you don’t need automatic weapons to kill a deer” are getting louder.)

There’s work to do. But at this point, the relevant people who need to forgive have...not forgiven so much as rolled their eyes at the wet Muppet and decided that overturning right-to-work is worth fighting for. One vote on each side can do it, and the terrain is still favorable.

——-

This is the occasional reminder that this forum, nor Twitter, nor any other online space is representative of the outside world. What you perceive to be obvious isn’t. The electorate isn’t a monolith. People aren’t rational. And what you think sticks in peoples mind is usually something that stems from pain. Twelve people getting murdered in May and politicians nope-ing out on camera in response is more visceral in a place where a looooot of votes swing, and it just happens to be in the area where Landslide Shelley Symonds lost her coin flip canister drawing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

it just happens to be in the area where Landslide Shelley Symonds lost her coin flip canister drawing.

Tell me more about the bowl!

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

And with McAulliffe strongly rumored to take a second round in 2021, it’s mostly optimism.

T-Mac is absolutely running for VA-Gov again, and he's probably the favorite in the primary.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Nashville will elect its first Muslim to a government position with Zulfat Suara winning one of the five Davidson county council seats tonight. She campaigned on more funding for public education, providing living wages for workers, and more government transparency. Very cool of my city.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Jackson Taus posted:

T-Mac is absolutely running for VA-Gov again, and he's probably the favorite in the primary.

So there's no total term limit max, they just can't run twice in a row?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

theflyingorc posted:

So there's no total term limit max, they just can't run twice in a row?

Can’t run twice in a row.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Friendly reminder for MS goons, today is Primary day.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Today is also primary day in WA. Make sure to mail your ballots in before the mail is picked up, or drop it off in a ballot box.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1158913186340528128

The New York Democratic political machine needs to be absolutely dismantled.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Alrighty folks I promised an update on what a Indiana Precinct chair’s duties are and this is an opportunity right here. Let me effort post a little and explain one of our duties.

I ran for two positions in 2018 in local politics. One was not successful (3 positions available for my townships advisory board, I was 4th out of 6 candidates in total votes) the other was to become a Precinct Chair for the Democratic side of my district. I don’t know if anyone ran actually against me but I did end up winning that election one way or another. So thanks to the goons who helped me get motivated in this thread!

A Precinct Chair is a party position that’s supposed to be considered a pillar of the community (A face of the party in your neighborhood) and someone who can help inform people of when elections are, whose on the ballot, and be a guiding voice for those who have questions. They are also expected to knock doors for candidates and be active during election time as all hands on deck.

On the most part that is what you do. It’s not glamorous and it’s only as fulfilling as what you put into it. The last precinct chair of my district did absolutely nothing. Not even sure if they filed for reelection they were so lazy. Their loss is our districts gain I guess :shrug:

Outside of that there are some party business that can also come up from time to time. That’s where we are today. The city clerk of South Bend, Kareemah Fowler, accepted a position with our city’s school corporation and in turn vacated her position. By Indiana law the party officials must select a replacement until the next election. So after she declared that she was resigning, the bureaucratic gears started to turn and notices were mailed. When we arrived we signed in and were seated with the district we represent and were given the following rules (not exactly what was written on the list, I condensed in places)

Rules of the Caucus
1. The Caucus is open to the public to attend
2. The Caucus Chair will be led by the County Chairmen of the Democratic Party
3. Letters must be sent by first class mail to eligible Precinct officials.
4. Precinct chairs only may vote
5. Vice chairs (if available and approved by the chair) can act as a proxy if conditions are met
6. Once a quorum is established for the vote and voting begins no late comers will be accepted into the caucus
7. VOTING MEMBERS ONCE SIGNED IN MAY NOT LEAVE
8. Candidates must meet legal requirements to hold office
9. Candidates can file for the caucus vote no later then 72 hours prior to votes
10. Parliamentarian will oversee the counting and voting processes
11. Vote watching is open to the public and encouraged for transparency.
12. Winning candidate must get a majority of the votes to be declared a winner.
13. if no candidate wins the majority, the candidate who received the least amount of votes will be removed and new ballots will be cast.
14. State law specifies that the chair will break any ties that occur in the caucus

The chair starts with a role call to confirm that everyone who signed in is still in the building and to make sure that present members remembered to actually sign in (a few hosed up) once roll call has been made and the voting body is locked, the candidates are given a final 3 minutes to plead their case to the Chair’s in a last ditch effort to persuade. Side note one of the older people name dropped Reagan and that immediately turned me off from ever voting for them. :barf: can you guess their age?

The total that came was 65 chairs so 33 votes are needed for majority. Districts are called in numerical order and role is made for each ballot. In the event of a tie, the chair ruled a coin flip to determine the victor. Precinct chairs that are on the ballot can also vote in this election apparently which is shock to me because not everyone on the ballot is a precinct chair so that right off the bat causes a handicap. Nonetheless this back and forth went for a bit and below is the breakdown per ballot (9 candidates on the ballot to start)
Election results of who dropped by Ballot
1st round drop- Mary Jenkins
2nd round drop- Stephanie Ball
3rd round drops- John Voorde and Jason Banicki-Critchlow (I didn’t hear the full of what went down here but I think they both dropped after seeing the results of that run)
4th round drop- Pat Shelton
5th round drop- Bianca Tirado
6th round drop- Jill LaFountain
7th round drop- Lisa Plencher

South Bend’s new city clerk- Dawn Jones

Shortly after the ballots were finally tabulated, she was sworn in immediately and after an exhausting and close caucus the deed is done!

If anyone in Indiana sees this and is interested in being a Chair, please drop me a line here or in my inbox. Elections are around the corner and now is the time for planning!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Speaking of Indiana, let’s see how the Dem candidates for IN-5 are shaping up.

https://twitter.com/votethornton/status/1160003903813038081

Oh. poo poo. :negative:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Loucks posted:

Speaking of Indiana, let’s see how the Dem candidates for IN-5 are shaping up.

https://twitter.com/votethornton/status/1160003903813038081

Oh. poo poo. :negative:

That’s ummmm quite a take there. :stonk:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Yeah. I yelled at her for it, but she's a comfortable Carmelite to whom undocumented immigrants aren't real. I still have a yard sign for her from last time due to poo poo options, but I'll be damned if I'll donate or vote for any more trash Dems. Voting for Donnelly was bad enough.

Her opponent, Hale, hasn't posted anything of substance except "Let's do something about guns!" but she has made it a point to ensure we know that she is a problem solver, a willing collaborator with Republicans, and a "dog mom!"

I'm exasperated enough to have fantasies of running for office just to ensure that someone in the race has good positions. Too bad it's non-Indianpolis central IN, where good positions are illegal.

edit: I even have the OK from my spouse, with budgetary proof that it would be sustainable, but I don't think they really grasp the exposure that accompanies a run for public office.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Loucks posted:

Yeah. I yelled at her for it, but she's a comfortable Carmelite to whom undocumented immigrants aren't real. I still have a yard sign for her from last time due to poo poo options, but I'll be damned if I'll donate or vote for any more trash Dems. Voting for Donnelly was bad enough.

Her opponent, Hale, hasn't posted anything of substance except "Let's do something about guns!" but she has made it a point to ensure we know that she is a problem solver, a willing collaborator with Republicans, and a "dog mom!"

I'm exasperated enough to have fantasies of running for office just to ensure that someone in the race has good positions. Too bad it's non-Indianpolis central IN, where good positions are illegal.

edit: I even have the OK from my spouse, with budgetary proof that it would be sustainable, but I don't think they really grasp the exposure that accompanies a run for public office.

If you want to do it you should start to think about it right this second. There are forms you will want to get notarized and filed with county clerk and election board and I can pull those for you when the General this year is over since they could be obsolete by the time that elections over.

They must be submitted 90 days before a primary and you will also want to preclear your districts eligibility with the voter office because sometimes people have challenged candidacy based on that.

It also doesn’t hurt to talk to Hamilton county’s (I am assuming you reside their due to name dropping Carmel) Democratic Headquarters. Even if you chose not to run for House, there are plenty of local positions that could use fresh blood and progressive voices.

Please keep me In the loop. I would love to help if I can.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I guess I do have some happier kinda-political news from southern Indiana. The Spencer County Circuit Court rejected an appeal from a local coal company trying to get a new zoning hearing for a new coal mine and they seem to have abandoned that project. A 2,000 MW coal plant is set to retire half its capacity way ahead of schedule, most likely by 2028. On top of all that, two major solar farms are set to come online by 2024.

All that news kinda came together in the last couple of weeks, and there's a lot of awkward silences from the people who loudly insisted that coal would be king here forever. The Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission even rejected a natural gas project from Vectren because the state's starting to recommend renewables based solely on cost savings.

That said, a coal-to-diesel refinery is almost certain to go forward here, and the company in charge of that project seems to see that as a way to keep using coal when burning it no longer makes economic sense. It's being fiercely fought by local residents and it'll probably be a huge issue for municipal candidates in the county, so backlash could theoretically kill it after November.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's almost like all the good democrat statesmen moved out of Indiana.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

It's almost like all the good democrat statesmen moved out of Indiana.

We are here, we are just drowned out in gerrymandered districts atm.

Indiana has gone blue before and it will again. Start locally and build out. That’s all we can do

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Has anyone else noticed a downturn in canvassing hit rate? I feel like I've gone from seeing 20-25% hitrates to seeing 10-15% this year. I suspect the culprit is those Ring doorbells (and competitors) where you get a video of who is at the door. Nobody's gonna answer to a fat stranger with a clipboard, obviously. Thoughts?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Rates out here have been steady as ever - I’ve found it’s more of a trust thing to come to your door with an unexpected knock. More dense areas get more answers; the suburbs are far more distrustful. I find that genuinely amusing.

The endorsement list from the Virginia AFL-CIO is out, and endorsements hinged almost exclusively on whether the candidate supports repealing Right to Work. So no matter how the DNC feels about Lee Carter, he’s fully embraced by Labor and it owns so very much. (Being the author of the drat bill certainly helps, you know?)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Apparently Philosophy Tube was doing a charity livestream a few hours ago, and Lee was reading parts from Othello. I was at work and missed it (because college bookstores are very busy the day before classes start) and am going to bed early (because I have classes tomorrow), but if someone finds a vod or clip, please post it!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He just left.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Rates out here have been steady as ever - I’ve found it’s more of a trust thing to come to your door with an unexpected knock. More dense areas get more answers; the suburbs are far more distrustful. I find that genuinely amusing.

The endorsement list from the Virginia AFL-CIO is out, and endorsements hinged almost exclusively on whether the candidate supports repealing Right to Work. So no matter how the DNC feels about Lee Carter, he’s fully embraced by Labor and it owns so very much. (Being the author of the drat bill certainly helps, you know?)

I tried looking for this endorsement list online. I checked the Virginia AFL-CIO site and their twitter but I couldn't find it. Would you happen to have a link?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

nonrev posted:

I tried looking for this endorsement list online. I checked the Virginia AFL-CIO site and their twitter but I couldn't find it. Would you happen to have a link?

Don’t have a link, just an internal list. I think it’ll be public in a week.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

drat Right, the DNC can't get rid of Lee now because he is the AFL-CIO's boy and lol they are stuck with him now. Eat poo poo centrists. Lee Carter is helping to yank the VA Dem Party to the left and it owns so hard because now they actually have to listen to unions because people are starting to primary succdems.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I've been so wrapped up in national and state politics that I've neglected to follow local poo poo in my city of Raleigh. I feel horrible, so I at least want to contribute in the city election coming up in a few days. I've done some research and my district council member seems like an easy choice. Anybody have the lowdown on the people running for mayor and the at-large members? I don't want to just vote for incumbents (which I can't do for mayor since McFarlane is running for reelction).

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I got a very nice surprise over the weekend! My fraternity brother is running for an open seat in the Louisiana State House out of New Orleans. Back in undergrad, he was a fervent libertarian posting articles from mises.org and arguing about "the toxicity of environmentalism" on our chapter forums. I was very pleasantly surprised to see he's running as a Democrat with an environmental management plank on his platform!

I spoke to him today and when I mentioned his change of heart over the last decade he was very forthright about it: "we all can go through times when we realize how wrong we once were, and I fully admit that I was wrong."

Since I last spoke to him, he went to law school, worked in the financial industry following 2008, and lived in New Orleans gaining an entirely new viewpoint on life that he had missed out on by growing up in a much more rural area.

:unsmith: things get better, folks. You can go from a die hard ancap libertarian to a democratic candidate in just a few years!

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So for the guy who was asking, here's the state list of Virginia AFL-CIO endorsements. The litmus test was "Do you support repealing Right To Work laws?" Everyone on here, to my knowledge, is on board with that.

We're doing voter walks on Saturdays again, so if you find yourself in the Beltway area in the next six weeks and wanna eat donuts and make our commonwealth suck a little less, PM your intrepid moron goon, and we can hang out. VA Voter Goonsquad: The Modern Successful Goon Project.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

So for the guy who was asking, here's the state list of Virginia AFL-CIO endorsements. The litmus test was "Do you support repealing Right To Work laws?" Everyone on here, to my knowledge, is on board with that.

We're doing voter walks on Saturdays again, so if you find yourself in the Beltway area in the next six weeks and wanna eat donuts and make our commonwealth suck a little less, PM your intrepid moron goon, and we can hang out. VA Voter Goonsquad: The Modern Successful Goon Project.

Thanks. I was planning to volunteer for the Amy Laufer campaign in Senate district 17, and this endorsement makes me more willing to go canvass for her. I appreciate it.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Northam, guess who went and rat hosed the Virginia GOP? Medicaid expansion without means testing. What a fine swell day.

https://www.richmond.com/news/virgi...2ad8cef9ba.html

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has there been any polling on Virginia? Is everyone just assuming Democrats will get the trifecta?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Speaking of Northam, guess who went and rat hosed the Virginia GOP? Medicaid expansion without means testing. What a fine swell day.

https://www.richmond.com/news/virgi...2ad8cef9ba.html

This owns haha get wrecked Republicans.

It's a good sign that even Northam can figure out that it's smart for Democrats to do good things right before an election instead of triangulating to the right to appeal to FYGM Republican voters

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Badger of Basra posted:

Has there been any polling on Virginia? Is everyone just assuming Democrats will get the trifecta?

Some is supposed to come out in the coming days, but everything I've heard is no surprises. A few folks are at risk (mainly Hala Ayala in northern Prince William County) but the un-gerrymandered map has changed the game and nobody has a crystal clear picture.

On the other hand, Herring is trying to Legalize It and Northam is offering free Real-ID cards to returning citizens, so it's a strangely active October for our executive branch here. Just kinda quietly doing all the right things while everything explodes 100 miles north of them in Washington.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So I guess Joe Arpaio is running next year to get his old sheriff's job back. Cool.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ego-bot posted:

So I guess Joe Arpaio is running next year to get his old sheriff's job back. Cool.

Honestly, it might just serve to redirect conservative donations to a scam campaign.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
He's 87 years old. Why can't these idiots just retire.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lambert posted:

He's 87 years old. Why can't these idiots just retire.

Because there's still money to be fleeced from gullible fools.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Washington Post answering my question (sort of):

https://twitter.com/geoffreyvs/status/1180133518237675522?s=21

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Give Lee Carter your coffee money.

The first right-to-work state might become the first to reverse course.

https://vpm.org/news/articles/7533/survey-finds-diminished-democratic-support-for-right-to-work-law

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Give Lee Carter your coffee money.

The first right-to-work state might become the first to reverse course.

https://vpm.org/news/articles/7533/survey-finds-diminished-democratic-support-for-right-to-work-law

Didn't Missouri reverse their law via referendum in 2018?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone in Miami voting for commissioner? Hoping someone's already done the research for me into these people