Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If it's the latter I genuinely have no idea what Disney is going to do if a deal doesn't happen.

Stop making Spider-Man poo poo for 10 years and turn the character into a ghost, based on the X-Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The last time Marvel had a dispute over characters they shuttered the line (X-Men) or unceremoniously just stopped making new comics (Fantastic Four) while drawing WAY the gently caress back on merch (you didn't notice the lack of X-Men shirts and poo poo until recently eh)

And Marvel left a possible sequel hook open in Spidergeddon last year. . .

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

comics spiderman will go back to his home planet and the month after there will be a new friendly neighborhood ant-man named beter barker

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think they's be dicks enough to have it just be Norman Osborne, the Notorious Spider-Man.

And just have him be a villain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given the state of modern comics, it's probably a mercy.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Brother Entropy posted:

comics spiderman will go back to his home planet and the month after there will be a new friendly neighborhood ant-man named beter barker

Night Monkey

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If it's the latter I genuinely have no idea what Disney is going to do if a deal doesn't happen.

Lemme tell you a story about an old Spidey plot line called 'Identity Crisis'...

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

DeimosRising posted:

Lol this is definitely not any better

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

“I, a brown Muslim immigrant, love the status quo and the dilution of measures designed to preserve my dignity and life!”

"I, a brown Muslim not an immigrant (weirdly racist of you to call a native born character an immigrant) written by a Muslim not an immigrant, really need you to do anything you can to prevent an open fascist who's specifically saying he'll drive out or hurt my people no matter how long they've lived here, from taking an office of power."

No idea why that Muslim writer might have written such a thing in 2016.

quote:

That's even more anti-semetic than I remember.
There's literally nothing antisemitic in there unless you think all old men are jewish.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 21, 2019

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
More fun facts about the storyline:
- She's getting people to vote FOR the Sanders/Independent stand-in against the status quo candidate and the fascist. They outright say the status quo is bad.
- The rest of that montage includes people being disenfranchised by not being informed of their worker's rights.
- She beats the poo poo out of a couple of police style goons trying to stop people voting.
- When the fascist uses corruption in the status-quo system to gently caress over the independent, disabled female mayor in a later story, Ms. Marvel beats the poo poo out of him and his goons, who are basically super ICE, are all white and talk excitedly about how there's totally a silent majority ready to rise up against undesirables in support of them.
- The supposed undesirables take shelter in a mosque, which is immediately partially blown up by super ICE, injuring the Imam.
- There's literally a conversation in the comic where one of the main characters says "I resent the implication that justice is tied to capitalism. That was the system trying to syphon popularity off our movement." She is not depicted as wrong or a strawman.

So you're really really mad that the anti fascism storylines didn't include a muslim writer having a muslim teen girl tell people that voting is worthless and to immediately violently overtake the political system the second a candidate that you disagree with appears without ever trying any peaceful resolution, in a disney book aimed at getting young girls into comics. Also literally none of you bothered the read the book in question you're mad at.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Extremely lol of you to think that Disney would shitcan the only character of the marvel comics that normal people actually give a poo poo about

Spiderman isn't the fantastic four or loving ghost rider, Spiderman IS marvel comics, if they tried to dumpster Spiderman the same way they did FF then the entire comics branch would be shuttered within the year. Disney has spent the entire MCU trying to make up for the fact that they don't own the flagship Marvel character, and Sony genuinely has them by the balls here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Y'know, it'd totally be fitting to have Japanese Spider-man fight the Spider-slayers. ...also only being familiar with them from one promotional mini-comic (the arc where Spidey and JJJ were handcuffed together) I'm surprised to see there's been so many incarnations of htem.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Extremely lol of you to think that Disney would shitcan the only character of the marvel comics that normal people actually give a poo poo about

Spiderman isn't the fantastic four or loving ghost rider, Spiderman IS marvel comics, if they tried to dumpster Spiderman the same way they did FF then the entire comics branch would be shuttered within the year. Disney has spent the entire MCU trying to make up for the fact that they don't own the flagship Marvel character, and Sony genuinely has them by the balls here.

Yeah. Spider-Man overtook Batman as the world's most popular superhero. Marvel's not gonna kill the golden goose, despite whatever restrictions they got on him.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. Spider-Man overtook Batman as the world's most popular superhero. Marvel's not gonna kill the golden goose, despite whatever restrictions they got on him.

Spider-Man is definitely one of the superheroes that is so imprinted on the public consciousness everyone at least knows of and can recognize.

I'm pretty sure that prior to the MCU happening, if you asked a bunch randos off the street to name a superhero, he'd be in the top 3 named (along with Batman and Superman)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
e: Yeah, pretty sure they still have tv rights. There is still this weird loophole where Disney could have Tom Holland in tv shows and Sony has him in movies and it's a big "What the gently caress?".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 22, 2019

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I really wish this could somehow end with Spectacular Spider-Man Season 3 but I know it won't. :(

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So many people have this weird misinformation that Marvel is why the new movies were doing well. They were barely involved save for 1-2 people. I believe Holland's contract is also with -Sony- so...

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I though Marvel Studios also contributed some creative staff as well, house writers and such. Though they could have been consultants so the movie would have contained consistant continuity with the rest of the MCU.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

We made a billion dollars gently caress you DisneyMarvel!

*Forgets that ASM2 made like a billion dollars and was like warm meh*

ASM2 was actually the lowest-grossing Spider-Man movie. It was a flop for Sony because they spend too much on advertising while not having access to revenue from toys and merchandise for the movie (Disney gets those).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I though Marvel Studios also contributed some creative staff as well, house writers and such. Though they could have been consultants so the movie would have contained consistant continuity with the rest of the MCU.

Marvel had creative input into Homecoming and Far From Home, but Sony had final say over the scripts (both for those movies and how Spidey was treated in Civil War and Avengers Whatever).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Renegade Cut has an excellent video on the Spider-Man situation.

https://youtu.be/wJgSltWs7Tw

Basically, Sony is responsible for the success of this version of Spider-Man, and most people wrongly attribute it to Disney.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

ASM2 was actually the lowest-grossing Spider-Man movie. It was a flop for Sony because they spend too much on advertising while not having access to revenue from toys and merchandise for the movie (Disney gets those).

It also dropped a month after Captain America: Winter Soldier and was quickly followed up by Godzilla 2014 and X-Men: Days of Future Past, which was not a good place for it to try and carve a niche for itself. Marvel had also just started filming Age of Ultron and were really ramping up their OOGA CHAKA trailer campaign for the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy which were both naturally grabbing lots of press so ASM2 was always going to struggle to put asses on seats and Sony really had to to pump a ton of cash into desperately trying to keep the ticket buying public's attention on it any way they could.

I was curious about how all the Spider-Man films did compared to each other (and came over all :goonsay:) so I googled a random graph making site and plugged in the adjusted* box office figures for all of them:

Amazing Spider-Man 2 made pretty much the same amount as ASM1 but then again so did Spider-Man: Homecoming. Spider-Man: Far From Home was back up in the same zone as the Raimi films but still fell slightly short of all three of them. Note also that the Raimi films didn't really get a run in China so they were pretty much cut off from a huge revenue stream, the Chinese box office makes up between 13% to 17% of the total of the more recent films.

Conclusion: RAIMI WINS

* There's no adjusted worldwide figures so I just took the multiplier for the adjusted domestic figures and applied it to the total box office, for whatever that's worth

Edit: if you adjust for inflation and take the foreign box office into account then the 2002 Spider-Man film was bigger than Superman '78, Batman '89 and all the Nolan Dark Knight films, and was the biggest superhero film ever until Avengers came along a decade later. It was also Sony/Columbia's biggest film in their entire history, all of which explains why Marvel are so intent on getting it back and Sony is so goddamn crazy about keeping it.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 22, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Spider-Man cost about 140 million to make and Amazing Spider-Man cost 230 million. The grosses were similar, but Sony had to dump a whole lot more money to get those same results.

AMSM2 is estimated to have cost upwards of $300 million to make. I do not know if that included marketing. But take the venue cut and marketing and the smaller cut you get from foreign markets and I’m not sure it made that much money even before you factor in Hollywood accounting.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
God drat it I'm still discovering subtle moments in this film I hadn't already noticed nearly a year after it was first released. This youtube video goes over the connections between Miles as a character and The Prowler and links that to an interesting fact about Miles' first meeting with Spider-Man A and the visualisation of their "spidey sense".
(Jump to 1:40 to skip the intro)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2LEcALlFvY

In case that didn't convince you, note also that the radioactive spider that bites Miles mixes the two colour schemes with its green/purple head and red/blue legs:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1190373799360745472?s=20

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

yesssssss

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

keep making these til the end of time

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So this one has Spiders-Man, I hope

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I wonder if the PS4 game Spider-Man will be there this time. They'll probably have a new game out by then maybe?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jet Jaguar posted:

So this one has Spiders-Man, I hope

I'm hoping for this guy:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wonder if the PS4 game Spider-Man will be there this time. They'll probably have a new game out by then maybe?
Game Suit is in the background of the ending credits. Was it in Peter's hall of suits, too? I think I remember seeing it there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think new game will focus on Miles more.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

FilthyImp posted:

Game Suit is in the background of the ending credits. Was it in Peter's hall of suits, too? I think I remember seeing it there.

Game Suit was in the Spider Cave, yes.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

FilthyImp posted:

It's second from the left, you can see it when they first enter the spider-cave.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A Spider-Man 2 as a PS5 launch title would be a slam dunk.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Roadie posted:

I'm hoping for this guy:

There's actually a Marvel character like that:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's also the SpidersMan that's comprised of a colony of 10,000 spiders who think they're Peter Parker

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

FilthyImp posted:

There's also the SpidersMan that's comprised of a colony of 10,000 spiders who think they're Peter Parker

Does each spider think it's a Peter, or is it a hive mind? Are they a part of the leftover clones from the 90s? Did they have an Uncle Ben colony of spiders that got killed because they didn't bother pouncing on a robber that walked though a cobweb?

You could be making that entirely up, but that's not even high enough on the Spider Stories weird-o-meter to even question the existence. God comic books get strange, I love it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pointlessone posted:

You could be making that entirely up, but that's not even high enough on the Spider Stories weird-o-meter to even question the existence. God comic books get strange, I love it.
Pete fell into a bunch of genetically irradiated spiders and they merged/ate him/whatever so it's a hive mind kind of thing going on where they full the suit collectively.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

FilthyImp posted:

Pete fell into a bunch of genetically irradiated spiders and they merged/ate him/whatever so it's a hive mind kind of thing going on where they full the suit collectively.

I, too, read Swamp Thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

FilthyImp posted:

There was a back up story for Spiders Man. He fell into the vat and the spiders consumed him, yeah.

Also, his suit got torn in a fight and the spiders swarmed out and ate Hobgoblin.