Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If that episode is classist, then the whole show is. It's like the entire premise of the show summed up in one episode. Rich/intellectual white guys are out of touch, assume blue collar stuff is for simpletons, get clowned on, learn some lesson about humility that they forget before the next episode.

It's also a painfully accurate depiction of someone who has a mental block against following instructions that aren't worded precisely correct, I can sadly attest.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

b-b-b-but they passed notes in french!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

food court bailiff posted:

b-b-b-but they passed notes in french!
They also drank FUCKKKKKIN LATTES before class.

Personal taste and all but I skip it when it comes up. Them being too cool to actually learn how poo poo works was just... meh

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

“too cool”? that’s what you took from that episode? Lmao

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's a reversal, dammit!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The joke is that they're the ones who voluntarily paid to go to the class so they're just wasting their own time and money just to roleplay as the high school slackers they never got to be as teenagers.

As always, the joke is on the Crane brothers.

It's a great episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
BTW, Frasier Mii Fighter is voice Type 7 Low.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

FRASIER CRANE'S HUMONGOUS rear end CONTEST!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

counterpoint: it's a great episode, it does not come off as classist at all unless you have terminal internet poisoning

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I for one found it really problematic how Frasier and Niles shot themselves in the foot and made complete fools of themselves by underestimating people with different skillsets

ugh, and all the comedy was at the Crane brothers expense too, can you say.... cancelled?????

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

“too cool”? that’s what you took from that episode? Lmao
They literally show up in Armani jackets and take swigs of wine in between periods. It's the worst!

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I for one found it really problematic how Frasier and Niles shot themselves in the foot and made complete fools of themselves by underestimating people with different skillsets

ugh, and all the comedy was at the Crane brothers expense too, can you say.... cancelled?????

Well yes that is the joke, it's always been the joke that the entire show plays on. Why do you find this 'really problematic'?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm :thejoke: on that one dude who found Motor Skills classist

I mean it is classist, in the sense of portraying upper class folks as utter twits incapable of handling life outside their rarified air. :monocle:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Close the thread!!! Close it!!! We've lost the privilege. :(

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I'm :thejoke: on that one dude who found Motor Skills classist

I mean it is classist, in the sense of portraying upper class folks as utter twits incapable of handling life outside their rarified air. :monocle:

It's me, I am :thejoke:. Indeed you are not that one dude.

I shall repair straight away to LE CIGAR VOLANT!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Looks like that's quite the gaffe!

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Dear god!!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Twist and then pull

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
You have the BIG Mercedes?!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My Hot and Foamy must have exploded!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

My Hot and Foamy must have exploded!

He used to be a detective!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

WampaLord posted:

He used to be a detective!

One of the top 10 Daphne lines of the series.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

sure

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm not sure what to tell you if you don't think practically the whole drat series is predicated on class differences

For gently caress's sake like the 4th or 5th episode has Martin directly calling out Frasier and Niles for making GBS threads on a normal restaurant

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That episode is terrifying because of the symbolic socioeconomic castration of the silk ties.

Not a Children posted:

For gently caress's sake like the 4th or 5th episode has Martin directly calling out Frasier and Niles for making GBS threads on a normal restaurant
A BIG STEAK? And Frenched Fries? Frasier this is positively quaint compared to La Bouche Ebullante's "hint of beef" dinner!

Frasier is the weirdo that has season tickets to the opera but wears grimy sweats and goes to bars every now and then and can't fathom Golden Corral sized portions.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

idk if its all about class differences

i always got the impression it was more a "life is what you make it" situation and that frasier has a really hard time acknowledging that there isn't such a thing as the ubermensch

it also helps that i was able to pinpoint early that nobody goes into psychology in the first place unless they desperately want to know what is wrong with their own self

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's a pretty basic 'cobbler's children have no shoes' joke but turns out to be completely accurate.

Freddy has no chance of being remotely normal but seems to be making the best of it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

when you boil it down it's slobs vs snobs comedy which basically never goes out of style

add in all the farce and incredible physical humor and you got yourself a laugh factory

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

That episode is terrifying because of the symbolic socioeconomic castration of the silk ties.

In fairness, good ties are expensive. I used to have to wear a suit five, sometimes six days a week in a past job (director of marketing at an upscale hotel), and if someone loving snipped one of my ties off without warning, I'd have gotten pissed as hell. That's the one bit of that episode that has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the only thing that annoys me about that restaurant is that I want to eat at that restaurant and it is fictional.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That restaurant is Norms with a more Country Western theme.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I'm coming up to the final episodes of the show and I gotta say I am really enjoying the accidental Aaron Eckhart bromance.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

screaden posted:

I'm coming up to the final episodes of the show and I gotta say I am really enjoying the accidental Aaron Eckhart bromance.

Season 11 is really, really solid and a nice return to form. Kelsey Grammer was pretty vocal about hating how "serious" seasons 9 and 10 got, and so the writing staff was switched up and they really worked to focus upon the humor of the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: the only thing that annoys me about that restaurant is that I want to eat at that restaurant and it is fictional.

IIRC it came up before that IRL that restaurant probably got completely swamped by hipsters a few years later.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Timby posted:

Season 11 is really, really solid and a nice return to form. Kelsey Grammer was pretty vocal about hating how "serious" seasons 9 and 10 got, and so the writing staff was switched up and they really worked to focus upon the humor of the show.

Yet Season 11 season had Ronee, one of the worst guest characters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Experiment posted:

Yet Season 11 season had Ronee, one of the worst guest characters.

Yeah, she's awful, but she's only in like six episodes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't find her aggressively awful, she's just kind of there.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
A tragic misuse of Wendie Malick

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cam Winston's mom was Martin's one true soul mate. Just like Claire was Frasier's and Poppy was Niles'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cam Winston's mom was Martin's one true soul mate

:hmmyes: