Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hi hello this game is extremely good

:blastu:

^^^ me playing this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
How's the co-op with strangers? I like drop-in/out games, and I thought I remembered this being marketed as such.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

How's the co-op with strangers? I like drop-in/out games, and I thought I remembered this being marketed as such.

Echoing this question, how easily drop-in/out is the game? I've got three other friends that are interested in getting the game, and it'd be nice to know if we could just play with whatever permutations of people we have available without screwing over the dude who's left out.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

drop in/out is kind of lovely. You have to wait for the other dude to reach a crystal resting place. For example: I waited like 5 minutes, and the minute I spawned in after he rested he booted me from his game.

Also gently caress Gorefist. Everything I see online to beat him is just 'grind more to get upgrades' which is a great tactic for the first boss you encounter.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I've had nothing but good experiences with random coop, although it is about to have to spawn at a bonfire.

Coop is at the hosts level unless someone is +3 levels away from the host (read the Reddit post by the devs about level scaling) in which case things are there level.

I was level 5 playing with some friends and they weren't having it too bad. You can level up a small set of gear fast.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Regrettable posted:

If you got the first two in normal dungeons, then the third is in the dungeon that gives you a debuff where your health drains so you basically have to speedrun it.

Also, the Triage trait helps a ton with this part.

I found my first one in the area you mentioned in spoilers. I'm now at the end boss of rhom and have cleared all the dungeons twice and no dice. I could look again. Are 3 even guaranteed to spawn with the ring and all?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

vandalism posted:

I found my first one in the area you mentioned in spoilers. I'm now at the end boss of rhom and have cleared all the dungeons twice and no dice. I could look again. Are 3 even guaranteed to spawn with the ring and all?

No - I think the intended way to get the armor is to get it piecemeal with whatever rods you happen to find per run, since I've been through Rhom 4 times and I've never seen more than two rods in one run.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

vandalism posted:

Kanos posted:

No - I think the intended way to get the armor is to get it piecemeal with whatever rods you happen to find per run, since I've been through Rhom 4 times and I've never seen more than two rods in one run.

I managed to find all 3 in my game but I don't know if there are always 3 in every game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A major problem I seem to have found with the game is that (in the second world, at least) it doesn't feel like you have much incentive to explore. Other than stumbling across the odd side dungeon or cache of scrap, there's no cool secrets to find or bits of armour hidden in any alcoves. Given that your base and the very first room you enter out of the tutorial stages give you both a new set of gear and a gun, that's a huge letdown. I'm not expecting the game to toss me new gear every 7 seconds like Diablo 3, but give me a reason to explore off the beaten path, or at least not beeline for the next boss.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There is stuff off the beaten path, gear, traits, etc.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
A patch has been released with some rebalancing and fixes:

Remnant posted:

Build# 214293

BALANCE
  • Mender's Charm range increased from 3m to 10m.
  • Jewel of the Black Sun buffed.
  • Spitfire alt fire (Flamethrower) fire-rate increased (MORE DMG!).
  • Particle Accelerator alt fire (Gravity Core) buildup requirement increased.
  • Particle Accelerator alt fire (Gravity Core) damage dramatically increased.
  • Ruin alt fire (Undying) HP regeneration now scales with the Triage Trait (starts at 50%, max Triage to 100%).
  • Ruin alt fire (Undying) buildup requirement increased.
  • Ruin revive damage reduction reduced from 25% to 10%.
  • Breath of the Desert damage reduced slightly and has a few additional cast-time frames.
  • Stormcaller now reduces incoming damage by 50% and increases movement to near-sprint speed.
  • Seed Caller (THE BOYS!) health increased from 80 to 150.
  • Iron Sentinel damage and duration increased.
  • Veil of the Black Tear base HP doubled.

ENEMIES
  • Swamp Swarm Host (Big Fat Guy) HP reduced & corrosion range reduced to better enable "no-hit" runs.
  • Fixed The Ent's lack of aggression in alternate combat mode.

BUG FIXES
  • Razorstone damage increase properly set to 100% (was accidentally set to 200% instead of 100%).
  • When talking to Ravager, the fog wall will now disappear.
  • Root Rot Mist (pink) no longer prevents you from aiming.
  • Dying with the Undying Mod no longer removes the Curse of the Citadel debuff.
  • Clients wearing the Ring of Evasion will not longer have infinite iFrames.
  • Irradiated debuff now properly reduces any amount of stamina by half (instead of a flat 50).
  • Fix for Sniper Rifle getting locked into scope mode.
  • Dying on Root Horror no longer causes issues with other boss rewards showing up prematurely.
  • Many fixes for Swarm/Breath of the Desert style mods allowing fire-rate exploits.
  • Breath of the Desert no longer targets beams.
  • Fix for end-game cinematic.
  • Fix for getting knocked out of fuse-box interaction, causing door to remain permanently locked.
  • Removed loot from breakables on Claviger.

MISCELLANEOUS
  • Implemented solution to prevent profiles from being corrupted.
  • Properly cleared tactical points properly on end-play (causing some issues with bosses).
  • Gave the goodboy in Rhom a few additional snacks.
  • Achievements fixed (for PC).

Please restart your game client to apply the update. Players will need to be on the same version to group up in multiplayer.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

really digging this so far. only just now gotten into the sewers after trekking through the first stretch and it feels solid to play. as long as the combat is nice like that then i can usually overlook a couple janky aspects here and there. really excited to pick up some wear poo poo in terms of gear and traits!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is nightmare difficulty explicitly supposed to be a new game+ kind of thing? has anyone had any success playing it with a fresh character?

im fighting shroud as my first boss after like 2 hours on the first dungeon and this seems uh, hard

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

it says it is for high level characters

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
well it says high level players

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

aw hell, ran across some dude wearing a weird wooden mask and told him to give it to me since it was obviously loving with him and he got hostile. didn't consider maybe leaving to see if it would reset him and if there was a better way to go about it, but i killed him. it has low armor but high root resist and gives health regen, at least?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Johnny Joestar posted:

aw hell, ran across some dude wearing a weird wooden mask and told him to give it to me since it was obviously loving with him and he got hostile. didn't consider maybe leaving to see if it would reset him and if there was a better way to go about it, but i killed him. it has low armor but high root resist and gives health regen, at least?

If you run across an evil tree next to a checkpoint you can wear that mask to talk to it and get a sweet take. Offing him is the right choice

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Rhom is definitely more brutal than Earth, oof.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hackan Slash posted:

If you run across an evil tree next to a checkpoint you can wear that mask to talk to it and get a sweet take. Offing him is the right choice

oh, thanks for the heads up. seemed kinda suspicious. i felt sort of bad at first, but, whatever.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Rhom is definitely more brutal than Earth, oof.

No kidding. Got to a dungeon with some shooty dudes and, uh, they shoot hard.

Plus the dogs that can usually get a hit in before I notice them whittle me down quite a bit.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Apparently they enabled VoIP with no menu option to disable it? :psyduck:

Go here

quote:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Remnant\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Edit this

quote:

engine.ini

Add these to the end

quote:

[Voice]
bEnabled=False

[OnlineSubsystem]
bHasVoiceEnabled=False

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Where on earth can I find the coin to get ace’s revolver? I’m past the first boss and in subway tunnels full of red mushrooms. Have I missed it or is it not guaranteed to show up?

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

clone on the phone posted:

Where on earth can I find the coin to get ace’s revolver? I’m past the first boss and in subway tunnels full of red mushrooms. Have I missed it or is it not guaranteed to show up?

It is not guaranteed, nor in any specific area (other than it being in the first world) as far as I can tell. My first game I found it in the first dungeon, and then later with friends it was out in one of the street areas near the end. Speaking of which, I've been through the first world like 8 times now over various friends games and I still have never seen the healing item vendor guy's ring.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Holy gently caress, we started over after beating the game on Hard and just got full party wiped to the first boss three times :stare:

We may be bad at gaem :downs:

Traits cap at 20 by the by, so there is a (very high) ceiling on eventual power.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Verviticus posted:

is nightmare difficulty explicitly supposed to be a new game+ kind of thing? has anyone had any success playing it with a fresh character?

im fighting shroud as my first boss after like 2 hours on the first dungeon and this seems uh, hard

Nightmare is New Game++++ material. Also, I was watching a stream the night that the game was put in early release and the dev who tweaked the damage numbers was in chat and said armor does basically nothing in Nightmare because almost everything will oneshot you anyway.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Finally got around to beating the final boss in normal mode after an accidental reset about 2/3 of the way through (didn't know what it did at the time). Trait level 165ish. Weapons and armor at 18/19. Terrible fight, but mechanically easy once you know the drill.

Rerolled world in hard difficulty, and it feels just about right. Things hit REALLY hard, but they still don't feel too much like HP sponges. It's nice that exp continues to pour in at a relatively quick rate. Burning through a few areas with a friend ended up with another 6 levels.

Looking forward to seeing their plans for new content because i can see this getting old fairly quick once you've gotten all the weapons/armor/items/traits and have cleared the game a few times just for shits and grins.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
The patch deleted my game and made me re download all 30gb. Not happy about that.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, do any goons here play this on the PS4? I just want to know if the console version plays and run decently.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Really interested in this game, especially with the possibility of playing co-op with a friend. I saw the summary in the OP, but I had some questions:

1. Is there an intro solo-only section that we should take care of ahead of time?
2. Can we progress through the campaign together? I'm somewhat confused with the part about each of our worlds being different.
3. If there is shared progression, does that mean we would have to stick around the same character level?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Really interested in this game, especially with the possibility of playing co-op with a friend. I saw the summary in the OP, but I had some questions:

1. Is there an intro solo-only section that we should take care of ahead of time?
2. Can we progress through the campaign together? I'm somewhat confused with the part about each of our worlds being different.
3. If there is shared progression, does that mean we would have to stick around the same character level?

Yes, but it's only twenty minutes or so.
Yes.
Yes, it's best at this time to have a character for co-op play and another for solo stuff.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, around 20 minutes or so.

Yes, but only in one of your worlds. Everyone's world is different. The host's world progress will save, the visitor's will not. All levels, loot, etc will persist though. If you plan on playing through the entire game together, this won't be an issue.

I'm not quite sure how the scaling works with characters of wildly different levels. I'm sure the devs addressed it in a post on Reddit recently though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

vandalism posted:

The patch deleted my game and made me re download all 30gb. Not happy about that.

Thats bizarre do you know what folder your save was in?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Is this available on disc for PS4?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Question, if I'm hosting and have a newbie character, and a friend brings in a geared character, does the game scale based off my gear, their gear, something in the middle?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Studio posted:

Question, if I'm hosting and have a newbie character, and a friend brings in a geared character, does the game scale based off my gear, their gear, something in the middle?

It'll scale to the highest player if the power levels are very different, so it's not friendly for mixing in a maxed out char with.

I'd keep a separate 'friends' multiplayer char and just use that for cooping. Otherwise if you stay roughly around the same power level (3 tiers? can't remember, it's in that reddit post), it's fine to group up or play solo.

When we did our normal playthrough we primarily played together, but occasionally soloed a bit between sessions to check up on some quests/go read lore/track down a missing item/farm up a few consumables or scrap, etc.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks for the information! This game wasn't on my radar at all but then everyone on social media and podcasts started talking about it all of a sudden

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Also don't sweat 'wasting' trait points or using up leveling mats, you can farm scrap and leveling materials infinitely easily, only the literal last level takes a fairly limited item (and even that is farmable across multiple world rerolls). You gain access to a respec item after beating the game, reasonably priced consumable on one of the vendors.

One note, before you reroll to a new world/hard mode, be sure to pay a visit to your favorite hour long consumable vendors and stock up. Those health/stamina/crit/armor potions are very nice for the hard mode bosses if you're playing 3p coop, they're loving nasty.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Swamp planet is giving me serious Myst/Riven vibes, it owns.

Does co-oping make the enemies tougher/harder at all? It feels at a really nice difficulty solo, hope multiplayer doesn't become a steamroller.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Swamp planet is giving me serious Myst/Riven vibes, it owns.

Does co-oping make the enemies tougher/harder at all? It feels at a really nice difficulty solo, hope multiplayer doesn't become a steamroller.

Many more enemies. It has teeth in 3p, it's not a cakewalk unless you're being absurdly conservative, or farming forever. I found the difficulty kind of went up and down depending on the specific area/dungeon/boss we were fighting, and depending on where our kit was at - you get a lot more gear and trait combo options in the mid-late game you just don't have early.

So far our replay on Hard has been good fun, and the boss fights have been substantially nastier. We're about to dive into the other worlds with our gear pushing towards 20, so we'll see how that plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I just started a boss that spawned flying skull adds and I couldn't dodge anything to save my life and good lord I see the complaints about adds now.

I blew through all my Spitfire ammo killing the flying skulls before I gave up and quit.